• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool v Bournemouth (EPL 7/3/20 12.30pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Gomez

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • Milner

Votes: 104 82.5%
  • Fabinho

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 84’]

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Salah [GOAL 25’]

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Firmino [off 90+2’]

• Mane [GOAL 33’]

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Lallana [on 84]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Origi [on 90+2’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RodM

Another victory, another 3 points, another step closer.

MotM for Milner. That goal line clearance was (literally) worth 2 point for us. Other votes to Mané and Salah who both looked lively. Salah's goal was a masterpiece after a wayward pass. Mané could have had a goal of the season contender with that thunderbolt in the second half. We could have done with another goal but it wasn't for want of effort.

OK, with the greatest respect, Bournemouth aren't the strongest of teams at the moment but we needed to pick ourselves up and get going again.

I noticed that we have now passed the record for successive home wins set by Shankly's 1973 side which I am a bit ambivalent about - that was one of the all time great sides. Still, one hell of an achievement.

Anyway, I'm now off for my Bundesliga fix, the battle of the Borussias - Dortmund Vs Supercalifagilisticborussiamönchengladbach.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Well, as far as wining the league goes then yes. Getting three points is all that matters. But as far as beating any team still in the Champions League, then it wasn't anywhere near good enough.

The fact that we lost to Watford and struggled against B'mouth does not point to the strength of the Prem. It points to us not playing well enough; not playing with enough intensity. I don't know what the answer is but I think it's more than just Hendo being injured. Perhaps it's psychological, but I don't think it's just complacency. Some players seem to be more mentally worn out than anything else. The physical ability is still there but the mental sharpness seems to be blunted.

Yeah, and if we don't improve drastically then Atletico will be knocking us out.

We're definitely jaded, I think Hendo missing is a massive loss. With him we win almost every game in 44, without him we've lost 3 out of 5. His absence is massive I think. More to it than than I know but are those stats just coincidence?

Alright Now

Yeah, and if we don't improve drastically then Atletico will be knocking us out.

We're definitely jaded, I think Hendo missing is a massive loss. With him we win almost every game in 44, without him we've lost 3 out of 5. His absence is massive I think. More to it than than I know but are those stats just coincidence?
Of course Atletico hasn’t impressed in its last two either.

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
To me that Milner clearance was one of the football moments of the season. You see so many players dog it on the pursuit. Here's a guy who just turned 34 sprinting back on the off chance. Anyone who thinks he's lost a step, watch the replay a few times.

Alright Now

To me that Milner clearance was one of the football moments of the season. You see so many players dog it on the pursuit. Here's a guy who just turned 34 sprinting back on the off chance. Anyone who thinks he's lost a step, watch the replay a few times.
Play of the year for me. Reminded me of momentous Alisson save against Napoli.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I know when coming back from injury it will always take some time to get back to your former self, but my good god Fabinho looks like its his first day he ever saw grass. If Hendo is available, I would drop him for the CL match.
Milner easy Motm, but i was happy to see Salah a bit more lively.

Red over the water

Just finished watching a recording, I’ll go back and see what others thought, but here’s my tuppence worth:

• That was a PUSH! Ridiculous non decision by the ref. It seemed that after that we did a bit of pushing of our own, since they were apparently the new rules in play on the day, and Wilson was whining about it, but Bournemouth got a goal from those tactics that was a joke.
  • Ake rose well and for a good header just after that, and Adrian saved it. The commentary team over here on NBCSN - I’m looking at Le Saux in particular - seemed to want to start a dodgy keeper narrative, but that was a firm header and he got the save. Adrian parried a couple of shots, which is a common thing keepers do these days, and he also came out of the box to clear danger a couple of times. He’s no Alisson - who is? - but he did well enough and helped us to another win.
  • Our first goal was down to Mo, well played lad. Mane’s pass was poor, and behind him, but Mo cut inside then shot through the legs of the defender into the near corner. Tidy finish. Back on terms.
  • It didn’t take long for us to add another, Virg interception and a lovely through ball, and a very composed finish from Mane clipping it just over the onrushing keeper and into the bottom corner.
  • I thought we would add more as the tide had turned well into our favor, but Bournemouth fought hard.
  • We have given up a fair few goals recently, so I was never fully comfortable with just a 2-1 lead, but it proved to be enough.
  • Milner deserves enormous credit for that clearance. Top, top pro... never gave up, chased it down, kept his eye on the ball and hooked it away. His appearances are a bit fewer and further apart these days, but he was excellent today, my MOTM. He also gave Robbo a much needed breather before Wednesday.
  • Firmino - it’s a weird one that he hasn’t scored at Anfield. An early chance with the ball sitting high, and he struck it well but the goalie saved. Then a late chance where he leaned back and skied it over the bar. Still involved in the play, still an important player, but this weird anomaly needs to be corrected soon. Wednesday would be nice!
  • Anfield crowd - it’s hard to be on fire for an early game, and also against a modest opponent, but the crowd did well enough and went through the song book, loud and clear. We are a fair crowd, and it was nice to see Solanke get a good reception when he came on.
  • Tierney - rubbish. Oliver in the booth - rubbish.
  • Wasn’t a great performance, but back to winning ways, 22 league wins in a row at Anfield is a new record, and 25 points clear at the top isn’t too shabby either. The headlines were waiting to be written had we stuttered, but we passed the test and claimed all three points. Again. That has been the story of the season... another three points for Liverpool, week after week.
  • Man City might possibly drop a couple of points and we might not even need three wins. The race for top four is hotting up and Man Utd and Arsenal might possibly give them a game. Burnley too for that matter, they are climbing the table.
  • It’s all poised for a massive game on Wednesday. Can’t wait. Come on you Reds!

koptician

We'll go again!
It’s always been tough in the earlier Saturday kickoff slot at Anfield. The crowd didn’t get going but collectively we did just enough. A night at Anfield is a different kettle of fish. Hopefully another game to bring up the match sharpness for Fab. It’ll be great to have Hendo back and Robbo as well. The team know that Adrian can do the business so that will be reassuring.

Red over the water

I want a draw tomorrow. Ideally Man Utd finish in the Europa spots at the end of the season. Don’t want them in the CL and throwing money at players who will sign for them for the dough and the CL football.

A nice draw, hopefully a good game with a lot of incident... been a while since there was a big fight among two groups of players and retroactive punishment, for example...

costared

TIA Reserve Team
One small step forward for the team. Still disappointing slow tactics putting ourselves under pressure. I doubt we get away with that on Wednesday. Some poor individual performances, in particular TAA, Fab and Firminho. Milner and Salah our best ,felt the others did o.k. without hitting top gear . I just hope they have been saving themselves for Wednesday and we find our form and get a few breaks from officials which we certainly have not had for a few weeks.

RodM

I want a draw tomorrow. Ideally Man Utd finish in the Europa spots at the end of the season. Don’t want them in the CL and throwing money at players who will sign for them for the dough and the CL football.

A nice draw, hopefully a good game with a lot of incident... been a while since there was a big fight among two groups of players and retroactive punishment, for example...
I'm half minded to watch this one tomorrow but I hate watching games negatively. A draw would be fine but I would end up thinking, "Isn't it a pity that they can't both lose."

Ron Swanson

3 TO GO,!!

Milner has to go down as the best free signing not just at our club but in the history of football. When he hangs his boots up eventually would love to see hi become part of the coaching staff he is the perfect professional.

We won nervy at times, no one can doubt Salah feats for the club now unbelievable stats, Sadio doing Sadio things love the guy to bits but Milner lead by example the whole game and the goal line save, the oldest player on the pitch being the quickest to react.

Ignoring any negatives because I'm biased. We are top of the league almost smell the sweet aroma of the ribbons on the trophy now.

mikodelniko13

At this stage I am beyond caring about performance as long as we get 3 points but there are worrying signs
Two central defenders high up marking no one and strikers running behind them
Trent seems offended by opponents changing direction and pace rather than actually defending
Fabinhou needs legs around him ie Henderson
Although I can see klopp reacting to teams playing deep we still lack midfield runners into the box
To break such deep defending team you would need forward making runs , backs making runs and third midfield runner
3 more wins am happy to get them in anyway or shape

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I was really looking forward to that today. With all the talk of possibly playing behind closed doors soon this may have been one of the last chances we have to see them in the flesh at Anfield this season. I think everyone was up for it but we started really slowly again and that is an atmosphere killer. The reaction to going one down was good from both the players and the crowd and for 20 minutes or so we looked like our old selves but we couldn't kill them off in the second half. The pace dropped again and you could just sense that we might get caught out and that made everyone nervous. The Fraser lob was bad enough but I wish I had noticed a bit earlier that the flag was up for offside for that last minute Wilson chance. They almost had to call for the Anfield defibrillator at that point.

Some players are so out of form they are almost unrecognisable. Fabinho has gone from being arguably the best defensive midfielder in the world pre-injury to looking like someone trying to learn how to play in the position. Nothing was coming off for Bobby again and his miss at the end summed up how it's going for him right now. Thank god Milner was back today. Man of the match by a million miles.

The one thing that's concerned me this season during all this brilliance is that we might blow up at some point. Some players have played continuously for 2 years. JK hasn't rotated much because he didn't want to disrupt the momentum we had in the league. The right thing to do to get the league won, but we might be paying for it now. Atletico is a massive game. We had a dip last season and it was the win away against Bayern in the last 16 of the CL that got us going again. Atletico will be just as significant this season.

Joe1972

I just want to say I’m as frustrated as everybody else at the lethargic way we’ve been playing lately, but the thing I keep coming back to is this:
For some reason we are playing like a team that is 25 points ahead with only a few games left..

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
We got the win but other than 3 points more, can't say there was a shit load to be happy about.

I can't believe how pedestrian we were in the second half, I really thought we would come out and put on a couple more goals. Our interchange between the front 3 is abysmal at the moment. While Mo's movement and finishing today was good his passing was terrible. Does he know we are playing in red? TAA isn't much better which is making our right side far less potent than usual.
Mane almost contrived to fuck up the first goal with a poor pass to Mo that he was fortunately able to finish. Don't understand why Mane passed to Mo with his left peg when he could have just laid it off to Mo with his right foot. Bobby's howler at the end sums up the attache at the minute.

As for Fabinho, has the pre injury Fab been abducted and replaced by a man who has never played football? Hope he remembers how to play real soon.

Strange feeling being so happy with result but so disappointed with the performance.

I can't see Atletico making the same errors on Wednesday or allowing us to capitalise on inaccurate play.

As long as we get the result, that's all that matters at the end, I just want to see the same dominant Reds we have been accustomed to seeing and its high time we blew a team away with a massive performance.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
30 years of weight on their back, piled on by millions and millions of fans, even mentality monsters and the hero that is leading them will be bound to feel that weight at some stage

To put it in perspective, just think of some of the teams, players, managers that have been around at that period.

A few lethargic performances and displaced passes.....a few nerves.....a few sleepless nights....

For all the sports science, psychology and advances made to protect these guys, theyre still just humans.

jaffod

Not arsed about the performance, 3 points is all that matters.

Fucking scandalous decision to allow their goal, just disbelief in the ground not to disallow it.

Good finish by Mo, great finish by Sadio. Bobby struggled again.

Milner MOTM, that goal-line clearance was absolutely insane. Ox was well up for it too, him and Milner have to start on Wednesday.

Some decent saves from Adrian, still haven't dropped a point this season when he's played.

Crowd was good, might have lacked a bit of noise at times but the main difference this season is the lack of audible panic when we're losing. Think that's 4 times now we've trailed at Anfield and we've won every one of them.

Up the fucking Reds!!

Alright Now

I was really looking forward to that today. With all the talk of possibly playing behind closed doors soon this may have been one of the last chances we have to see them in the flesh at Anfield this season. I think everyone was up for it but we started really slowly again and that is an atmosphere killer. The reaction to going one down was good from both the players and the crowd and for 20 minutes or so we looked like our old selves but we couldn't kill them off in the second half. The pace dropped again and you could just sense that we might get caught out and that made everyone nervous. The Fraser lob was bad enough but I wish I had noticed a bit earlier that the flag was up for offside for that last minute Wilson chance. They almost had to call for the Anfield defibrillator at that point.

Some players are so out of form they are almost unrecognisable. Fabinho has gone from being arguably the best defensive midfielder in the world pre-injury to looking like someone trying to learn how to play in the position. Nothing was coming off for Bobby again and his miss at the end summed up how it's going for him right now. Thank god Milner was back today. Man of the match by a million miles.

The one thing that's concerned me this season during all this brilliance is that we might blow up at some point. Some players have played continuously for 2 years. JK hasn't rotated much because he didn't want to disrupt the momentum we had in the league. The right thing to do to get the league won, but we might be paying for it now. Atletico is a massive game. We had a dip last season and it was the win away against Bayern in the last 16 of the CL that got us going again. Atletico will be just as significant this season.
Agree on the last paragraph. The Watford loss could prove a blessing. Get the win Wednesday hopefully, win the league hopefully as soon as possible, and then rotate in the league and focus on CL without having to bear the invincibles mantle.

Mary Hinge

Not arsed about the performance, 3 points is all that matters.

Fucking scandalous decision to allow their goal, just disbelief in the ground not to disallow it.

Good finish by Mo, great finish by Sadio. Bobby struggled again.

Milner MOTM, that goal-line clearance was absolutely insane. Ox was well up for it too, him and Milner have to start on Wednesday.

Some decent saves from Adrian, still haven't dropped a point this season when he's played.

Crowd was good, might have lacked a bit of noise at times but the main difference this season is the lack of audible panic when we're losing. Think that's 4 times now we've trailed at Anfield and we've won every one of them.

Up the fucking Reds!!

Mary Hinge

I wonder sometimes if TAA is aware of his surroundings. There have been multiple times (not just today) where he leaves the far post exposed to late arrivals. Robbo can be guilty of this as well.

Obviously a little relief for the 3 points and winning ways and as some have said, I think it will be to our advantage to not have to carry the unbeaten tag along from game to game.

One or two have 'complained' about Firmino's performance or lack of goals at home, but the guy is a workhorse and puts in a lot of work for little reward. Huge asset.

Adrian will be a fine, he's been great all season apart from his little mishap against Watford. I noticed some of the 'expert' reports are trying to give an air of lack of confidence on his behalf, so I hope he goes and shoves that view where the sun don't shine.

I have a friend who is an ardent Man U supporter, what a quandary his mind will be in tomorrow, but that's his problem, not mine. I'll just dig regardless of the result. ;)

A warm welcome to the peeps from Madrid, let's just go and spank them now!!!