• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Brighton (EPL 30/11/19 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 109 89.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • Henderson

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Firmino

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mane

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Lallana

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Origi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adrian

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Wilkored08

Quick Free Kicks (QFK) Definition: The attacking team takes the kick as soon as the ball is properly placed, with no separate signal needed by the referee. The attacking team does not ask for (verbally or visually) the minimum distance to be enforced.

According to Dunk on MOTD that is what happened. He asked to take it quickly. I see no problem with that and would applaud our players quick thinking if they did the same thing.
Agreed....so why when QFK's are taken....sometimes the ref of the game throws a Tilly tantrum, calls for the kick to be taken again and warns the attacking team....Inconsistent Reffing that's what...

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I really don’t get the grief the ref’s getting. If roles were reversed, we’d be patting ourselves on the back for Trent’s quick thinking. He blew his whistle then the guy kicked it in the goal whilst we faffed about. We were rightly punished for sloppiness. Can’t think of an occasion recently when we’ve exploited something similar.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Quick Free Kicks (QFK) Definition: The attacking team takes the kick as soon as the ball is properly placed, with no separate signal needed by the referee. The attacking team does not ask for (verbally or visually) the minimum distance to be enforced.

According to Dunk on MOTD that is what happened. He asked to take it quickly. I see no problem with that and would applaud our players quick thinking if they did the same thing.
Whereas after a substitution or a dismissal, a separate signal is required. By definition, you cannot have a quick free kick after one of those. What Atkinson allowed was about as close as one can get, but Dunk was required to wait for a whistle - which he did in fact do.

Just took too damn long to get the wall set, basically.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Agreed....so why when QFK's are taken....sometimes the ref of the game throws a Tilly tantrum, calls for the kick to be taken again and warns the attacking team....Inconsistent Reffing that's what...
I think a QFK isn’t taken on the edge of the box where there’s an obvious shooting chance. Ambiguous I know but then that’s football....

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Whereas after a substitution or a dismissal, a separate signal is required. By definition, you cannot have a quick free kick after one of those. What Atkinson allowed was about as close as one can get, but Dunk was required to wait for a whistle.
Which he did, case closed.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I think a QFK isn’t taken on the edge of the box where there’s an obvious shooting chance. Ambiguous I know but then that’s football....
That is really at the choice of the team taking the free kick, but normally the defending side has someone standing over the ball, and the attacking side want to get a good chance off, so you don't often see a QFK where a shot is a real opportunity.

Limiescouse

That is really at the choice of the team taking the free kick, but normally the defending side has someone standing over the ball, and the attacking side want to get a good chance off, so you don't often see a QFK where a shot is a real opportunity.
The standard is for refs to allow the game to restart as quickly as possible. These are not quick free kicks, despite the common parlance. They are simply free kicks. However, once the ref has intervened in some way, be it a booking, red card, allowed a sub, or, more commonly, in enforcing the 10 yard distance of the defending players, the game can then only be restarted on the ref's whistle. This is referred to as a Ceremonial Free Kick.

What happened has nothing to do with what Dunk asked for. Atkinson blew the whistle and Dunk clarified with him whether he really was allowed to take it. In other words, even Dunk was surprised that the ref would have blown his whistle in that situation, but accepted the gift he'd been given.

Last edited:

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Yeah, plus their fallback excuse was a rolling ball. ABSOLUTE NUTZ some refereeing. Tin pot bloody little gods.

Red over the water

I did not miss anything that why I know Adrian is rubish.
He played the first 8 league games and helped us to 8 wins. He is experienced, pulls off some good saves, and is about as good as you could hope for a number two goalkeeper.

He didn’t cost nearly £70M and he isn’t as good as Alisson. No qualms there. But Adrian is alright. For our fans to be so uncharitable and call him rubbish, based on his track record here, is miles wide of the mark. He cost nothing and is massively in credit, having played his part in what we’ve done so far this season. Even yesterday against Brighton there were two decent saves.

Red over the water

My tuppence worth on the free kick:

Atkinson was at fault in not allowing the newly introduced goalkeeper to set the wall. It was a sneaky quick one, while Adrian was over on the other post lining the wall up. I’m not sure what rule the referee broke, but he certainly broke the spirit of the game, which normally sees a new goalie introduced, then a check and a wave/acknowledgment, then a whistle to play. In this instance Atkinson didn’t act impartially and was complicit in helping Brighton to a gift of a goal.

Be that as it may, we have to think beyond what the ref did or didn’t do, and examine ourselves. At that point, there are two clear things we might have done differently.

1. Set the wall more quickly. It did take a long time.

2. Get a player standing on the ball to prevent a quick one. Even if he took a yellow while taking his time to get 10 yards away, that’s a payment worth paying, given the circumstances of a new goalkeeper coming in, and the dangerous position of the free kick.

Bottom line, we could have been a bit more aware ourselves.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
The standard is for refs to allow the game to restart as quickly as possible. These are not quick free kicks, despite the common parlance. They are simply free kicks. However, once the ref has intervened in some way, be it a booking, red card, allowed a sub, or, more commonly, in enforcing the 10 yard distance of the defending players, the game can then only be restarted on the ref's whistle. This is referred to as a Ceremonial Free Kick.

What happened has nothing to do with what Dunk asked for. Atkinson blew the whistle and Dunk clarified with him whether he really was allowed to take it. In other words, even Dunk was surprised that the ref would have blown his whistle in that situation, but accepted the gift he'd been given.
One of our players should have stood before the ball or captain slow aka Adrian should have hurried up.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Our defence and Adrian were too slow getting set.... but countless times I’ve seen when a new keeper comes in, ref will check everyone is set before blowing the whistle. Atkinson never checked on Adrian. He could have been tying his laces for all Atkinson new (or cared).

Anyway, 3 points collected... and maybe a good wake up call.

But when Atkinson blew the whistle for the free kick - he didn’t check on Adrian - thus didn’t follow “spirit of the game” - but we know all about him.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
I will never complain again about us not "shutting down" a match
Everton were just woeful not to kill off today's match and take the draw - just woeful

Wilkored08

Yep they had injured players tried to keep possession lost it and Leicester score ffs
But again the VAR didn't show a definite decision...the LCFC player looked offside..
But no he wasn't... Can't the var screen that shows the blue line and red line, show the exact measurement of the difference, then fans can see how close the decision is..

Red Submarine

SIX, and counting.
He clarified it with the ref before he blew didn't he? The way it looked to me was that Atkinson was going to wait until the wall was sorted, Dunk asked the question and Atkinson answered it immediately before blowing. To me the exchange could just as easily have been "Do we have to put up with this shite?" "No". We shouldn't have been arsing about and I don't begrudge them the goal but it was borderline collusion between the ref and the player IMO.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Our defence and Adrian were too slow getting set.... but countless times I’ve seen when a new keeper comes in, ref will check everyone is set before blowing the whistle. Atkinson never checked on Adrian. He could have been tying his laces for all Atkinson new (or cared).

Anyway, 3 points collected... and maybe a good wake up call.

But when Atkinson blew the whistle for the free kick - he didn’t check on Adrian - thus didn’t follow “spirit of the game” - but we know all about him.
Anyone actually watch the match clock from the time of the red card to play being restarted? 75:45 to 78:32. Almost 3 mins to restart play. A bit of time wasting happening at setting the wall, Atkinson had enough of it and restarted play.

Lesson learned, don't fuck about if you're going to set a wall for a FK. If you're going to do so, step up to the ball to force Atkinson to talk to you if something needs to be said

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
Watched the last 30 minutes over again, and it is frankly comical. All of Atkinson's whistles can be heard clearly, even against the crowd noise in the last 10 mins of play. That whistle, however, is a fraction of the normal volume.
The whistle has got to be replaced by an electrical devise that gives a precise sound and volume level that gives the ref an electric shock if he tries to interfere with it's working function. ;)