• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Chelsea (Super Cup 14/8/19 8pm

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Milner

• Henderson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain

• Mane

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Firmino (on 45')

Votes: 60 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
1. Good result, mediocre performance. Fantastic to have another trophy.

2. If VAR doesn't stop cheats getting penalties, then it's a waste of time. Whatever the gender the referee !

3. Karma that the cheat missed the penalty in the shoot out.
remember.. if it wasn't for VAR we might of lost the match actually. Did you forget about the Pulisic goal they called back? that most likely would of been a good goal if no VAR.... I wouldn't let one weak penalty call using VAR alter your opinion of it... you need to see the positive first. like I said.. if it wasn't for VAR we probably would of lost this match

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
remember.. if it wasn't for VAR we might of lost the match actually. Did you forget about the Pulisic goal they called back? that most likely would of been a good goal if no VAR.... I wouldn't let one weak penalty call using VAR alter your opinion of it... you need to see the positive first. like I said.. if it wasn't for VAR we probably would of lost this match
I thought Pulisic was flagged offside anyway? VAR just confirmed it as a correct decision, no?

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
you are right Kopstar. the flag didn't go up but that's bc they were instructed to keep it down and let it play out. so yes it was flagged offside but they didn't put the flag up . Sorry for the confusion... the broadcast i was watching that did not make that clear as I see now.

RodM

I think I have warmed somewhat to this match after being so buggeringly tired after the penalties last night.

When I was a kid I used to read football comics that featured highly unlikely sporting achievements: Roy of the Rovers and the like.

Well Adrian is our Roy. An out of work goalie picked by the European champions as cover, brought in after a freak injury to the main keeper and making the crucial save to win a European trophy in his first week.

OK. Roy of the Rovers was a centre forward. He is more of our Billy the Fish.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
As glad as I am that Abraham missed after his dive, it's ridiculous and abhorrent that his own fans are racially abusing him for it.

Still, I've come to expect as much from Chelsea.
It's also horrible how predictable it's become and how much of a spectacle it now is for some people. There were seemingly people searching twitter for Tammy | Abraham | N***** | C*nt, and encouraging others to do the same, as soon as he missed the penalty.

State of these c.nts.

FGred

Great to win on penalties, would have been absolutely devastating to miss on silverware for the 2nd time in a few weeks on penalties, especially since I felt we were the better side overall in both games.
Of the two Cups, we've won the one I wanted the most, so overall very happy with that!

My MOTM Adrian for super saves in the game and the heroic crucial last pen save, but Mane up there as well in my book with his great game and two goals, especially the 2nd - starting with the steal and the one-two with Bobby, and what a classy finish by him there, absolute monster of a goal!
Third vote and not by any means least, Bobby! What a difference once he stepped in for the second half, we were immediately dangerous and he influenced the game so much! He is in beast form and we'll need him to keep it! Long may it last!
Salah very good, but hope his finish will improve, does some great stuff and the final touch goes wrong there, but I'm hoping it will come any time now...Matip had a great game I thought, some crucial interventions there in defence time and time again in the game.
The only area I felt was not so good was midfield. Hope Keita is fit soon, and that Ox gets to the expected form with games without costing us. Wijnaldum looked better when subbed in than he was vs Norwich, which is very important.

Klopp must be falling more and more in love with Liverpool, he's won his first Champions League with us, and now his first European Super Cup too! You could see how much it meant to him!

And also hugely important that the trophy brings us back top overall, 1 past Utd with 43! Massive tie breaker trophy that!

Istanbul seems like a destiny venue for us! We just win there!

Quite simply, a fantastic result! I'm over the moon!!!
In the post match interview he was reminded that he was the 1st and only German manager to win the Supercup

FGred

I swear Norwich did the same with one of their small full backs. Trying to block his run and not going man to man with your biggest defender against him is going to prove fatal for a lot of sides this year if that’s the way they set up.
That’s probably why he didn’t have to jump to score with that header against the canaries

FGred

Exactly, she made three major mistakes (clear handball after 5 minutes, the wrongful penalty was given for a dive and Adian was clearly of his line with Chelsea's 5th penalty) non were corrected by VAR.

BTW, with three major mistakes, you don't have a really good game in my book.
Sorry to correct you but when they changed the rules for penalties it was only for penalties given during the game but the rule would not apply to penalty shootouts otherwise both teams would still be taking them this morning

FGred

I’m ok with the “wait until player touches ball” before flagging but in case of Pulisic he ran 60 yards, went round 1, smacked it in bottom corner, ball hits net, flag goes up. Ridiculous.

He should’ve been flagged the moment he touched the ball. I don’t get the point in allowing play to continue for 30 secs then flag.
I agree the previous rule if the Lino raises his flag for offside if the player carried on and scored he would have seen yellow the other stupid thing with the new offside rules is that in the papers today the narrative was that chelsea were denied two goals by VAR

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
As glad as I am that Abraham missed after his dive, it's ridiculous and abhorrent that his own fans are racially abusing him for it.

Still, I've come to expect as much from Chelsea.
Are they? That is a disgrace.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Sorry to correct you but when they changed the rules for penalties it was only for penalties given during the game but the rule would not apply to penalty shootouts otherwise both teams would still be taking them this morning
How ridiculous but thanks, two major cockups than.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Are they? That is a disgrace.
It does seem to be the case reading the article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49359371

..."We are disgusted with the abhorrent posts we have seen on social media," said a club spokesman.
"Chelsea FC finds all forms of discriminatory behaviour unacceptable. It has no place at this club and where there is clear evidence of Chelsea season ticket holders or members involved in such behaviour, we will take the strongest possible action against them.'...

igor_piss_can

Yeah,also the energy used to sprint and recover a position only to see afterwards it's off side must be frustrating.
I was thinking this myself. Surely if they carry on with this it'll only be a matter of time before a defender pulls a muscle or worse trying to slide in and prevent a goal that wouldn't have counted anyway. Ridiculous rule

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I was thinking this myself. Surely if they carry on with this it'll only be a matter of time before a defender pulls a muscle or worse trying to slide in and prevent a goal that wouldn't have counted anyway. Ridiculous rule
I can kind of see how it looked reasonable on paper seeing the rationale behind it (we'd be up in arms if we were through on goal, for it to be pulled back for a VAR review only to find it was onside and get a free kick instead of potentially having scored), but agree that in practice it doesn't really work and something like injury will eventually happen because of it. Needs a rework.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
I can kind of see how it looked reasonable on paper seeing the rationale behind it (we'd be up in arms if we were through on goal, for it to be pulled back for a VAR review only to find it was onside and get a free kick instead of potentially having scored), but agree that in practice it doesn't really work and something like injury will eventually happen because of it. Needs a rework.
This is why I think it should revert back to the old system but allow each team to contest a number of decisions per match. Maybe 2 in each half or 3 over the whole match. Then you are relying the ref first and foremost, but if you genuinely think they got it wrong there is a chance for appeal.

(though i guess that system still might not have helped us much with the penalty and that would be another reason for complaint)

Last edited:

Incognito

The Normal One
This is why I think it should revert back to the old system but allow each team to contest a number of decisions per match. Maybe 2 in each half or 3 over the whole match. Then you are relying the ref first amd foremost, but if you genuinely think they got it wrong there is a chance for appeal.

(though i guess that system still might not have helped us much with the penalty and that would be another reason for complaint)
The issue I see with that is it still doesn't resolve the case of being wrongly flagged offside and hence the game anyways stopped at that time.

There is no resolution to it other than relying on allowing the game to continue and then looking back on it. Or a technology so advanced that immediately in real time detects offside and flashes it in a way visible to players to not make that run/ tackle (far fetched)