Post match: Liverpool v Burnley (10/3/2019 12pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 86’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

• Van Dijk

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Wijnaldum [off 69’]

• Lallana [off 76’]

Votes: 71 47.0%
  • Salah (three assists)

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Firmino [GOAL 20’, GOAL 68’]

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Mane [GOAL 29’, GOAL 90+3’]

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • Henderson [on 69’]

• Keita [on 76’]

• Sturridge [on 86’]

• Total voters

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Lallana was good but I don't buy into 'he's back' just yet.
Me too, don't think he is going to be able to cut it if we were against teams that have a bit of pace to burn. I still think it's time he asked for a move to a lower tiered team to get more game time as I can't see him start a lot of matches come next season.

big noyd

alisson double-caught the late cross that should've effectively ended the game, before sadio gave the ball away & then scored

on the other hand, somewhat weirdly given the wind & conditions, his distribution was as good as it's been in a long time

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
nice to see Lallana reward Klopp with picking him today. that was nice to see.. hope that continues. he was very impactful today... if TAA is injured Hendo must play RB before Milner.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Me too, don't think he is going to be able to cut it if we were against teams that have a bit of pace to burn. I still think it's time he asked for a move to a lower tiered team to get more game time as I can't see him start a lot of matches come next season.
Between his injury record and the way he had to work his way up from the lower leagues, he might actually be happy closing out his career as a situational substitute at a higher level than he can start at regularly. Today showed that that may not be the worst thing to have as an option.

mikodelniko13

Difficult week for refs. First the offside goal of sterling and today the two goals one foul on alisson and the 2nd on mo.
Other than that a good performance, matip as usual the weakest link in defence.
Offence was good but again wasteful .
Why shaqiri is frozen?

nonodoll

Good performance by the team today, much better movement, and an injection of creativity by a surprising source (Lalana). I noticed that Burnley started delaying tactics from the off (Heaton taking an age over goal kicks, and Burnley players refusing to pick up the ball for throw ins), truly a team fashioned after their manager. The no call on Allison, for Burnley's first, was painfully comical. Are the PL refs truly this inept, or just a bit 'short bus' (as my wife would say)? The ADRSF (Abu Dhabi Referee Slush Fund) must have seen a bump over the past few weekends.

Now let's hope that the boys can take these types of performances on the road, starting on Wednesday please.

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
ok @Alright Now,
Dont know where to start. I‘m in a defrosting process.
Shared a taxi to Anfield with two young girls from Norway.
Watched the arrival of the team coach. Our seats were behind the cornerflag row 3 King Kenny Stand. Worst seats I ever had in a stadium. So we had the whole cold, wind, rain and hail. I admire the capacity for suffering of my missus.
Watched parts of the match and the goals afterwards on my mobile phone.
A little bit disappointed thad nobody of us spotted me. I was the only pipe smoking person at Anfield.
All that said:
It was a unique experience. It was wonderfull.
i‘m so proud to have been involved,
I‘ll never forget this day.
Three points, avoided ban, further opportunities to travel to Anfield.
How can I ask for more?

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
I don't expect them to come out and play, but I do expect a little bit of sportsmanship. That first goal of theirs spelt otherwise. I still can't believe the ref and linesman didn't see it. Alisson was crowded and pressed down by not one, not two but three Burnley players. They used to park the bus and defend with their dear lives, and I get it, don't complain too much about park the bus team. Matter of fact if we can't break them because of that, it's our incompetence, not their negative tactic.

But that shit they're doing these days, finding the dirtiest way to get by. If the ref didn't see it and didn't call it, they get away with it and that's what happened today.

And also, their manager - I dislike their manager.

And that overruling call that allow Sterling goal to stand the day before. Hard not to think there's something there, when the smoke is getting thicker.
On the ir 1st goal poor positioning by the ref, however the view from the Lino (assistant ref) was the best and imo he bottled it or was biased/ paid or just cheated.

Alright Now

ok @Alright Now,
Dont know where to start. I‘m in a defrosting process.
Shared a taxi to Anfield with two young girls from Norway.
Watched the arrival of the team coach. Our seats were behind the cornerflag row 3 King Kenny Stand. Worst seats I ever had in a stadium. So we had the whole cold, wind, rain and hail. I admire the capacity for suffering of my missus.
Watched parts of the match and the goals afterwards on my mobile phone.
A little bit disappointed thad nobody of us spotted me. I was the only pipe smoking person at Anfield.
All that said:
It was a unique experience. It was wonderfull.
i‘m so proud to have been involved,
I‘ll never forget this day.
Three points, avoided ban, further opportunities to travel to Anfield.
How can I ask for more?
Cheers! You'll carry it forever.

dockers_strike

Why do we always get crap refs? Sorry to keep starting post match reports like this and I guess the answer is, every one of them is crap so yes, we always get them.

In my honest opinion, Burnley's opening goal doesnt stand in any other major European league. Peter Schmicel used to get free kicks at corners if the attackers so much looked at him. This is ludicrous, Allison is clearly impeded by the Burnley's players in front of him. He doesnt go chasing the ref for no good reason either and certainly not just because he has conceeded a goal, even if it does mean he's lost his clean sheet bonus. Everyone in the ground could see it. Except that is, Mariner who pompously booked Allison for his protests!

The conditions for the players were really poor and, I have to admit when that went in, I thought 'is this the day our title dreams die?' But the boys response was magnificent. They could quite easily have collapsed and lost the game. Instead we were really determined and eager to stay in the fight.

I must admit, I had raised eyebrows at Lallana's inclusion, same as most people, probably. But the truth is, he has a very good game. No, correction, he had an excellent game. This was the Lallana of 2 years ago not the injury plagued player of late.He was instrumental in both first half goals and thoroughly deserved his standing ovation when he came off.

I got the impression when we went ahead that not even a shithead ref was going to stop us getting all 3 points even if I did a quick rethink when they made it 3-2 in added time.

In the second half we played some very good football and was desparately unlucky not to score more than we did. Trent put in one absolutely cracking cross which Sadio managed to get a toe to but also put over the bar. He wasnt to be denied though and made it 6 goals in 6 consecutive league appearances at Anfield deep in added time to erase any thoughts that Burnley may get something.

There were good performances all around today, even Dan looked sharp when he came on. Sadio must get frustrated showing for the ball so often then finding teammates pass the ball to someone else.

It's a close call for MoTM. As I mentioned Lallana was exception but he didnt complete the game and as that's one of my criteria for being MoTM, I have to give it to Virgil who was imperious yet again.

The 12 o clock kick off flattened the atmos a little but on a horrible day, the crowd tried its best. But, it's hard to sing up when you're bliddy freezing! No doubt much to Sky Sports and a few other commentators disappointment, we returned to being 1 point behind city. And that's all we can do, hang on to their coattails and hope they crack once again.

It's Fulham away next week and it's another 3 points we need to win. Cmon reds.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Between his injury record and the way he had to work his way up from the lower leagues, he might actually be happy closing out his career as a situational substitute at a higher level than he can start at regularly. Today showed that that may not be the worst thing to have as an option.
Lallana as a midfielder - Yes please.
Lallana in the front 3 - No thanks.

Just watched the extended highlights and he is excellent as the first trigger for our midfield press (which bobby was dropped deeper to provide with him out). Keita needs to watch his game.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
It just goes to show, why the Mem and I are not managers of Liverpool and Kloppo is. We both let out a groan of disbelief / horror when we saw Lallana's name on the team sheet. And it turns out that he was (and very deservedly so) the man of the match. So, well done Kloppo, the team selection was spot on. And well done Adam, you done good son. :well done:

Conversely, it's a pity that PGMOL can't get their selections right. Andrew Manuriner is absolute shite. He did everything in his power to gift the match to burnley, including allowing them to foul our goalie carte blanche, while scoring a non-goal; booking two of our players while turning a blind eye to a multitude of sins on their part. How is that possible? It takes refereeing incompetence to a whole new level.

Still, a thoroughly deserved win for us, and three points is three points. :celebrating:

We go again.

Limiescouse

Lallana as a midfielder - Yes please.
Lallana in the front 3 - No thanks.

Just watched the extended highlights and he is excellent as the first trigger for our midfield press (which bobby was dropped deeper to provide with him out). Keita needs to watch his game.
The keys to Lallana being useful are him managing to stay fit and Klopp being able to use him correctly. The former is going to be tough given his age and what he's suffered the last 2 years. However, if he can, and Klopp doesnt feel he needs to use in the front 3, then he can not only be a very useful player, he could be the creative and goal scoring spark from deeper that takes the pressure off the front 3 many people have been crying out for.

Probably the best bit about the game was the demonstration of tremendous mental strength. After the way City won their points yesterday, to go down so early to such a terrible goal it would have been easy to mentally fall apart. That they didnt, and yet again showed the faith in their ability, is probably the best thing we could ask for at this stage of the season.

On a final note, does anyone know what Klopp was so mad about on their second goal (I mean other than conceding)?

Noo Noo

The keys to Lallana being useful are him managing to stay fit and Klopp being able to use him correctly. The former is going to be tough given his age and what he's suffered the last 2 years. However, if he can, and Klopp doesnt feel he needs to use in the front 3, then he can not only be a very useful player, he could be the creative and goal scoring spark from deeper that takes the pressure off the front 3 many people have been crying out for.

Probably the best bit about the game was the demonstration of tremendous mental strength. After the way City won their points yesterday, to go down so early to such a terrible goal it would have been easy to mentally fall apart. That they didnt, and yet again showed the faith in their ability, is probably the best thing we could ask for at this stage of the season.

On a final note, does anyone know what Klopp was so mad about on their second goal (I mean other than conceding)?
I gather from his interview that he wasn't happy that we were basically gifting Burnley the ball. We should have controlled possession far better.

Limiescouse

I gather from his interview that he wasn't happy that we were basically gifting Burnley the ball. We should have controlled possession far better.
Possibly, but it's a little harsh to berate the lino for that though.

RED SAM

good game ... keep the chase ... next the Germans ...its all or none now and our Lads must play the game of their lives... One worry, nobody is keen on creating for Salah nowadays, especially Mane with no understanding what so ever between them past four or five games or so ... lots of bad criticism lately esp. from fans....I think he's already made up his mind on Leaving next year esp. if we end up with no trophies this year judging by his comments to local papers in Egypt.... I just hope its not going to be the likes of City/united or Chelsea... and there are talks about Real and Juventus already

Commando

Difficult week for refs. First the offside goal of sterling and today the two goals one foul on alisson and the 2nd on mo.
Other than that a good performance, matip as usual the weakest link in defence.
Offence was good but again wasteful .
Why shaqiri is frozen?
Some more from yesterday. Pickford should have walked. Multiple Newcastle players offside for their winner. Tottenham should have had a couple of players sent off. All in all Prem refs are mostly shite.

As for today. Lallana great. Mane, Bobby and Mo great. Fabinho also great. I went for Virgil as MOTM as he was being fouled for the first twenty minutes by their number ten and just carried on. Never put a foot wrong all game. Hendo had a nice little cameo as well. Let's keep doing what we need to do.

COYR YNWA

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I think Lallana's role is a bit different than what a lot of people think. Don't expect goals from him, or even to many assists. Lallana's biggest asset is his playing intelligence and understanding of Klopp's game plan.
He counter press in the right areas and the right times, his movement off the ball creates spaces for the front 3 to operate, especially Firmino.
Unlike Gini ,Hendo or Milner, Lallana had a license to roam all across the pitch rather be contained to certain side. Add Firmino dropping a bot deeper, many times you would see them operating in the same area. That frees space for Firmino.
The other thing that Lallana does better than anyone else is his runs. Gini and Milner runs are usually very direct and aimed to actually recieve the ball. Lallana runs are usually diagonal and are aimed to drag a defender and create space.
If he can keep himself healthy and uninjured, he will have a big role this season.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I think Lallana's role is a bit different than what a lot of people think. Don't expect goals from him, or even to many assists. Lallana's biggest asset is his playing intelligence and understanding of Klopp's game plan.
He counter press in the right areas and the right times, his movement off the ball creates spaces for the front 3 to operate, especially Firmino.
Unlike Gini ,Hendo or Milner, Lallana had a license to roam all across the pitch rather be contained to certain side. Add Firmino dropping a bot deeper, many times you would see them operating in the same area. That frees space for Firmino.
The other thing that Lallana does better than anyone else is his runs. Gini and Milner runs are usually very direct and aimed to actually recieve the ball. Lallana runs are usually diagonal and are aimed to drag a defender and create space.
If he can keep himself healthy and uninjured, he will have a big role this season.
All good if he has space to operate, and all well if the opposing team dwells on their passes or slower tempo of play.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
I thought Sadio was slightly better today, even though Lallana made an admirable return to active duty. A midfield of he and Gini is pressing heaven, elderflower actually. Sadio is looking like our best overall striker this season, to me anyway. Great finish for the second goal.

That Dyche can maintain a job in professional football really gives me hope for lasting world peace. Blatant fucking cheating and double speak. Thankfully God made him in the image of a Simpsons walk-on twat.

Difficult game for Keita to come in to, if we are honest. The second concession is a concern and I expect the lads are just getting over the bollocking. They had packed in a little, thinking they were over the line. The only question is whether Trent is alright.

Game on then.

Tony walker

Joel Matip has done well for us since standing in .
Ok the mistake in conceding the corner for their first goal , but he gives me more confidence than Lovren , and when the medals are handed out at the end of the season his is fully deserved .
We are hard to beat , defensively strong ,with Fabinho holding .
The balance in midfield was better with Lallana offering a more attack minded midfield .
More of the same mentality to finish off the season please .
Score in Munich lads and we will be hard to beat .
Go for it Red men

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
All good if he has space to operate, and all well if the opposing team dwells on their passes or slower tempo of play.
Agree. I don't thinkhe is the first name on the sheet, or even an automatic starter. I Am saying that I am not as surprised by his inclusion and he will have a role to play until the end of the season.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Bit of a mad game played in mad conditions. I know JK got some stick for complaining about the wind last week but it was definitely a factor today. Howling gale and I think that explained a lot of the misplaced passes and poor control, especially first half. Must have been difficult to play in that.

My heart sank when I saw Lallana was starting but what do I know? He totally deserved his standing ovation. We have lost the press in the last few weeks and he brought it back. Not only that but he knitted the midfield and attack together in a way no one else has been able to do for a long time. He will probably be injured again next week so I won't get too excited about it but he must have been really impressive in training and his performance today did kind of explain why JK brought him on last week against Everton.

When Burnley scored I feared that this could be the day when the title charge might finally grind to a halt. Difficult conditions and difficult opponents (time-wasting in the second minute, not sure I've seen that before), but we fought back well. The atmosphere was at its best during those 20 minutes or so when we went behind and then went ahead. Anfield is at its best when it is angry and we were very fucking angry. Just a slight tremor when Burnley pulled it back to 3-2 but Mane's goal soon stopped that. 3-2 would have been a travesty given the obvious gulf between the teams. A very good win and decent performance given the conditions.

XMarlin

I felt the lads looked much more composed today than they have in the past 6-7 weeks.

Even after going down by a goal, they didn't appear to be as "frantic" going forward.

I'm not sure if the passing, dribbling, tackling percentages were significantly different but it just seemed as if there was more method than madness on the pitch today.

Difficult to pick one player over the others for me today.

VVD was tenacious, Bobby rocked, Sadio and Mo were all over....etc, etc...

Bobby looked very good though...much more composed and effective both on and off the ball.

Maybe we should strap some ankle-weights to TAA...his crossing passes are going a little long...lol

Anyway, 3 points in the book and Spurs and United lost and Chelsea were held to a draw. If City had lost I would have said that the stars were in alignment but unfortunately they didn't.

We move on.

YNWA

Red over the water

Lovely jubbly, three points and we stay within pouncing distance of Man City should they stumble.

I gave Lallana my vote for MOTM. This was like the old Lallana with lots of energy and pressing, the best example being the one that led to Mane’s first goal. Speaking of whom, Mane almost got MOTM as he did very well too. I was expecting Lallana to be moved on in summer, but on this evidence he’s worth keeping around.

Burnley - gave it their all, illegally, as expected. Their first goal was a bad foul on Alisson and remarkably the ref didn’t give a free kick. We showed a lot of fight at that point, and a bit of injustice seemed to put fire in the bellies of the players. It also prompted the crowd to get right behind them, so credit to anyone who was there today. The support came across on the tv really loud, and with passion.

It was a good win in the end. A sloppy goal conceded late on briefly gave them hope, but we quickly restored a two goal cushion to run out worthy winners.

The conditions were atrocious, with the wind and hail. A couple of passes were really swatted down by the wind and watching the ball seemed to defy physics.

Onwards and upwards. Massive game against Bayern Munich midweek. They seem bang on form, warming up for the tie with a 6-0 win. It will need a big performance to go through. Hopefully Mo has been saving himself for a nice brace in Munich.

Win there and then beat Fulham to go back to the top of the Prem. That’ll do for this next week!