• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool v Bournemouth (EPL 7/3/20 12.30pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Gomez

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • Milner

Votes: 104 82.5%
  • Fabinho

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 84’]

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Salah [GOAL 25’]

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Firmino [off 90+2’]

• Mane [GOAL 33’]

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Lallana [on 84]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Origi [on 90+2’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Think Fab had a couple of good moments in this game and the bad ones too. Needs to be playing more , The same could just as easily be Hendo having a shocker against ATM.

macca1970

MOTM Milner. Excellent goal bound clearance. Lacking pace now for the left back slot, but more than makes up with his experience and leadership.

Front three - after the no show against Watford, much better. Mo demonstrated his strength on many occasions, and for his goal, turned a poor pass to him into a goal by shooting a reverse shot into the corner. Mane one on one making no mistake. Bobby doing the unseen work as usual, but not having his shooting boots on. But as Meat Loaf says, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Ox did a lot better this game. Looks more comfortable in the midfield role.

Adrian - now replacing Alison is a hard act, but this game must go down as one of poor decision making. Came for balls that he had no chance of getting, and making bog standard saves look like handling a hot potato. On the plus side, his kicking seems much improved than before.

Klopp - love the emotion of the man. Feel that he didn;t fully trust the players on the bench, as no subs till last few minutes. Keita really needs to step up and give Klopp selection problems.

Caoimhin Kelleher - with Alison out, he is the next pick for the bench behind Adrian. But it seems every time he has the opportunity to be on the bench, he gets injured. These are golden opportunities for him to sit on the bench of the first team as a 21 year old. But he needs to stay fit. A goalkeepers whole career can and usually does start with surprise chances off the bench. Just need to be available to take them.

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
back to squeaky bum time, but delighted to get the 3 points on the board after that blimp from last weekend. We need to be positive and support our players because they try their best for us. I don’t believe that they go into the game thinking “ ah! today, I can’t be arsed about playing football “. They are human and need our support to keep their high level of playing for our club. We supporters sometimes demand a lot from them. They have set a high ( perhaps a very high) standard, and to maintain that level under pressure is not easy. Give them more support, appreciation and love and they will go through a brick wall for us, but demand un-human levels from them and they can show disappointing performances.
We are Liverpool, and we help the team when we can by supporting them fully all the time. As our anthem goes “ when you walk through a storm, hold your head up high” ........ ye know the rest
YNWA

MarcusBerglund

The most important thing after today are the three points. We won with determination, fight and luck. And the palyers, the coaches and the fans needed this result for confidence and the good atmosphere in the dressing room before our CL decisive match.

VvD was good, had an assist for Mane's goal and did well vs. Wilson /only mistake was the moment when after a corner Ake outjumped him and Adrian parried his shot into the woodwork/. Trent looked solid defensively, his forward passes were not perfect, but still he put Bobby in a fantastic situation 1vs.1 with Ramsdale in the 1st half. Milner with MoM and maybe the obvious reason is his goal clearance in the 60th minute, but I prefer to watch him in midfield. Gomez with a decent game /not at fault for their goal, it was a blatant foul from Wilson/.

In midfield only AOC looked decent /best of our midfield three/, but that is not enough in my opinion for a midfield display at home vs. the Cherries.

Fabinho with another horror show, once he decided to pass the ball forward and it led to Bournemouth's best chance in the game /Millie saved us/. In the space of 4 days our defensive midfielder is playing like the worst version of Biscan and is not even at 50% of the Fabinho we saw before the injury. He is a liablility and instead of protecting the back 4, he undermines them almost every match.

Gini - solid, but nothing more. Still did his defensive duties, but vs. Atletico Madrid our midfeidl 3 need to contribute much more offensively. Waching Havertz at the moment and the boy is pure class, bossing the game once again for Leverkusen.

The front three had a mixed game of football. Firmino with 8 goals in 29 PL games, that is simply not good enough. Today Bobby had 2 golden chances and missed them, I know how important is Firmino for us clicking, but he must score goals. 8 golas is his worst return in a Liverpool shirt since he signed with the club /5th season in red/. And on top of that I found out an interesting stat - that till the 65th minute he was involved in 3 duels and lost all of them.

Salah - scored a vital goal, but he is far away from the player we saw in his debut season. Stilla well taken goal and had 2 fantastic deliveries for Millie and Bobby /both of them had only Ramsdale in front of them/, but his overall passing is not good enough at the moment.

Mane - goal and assist, but somehow I feel that Mo had a slightly better game. Sadio's passing has been always good and smart /look at the Everon match at Anfield/, but today he looked careless in several good situation /best example is our first goal, his pass for Salah almost killed our attack, when we had 3vs.1 players/. The Senegalese hit the woodwork and looked dangerous in front of goal, but he is another one trying to reach his best level.

We need to spend money this summer, it is obvious that some of our players look complacent, others stagnated and there are areas in our squad that can be improved /at least this is one of the postives of our recent struggles/. We need to refresh the group and add more competition and quality.

phil smith

Below par performance again and very lucky to bag three points. The main problem I see is the tempo we are playing at. It takes VVD and Gomez half a dozen square balls for us to get into the opposing sides half with a mixture of slow sideways passing at which time the opponents have eleven men back behind the ball and leaving no space to work in. Trent apart from the West Ham game has been well below par for weeks. Bobby and Mo cannot complete a pass mostly because they have two or three men on them most of the time. I know people are saying that the three points is all that matters and I can’t argue against that but personally watching this dross does piss me off.

wibseyred

Why are people surprised with the performance. It's the exact same way we have played virtually all season just do what's needed to win we've had a few performances that break from that mould like the City and Leicester games but the rest all resembles today.

Alright Now

Below par performance again and very lucky to bag three points. The main problem I see is the tempo we are playing at. It takes VVD and Gomez half a dozen square balls for us to get into the opposing sides half with a mixture of slow sideways passing at which time the opponents have eleven men back behind the ball and leaving no space to work in. Trent apart from the West Ham game has been well below par for weeks. Bobby and Mo cannot complete a pass mostly because they have two or three men on them most of the time. I know people are saying that the three points is all that matters and I can’t argue against that but personally watching this dross does piss me off.
Just look at the table instead. 27-1-1.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Needed the three points, were unlucky to concede the goal. Three more wins does it.

Midfield continues to let us down. No drive or energy when they get the ball, but Gini and Ox worked hard. Fabinho still struggling to get going post injury. As others have said, might just be a ploy to conserve energy and wait for the moments, but it can all change very quickly playing the tight rope.

With bobby having a bit of a rough time theres no connection going. Thought Salah was outstanding today, and Mane was available too.

Gomez played some lovely passes through the lines today which was encouraging. Milner played well but at left back he can get caught out by pace. He lead by example today, and that goal line clearance was excellent.

Hopefully have Henderson and Robbo back in for Wednesday. Going to it, and expect it to be loud and tense in there.

Flobs

FADA
Why are people surprised with the performance. It's the exact same way we have played virtually all season just do what's needed to win we've had a few performances that break from that mould like the City and Leicester games but the rest all resembles today.
For me it's because normally we make Bournemouth look shit (even if they aren't) and today thay caused us to look a bit shit.
If you like this is normally a game to look forward to.
It really isn't the exact same way we have played all season, the result is similar to most of our games this season however normally we look in control of our destiny that's gone from our game and we are fighting relegation fodder.
Anyway other than that it's 3 points and on we go.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
I though goal aside MO was pretty poor, some really bad passes. TAA looked leggy.

Aside from that happy with the result.
My view is that our front 3 apart from scoring 2 were poor their passing at the moment is atrocious, the one from Mane to Mo when he scored was woeful, but Mo was just as bad and Bobby has gone on holiday and his twin non-footballing brother is playing in his place.

But 3 points is 3 points

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
My view is that our front 3 ap[art from scoring 2 were poor their passing at the moment is atrocious, the one from Mane to Mo when he scored was woeful, but Mo was just as bad and Bobby has gone on holiday and his twin non-footballing brother is playing in his place.

But 3 points is 3 points
I thought Mo looked sharper today, then again I thought Fabinho looked sharper against Chelsea yet today I lost patience with him.

Last edited:

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
I thought Mo mooked sharper today, then again I thought Fabinho looked sharper against Chelsea yet today I lost patience with him.
Just his passing was really off again and the timing of them, do agree on Fab before his injure his passing was more progressive

Last edited:

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Short match report from Annie rd:

Jurgen Klopp gave 2 sets of fist pumps at the end. 1 to the kop, then to the main stand as he walked off the pitch.

That was a fight today! Proper. Hard.
And we had to fight. That was not the normal Bournemouth - that was a team scrapping for their lives.

A team full of Troy Deeneys.

And Jurgens fist pumps said it all. That’s how much it meant.

More records broken? I don’t care - there’s only 1 title I really want this season. So, 9 points to go.

Dropped daughter off to lime street - and now on driving duties.

We will do this. That is written... but until then we go game by game.

Anfield will be on again on Wednesday.

For another fight night.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
Not a great game but they all count. Atmosphere shit though, sounded like a pre season friendly at times. You wouldn’t know we were on the verge of winning the league.

Joe Gomez x

Does anyone know why we now appear to be a long ball team? 5th highest long ball % in the league apparently.

Just seems weird since we’ve gone “route one” Bobby seems completely off his game, like his build up ability has gone.

We lose the ball so much with aimless punts into space behind.
Noticed aswell we seem to try ram the ball into the box hoping for a breakthrough. Maybe a number and percentages thing where if we but it in more we will get more chances. But for now it seems wasteful

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
The table at the moment
27-1-1
I don’t think that has ever been done before in a normal season.
support our lads to the finishing line and beyond for their hard effort to try and make/keep us (sometimes fickle) supporters/fans happy
We are LIVERPOOL FC, a family orientated team club

FGred

Been a strange season. The sustained heights we hit magnify the inevitable dip in form. That dip comes ahead of the second leg against Atletico, and many have gone from believing to doubting. Of course, any dip in form seems unacceptable these days. We’ve been spoiled. Suddenly, being human is criminal and 82 points is less than 82 points. Jurgen’s fist pumps, I think, said it all.
Thanks @Allright Now I feel sometimes that me and a few others are the only ones that try not to depress the rest of the forum I’ll be glad when we get it over the line sooner than expected.
I hope that shitty without Laporte have a nightmare in the next 3 games and we can then concentrate on the CL without having to worry anymore about the league. I still believe that if we win it early the pressure is off and we will win the remainder of the games fairly comfortably

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Simply not true, we may have had off spells in games but for the most part we played with intensity, won 2nd balls, found our men with simple passes, managed to control the ball, controlled/managed the game etc. We clearly are nervous at the back, we are making a lot of mistakes. The solid defensive foundation which meant we did control games and could win 1-0 isn’t there at the moment.

Need to get back to basics, work as a unit, play with intensity, pass and move to get the overlap and cross well.