• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Chelsea (EPL 14/5/19 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Matip

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Keita [off 65’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Henderson [off 77’]

Votes: 47 25.1%
  • Salah [f.cking GOAL of the season 53’, off 89’]

Votes: 75 40.1%
  • Firmino

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Mane [GOAL 50’]

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Wijnaldum [on 65’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Milner [on 77’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaqiri [on 89’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Commando

Ad-free Member
Cashly Cole said the same in the studio and said Emerson should’ve screamed.
Souness basically said Fuck off he wasn’t strong enough.
DannyMurphy and Martin Keown were arguing over the Mo/David Luiz incident in the first half. Murphy saying that Mo dived and he doesn't like to see that sort of thing. Keown saying that there was contact and therefore Mo had a right to go down.

I sometimes feel that Murphy tries too hard to come over as impartial when discussin the Reds.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
DannyMurphy and Martin Keown were arguing over the Mo/David Luiz incident in the first half. Murphy saying that Mo dived and he doesn't like to see that sort of thing. Keown saying that there was contact and therefore Mo had a right to go down.

I sometimes feel that Murphy tries too hard to come over as impartial when discussin the Reds.
Murphy is bitter. Can’t stand him.

Wilkored08

I don't understand why it takes 10 WhatsApp messages to you to get 1 reply. Well done nonetheless. Amazing what you're witnessing.
What a game.. what a team.. what a manager.. what a club :-)

So good.. up against a club funded by a country.. spirit, professionals, great fans, emotion, awesome leadership can be a match for anything that all the money in the world can buy!

So proud that the team delivered a blow to the racist minority of Chelski fans (and other racists football fans) and another blow to the shytster media establishment who all led with 'that slip' story in lead up to this game., what a bunch of conspiring snakes! Jurgen Klopp must think what a bunch of idiots exist in this country who continuously try to get under his skin with historical data that is of no relevance.. there are truly a small amount of impartial and decent journalists in the UK.. and why the F**K is that biased SOB Martin Tyler always commentating our games, he doesn't hide his contempt for LFC.. I really don't like him and his kind!
Always disliked Tyler...but he soon changed his tune yesterday when one Mo Salah entered the show with one beautiful, delightful, unstoppable, shot on goal....do ya like us now then Martin????

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Impartial in what sense? Not wanting to be seen as supporting us? Nah, he could write all he wants about how he "loves" the club and fans, but deep down you know he hates us. Ian Wright has more love for us than this fucker will ever have...

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
WOAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAWOOOOOAAAH!!!

I forecast the MIGHTY REDS would win 2-0. However we had to wait until the second half for the red fireworks to go off, and I say, Mo's goal was one of pure unadulterated beauty!

And then we saw the football Gods smile upon us as we struggled to deal with a menacing Hazard who hit the post and then we saw him fire one at Allison. After that everything is a blurr! Our Mighty REDMEN soff aw the game out nicely.

Right its off to sleep!!!

In Klopp we trust!!!

PoolSince70

I beg to differ with Murphy too. When one was moving at Mo's pace, a slight imbalance due to slight nudge, albeit how small, would cause the person to loose his footing and fall.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I beg to differ with Murphy too. When one was moving at Mo's pace, a slight imbalance due to slight nudge, albeit how small, would cause the person to loose his footing and fall.
Would it cause you to stay on your feet, carry on for a second, and then realise you took one on the shins and fall over? Cause that’s what happened.

On this point, both Murphy and Keown are correct. Mo both took a dive and was kicked on the shin, although I think Murphy was over the top in his condemnation.

The problem is not diving, it’s that these are not given unless the player goes to ground. Luiz had a swipe at Salah, and connected with his shin. Foul and Penalty. But if Mo stays on his feet, as he can in that situation, he knows the referee will chicken the decision, like they always fucking do. Start giving penalties when they are penalties, and diving will be cut in half overnight.

The unpleasant difference is that Harry Kane is entitled to go down if he feels contact, and Mo Salah is not. And I think we all know why that is, don’t we.

Barry O'Connor

Just about to leave this beautiful city. What a weekend what a performance what a result. Everything about the day was fantastic even the 60 year old man who ended up on my back after the first goal about 3 rows from his own seat. 4 games left. That's all I'll say not jinking anything.

Wilkored08

Would it cause you to stay on your feet, carry on for a second, and then realise you took one on the shins and fall over? Cause that’s what happened.

On this point, both Murphy and Keown are correct. Mo both took a dive and was kicked on the shin, although I think Murphy was over the top in his condemnation.

The problem is not diving, it’s that these are not given unless the player goes to ground. Luiz had a swipe at Salah, and connected with his shin. Foul and Penalty. But if Mo stays on his feet, as he can in that situation, he knows the referee will chicken the decision, like they always fucking do. Start giving penalties when they are penalties, and diving will be cut in half overnight.

The unpleasant difference is that Harry Kane is entitled to go down if he feels contact, and Mo Salah is not. And I think we all know why that is, don’t we.
Yep, the glow of the sun ....out of someone's bottom.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member

I agree with your analysis, except that Mo does not carry on for a second. Mo reacts to the kick in about 0.28 seconds (7 frames @ 25 fps); most medical texts suggest that a good reaction time is anywhere between 0.25 seconds and 0.35 seconds. So Mo's reaction is what you'd expect i.e. natural response, not simulation.

donks

TIA First Team
Fantastic performance from start to finish from the whole team. 4 more of them please.

Thought Fabinho and Firmino were the 2 best players of the park with honourable mentions for Trent, Mane, Salah and Henderson.

At 2-0 the game went abit mad for 5/10 minutes and it was you have an attack and then we attack. I'd like us to be abit more savvy and kill the game at that stage by maybe a player going down injured, back 4 sitting in and not playing any risky passes. Gini sub should have been made at 2-0 straight away.

Where oh where are these dropped points from City coming from. Teams are not trying a yard against them. Honestly somebody please tell me where it will happen.

Gazmaninaus

I’ve stayed out for a while because I’ve been so dam excited. Didn’t want to jinx the team. However I will say when you take into account. A very good team. Hills borough weekend and the death of one of our great Captains. Then this was a fking special win. A title winning team win.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I agree with your analysis, except that Mo does not carry on for a second. Mo reacts to the kick in about 0.28 seconds (7 frames @ 25 fps); most medical texts suggest that a good reaction time is anywhere between 0.25 seconds and 0.35 seconds. So Mo's reaction is what you'd expect i.e. natural response, not simulation.
Thats a penalty. The fall is a bit exaggerated but there is clearly contact there.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Where oh where are these dropped points from City coming from. Teams are not trying a yard against them. Honestly somebody please tell me where it will happen.
The only saving grace is that Spurs and Utd will need results to guarantee CL next season. They SHOULD be at least trying. If Spurs put City out of the CL this week, there will be doubts in their minds about Saturday. Its going to need a "slip" of some nature for them to drop points

howhardgerrard

TIA Squad Member
Sorry i disagree, it isn't a natural response at all, it is a pre-programmed response by a highly trained professional. He drew in the contact and went to ground, was there contact yes but enough to fall to the ground like you have been shot? Never. The simulation part was the throwing up of the arms, twisting of his head and throwing back his standing foot, there is absolutely no reason for his right foot to kick backwards the way it does.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I didnt really want to comment on Luiz challenge on Salah as it would be seen as my default position. But after some recent comments I am compelled to.
It was a penalty. No doubt about it, contact made, penalty.
The pundits like Murphy dont go on if Sterling or Kane get clipped like this, but the narrative is now that Salah is a diver.
Ladt 2 PL games, two incorrect decisions with penalties, Keita and Salah.
Winning the hard way

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Sorry i disagree, it isn't a natural response at all, it is a pre-programmed response by a highly trained professional. He drew in the contact and went to ground, was there contact yes but enough to fall to the ground like you have been shot? Never. The simulation part was the throwing up of the arms, twisting of his head and throwing back his standing foot, there is absolutely no reason for his right foot to kick backwards the way it does.
Sorry, disagree. Natural response from an athlete travelling at speed and being impeded. Definite penalty, his road was blocked illegally. Not much more to say on it.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Thats a penalty. The fall is a bit exaggerated but there is clearly contact there.
I was right behind it and the fall didn't look remotely natural. I was surprised to discover later that he was actually touched at all. Can't blame the ref or lino for that one.

howhardgerrard

TIA Squad Member
Contact alone doesn't dictate it is a penalty. One of the following has to apply.

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
  • charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
  • handles the ball deliberately
  • holds an opponent
  • impedes an opponent with contact
  • bites or spits at someone
  • throws an object at the ball, opponent or match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object

Salah was kicked but I doubt anyone would see it as reckless or excessive and i honestly don't think the contact impeded him, especially as the ball was out of play before he hit the deck.

Mascot88

Admin
I agree, but the point is that the kick didn’t bring Mo down. There is no reason why a kick on his left shin would cause his right leg to flick up like that. He exaggerated the contact and threw himself down.

The problem is that this is what players have to do to force Referees to make decisions. The moral handwringing indulged in by the like of Murphy overlook that if Refs did their job properly there would be no need for players to dive.

RedYank

The only saving grace is that Spurs and Utd will need results to guarantee CL next season. They SHOULD be at least trying. If Spurs put City out of the CL this week, there will be doubts in their minds about Saturday. Its going to need a "slip" of some nature for them to drop points
While never impossible, it is much less than average for a side to beat another 3 straight. Would it help if City wins in CL, thus forcing Spurs to concentrate solely on finishing Top 4?

Of course, a draw would suffice, so beating them 3 straight is not essential.

Mascot88

Admin
While never impossible, it is much less than average for a side to beat another 3 straight. Would it help if City wins in CL, thus forcing Spurs to concentrate solely on finishing Top 4?
If Spurs had been on the receiving end of a heavy defeat in the first leg, then it’s possible they might have rested in the second, and had a good crack at City in the league.

As the league game follows the second leg, Spurs can’t prioritise one way or the other. By the time they know their CL fate, the league game is upon them.

I still think Utd is the one we have to hope for.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Contact alone doesn't dictate it is a penalty. One of the following has to apply.

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
  • charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
  • handles the ball deliberately
  • holds an opponent
  • impedes an opponent with contact
  • bites or spits at someone
  • throws an object at the ball, opponent or match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object
Salah was kicked but I doubt anyone would see it as reckless or excessive and i honestly don't think the contact impeded him, especially as the ball was out of play before he hit the deck.
Doesn't need to be reckless or excessive, just needs to be careless. About the only time a kick in the shins won't meet the 'careless' test is a 50/50 ball when both players put their legs into contact. Strictly speaking, Salah's reaction should not be relevant, but of course it is - and overselling it did not help his cause there.