• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool v Burnley (EPL 11/7/20 3pm)

Man of the Match

• Total voters

nonodoll

Jones, and Neco both look very promising. Not often you see Mo fluf so many shots, could have added to his tally multiple times today. If he doesn't get the golden boot, Mo can only blame himself. Too bad that Hendo is injured, the second half could have used his fire. I feel that we will drop more points in the last few games; the fire just isn't there since the Palace game. Of course we have the big prize, but trimming that with all of the other possible records would have been nice.

Zoran

A mix of bad finishing, a bit of luck, Nick Pope (similar performance to his Burnley debut, which was also at Anfield and also ended 1-1 if I remember well), but also for our new standards this season, quite a lot of little technical mistakes on the ball. We didn't really end the game fluid enough, it was more or less hit and hope. We probably had our best spells more in the first half. Salah should've scored at least once. Fabinho was on point in almost all aspects.

Redopium

Second half was pedestrian, no urgency in our play whatsoever, after the kids were subbEd the game changEd in their favour. Mo looked like boots on wrong feet. I think that’s our record points ambitions are gone.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
We have only ourselves to blame. So many chances missed. Lack of ruthlessness in front of goal costing us once more. We were great up and until the first subs were made apart from the finishing, but after that we lost all momentum and I'm going to give credit to Burnley because they didn't just sit back and hold on to the point. They kept going and could easily have won.

It's in these games where I think we miss the leadership of a Henderson or a Milner. Someone who can just get us grounded and then going again. No one really stepped up after the equaliser. That's a bit of a worry for me longer term. It was like an old Liverpool performance where we dominate, should have scored a hatful, but then the opposition equaliser takes all the wind out of us and you could just tell it wasn't going to happen for us. Also the lack of a crowd in these circumstances makes a huge difference. It would have been mental in there for those last 20 minutes and that's often enough to get us across the line.

Alright Now

Jones, and Neco both look very promising. Not often you see Mo fluf so many shots, could have added to his tally multiple times today. If he doesn't get the golden boot, Mo can only blame himself. Too bad that Hendo is injured, the second half could have used his fire. I feel that we will drop more points in the last few games; the fire just isn't there since the Palace game. Of course we have the big prize, but trimming that with all of the other possible records would have been nice.
I feel the fire is, but maybe the sharpness isn’t. Lot of moving parts.

Red over the water

I saw a stat somewhere showing the percentage of points dropped when Hendo is out of the side. Basically, it’s disproportionate, and in a smaller sample of games without Hendo, we drop a heck of a lot of our points.

Credit to the captain. Digs Deep when the going gets tough and by character and will to win he seems to drag an extra 5-10% out of them to get it over the line.

Missed Hendo today.

wibseyred

The must important issue for Klopp between now and the start of new season in mid September is how to get Bobby firing again. His lack of regular goals has always been more than covered by his general play and his assists. But now he's struggling on both those too not looking sharp at all.

RodM

Well the fragmented post match threads seems to sum up our afternoon. We should have won this easily but didn't. Pope was brilliant; no doubt about that; but we should have buried our chances.

Pleased with Jones and Neco. Both did well and I think we looked far better with them on the pitch.

MotM to Robbo. Peach of a goal and a huge threat down that left wing. Probably should have had a penalty although I agree with the VAR replay in that when he was brought down in the box he was quite clearly wearing a Liverpool shirt.

Magnus

Disappointing result. This was the second game of the season that I could not watch, so can't comment if the play was disappointing as well. I very much doubt we will make that record now. Doesn't look like it.

FGred

I have looked at the rules and the goalkeeper is definitely not allowed to be impeded Repeatedly (sorry Mugged) at every set piece with impunity I fully sympathise with our manager when he finally got annoyed with the ref him and the other officials were turning a blind eye to any foul play from Burnley and had We been wearing a manure shirt Robbo would have got a stone wall penalty. it does feel like like a loss and I am the only one not to give credit to Burnley. Against Shitty they didn’t bother the goalie once. VAR is a joke at the moment. Still 102 points new target if we win the next 3 games But with fair refereeing we can do it. Still champions and up yours Tyler!

lfc.8

I haven't seen the game as yet but it smacks of typical Liverpool. With nothing to play for, limited pressure our quality drops off a cliff.

Pressure on we beat anyone.
Point is there's actually a few things to play for. All within grasp and so close. One particular record now gone. The team did well for the most part but did not finish. Finishing however is the most important part. The mentality to push on was also lacking. The overriding feeling is it just wasn't good enough.

Two additional points is the way we conceded and the fact it wasn't an offside. Penalty also not given. Frustrating to say the least.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Really pissed off with ex Reds pundits on all the channels. They go out of their way to big up the opposition and decry what the Reds are doing. I started the day watching on BT. Steve McManaman was bugging up Burnley and putting down the Reds all game. Switched to Bein sports. I think it was the NBC coverage. Jim Beglin was just as bad. The foul in Mo near the end where we were in with a good chance of breaking, he said “no foul” then they showed a replay of the incident. Mo wins the ball and Bardsley catches him. Beglin says “no foul. The ref has been kind to Liverpool there”. FFS can’t they just admit what they see?

lfc.8

Really pissed off with ex Reds pundits on all the channels. They go out of their way to big up the opposition and decry what the Reds are doing. I started the day watching on BT. Steve McManaman was bugging up Burnley and putting down the Reds all game. Switched to Bein sports. I think it was the NBC coverage. Jim Beglin was just as bad. The foul in Mo near the end where we were in with a good chance of breaking, he said “no foul” then they showed a replay of the incident. Mo wins the ball and Bardsley catches him. Beglin says “no foul. The ref has been kind to Liverpool there”. FFS can’t they just admit what they see?
Commentators like that lose credibility with remarks like that.

Magnus

Disappointing result. This was the second game of the season that I could not watch, so can't comment if the play was disappointing as well. I very much doubt we will make that record now. Doesn't look like it.
Apparently, according to media and you guys, Liverpool played a very good match except Pope was outstanding. Not a disappointing match then even if the result was slightly awkward. Good to know given I had to work and could not watch.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Apparently, according to media and you guys, Liverpool played a very good match except Pope was outstanding. Not a disappointing match then even if the result was slightly awkward. Good to know given I had to work and could not watch.
What's disappointing was the finishing. And then the last 20 minutes after the double change and the immediate goal afterwards (did the change take place on an opposing free-kick? Can't remember...). We looked completely toothless upfront and conceded several further high-quality chances for Burnley through clueless defending and an absent midfield. Very uncharacteristic for us these days...

But the first 69 minutes were class to be fair, just with that damn lack of finishing hurting us, and Pope having two or three world-class moments to deny us.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
What's disappointing was the finishing. And then the last 20 minutes after the double change and the immediate goal afterwards (did the change take place on an opposing free-kick? Can't remember...). We looked completely toothless upfront and conceded several further high-quality chances for Burnley through clueless defending and an absent midfield. Very uncharacteristic for us these days...

But the first 69 minutes were class to be fair, just with that damn lack of finishing hurting us, and Pope having two or three world-class moments to deny us.
The free kick was awarded for an offside that wasn't. Another example of bent officiating.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
How was that a draw?

One of those matches where the Anfield crowd would have pushed the team - when Robbo kicked the ball out for Burnley's player - that would not have happened with a full loud Anfield.

Pope would not have made all those saves as the noise is so loud at Anfield, it causes imbalance in goalkeepers (no one knows this so keep it hush) - loud noise through ears can cause imbalance.

Salah would have taken his usual bullet shots as he normally aims for someone behind the goal... so as you can see, not having a crowd works better for the away team.

Pissed off for around 10mins, then I dusted myself off - remembered that we are champions of fucking everything at the moment.... and we have the right to be drunk until at least next season.

On our perch.

rab

All too slow and disjointed. Think the boys are struggling to get up for these games given the objective has been achieved and there's no fans to roar them on.

On another day it could have been a very different scoreline but we only scored one and that kept them in the game.

Can still see a couple issues being repeated. It's a huge ask to expect Neco to cover both fullback slots next year as he's still raw. The attacking threat from the flanks is imperative, especially in games like this so having options here is needed.

We really miss an attacking player to play those killer passes when teams play deep. Ox and Keita are good ball carriers and Naby has it in him but we don't get it consistently enough from him with the injury issues. Ox I'm really worried about. One of those players on the fringes of our best 11 and I'm struggling to remember the last time he stood out in a game.

Firmino is another who's performances have slipped and the goals have dried up. Surprised Minamino hasn't been given more minutes down the middle with Salah and Mane either side.

Finally, needing a goal Klopp didn't look to his bench, even though Salah seemed way off and Mane drifted out the game and seemed to get frustrated. That's when you'd like that third quality wide player in the squad to come off the bench. In my opinion Origi is never going to be that and Shaqiri seems to be totally out of consideration. After that, we're looking at a 17 year old.

It's a draw in a game that doesn't matter and that in years gone by we'd have almost certainly lost but there are some signs of complacency and a lack of faith in squad players emerging.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Hard to draw many conclusions from this sequence of games. With the exception of United, no team has been consistently good since restart. Loads of games in a short period of time. Lots of team changes. We're a momentum team and get better results with a settled first eleven. No chance of that between now and the end of this season.so performances are bound to be up and down.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Hard to draw many conclusions from this sequence of games. With the exception of United, no team has been consistently good since restart. Loads of games in a short period of time. Lots of team changes. We're a momentum team and get better results with a settled first eleven. No chance of that between now and the end of this season.so performances are bound to be up and down.
Klopp has also got the Anfield faithful going and the team works of their energy - with that missing, it works against the team - you could see that in the last 10 mins today.