Post match: Liverpool v Burnley (10/3/2019 12pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 86’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

• Van Dijk

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Wijnaldum [off 69’]

• Lallana [off 76’]

Votes: 71 47.0%
  • Salah (three assists)

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Firmino [GOAL 20’, GOAL 68’]

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Mane [GOAL 29’, GOAL 90+3’]

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • Henderson [on 69’]

• Keita [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 86’]

• Total voters

Scott Jones

Blunt
Without Taylor it could've been a bigger win,surprised we seemed to out muscle them which is a very nice surprise,Virgil's masculinity rubbing off on others but needs to rub off a bit more on Matip.

scouseheadross

Septical
Don't know why some are so hard on Burnley. Given their resources did you seriously expect them to come and try to outplay us?
Wolves, Brighton, Fulham, Bournemouth usually all try and play football. That first goal sums it up. Championship tactics.

Come and play, come and defend, same result. Nearly two years unbeaten at home in the league.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Dreadful performance for the Ref but that's almost a given. Only a fucking blindman or an idiot would allow that first goal to stand........the only other option is corruption but I cannot contemplate that being possible because it would be the end of football.
PL reffing is starting to remind me of Serie A in the mid-90's, when it seemed like there was refereeing controversy every weekend, and there was lots of discussion of the decline of Italian referee quality.

We all know how that turned out.

big noyd

excellent response to the ref-induced horseshit early adversity, did not seem like doubt was allowed to creep in around the ground

mo looks off but was involved in 3 of our goals, lallana made himself quite useful

could've had 5 or 6 but crucially got the 4th after they pulled one back. alisson double-caught that late cross

van dijk is the second best player in the world imo

Last edited:

scouseheadross

Septical
Nobody mentioned the conditions!! Horizontal rain, swirling 50mph gusts one direction then t'other. Hail, sleet, snow. Tbf I didn't see any lightning though!

Was dreading that after the storm passed here earlier but we persevered and seem to enjoy it. Salah had a smile on his face, which always brings one to mine too!

Fullmetal

Jedi Knight
Good performance by Lallana.

Not great from TAA and Wijnaldum.

3pts.

PS: Abysmal refereeing as usual.

Neukolln

Rambler is forever a Burnley apologist. Laughably admonished me in the reverse fixture match thread for not being allowed to criticize Burnley because I've never been to Burnley and don't understand how good of a job Dyche has done. Even though he's the most overrated manager in all English football. Burnley play shithouse thug tactic football, with a manager that supports said tactics, breaks a Liverpool player's leg, then openly wonders on a Liverpool supporter messageboard why everyone is "so hard" on Burnley. Sound logic.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Excellent game from the lads. That early (and wrong) goal was a right kick in the teeth for them, but they recovered superbly and did everything needed to win the game, especially with those windy conditions.

Good games especially from Lallana (didn't think he could handle the physical game today, but that's exactly what he did... superb attacking tackle to recover the ball for Salah and Mané on the second goal), from Salah (three assists), from Mané and Firmino (two goals each). The midfield did everything required to keep the thugs away from our goal more often than not, and the defence was ok in the whole, although the full-backs suffered a bit from Burnley's way of playing, and the center-backs/goalie had to contend with those strange and unpredictable conditions.

Well done lads, we affirm our second rank in the table, and the pressure is on Citeh again to maintain their winning run. We couldn't have asked for more today! :-)

Edit: MoM Salah for me. He was instrumental all day long, and involved in almost all of our attacks.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Counted 3 Kruyff turns in 80 minutes, usuallyhe makes more when warming up.
This was Lallana from 2 seasons ago. His movement of the ball was really impresdive, making dummy runs, pulling defenders and allowing the front 3 a lot more space.

Fabinho was very impressive.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Feeling strangely downbeat and yet considering how the match started that was a very solid win. TAA's injury and Burnley's soft second have somewhat dampened the feel good factor.

Really liked Lallana's performance that was exactly what was needed both for him and the team. The front three did really well as well as the midfield and the back four. If only we could finish our chances...

Last but not least, Marriner is useless. Prick.

Magnus

We did well. Lalana, as I said in the match thread, Lalana was the main positive surprise. All in all, most of what I saw was positive. Still, one needs to be fair, and I have some slight criticism: Keita, still not the player I have been hoping for. He is a disappointing. Also disappointing with Shaqiri, since he played badly for us the last games he was actually playing, and since he has yet to play for us again, i guess he is still playing badly in training. That is disappointing. I had some hopes for him. Yet, the stuff about Shaqiri is just an assumption to be fair, so I may be wrong and he may have fallen out with Klopp for some strange reason, though I have to say I doubt that as I think Klopp is a good man manager.

But yeah, the game, I am very pleased. Still, we need to play significantly better than this against Bayern München. Anyway, we are still within touch of City :-)

johnoleary

good result,very inconsistent performance i thought,lallana mom for me,could be useful for us if he can get back to form.
mane,van dyke,robertson all played well.
matip a bit nervy,firminho on and off,thought our passing was sloppy again at times.
Asfor my favourite mo salah i just dont know where hes going to get his mojo back fom,hes trying so hard,and still looks dangerous on the ball but always gets it wrong,i know its more than likely confidence but hes only got a handful of games to sort it out,come on mo we need you.

SBYM

Who's the fella owns this shithole?
Not good enough.

We may have won today but that is not league winning form.

If Mane and Firmino hadn't scored those goals then we would have lost.

Alisson allows himself to get manhandled.

Lallana started, and Sturridge came on; these two wouldn't get anywhere near the Accrington Stanley 11.

Klopp doesn't know what he's doing.