Post match: Liverpool v Chelsea (EPL 14/5/19 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Matip

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Keita [off 65’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Henderson [off 77’]

Votes: 47 25.1%
  • Salah [f.cking GOAL of the season 53’, off 89’]

Votes: 75 40.1%
  • Firmino

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Mane [GOAL 50’]

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Wijnaldum [on 65’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Milner [on 77’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaqiri [on 89’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Commando

Absolutely spot on. Well done Chelsea fans for displaying the absolute minimum amount of dignity. Oh, and it didn't stop them singing 'always the victim' after the 2nd goal.
I can honestly say that from where I was in U8 of the Main stand, I could only hear the Chelsea fans on a couple of occasions. When the crowd were having a well earned breather and getting ready for their next effort, I heard them sing their Chewsea, Chewsea song.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
If Spurs had been on the receiving end of a heavy defeat in the first leg, then it’s possible they might have rested in the second, and had a good crack at City in the league.

As the league game follows the second leg, Spurs can’t prioritise one way or the other. By the time they know their CL fate, the league game is upon them.

I still think Utd is the one we have to hope for.
I think spurs have to prioritise both the games against city.
The margins are very thin and 2 losses in the league could screw up anyone's chance for top 4.
With their new stadium, it will be even more important that they finish top 4, and that is why I feel spurs will focus more on the league.
Having said that, it good isn't it, to see United in this position, they can't afford to drop points and at the same time see either city or Liverpool win. Good times.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
I must say Matip has been world class for us.
VVD just brings the best out of everyone.
And alisson, what a crucial save that was. Fine margins, even for the first attempt from Hazard, alisson made himself big.
Just feel that if we do score these days, we have grit and determination to keep a clean sheet.

jredp

Some quick points.

1. Azpilicueta is a nasty niggly horrible player judged on yesterday. I never realised this before.

2. I think I´ved watched a different match to quite a few on here. First half we were measured, mature had it under control. The Chavs were looking to hit on the break, they had a few dangerous looking counters. I think anyone who expects us to control every match 100% obviously plays football on his play station in cheat mode. Two gilt edge chances for the Chavs after we went 2-0 apart from that nothing.

3. Sarri made himself look like a dope yesterday. ´´I thought it was a foul on Emerson but I don´t want to mention it¨, then don´t.

4. I get bored reading comments like, Oh if the Chavs had put some of those chances away it would have been different. Snore. What about if Liverpool had put some of their other chances away? Ever thought about that? Would have, could have, should have.

5. The amount of fans who make their own rules up as regards what is a peno/foul or not is ridiculous. For the record Salah could have stayed on his feet. But it was a peno 100%. What is it nowadays? I sometimes feel it´s cool to be a bit of a wimp/sensitive/ almost too obliging, I can´t quite put it into words. I´ll give an example. When I played footy with my big bro, I´d be in goal, I´d get the ball in my face, I´d start to cry and my bro would say, stop crying you big girls blouse, Ray Clemence wouldn´t cry. Nowadays it would be ´there, there, let it all out´´. Men should be men. I´m not talking about being macho, drinking, farting, burping, beating women, I´m talking about strength of character.

I hope that makes sense.

them days are gone, because we now are at the extreme of over protecting players. Players nowadays would be considered 'pansies ' during them bygone days. I, like everyone else want to see a good game with skillful players thriving, but unfortunately a lot of players have also secretly taken acting lessons from professional conmen. What is of no help is that, the coaches/managers encourage cheating, as if it's the norm and society likes it. It is one, if not, the reason VAR was developed.
(I have my roserose-tinted glasses on) Our players don't seem to easily succumb in this kind of behavior, (cheating)and when they do, it's because they feel the referee has or does not want to see, the amount of physical abuse being done to them (players) during a game.
A final point, I don't think players of today can understand or interpret the meaning of "strength of character ".

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
What worries me is united have 4 games in 10 days....and they’re shit.
Neville wants United to rest players v City.
if united lose to Everton I can seem them giving up on top 4 if the others pick up points.
Unfortunately I cant see City coming up against a team who are motivated enough to beat them.
Would like City/spurs to go to extra time and then they lose on penalties.

TheSweetSilverSong

Simply incredible the way we came through this game! Never let any doubt creep in, never let it... (ahem, never mind)

And to follow up on my 2 points I've been looking at in this last couple of months:

1) There was a point where each of the two title challengers had 3 top 6 games to play in front of them - we had Utd, Spurs and Chelsea, while City had Chelsea, Spurs and Utd. At that point, we were ahead in the table, same number of games played.
And I thought at that moment that the result vs these teams would prove to be crucial. Even if not decisive, definitely crucial. How many points out of 9 would each of the two teams earn/lose?
And it started with us facing Utd and City facing Chelsea, and we drew the game, and City blew Chelsea apart (alas! - Chelsea only put the expected resistance in the other tie, at the League cup final, and I hope it won't prove to be the case with Spurs now as well), and soon we lost the table lead. And everyone thought that we blew up the league.
But while we started with 1 out of 3 and City started with 3 out of 3, we now have won the other two and finished our top6 games (counting from that point on) with 7 out of 9, while City may still have 3 out of 3 but have the other 2 games to play. If they beat our 7 out of 9, then they'll indeed have the edge. Until then though, it's a false edge, as we've played more of those top6 games. Even if they equal our 7 out of 9, we're on top (all other non top6 remaining games aside), just like it was before our Utd game.
And if they don't, it is up to us to equal our record this season of 9 straight wins. Something we've already done this season. And with the most difficult games out of the way. That's not to say that there will be any easy games (not unless we turn them into easy ones). Just that it's more doable than reaching a 14 games winning streak.

2) The win streaks. I said at some point that for City to win all their remaining games, they'd have to win 14 in a row (something they haven't done this season yet, and something I can't remember any Champions doing in their run-in). Currently, they have already surpassed their record of 7 for this season, being on their 9th straight victory. Which is already a feat. But 14? If they do it, well done, nothing to say about that, credit to them. But they haven't just yet.

But all that just as a parenthesis to a great performance, a great win and a great sign of strength and belief. Just like Klopp said: Forget what City is doing, or anyone else, and just try to win every next game, our very next first, then focus on winning the one after that. See where it brings us in the end. If that's enough to be Champions for this season (worth mentioning than in many other previous seasons we'd be champions with this many points), we'll be ecstatic! Over the moon! And so deserved! And if not, then we'll be proud! For a fantastic season! For collecting the most points in our Premiere League History. For being a world class team, up there with the very best in the world, able to beat anyone and compete with anyone for trophies. And for playing quality football and making us believe not just for now, but for years to come!

Last edited: