• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Bayern Munich (UCL 19/2/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Matip

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 51 36.7%
  • Robertson

• Henderson

Votes: 64 46.0%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Keita [off 76’]

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Salah

• Firmino [off 76’]

• Mane

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Milner [on 76’]

• Origi [on 76’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
considering I think we played good yesterday against one of the best clubs in the world who also played very good.. and we looked fresh... I would say it helped us over not helping us for sure. those who want to act like it hindered us because we didn't win is just silly. That break was not just for that game either.. it's for the rest of the season so if we lose against Man u.. then the people who say the break hinders us might have a good argument then .. but as of right now they have absolutely have no argument in my opinion

one of the reasons we kept a clean sheet yesterday against Bayern is because of that break and getting a whole week to game plan for them. they hardly threaten us and we did very well defensively with no VVD. I doubt we would of been that good defensively with no VVD and Matip + fab partnership without that break.

I also think there is no way we could of played at that such of a high pace as long as we did yesterday without that break. we pressed high the entire first half it seemed like to me. Bayern were very good at beating it overall for the most part better than City even at playing out from the back I thought against us. I think a lot of that had to do with Neuer and how good his ball distribution really is.....
....oh and don't forget to mention that the Earth is really flat.

Seriously though, when are people going to admit that playing and winning is the only habit that is common to champions. All this clever stuff of resting only really helps with stamina but that could easily be managed through sensible rotation. What we lose from not regularly playing competitive matches is our sharpness and more importantly our confidence and belief. I still think this team are capable but please.....no more breaks :shocked:

Incognito

The Normal One
Without the so called breaks we haven't won anything as of now since Klopp has arrived and have usually fallen short either mid season or towards the end.

With these breaks, we are in no position to conclude if it'll be helpful in long run or not at this current moment, and until we reach the conclusion of this season. Better to wait before concluding without strong evidence to suggest otherwise!

santana

every one thinks mancity will win the trophy .. why ?
because mancity is strong team !
so the level is important and i think liverpool on the right path but if you want to be a champion then you must think , feel and act like a champion !

Red over the water

considering I think we played good yesterday against one of the best clubs in the world who also played very good.. and we looked fresh... I would say it helped us over not helping us for sure. those who want to act like it hindered us because we didn't win is just silly. That break was not just for that game either.. it's for the rest of the season so if we lose against Man u.. then the people who say the break hinders us might have a good argument then .. but as of right now they have absolutely have no argument in my opinion

one of the reasons we kept a clean sheet yesterday against Bayern is because of that break and getting a whole week to game plan for them. they hardly threaten us and we did very well defensively with no VVD. I doubt we would of been that good defensively with no VVD and Matip + fab partnership without that break.

I also think there is no way we could of played at that such of a high pace as long as we did yesterday without that break. we pressed high the entire first half it seemed like to me. Bayern were very good at beating it overall for the most part better than City even at playing out from the back I thought against us. I think a lot of that had to do with Neuer and how good his ball distribution really is.....
All good points.

Personally I think the break helped, but a sample of one or two games is just not statistically significant enough to draw conclusions yet. The players could be dead on their feet and beat West Ham and Leicester on a given day, due to superior quality, or they could be fresh as daisies and lose. That’s the weird thing about football! As for Bayern Munich I would expect a big performance at home, against a European heavyweight, in the last 16 of the CL, and that’s what we got, with lots of pressing as you say, albeit leading to a scoreless draw.

We might be able to see the effects of the break a bit more definitely by the end of the season, and in the meantime we have to trust the sports science people. I have a vague recollection of the team ‘hitting the wall’ a couple of years ago and it seems this season has been carefully mapped out so we don’t do that, both in the evolving style of play and also a couple of breaks.

Hopefully we should be good to play hard to the end of the season from this point on, and we’ll see what it brings.

Last edited:

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
....oh and don't forget to mention that the Earth is really flat.

Seriously though, when are people going to admit that playing and winning is the only habit that is common to champions. All this clever stuff of resting only really helps with stamina but that could easily be managed through sensible rotation. What we lose from not regularly playing competitive matches is our sharpness and more importantly our confidence and belief. I still think this team are capable but please.....no more breaks :shocked:
I think it helps if you have the players to rotate. We rotated in the FA Cup and lost.

If we want evidence of how playing twice a week throughout a season impacts us then you only have to look at JK's first 2 seasons. We made 2 cup finals in his first, lost both and the fixture congestion killed us in the league. Finished 8th. Second season we were 2nd at the start of Jan within striking distance of Chelsea. We played 10 games over the next 5 weeks, including 5 cup ties. We won only one of those games (Plymouth in the FA Cup) and at the end of it we were out of all the cup competitions and were down to 5th in the league.

There's no right or wrong answer here and I'd like to see us winning cups too but the momentum/rhythm thing only really applies if you've got a deep squad and can swap quality players in and out regularly. We are not in that position. Like it or not, JK is used to working with a midwinter break and if he gets one by being dumped out of the cups early on then he can probably live with it. He's tried to win everything in previous seasons and all it's got him is poor results, knackered players and a ton of injuries. In future years as the squad depth improves maybe it'll be different but for now I think he's right to be pragmatic.

melbournered

A question was put to Jurgen in the after match presser suggesting that the team lacked sharpness due to the break we had. He was very dismissive of the question. That will do me.
I would imagine having optimal training conditions in good weather as opposed to miserable freezing and wet conditions at Melwood, would lead to quality training sessions. And an extra bit of team bonding wouldn't go astray either.
I think we will see the benefits.

RedLar

Why is it Silly? We missed several sitters. A sharp side would have stuck the chances we had in the back of the net. Like the sharp side we had last year.

Doesn't make the time off the actual reason, but suggesting it didn't help is hardly out of the question.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
There was talk of how poor Munchen were and how our attack would play hell with their defence. Well, Munchen are not a poor side and are within striking distance of catching Dortmund at the top of the Bundesliga. They also came with a game plan having done their homework on us and really gave us a game. Having said that we almost ripped their game plan to shreds and would have done if our goal scoring chances had been taken. It's going to be tough over at their place with the European away record we have this season, but hey, we have to come good sometime, so why not at the return leg. Mane can't keep on shooting like he did, so I am living in hope that he'll come good at the Allianz Arena. A win or score draw and we are through to the next round.
:celebrating: Allez la rouge !!!

Noo Noo

On the other hand, we have looked blunt at times in the attack for quite a while now - and continuing playing was not an option once knocked out of the cups. The rest was not optional, it was just a matter how best to use the time. Not sure that the warm weather mini-camp accomplished much, but in previous years sticking around Melwood hasn't helped much either.
The only issue I have with going abroad for training camps (and games for that matter) is flying and the effects this seems to have on the body and in particular athletes. Note that we've had just several players come down with illness of sorts. I cant say if its connected but its certainly crossed my mind. Previously, we've also seen muscle injuries following internationals and I get the feeling that flying makes the issue worse.

I'm sure Klopp and the fleet of sports scientists will know better but I do get that nagging feeling with it.

Red Eyes

A question was put to Jurgen in the after match presser suggesting that the team lacked sharpness due to the break we had. He was very dismissive of the question. That will do me.
I would imagine having optimal training conditions in good weather as opposed to miserable freezing and wet conditions at Melwood, would lead to quality training sessions. And an extra bit of team bonding wouldn't go astray either.
I think we will see the benefits.
Not sure why he would be dismissive tbh.

It’s a fair question given that he has chosen to do it twice over the last couple of months.

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
So bizarre all this confusion about whether it was a good result or not or whether we'd take a 2-1, or a 1-0. I was gobsmacked that professional pundits said they rather a 0-0 than a 2-1 win... ANY lead is better than a draw in any situation. As much as people feel as though the psychology or mentality of a team and their opposition changes, I'm certain the statistics show that those who are leading are more likely to win a game and/or two-legged tie in this case. I'd wager a bet that no one can find any statistics of a professional sports team in any sport who wins more games from a drawn or losing position than a leading position.

It's as simple as considering the following: Is it more likely a team will win if they have a 1 goal handicap compared to no handicap?
Or using the league as an example... Would you rather a 3 point lead over City or be square on points at any given stage?
The statistics you mentioned might be right.
What I meant was the approach of our style of play will be different at Bayern with that 0-0 yesterday than we had won.
From a psychological aspect you will first defend your lead. And if you concede a goal or two, like at Paris, it’s difficult to change your approach. I think with tat 0-0 at the start into the second leg our players will be more sharp.

Your question in your last phrase has nothing to do with my post. I were talking about goals, not a 3-point-lead over City in the league.
Name me only one poster on here who likes to be square with City on points than three points ahead.