• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool v Burnley (EPL 11/7/20 3pm)

Man of the Match

• Total voters

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Two bad decisions from a dodgy ref cost us but frankly we should have won that with the chances we had. Finishing was bad and frankly I feel Firminho has been poor for a while now. Everyone keeps telling me how well he creates space and chances for others but he has not been effective for quite a while now.It is goals that count.
I felt we lost the midfield and lost control when Jones came off. He had been everywhere and challenging for everything. Man of the match for me.
Totally disagree on Bobby I thought he was involved in a lot of our good stuff and when we went into his feet we looked dangerous especially in the 1st half, the main culprit, apart from the ref, was Salah's finishing which was woeful he had a hat-trick of easy chances and failed.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Klopp has also got the Anfield faithful going and the team works of their energy - with that missing, it works against the team - you could see that in the last 10 mins today.
Yes, said similar earlier on in the thread. It would have been frenzied in that last 20 minutes. May not have changed the result but there would have been a very different dynamic. This whole period is a bit weird really. The frequency of games. The 'drinks breaks', which stop any momentum we might have. Also there not being much to play for, but the absence of an atmosphere is a really big blow to us. Hopefully we'll have crowds back at some point next season because I don't see us doing so well without them.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Wasted chance after chance to win the game, it should’ve been about 4-0 at half time. Just not clinical in front of goal. Can we bring Danny Ings back to the club, he would’ve taken a couple of those chances I’m sure.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Apparently, according to media and you guys, Liverpool played a very good match except Pope was outstanding. Not a disappointing match then even if the result was slightly awkward. Good to know given I had to work and could not watch.
Yes, not much to be disappointed about in my opinion, apart from not getting that second goal to kill them. We played some very good attacking football today; thought we had good rhythm in our passing, and good variation between going long and building through the half-spaces.

The Flying Pig

These are the type of games I hate most
Well organised thuggery and weak/poor officials allowed to succeed because of our wastefulness.
Dozens of gilt edges chances created by our domination, wasted with just a smile and a shrug.
Oh well, there will be another chance along in a minute.
Poor decisions in front of goal caused I suspect by golden boot fever.
We got mugged but what is even more annoying ....we deserved it !

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Not sure what has happened to our defence since the restart. Look very nervous.
I think alisson has totally switched off since winning the league.
Hes not playing well. His kicking is poor as well.
Vvd is having some slight lapses whereas Joe is having a few more.
Robbo was on it today but been off it prior to this game.
This was always going to happen winning the league so early.

Gazmaninaus

Far too many players just going through the motions. Understandable since the league is done and dusted. Still it looks like we’re in a mid season slump at the end of the season. We were well and truely in it just before the break for COVID-19.

Richard88

I haven't really been carried away by the hype with Jones previously, despite the wonder-strike against Everton and his goal against Villa. But I was really impressed by his performance today. In particular I liked the unpredictable manner in which he drove play forward and made things happen out of nothing.

Neco did reasonably well as well; though I have to say that his last two performances have dampened my expectations somewhat. In his previous cameo appearances he appeared to create chances at will every time he touched the ball, but in the last two PL games he's seemingly struggled to create much going forward (admittedly he was playing at LB against Villa though). He played out of trouble and found nice passing options frequently, but I found that he was a bit toothless around the box and often the play died with him as he would shoot at inopportune moments rather than picking his spots a bit. Not overly concerning, but there's certainly several elements of his game that he needs to refine - which is to be expected of course for a young player.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I don’t disagree with how annoying Burnley is and their tactics. But they know who they are, and they hung in against the Champions and they nicked a point. Deserved? Not a chance in hell. But that’s football. Now, having said ALL of that, we have no one to blame but ourselves. We played outstanding for the majority of the first half and should’ve had this band of cockroaches buried by half. For whatever reason, the ball was not going in the net for our boys. Wide open looks from Jones, Sadio, Mo, Bobby. Mo missed an absolute sitter into a wide open net in the second half, (minutes before they scored) how often does that happen? But again, you always run the risk of a smash and grab with Burnley when only one goal ahead. It was one of those days.

Last thought, it’s really ok to express emotion when we lose. Football is an emotional game and the passion is a beautiful thing. This team can still break a few records, and IMO the frustration or dismay from fans actually stems from the incredible belief we have in these boys and how good they really are. No one knows them like we do. Certainly if they don’t break these records, it will take NONE of the luster off winning the title for me. But at the same time breaking those records would cement our boys in history as some of the best to EVER do it, and the history books would look upon them and celebrate them famously....this, in addition to being the first side to break the 30 year title drought.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Yeah I thought Jones played well, having reflected I’d say we weren’t clinical enough and seem to drop off after the water breaks which frankly I get rid of if the temperature is less than a certain degree.

To be fair however we have done enough to win these games bar the City and Everton games so it doesn’t worry me considering all but 2 still had the title counting on it.

As I said forget the records and these golden boots and rubbish if they come they come, be gutting if we didn’t get over 100 or at least 100 but hopefully we win 3 from 3.

At least we get a day on Arsenal after they play the Derby tomorrow.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Disappointing,didn't expect it to be easy,but it seemed we made it harder.
Particularly since the restart we miss Hendo,but that is the way of it for the rest of the season.
So,unless we can get it together before Arsenal don't see much chance of breaking the record.
Young Jones looked the part,good for him.
MOTM for me has to be Robbo!

jaffod

Disappointing,didn't expect it to be easy,but it seemed we made it harder.
Particularly since the restart we miss Hendo,but that is the way of it for the rest of the season.
So,unless we can get it together before Arsenal don't see much chance of breaking the record.
Young Jones looked the part,good for him.
MOTM for me has to be Robbo!
We'll twat Arsenal. They play Spurs tomorrow, us on Wednesday then a cup semi final on Saturday. Unless Arteta is insane they'll go strong in the 2 games either side of ours and play a second string against us.
Then Chelsea 3 days after their semi. They'll need the points for a top 4 finish so will come out which could play into our hands, they've conceded 8 in their last 3 away games at West Ham, Palace and Sheffield Utd ffs!. Their 'keeper and Zouma will turn into prime-Buffon and Baresi of course but we'll find a way.
If we go into the last match at Newcastle needing 3 points to break the record then I think that will be motivation enough to see off those wankers.
Jobs a good 'un!

Flobs

FADA
I have looked at the rules and the goalkeeper is definitely not allowed to be impeded Repeatedly (sorry Mugged) at every set piece with impunity I fully sympathise with our manager when he finally got annoyed with the ref him and the other officials were turning a blind eye to any foul play from Burnley
i think you need to help yourselves in these situations as well and we don't which is Klopp's fault. In that I mean we can see their players lining up to hinder Allisson yet noone goes to protect him. If he was being protected the chances of a fowl against them is increased as to get to Allisson they would have to go through one of our players.
We still haven't sorted out how to defend corners and it becomes a big worry when the opposition start winning corners and free kicks one after thye other.

Flobs

FADA
Apparently, according to media and you guys, Liverpool played a very good match except Pope was outstanding. Not a disappointing match then even if the result was slightly awkward. Good to know given I had to work and could not watch.
our finishing was disappointing however the game itself was entertaining. I didn't fall asleep so that's better from us to when Hendo doesn't start. :)

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Not giving any of our players MOTM even if Robbo scored with a glaswegian kiss and Jones was good. MOTM goes to Pope. Salah poor again and what happened to Gomez then VVD?
Find it difficult to criticise Virgil, but rule number one in the defenders handbook is dont turn your back.
WTF was he doing?

As an aside, anyone else find the strip of electrical tape worn by our players every time there is a black armband display a bit naff?

Maybe it's my military background, but I find it shows little effort and very unprofessional.
How hard is it to purchase and wear decent black armbands?

Red Armada

TIA Regular
i think you need to help yourselves in these situations as well and we don't which is Klopp's fault. In that I mean we can see their players lining up to hinder Allisson yet noone goes to protect him. If he was being protected the chances of a fowl against them is increased as to get to Allisson they would have to go through one of our players.
We still haven't sorted out how to defend corners and it becomes a big worry when the opposition start winning corners and free kicks one after thye other.
Perhaps he should have instructed his players to wrestle Burnley's in our box. It worked well for them after all.

Also, we still haven't sorted set piece defending? Have you missed the last couple of seasons or what?

Flobs

FADA
Perhaps he should have instructed his players to wrestle Burnley's in our box. It worked well for them after all.

Also, we still haven't sorted set piece defending? Have you missed the last couple of seasons or what?
o_O

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I thought we were excellent first half. 2nd half not so.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Just seen their goal shouldn’t have stood as it came from an incorrect free kick given for offside.
Also Alisson should know what to expect fro their corners. They will block him off and try to annoy him and it worked.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Still on an unbeaten Anfield run.
Still Champions.
Conclusive evidence that VAR does not favour us. (Robbo pen claim, incorrect free kick leading to their goal.......add Watfords second pen yesterday, it was like close dancing compared to Salah being man handled vs Villa)

All of this, a Pope masterclass.......life isnt too bad
Hopefully CAS uphold the City ban this week, and we look forward to next season with the same drive and determination.

Ps
I was really pleased with Robbo having a go at the ref after the match. Some media calling it a foul mothed tirade.
These clueless fucks must live a closeted life if that counts as a "tirade".

MarcusBerglund

Well, that was not a poor performance form our players. We played well and created enough chances to win the game easily, but we were wasteful infront of goal. Salah missed 3-4 100% situations. Mane and Bobby also had great chances, but were stopped either form the woodwork or by Pope.

Fabinho was my MoM, he is back in business. The assist for Robbo was pure class. Gini did a lot of hard work and I really don't know what is going on with his new contract. Klopp said he wants him at the club, the player said the same thing and still time passes by and no news on his new contract. The club must at least keep Klopp's most influential players.

Jones and Williams did well, Curits is a very confident young player, the ability is there, his short passing is slick, his technique is great and we have a player with great potential. I also liked his defensive contribution too.
Neco played at his traditional position and was much improved. Actually he totally nullified McNeil for the first 65 minutes and Dwight is Burnley's most creative player.

Robertson looked back to his best version, he was rested for the 1st 45 min vs. BHA gave and he was flying /vs. BHA in the 2nd hald and yesterday vs. Burnley/.

Yet the score was 1-1 and we were chasing the win, but Klopp did not introduce any of his offensive players on the bench - Origi, Shaqiri, Elliott, Minamino. This must be the clearest sign that Klopp had his own reservations that any of those player can change the outcome of the match.
Juergen used only Keita and AOC. Sadly Chambo's form is poor, most of his displays this season have not been to the required standard.

This team needs to be refreshed and the signs are clear. After all the club account show that LFC's profit for the last 2 seasons is + 140 mln. pounds.
For example last season Chelsea declared losses of 100 mln. pounds. Still Chelsea spend 100 mln. pounds last season /making the deals for Pulisic and Kovacic permanent/ and this season they are ready to break the 100 mln. pounds barrier once again. Yep they sold Moratta /58 mln. pounds/ and Hazard /90 mln. pounds without bonuses./. But still it is obvious that the spend more than they recieve from sales.

For example last summer LFC's profit form sales and buys is around 40 mln. pounds. This season the club trimmed the wage bill by releasing Clyne and Lallana /matter of two weeks/.

And the cryind need of reinforcement in defence /left back/ and attack /versatile forward/ is obvious. Selling Shaqiri or Origi is another option to add extra finances and we don't need throwing crazy money for someone like Havertz or Sancho.
At the moment there are enough interesting players available for decent transfer fees or even on the loan market.

Standing still for a second successive season will be a huge risk. We are not invincible and we are not immune to mistakes. Chelsea in the FA Cup, Atletico Madrid in the CL, Man City and Watford in the PL showed that there are several ways to beat us and the depth of the team /in several positions/ is not at the required level.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Anyone think Sadio is getting fed up of Salah not passing to him.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Can remember us not winning a derby against Fat Sams Everton because Sadio didn’t pass.

Now he is the ultimate teamplayer.

Sadio changed. Why can’t Salah?