Post Match: Liverpool v Bournemouth (EPL 7/3/20 12.30pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Gomez

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • Milner

Votes: 104 82.5%
  • Fabinho

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 84’]

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Salah [GOAL 25’]

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Firmino [off 90+2’]

• Mane [GOAL 33’]

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Lallana [on 84]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Origi [on 90+2’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Notasuperfan

Thanks to Milly's goal saving clearance, we barely won this match. Fabinho's performance is better from last week's but still pretty far far away from his usual levels. Our forwards are up for it, our defence is up for it as well but the entire midfield seems to be so pedestrian. Klopp's substitutions were not very good today as well.

Bournemouth was literally playing with 10 men for the last 20 minutes and we can't muster any pace in the midfield when Lallana is playing. As for Origi, I was literally facepalming myself when he found space between their RB and CB, drove into the space and ends up slipping. Fuck me, if only we have a player next season with a better acceleration and balance, that would be countless game-sealing goals for us when we catch the opposition out. I really fear for us next January when we have to make do with Origi and Shaqiri.

On the whole, decent performance from our forwards but all of us including the supporters need to raise the standards higher or else we will no doubt crash out of the CL with a whimper.

Flobs

FADA
Gee I'm a bit worried about Atletico after that..
Bobby needs to start scoring ASAP, can't believe he has zero this season at Anfield. Think he needs some competition (will Minamino be ready soon?) or we need someone more clinical through the middle. Not a fan of him coming so deep as neither Gini nor ox really score enough to take his space.

Milner was solid at LB and virg recovered from his poorer Watford performance but defensively we still look shakey especially as Adrian doesn't look in form. We might be okay on Wed if we are super clinical up front but will need to put in a much improved performance
Adrian was ok made some reasonable saves and forced the lob that Milner saved on the line (anything other than a lob and that was in). He's not the best GK in the EPL (we should know) yet he does his job when called upon.

Keegans Perm

Does anyone know why we now appear to be a long ball team? 5th highest long ball % in the league apparently.

Just seems weird since we’ve gone “route one” Bobby seems completely off his game, like his build up ability has gone.

We lose the ball so much with aimless punts into space behind.
Probably because we need a bit more skill and creativity in midfield. Someone that can beat a man which drags a defender out, which gives Bobby a bit more time and space to operate. Its a bit side to side and backwards at the moment, and thats when the ball ends up going long. Teams have started to nullify our wide play with Robbo and Trent bombing forward so imo we need a different way of breaking these park the bus teams down.

RED SAM

three points
front three firing again
9 more points to finally end 30 years of misery
Salah 70 goals in 100 games ( never done before)
Salah (one season wonder) 20 +goals per season ...EVERY SEASON
22 matches unbeaten in Anfield( previous record 21 games 1972 Liverpool)

WE WILL WIN THE LEAGUE
WE WILL MINCE THE SPANISH PAELLA
GO REDS ...YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Better but still not close to the usual standards. Lots of loose passing and suspect defending again, although the effort was certainly much better.

From an individual point of view, some players looked more like themselves. Salah's finish was superb after Mane screwed up what should have been an easy tap-in. And Mane got a nice goal and had a superb curler hit the bar. Chamberlain and Wijnaldum, the two CBs and Milner were very solid as well.

On the other hand, Adrian was inexplicably nervous and the form of the two Brasilians remains problematic. Fabinho looks so very slow while Firmino was largely anonymous even though he improved as the game wore on. He still can't buy a goal though and his confidence is suffering from it.

All in all, a step in the right direction but there needs to be a massive improvement to make it past the Spaniards.

P.S. The less said about Tierny's performance, the better.

macca1970

Does anyone know why we now appear to be a long ball team? 5th highest long ball % in the league apparently.

Just seems weird since we’ve gone “route one” Bobby seems completely off his game, like his build up ability has gone.

We lose the ball so much with aimless punts into space behind.
We only appear to be along ball team to those who don;t watch us and rely on stats. We mix it up all the time. If we go long, it's not the old fashioned in the mixer, big 'un for the little un'. It's more measured to use the flanks.

Add to that 50 yard inviting balls by VVD, and you get stats which you can make up a narrative.

We also play a certain way based on the team's tactics for that day.

Maria

FIFA Club Champions of The World
Ad-free Member
Hi Maria, sorry for not answering in the pre-match thread, I didn't get in there anymore.

Yes, of course it is. The less games are required to close on the title, the more pressure. And especially this kind of must-win games heaps a lot of pressure on the players. You could see how their whole confidence was knocked out of them after the first goal. The amount of mistakes they committed after that was staggering.

But credit to them. They got back in (thanks Mo for that great first goal, and thanks Sadio for keeping your cool on the second), and won the game by holding out while fighting against their nerves. That's all which was needed, well done lads!

Also, the Anfield crowd has a mental block as well apparently. The atmosphere at times was terrible, I felt for the players!
I am absolutely baffled at why we are playing not so well since the winter break. First, I thought it was the winter break, conserving energy for the 2nd half of the season and the bad luck with decisions not going our way and not having Henderson for a few games.
We still need to improve though. It is not over in my book. I never thought I would say this, but would like Man Utd to beat Man City tomorrow.
I don't understand why the fabled Anfield crowd was quiet.

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
The way Fab and Firmino are playing, we are playing with 9 players. Still managed to come from behind and win.
Lets win this fucking thing by hook or by crook.
Milner..... what a MAN, I love you.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
We only appear to be along ball team to those who don;t watch us and rely on stats. We mix it up all the time. If we go long, it's not the old fashioned in the mixer, big 'un for the little un'. It's more measured to use the flanks.

Add to that 50 yard inviting balls by VVD, and you get stats which you can make up a narrative.

We also play a certain way based on the team's tactics for that day.
I watch the game lad, we play a huge fucking % of long balls. It's been a huge part of us being dog shit since Jan.

I'm not talking about the Trent style switch of plays, I'm talking the soft punts up the lines into space. Even worse when it's Lovren swinging his 2 iron.

No narrative, just plain old I wish we'd play pass and move a bit more.

macca1970

Thanks to Milly's goal saving clearance, we barely won this match. Fabinho's performance is better from last week's but still pretty far far away from his usual levels. Our forwards are up for it, our defence is up for it as well but the entire midfield seems to be so pedestrian. Klopp's substitutions were not very good today as well.
I thought it was telling that in a high stakes game (coming back from a goal down, and losing the previous 3 of 4) Klopp hesitated to make a sub till the 84th minute.

He wanted the players he fully trusted out on the pitch for the longest amount of time.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Adrian was ok made some reasonable saves and forced the lob that Milner saved on the line (anything other than a lob and that was in). He's not the best GK in the EPL (we should know) yet he does his job when called upon.
A good friend of mine said today halfway true the second half after his 10th insecure moment: "I would get myself off the pitch if I was him"

Needless to say, I agree wholeheartedly. But we survived this one, hopefully just one more with him in goal.

3 more wins that's all that matters from now on.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
3 points.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.
Well, as far as wining the league goes then yes. Getting three points is all that matters. But as far as beating any team still in the Champions League, then it wasn't anywhere near good enough.

The fact that we lost to Watford and struggled against B'mouth does not point to the strength of the Prem. It points to us not playing well enough; not playing with enough intensity. I don't know what the answer is but I think it's more than just Hendo being injured. Perhaps it's psychological, but I don't think it's just complacency. Some players seem to be more mentally worn out than anything else. The physical ability is still there but the mental sharpness seems to be blunted.

jabu

TIA New Signing
It also doesn't help that the midfield has been bad since the break (gini and fabs have struggled massively) and then u add firmino still in the Maldives..