Post match: Liverpool v Burnley (10/3/2019 12pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 86’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

• Van Dijk

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Wijnaldum [off 69’]

• Lallana [off 76’]

Votes: 71 47.0%
  • Salah (three assists)

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Firmino [GOAL 20’, GOAL 68’]

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Mane [GOAL 29’, GOAL 90+3’]

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • Henderson [on 69’]

• Keita [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 86’]

• Total voters

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Don't know why some are so hard on Burnley. Given their resources did you seriously expect them to come and try to outplay us?
I don't expect them to come out and play, but I do expect a little bit of sportsmanship. That first goal of theirs spelt otherwise. I still can't believe the ref and linesman didn't see it. Alisson was crowded and pressed down by not one, not two but three Burnley players. They used to park the bus and defend with their dear lives, and I get it, don't complain too much about park the bus team. Matter of fact if we can't break them because of that, it's our incompetence, not their negative tactic.

But that shit they're doing these days, finding the dirtiest way to get by. If the ref didn't see it and didn't call it, they get away with it and that's what happened today.

And also, their manager - I dislike their manager.

Absolutely. The thought that there could be corruption behind the scenes is hard to shake when you see decisions like the 1st goal being allowed to stand,
And that overruling call that allow Sterling goal to stand the day before. Hard not to think there's something there, when the smoke is getting thicker.

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
Good result in the end from our boys. We played really well in patches but kind of let them back in when we went ahead.
Not complaining, the result speaks for itself but I really would like to see us being a bit more ruthless now.
On to Munich and the other half of our ‘double’ for the season!

Phather Fil

Drrrrink!!!
That first goal is exactly what VAR should be used for, not marginal off sides or dubious slow motion hand balls. How a ref AND a linesman couldn't call three players suffocating Allison is highly questionable. Thought Lallana looked good but gave MOTM to Mane, thought Mo was alright too but just needs to sharpen up a bit more, thank god for Bobby tidying up afterwards, Kaita still shoddy for me, needs to get his shit in one bag or just bench him until pre-season, harsh I know, but he's a liability at the moment.

sms1986

Good result in the end from our boys. We played really well in patches but kind of let them back in when we went ahead.
Not complaining, the result speaks for itself but I really would like to see us being a bit more ruthless now.
On to Munich and the other half of our ‘double’ for the season!
Bayern have to be very careful not to let us score, maybe it'll be the game where Salah returns to his best?

Dane

NEXT!
PL reffing is starting to remind me of Serie A in the mid-90's, when it seemed like there was refereeing controversy every weekend, and there was lots of discussion of the decline of Italian referee quality.

We all know how that turned out.
Zero accountability.
They are allowed away with high levels of incompetence week in week out.

That level of incompetency in other industries results in performance improvement plans or disciplinary action.
Not for referees, they are virtually bullet proof.

phil smith

I thought it was a decent steady performance all round. Always thought Marriner was a decent referee but had a stinker today and their first goal was a dire decision. Agree with most of the postings re Lallana who had a good match. I gave my MOM to Bobby who has struggled for a couple of months now but I thought was back to his near best today. Mane took his goals well apart from the one he put over the bar from three yards. Usual rock solid from VVD at the back and Matip and Robbo of looked steady. The League is definitely down to a two horse race now after Spurs losing yesterday.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Absolutely. The thought that there could be corruption behind the scenes is hard to shake when you see decisions like the 1st goal being allowed to stand,
It is becoming decidedly grim to contemplate. But we know that City's UAE owners are capable of far more immoral actions. We more or less know that they have been cheating on UEFA FFP, using their financial might to intimidate UEFA, and then bold-facedly lying about their conduct to UEFA even around the fairly light sanctions they did receive. Their response to the Football Leaks stuff is basically 'those are stolen' (i.e. authentic) and 'taken out of context' (not really a response at all).

At some point, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it just might be a fucking duck.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Zero accountability.
They are allowed away with high levels of incompetence week in week out.

That level of incompetency in other industries results in performance improvement plans or disciplinary action.
Not for referees, they are virtually bullet proof.
And they demand respect, have a fucking campaign for it too... the fuck. Fragile and incompetent pricks, won't last a minute in my job.

Elessar

Three points and a shit ref as expected. You can almost guarantee before a PL game that the ref will be shit.

Mike Riley out.

sms1986

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, speaking to MOTD: "Are we allowed to talk about the conditions?

"We played our game. The first Burnley goal was maybe a little bit of the wind. In most countries it would not be allowed that goal. You cannot treat the goalie like that in the six-yard box.

"Adam Lallana didn't score but he was best man on pitch. He had an outstanding game.

"At 3-1 up all the balls Burnley got were from us. I'm completely happy with the performance - especially against Burnley.

"Nobody gets rid of us."

sms1986

Not Lallana's biggest fan, but he did well today. Good to see us come back from a goal down. We kept our composure fought our way back. Bring on Bayern.
This was a nice confidence booster before Bayern, looking forward to that game a lot!

Noo Noo

Defensive football is one thing. The sort of tackling that destroyed Gomez' season, and the obvious foul on Allison are another entirely. They cheat, and then are sanctimonious about it.
The gamesmanship side I can live with, the sanctimonious bit I cant. That's the bad bit about them (Dyche)

With the resources that they have then pushing your luck is fine by me. There's a case to say we should do a little more ourselves.

That aside the ref should have chalked that goal off. Burnley deliberately impeding the keeper hoping that it wouldn't get noticed is one thing. The referee not picking it up is just garbage, especially when they were basically crawling all over Alison like they were.

That aside well played Lallana.

Thought Firmino had a good one too.

sms1986

Liverpool midfielder Adam Lallana, speaking to MOTD: "It's a big three points with Manchester City winning yesterday.

"The conditions were difficult for both teams. One minute it was sunny, the next minute it was hailing and then raining. It was odd but I'm happy we held our nerve.

"The way Burnley play is difficult and they are fighting for every point, but I thought we were convincing winners in the end.

"The main thing was just focusing on three points and now we switch to the Champions League and Bayern Munich on Wednesday. Both teams will be quietly confident."