• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool v Chelsea (EPL 22/7/20 8.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold [GOAL 37’]

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Gomez

• Van Dijk

• Robertson

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Wijnaldum [GOAL 43’, off 66’]

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • Keita [GOAL 22’, off 66’]

Votes: 58 59.8%
  • Salah [off 79’]

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Firmino [GOAL 54’, off 87’]

Votes: 28 28.9%
  • Mane [off 87’]

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Milner [on 66’]

• Jones [on 66’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 79’, GOAL 84’]

• Minamino [on 87’]

• Origi [on 87’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

macca1970

The fifth goal:

https://streamja.com/zNE6M

This 5th goal is beautiful. Chelsea recovering to 4-3. 84th minute. Chelsea have a freekick, and they swing it in.

Andy gets his head to the Chelsea freekick it to knock it away to TAA, who heads it simply to Curtis, who passes it on to Mane. Andy is in no mood to stand around and has his afterburners on to receive the Mane pass. Sees Jorginho and knocks the ball past him. Jorginho attempts to tactical foul Andy with a shoulder charge. Andy brushes him off and continues.

Delivers a precise ball with no elevation, which Curtis skips over, into the Ox who makes no mistake. Typical Andy never give up attitude play.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
The fifth goal:

This 5th goal is beautiful. Chelsea recovering to 4-3. 84th minute. Chelsea have a freekick, and they swing it in.

Andy gets his head to the Chelsea freekick it to knock it away to TAA, who heads it simply to Curtis, who passes it on to Mane. Andy is in no mood to stand around and has his afterburners on to receive the Mane pass. Sees Jorginho and knocks the ball past him. Jorginho attempts to tactical foul Andy with a shoulder charge. Andy brushes him off and continues.

Delivers a precise ball with no elevation, which Curtis skips over, into the Ox who makes no mistake. Typical Andy never give up attitude play.
you are the best colour commentator sir!

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
The fifth goal:

the bolded is technically correct - but doesn't capture the brilliance of that particular pass - young Jones is wise beyond his years

nikz200

I don’t think Lampard has any bloody right to call any of our players arrogant. He thinks he is Jose mourinho and Alex Ferguson after one season in charge of Chelsea.

Other than winning the league I am so damn happy we smashed Chelsea in this game cause I can’t stand them or their pompous manager.

Incognito

The Normal One
He should stay in his lane. He's been given a free ride by his fans and board till now. This is a club that's sacked Mourinho twice, and let go managers like conte and sarri after winning trophies.. he's achieved nothing till now. Getting your team to play attacking football without any focus on defense isn't what good managers are known for. Brenda could do that ffs.. should be focusing on his own club than talking about us.

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
still soaking in the euphoria and it feels absolutely out of this world!
congrats to Herr Klopp, players, staff, FSG, SUPPORTERS, and everyone connected with the club.
maybe going out here on a limb, but who would ever want to do drugs to get high, This feeling goes way beyond that and more. Haha, now I know what it feels like to be extraterrestrial !

Sweeting

I don’t think Lampard has any bloody right to call any of our players arrogant. He thinks he is Jose mourinho and Alex Ferguson after one season in charge of Chelsea.

Other than winning the league I am so damn happy we smashed Chelsea in this game cause I can’t stand them or their pompous manager.
Man who is close friends with John Terry and Jose Mourinho tells other people not to be arrogant.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
We really do like scoring rockets against the chavs, don't we? 5 goals, each one a belter.

Then the main course finally arrived: the coronation. Considering the circumstances, it probably couldn't be done any better. And even though the title was secured weeks ago, it still had pretty of emotion and pure joy. This team's camaraderie is special, this team from the manager and the coaches to the latest Academy graduate is special.

Watching them celebrating will never get old.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Woohoo, first day after the 30-years wait is over. Let's face it, the ceremony yesterday was shit without the fans, but the lads did the most out of these circumstances and obviously enjoyed the occasion. I'm a bit wobbly today, raised one or two glasses too much, but I don't care, if not yesterday night, then when?

Regarding the game: I was really, really impressed. Gegenpressing at it's best against a very good team to be fair. They might have their flaws in defence, but are very dangerous and well-organised when they go on the attack.

Paradoxally, it played out in our favour that we had to face a good team. That brought the best out of our lads again, after they showed the tendency to dose off against the two previous teams, which were largely, largely inferior to them. Complacency set in, and errors were made. But this match brought the best out of our lads again. They were really up for it, and looked as if they also wanted to make amends for the previous defeat.

Four of the five goals were magnificent:
  • Keita's 20-yards scorcher first. The lad is on fire right now, and a strong candidate for MoM imo, for everything he did in midfield during that game.
  • Trent's genius free-kick over the wall and well out of Kepa's reach. What can you say, the boy is a genius. I haven't seen any full back at his talent level since Maldini, and I don't think that this is a vain comparison, the two players have several things in common imo.
  • then, Gini fired in from short distance after a tussle in Chelsea's box. The only goal with less artistic value. (did anyone else noticing: he didn't celebrate his goal... maybe he expected it to be ruled out?)
  • that wonderful cross from Trent on Bobby's head for his first goal of the season at Anfield. What a relief that must be for Bobby! That's the duck put well behind him, just in time ahead of the new season. It was clearly weighing on his mind since some time.
  • and then, the cherry on the cake, with Robbo breaking a gut to launch a high-octane counter, make a perfect cross for Ox to finish it perfectly.
A very enjoyable game!

To be fair with him, he was asked about an incident between him and our bench during the match. Emotions were running high, and a few ill-advised words may have been launched towards him from our bench. It's no big deal, and he comes across as fair in his interview otherwise.

Last edited:

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
For all you statisticians out there, last night's win means we have equalled the Premier League record for most home points earned in a season. The three points takes us to 55, matching the points total of the chavs in 2005-06, manure in 2010-11 and mancheater citeh in 2011-12.

For the first time in the club's history we have remained undefeated at Anfield in three consecutive league seasons.

We have scored more than 50 goals at home for the second successive season – a feat not achieved since 1983-84.

We have become only the fourth team to win more than 30 league games in a season.

Finally, Mo still only needs one goal to become the first Liverpool player since Roger Hunt in 1965-66, and only the fourth in Reds history, to register 20 league goals in three successive campaigns. Sadly last night he left his shooting books back in the hotel. Better luck against the barcodes.

Noo Noo

For all you statisticians out there, last night's win means we have equalled the Premier League record for most home points earned in a season. The three points takes us to 55, matching the points total of the chavs in 2005-06, manure in 2010-11 and mancheater citeh in 2011-12.

For the first time in the club's history we have remained undefeated at Anfield in three consecutive league seasons.

We have scored more than 50 goals at home for the second successive season – a feat not achieved since 1983-84.

We have become only the fourth team to win more than 30 league games in a season.

Finally, Mo still only needs one goal to become the first Liverpool player since Roger Hunt in 1965-66, and only the fourth in Reds history, to register 20 league goals in three successive campaigns. Sadly last night he left his shooting books back in the hotel. Better luck against the barcodes.
Where is @i_still_miss_fowler when you need him?

nikz200

Thats all for show and its a player like Sadio Mane who he has to show respect for In public. That moron has always been a tosser , he is from the same Chelsea team that was used to dominating the league and having their way and now they see us having won the league and he wants to have a go at our bench. I don’t buy a word that guy says and quite frankly I hope he and his Chelsea bunch of merry idiots get fcked

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
I could talk about the match and how gomez and VVDs positioning was a bit off.

Could talk about how the introduction of Pulisic almost cost us a win today.

Could talk about Minamino and stuff like that.

But i don't think i need to or want to

Because we are Champions of England

And this is the only video that Really matters right now

Jaysus, how pale is Robbo? He's a wonderful pale blue. He'd need two weeks in Benidorm to get to a shade of white.

Sweeting

Personally I'd say to the regulars that their season is over now, go on holiday, be with your families etc. Let the squad players get 90 minutes and a chance to impress against Newcastle. None of the first teamers are realistically going to be mentally switched on anyway and they deserve an early holiday.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Personally I'd say to the regulars that their season is over now, go on holiday, be with your families etc. Let the squad players get 90 minutes and a chance to impress against Newcastle. None of the first teamers are realistically going to be mentally switched on anyway and they deserve an early holiday.
Absolutely, can only agree with this. The squaddies also deserve a run-out, as they were instrumental at times to keep our run going.