• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Brighton (EPL 30/11/19 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 109 89.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • Henderson

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Firmino

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mane

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Lallana

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Origi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adrian

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
Only seen the highlights so may be a bit off with my opinions but a few things I felt - Alisson took one for the team, if he doesn't stop it that ball goes in the net, playing a bit dirty in the City style! - Ox changes the dynamic in Midfield, he could have had a few goals today and links well with the front three - the goal conceded was unfortunate but I don't blame the ref, the wall was taking an age to get organised and have only themselves to blame.
First half was good, some great chances, two excellent goals from the big man, maybe a chance or two for Brighton too. Second half more average but didn't look like any of the Brighton chances were likely to go in.
Overall a solid win. Onward and upward!

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
atkinson hates Lfc but he had good game today.
Adrian came on -when not expecting to - and was fucking about with wall. He was right over the other side of the goal. Fair fucks for Dunk to see it. Can’t blame ref if we’re not ready. If we’d scored it you all laud our player for quick thinking - like the Barca corner. Can’t have it both ways.

cynicaloldgit

Green, not greed
Ad-free Member
Nice extract from the Guardian’s match review:

“Alexander-Arnold was the provider once more, this time driving the ball to the near post, where Van Dijk escaped Dunk and steered a powerful header beyond the rooted Ryan. It was Alexander-Arnold’s 18th assist since the start of last season, more than any other Premier League defender. It was Van Dijk’s eighth league goal since the start of last season, more than any other player (sic),and also Liverpool’s 41st set-piece goal in that time, more than any other team in England’s top flight. To think some people argue it is just luck.”

Last edited:

TippRed

TIA Youth Team
Yes, cause any other time he would be running round with his bloody spray foam and checking if everyone was 10 yds away...but he didn't.... So gave them advantage...Pillock!!!!
Honestly lads, there is no issue with their goal. The rules changed about 10yrs ago. The team I play with have got the odd goal taking advantage of this. You basically let the ref know that you don't need 10 yards, and thats it, take the free kick.
I even saw the look from Dunk to the Ref, fully legit.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Summary: we have ridden our luck to 40 points. Now we sit second behind Brighton. Ancelotti has given the league the blueprint to stop us.We will be a selling club in January, getting rid of Ox, Gomez, Lallana, Shaq, and KEITA. Maybe sell Matip too because he is made of glass. Perhaps we can get Havertz and Sancho and Coutinho and Koulibaly. Then we will have a chance. Even so we really need to organize this defense, especially now that Hendo has to replace Fabinho despite being unable to lead, make a forward pass, or position himself. The good news is we fluked our way to 6. At least we have that.

Oh and YNWA.
:sick:... Where is the dislike button. I want to dislike this post.

Alright Now

VVD played awesome today. But, once again Mo looks flat, and our other front two just aren’t firing on all cylinders! For this team to survive the next two months they really need to get more aggressive. Overall good game but not great. They can and should do better!
Curious. If you had to guess, would you say our front three have more or fewer goals and assists this season than at the same point last season?

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
I voted for VVD,Hendo and Lallana as MOM.
Lallana was immense after we went down to 10 men.
He bursted his lungs, tracked back, put pressure on their GK. Somewhat compensated for the red card.
Hendo as no.6 today was also very good.
Great to see that our defence can bail out by scoring when the attack is not clinical.
Massive 3 points.
Up the reds!!

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Don't think there is any law to say you have to hang around while a wall is organised.
There isnt but once the ref has moved the wall back they normally wait until everything is set, How Atkinson did it will have set a precedence hope we get the benefit of this from other refs

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
The restart for a corner is not the same as a free kick. The ref NEVER needs to blow the whistle on a corner, so the defending team are ALWAYS responsible for being ready. For a free-kick, once the ref has decided an action needs to be taken, such as a booking, a sub, or setting the wall, the game can only restart after the whistle. There is no law about when the ref should blow the whistle, but the expectation is that he would communicate with both teams over his intentions to get started again before actually blowing the whistle. To not give a subbed on a goalie the time to get on and get his wall set up, and instead blow it when he was clearly not ready is outrageous.

He's had seconds to get ready and then conceded a BS, absurd goal before touching the ball. A little bit of understanding is needed here rather than making out like that moment is indicative of a weakness.
Definitely factors to consider and I'm not bagging him. Adrian was excellent for us when Allison was out, but I think it's fair to say he is a player capable of the odd lapse in concentration and does not instil as much confidence in the defence as Allison does.

HippyChopper

I saw a post on the other thread prematch one. Saying that Hendo wasn't a patch on Fabinho. What I was going to comment on it was Hendo didnt have another Hendo in the side helping with the dirty work like Fabinho does. He had an Ox who doesn't put that sort of work in. So IMO it's unfair to compare at the minute.
Comedy!! Kinda a catch-22 statement there. To prove it wrong would be near impossible so there must be some truth to it. That or madness.

Either way. 11 points and Everton next. Roll on Wednesday

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
just watched Klopp's post match assessment, and he gave MOTM to Adrian! He has a point though, Adrian comes on cold must be in a state of shock! On the free kick I thought the ref checked with the keeper before blowing, or am I fantasizing! Adrian did make an excellent save shortly after coming on, he also had our hearts in our mouths with that, ahem, fumble! On Alison, he doesn't appear to be as confident as he usually is. Any comments? Also a further question: if a goalkeeper receives a throw in can he pick the ball up?

When we really kick into gear some sides are in for a pasting!

And again, well played Brighton. They surprised me.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Honestly lads, there is no issue with their goal. The rules changed about 10yrs ago. The team I play with have got the odd goal taking advantage of this. You basically let the ref know that you don't need 10 yards, and thats it, take the free kick.
I even saw the look from Dunk to the Ref, fully legit.
Mate the rules changed. As soon as he marks out 10 you have to let the wall be set. He didn't. He ignore the rules and this cheated.