• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Chelsea (EPL 14/5/19 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Matip

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Keita [off 65’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Henderson [off 77’]

Votes: 47 25.1%
  • Salah [f.cking GOAL of the season 53’, off 89’]

Votes: 75 40.1%
  • Firmino

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Mane [GOAL 50’]

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Wijnaldum [on 65’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Milner [on 77’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaqiri [on 89’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Some quick points.

1. Azpilicueta is a nasty niggly horrible player judged on yesterday. I never realised this before.

2. I think I´ved watched a different match to quite a few on here. First half we were measured, mature had it under control. The Chavs were looking to hit on the break, they had a few dangerous looking counters. I think anyone who expects us to control every match 100% obviously plays football on his play station in cheat mode. Two gilt edge chances for the Chavs after we went 2-0 apart from that nothing.

3. Sarri made himself look like a dope yesterday. ´´I thought it was a foul on Emerson but I don´t want to mention it¨, then don´t.

4. I get bored reading comments like, Oh if the Chavs had put some of those chances away it would have been different. Snore. What about if Liverpool had put some of their other chances away? Ever thought about that? Would have, could have, should have.

5. The amount of fans who make their own rules up as regards what is a peno/foul or not is ridiculous. For the record Salah could have stayed on his feet. But it was a peno 100%. What is it nowadays? I sometimes feel it´s cool to be a bit of a wimp/sensitive/ almost too obliging, I can´t quite put it into words. I´ll give an example. When I played footy with my big bro, I´d be in goal, I´d get the ball in my face, I´d start to cry and my bro would say, stop crying you big girls blouse, Ray Clemence wouldn´t cry. Nowadays it would be ´there, there, let it all out´´. Men should be men. I´m not talking about being macho, drinking, farting, burping, beating women, I´m talking about strength of character.

I hope that makes sense.
Azpil reminds me of a rodent. Argentine version of Neville

That’s all

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
Great post Maria
Also, I could never remember who the “D” was in CHAD - and then when I did I was really disappointed...
Ah Stewart... I remember him almost fondly. A a nicely skilled player for the small occasion if there ever was one...

I think part of the reason Henderson has remained a divisive player is his association with the other 3, as well as his under-whelming first season on the right wing. Those memories can be hard to shake, and coupled with the impossible task of replacing Gerard as Captain, the warts in his game where always going to be magnified.

Druss

TIA Reserve Team
Some quick points.

1. Azpilicueta is a nasty niggly horrible player judged on yesterday. I never realised this before.

2. I think I´ved watched a different match to quite a few on here. First half we were measured, mature had it under control. The Chavs were looking to hit on the break, they had a few dangerous looking counters. I think anyone who expects us to control every match 100% obviously plays football on his play station in cheat mode. Two gilt edge chances for the Chavs after we went 2-0 apart from that nothing.

3. Sarri made himself look like a dope yesterday. ´´I thought it was a foul on Emerson but I don´t want to mention it¨, then don´t.

4. I get bored reading comments like, Oh if the Chavs had put some of those chances away it would have been different. Snore. What about if Liverpool had put some of their other chances away? Ever thought about that? Would have, could have, should have.

5. The amount of fans who make their own rules up as regards what is a peno/foul or not is ridiculous. For the record Salah could have stayed on his feet. But it was a peno 100%. What is it nowadays? I sometimes feel it´s cool to be a bit of a wimp/sensitive/ almost too obliging, I can´t quite put it into words. I´ll give an example. When I played footy with my big bro, I´d be in goal, I´d get the ball in my face, I´d start to cry and my bro would say, stop crying you big girls blouse, Ray Clemence wouldn´t cry. Nowadays it would be ´there, there, let it all out´´. Men should be men. I´m not talking about being macho, drinking, farting, burping, beating women, I´m talking about strength of character.

I hope that makes sense.
To be fair to you. Having a big wet leather cassey hit you full on in the face, fucking hurts!!! It would probably still bring a tear to my eyes!

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...

I hope that makes sense.
Maybe its an age thing, but it makes sense to me anyway. I am all for equity and fairness, but there has to be a place to be partisan as well. If you make a comment in the pub about the likes of yesterdays Salah decision you hear Liverpool supporters offer the views that he went diwn easily etc, or that he was awaiting contact. SKYspeak. What the commentator says, sound knowledgeable.
I was on the Kop for the Fulham game, and a lad with his ear stuck to his phone sagely advised us that Mitrovic was not offside and our first goal should not have stood. An old boy laughed and said nice to get the odd decision but the lad with the phone was less than impressed. He didnt understand how we could be happy about a "cheat" goal.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I was on the Kop for the Fulham game, and a lad with his ear stuck to his phone sagely advised us that Mitrovic was not offside and our first goal should not have stood. An old boy laughed and said nice to get the odd decision but the lad with the phone was less than impressed. He didnt understand how we could be happy about a "cheat" goal.
Of course, the irony is that he was offside.

I had this argument with a mate who supports Fulham, which ended when I sent him the photos showing Mitrovic in a clearly offside position.

Chrenyan

This is all insane. Nothing comes close. Everyone has that look in their eye.

Whatsapp and messaging is off the scale. Words don’t do it justice.

Well it ain’t happening - as that helps keep my sanity. But I know that it actually, really is.
When it's all over we will look back at posts like this and the feeling they represent(ed) and say it was worth it just for the ride.

Barry O'Connor

It really doesn't matter how Salah falls. If hes kicked hes kicked.' I was going to arrest you for shooting that guy in the head but I didn't like the way he fell'.
It doesn't matter. Did Salah get a kick? Yes. Penalty all day long. Its different to a player throwing his leg into a defender or dragging his leg over a keeper. He was kicked and it's a penalty.

FGred

I didnt really want to comment on Luiz challenge on Salah as it would be seen as my default position. But after some recent comments I am compelled to.
It was a penalty. No doubt about it, contact made, penalty.
The pundits like Murphy dont go on if Sterling or Kane get clipped like this, but the narrative is now that Salah is a diver.
Ladt 2 PL games, two incorrect decisions with penalties, Keita and Salah.
Winning the hard way
I agree they never acknowledge when Mo stays on his feet after getting tugged and kicked repeatedly hence putting him off scoring goals and Murphy is a Fulham and Spuds fan anyway

FGred

Some quick points.

I hope that makes sense.
With those ifs we still would have won 7:2

jaffod

Have to say, one of the most infuriating comments these pundits make these days is "There was contact, but not enough"
I'd happily watch all football without pundits spouting their guff pre match, post match and at half time.
That's exactly what I do. switch on at KO, turn over at HT and switch off at FT. Never listen to anything any of them say. I don't feel I'm missing anything.

[email protected]

That's exactly what I do. switch on at KO, turn over at HT and switch off at FT. Never listen to anything any of them say. I don't feel I'm missing anything.
Exactly the same. I go onto the match thread an hour before kickoff to see the lineups and time my tuning to pretty much the crossing over to commentary. Switch off exactly half time as the whistle blows, then a little after full time to take in the scenes and switch off as it goes to studio. I do not watch prematch build up, HT analysis, Full time analysis, Football Today, watch or go onto SKY or any other BS around football except the occasional foray onto the BBC football page. The only time I see any other outlet now is if it is posted on here. Tell you what, has made my football experience so much better. Aside from the angst of our making, I am rarely left in a seething fume as a general state of being footballing wise anymore.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
The level of derision aimed at pundits is entirely justified, the overall standard is abysmal. The majority of them just repeat tired old cliches, they don't do any research, they have no real insight to offer and they go on as if the world is only made up of black and white . You then have the likes of Paul Ince who is without question the most inarticulate motherfucker to ever take a step on this planet. Neville and Carragher are universally liked because they treat the job seriously, they do more than just turn up at the studio and they both offer some original thought. TV studios should demand better from the rest but they continue to reward this rubbish.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I've only recorded the second half of the match to watch it over and over again. We came off the block wanting to push them back and win the ball further up the pitch to hurt them. It shows how compact we were when we don't have the ball, we just squeezed Chelsea players to a corner knowing if they float the ball over we have two giants at the back and a towering figure of Fabinho waiting for it. Great tactic from Klopp as they don't have any tall players to win those high lobs in the attacking front.

Defensively though, after they switched Hazard to the left side and played Higuain in the middle, they looked far more dangerous. It is also because Keita doesn't have that defensive awareness in his game, maybe not yet, but it shows. A good 5 minutes they were on top of us, and kept having a good spell on their left attacking side. Klopp then switched Wijnaldum to assist Alexander-Arnold after taking off Henderson, and the entire game changed. We become far more composed since Robertson doesn't really need much help with Willian.

The narratives about Klopp not knowing how to change things up are out the window in this match. If we can keep these same core players and build on it, even if we don't win the title this season, we will be pushing for it hard come next season.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
Rivalries aside. Chelsea as a club are trying to redeem themselves with this touching gesture and the fans were respectful today. Sometimes enemies have to come in peace and respect outside the 90 minutes on the pitch.

You’ve got to give the Chelsea fans credit for this. I was worried they would sing during the minutes silence but didn’t hear a single shout on the telly. Well done (unless the tv producers muted it)

[email protected]

You’ve got to give the Chelsea fans credit for this. I was worried they would sing during the minutes silence but didn’t hear a single shout on the telly. Well done (unless the tv producers muted it)
Heard a few of these comments. Not being disparaging of the sentiment from our fans but its surely an indicator of the pretty febrile tribalism and knuckle dragging prevalent around certain fan bases that they should be applauded for doing something that they should reasonably be expected to do anyways. 'No racist videos from Chelsea this week, right decent of them...'

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
Heard a few of these comments. Not being disparaging of the sentiment from our fans but its surely an indicator of the pretty febrile tribalism and knuckle dragging prevalent around certain fan bases that they should be applauded for doing something that they should reasonably be expected to do anyways. 'No racist videos from Chelsea this week, right decent of them...'
I see your point but what’s the alternative. The actions of three pissed up wankers in a bar are more important than the respect shown by the 5,000 plus in the away end ? I think they behaved decently on the day and should be given credit. Not sure the mancs would have bought a wreath or stayed silent.

[email protected]

I see your point but what’s the alternative. The actions of three pissed up wankers in a bar are more important than the respect shown by the 5,000 plus in the away end ? I think they behaved decently on the day and should be given credit. Not sure the mancs would have bought a wreath or stayed silent.
Possibly. Personally think they knew they were under the spotlight what with anti-semitism, racist videos amd hell, even racist abuse amongst their own fans and all in the same season, even, that more overt bad behaviour on such a notable occasion is likely to make sentiment really turn against them. They behaved, great. Doesn't make them deserving of a gold star for simply doing the decent thing they should be doing anyway. I think we'll agree to disagree on this one :-)

[email protected]

Being drunk just brings the worst out in you but it has to be in you to be brought out.
A very observant young man once told me that being drunk doesn't change someone. It simply releases the social inhibitions we have to allow the real person to come out. Had to have another drink after, just to mull that over like.

jaffod

Absolutely spot on. Well done Chelsea fans for displaying the absolute minimum amount of dignity. Oh, and it didn't stop them singing 'always the victim' after the 2nd goal.