• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool v Burnley (EPL 11/7/20 3pm)

Man of the Match

• Total voters

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Poor 2nd half.
I don’t see us winning all 3 to get 100 points as when we go level or behind we can’t seem to find that extra gear as already champions.
Can’t have everything I suppose.

lfc.8

Disgusting. Dominated the game but that's poor all round. Offside which wasn't an offside which led to their goal. Absolutely wasteful in front of goal. Nowhere near good enough. Another record gone missing. Shocking. Need to win the last three now. No room for error.

Flobs

FADA
Not giving any of our players MOTM even if Robbo scored with a glaswegian kiss and Jones was good. MOTM goes to Pope. Salah poor again and what happened to Gomez then VVD?

big noyd

our finishing was poor, rodriguez's was sublime

irritating but really means fuck all, wow we drew at home after they got rid of fans

Danny_

Was just thinking at the end how far we have come under Klopp that we are pissed off about not winning every home game. :) It was one of those days where we should have won it but didn't. Their goal was very good also so no complaints from me.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
We should have had at least 2-3 goals in the first half. Mo was abit under par today, he should have scored at least one goal, not sure what is going on there, he needs to concentrate, his finishing was terrible by his standards. The subs really didn't help either. Ah well, at least we didn't lose the game. Burnley are always abit of tough team to crack anyway. Their time wasting GK was also on his A game with the saves he was making.

Red over the water

When we were well on top at 1-0 we needed to add another goal. Too wasteful, too lackadaisical. To my mind it shows how much we need another striker. The front three are ace, but it wasn’t quite there today. i‘m a bit pissed off with Mo too, should have easily scored.

So many fouls by Burnley went unpunished. Par for the course.
Got nothing off the ref or lino. Par for the course.
VAR let us down on their goal. Par for the course.

Bah humbug. We are ace, but today, too sloppy.
Cant win em all at home.
Now need three wins to beat 100 points... touch and go.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
You always get the odd freaky result over the course of a season. Today was that day. We look poor under corners and can be got at with a physical approach under set pieces in general I think.
Very poor second half and yet still Mo had 2 great chances to score and fluffed his lines on both occasions. I would have kept Jones on and maybe stuck Shaq on for something different. Ox has dropped off a cliff recently too having almost no impact at all when he has been given chances.

big noyd

jones looked great again, if it wasn't for hendo's injury i'd say sell gini and don't bother with thiago

macca1970

A classic smash and grab from Burnley to make it 1-1.

We set up with a strong team, and two youngsters. The first half, we played well and created many chances, but only one to show for it. It was a magnificent header by Andy to open the scoring.

Neco did well, but Curtis was the stand out. Seemed like he was given freedom to play on front of Gini and Fabinho.

Pope did well for Burnley, and kept them in the game. Obvious game plan to frustrate and stay in the game as long as possible. Our goal did not alter their approach at all. On the flip side, we fluffed our best chances with some scuffed shots.

The second half started in a similar vein, and we were controlling the game. Unfortunately then damn drinks break occurred, a long ball (from a wrong offside decisions, but shit happens), but then a great header, and a smart swiveled finish from Rodriguez.

Sometimes these sorts of games occur. A few years back we probably would have lost 0-1, so put it own to something we can learn from, and go again midweek.

Salah – everyone moaning about his finishing (which was admittedly below par in this game) but his approach play could not be faulted. Some lovely touches, runs, and brining others into play.

Wanted Klopp to throw Big Div on in injury time.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Was meh should have finished it and didn’t, I’d say forget the records and little footnotes and just play the best you can from now on.

20 or 30 years from now no one will really care about records all that matters is we won the title.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
A moment of defensive lapse (please, no more subs at a defensive set piece!), against a brilliant keeper, and plenty of wasted chances. Disappointed with the outcome. I really am lost for words that we did not run away with 6-0 out of this game.

...And I really despise Burnley and their shithousery, and of course, its manager.

Another poor officials performance. Gave an offside that was not an offside (which resulted in a goal against us). No called against all the fouls against Ali. Failed to call a pen for Robbo when tripped.

I noticed that Gomez is having another poor game.

Might as well go into the 3 picks:

1. Bobby: He was everywhere linking up plays, holding the ball well. So, so close scoring his first Anfield goal for this season.
2. Jones: He was assertive, great vision. I thought that we were much better with him on instead of Baby. The sub and timing of it were really unfortunate. Then again, we would probably not talk about it if we managed a win.
3. Mr Octopus: Not just the long and extra limbs keeping the ball around him, or nicking the ball from the opposition, that was some pass to Robbo for the opener.

Shout out to Robbo for his hammerhead.

Last edited:

Sweeting

Was meh should have finished it and didn’t, I’d say forget the records and little footnotes and just play the best you can from now on.

20 or 30 years from now no one will really care about records all that matters is we won the title.
What you mean you haven't gone into every season hoping to emulate the great Sunderland team of 1892?

petergriffin2020

It's all for me grog
Is it me or do sky and BT love it when we drop points?
You have raised an interesting point — people go on about Tyler hating us, but I really don’t actually think that’s it (he has freaked out over a number of our goals). He just plays the hipster role where he acts disengaged 99% of the time unless something crazy happens, which is when he freaks out. In other words, he doesn’t have an allegiance, he’s just always looking for the big story — and us not winning is, at present, a big story.