• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Chelsea (Super Cup 14/8/19 8pm

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Milner

• Henderson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain

• Mane

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Firmino (on 45')

Votes: 60 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Possibly a cultural reference too far!

Billy the Fish was a spoof comic strip that appeared in Viz comic. It poked fun at Roy of the Rovers type comics.

Billy was the star goalkeeper who was half man, half haddock.
I think given his avatar Kopstar is aware of the character, I think it's more like my humorous (in my own head at least) responses whenever St Igor gets mentioned in this parish ;)

Limiescouse

Exactly, she made three major mistakes (clear handball after 5 minutes, the wrongful penalty was given for a dive and Adian was clearly of his line with Chelsea's 5th penalty) non were corrected by VAR.

BTW, with three major mistakes, you don't have a really good game in my book.
VAR is not supposed to correct the issue with the keeper on pens. As for the second, how bad a mistake can it be if VAR could not justify overturning it?

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
glad we won the shoot out! what an amazing start for Adrian! he made some good saves and he appears to be a better fit than Simon(who made his debut for Club Brugges last Saturday with a 2-0 win, plus they have qualified for the group stages of the Champions League).

our performance improved greatly when Bobby came on. as for the Chelsea pen I thought it was soft!

onto Southampton.

Red Submarine

SIX, and counting.
Possibly a cultural reference too far!

Billy the Fish was a spoof comic strip that appeared in Viz comic. It poked fun at Roy of the Rovers type comics.

Billy was the star goalkeeper who was half man, half haddock.
I worked on cruise ships in my youth and one of my friends, an American, saw me pissing myself reading Viz one evening. He asked to have a look and five minutes later he gave it me back and said "I don't get it? It's just some guy with massive balls?". lollollol

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
Full on Homer Simpson “Mmmmmmmmmm.. spirit fingers.... drool” at the prospect of fish fingers filled with vodka.
Weird combination, but whatever floats your boat.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
You couldn’t make this up! Adrian is a doubt for the Southampton game because some tosser ran on the pitch in Istanbul, celebrating and collided with him!! Adrian has a swollen ankle because of this dickhead! I hope the idiot is sweltering in a Turkish cell somewhere.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
You couldn’t make this up! Adrian is a doubt for the Southampton game because some tosser ran on the pitch in Istanbul, celebrating and collided with him!! Adrian has a swollen ankle because of this dickhead! I hope the idiot is sweltering in a Turkish cell somewhere.
This deserves to be in the breaking news thread ;)

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Not my sort of film, but here you go:
Thank you LR, I was wondering. :well done:

With regards to the match tomorrow. I hope we win, however, if we get a draw, I will be happy and it is not the end of the world. It is just the way the football schedule is. Our lads are not machines, they are human. I would rather we have no freak injuries to all our remaining players and hope that our injured players recover and come back quickly.

Last edited:

yiannos33

Believe
This is why I think it should revert back to the old system but allow each team to contest a number of decisions per match. Maybe 2 in each half or 3 over the whole match. Then you are relying the ref first and foremost, but if you genuinely think they got it wrong there is a chance for appeal.

(though i guess that system still might not have helped us much with the penalty and that would be another reason for complaint)
Same as NFL rules. I guess we can copy them as they had it for a long time now,and are way better at it.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
The issue I see with that is it still doesn't resolve the case of being wrongly flagged offside and hence the game anyways stopped at that time.

There is no resolution to it other than relying on allowing the game to continue and then looking back on it. Or a technology so advanced that immediately in real time detects offside and flashes it in a way visible to players to not make that run/ tackle (far fetched)
I think the solution is to stop thinking that VAR can solve every officiating problem on the pitch.

I want to see the linesman put his flag up and give offside if he thinks it’s offside. Otherwise, as others have said, you’re going to end up with a player injured chasing an attacker who should have been called off.

If VAR can’t help with that one, so be it.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I think the solution is to stop thinking that VAR can solve every officiating problem on the pitch.

I want to see the linesman put his flag up and give offside if he thinks it’s offside. Otherwise, as others have said, you’re going to end up with a player injured chasing an attacker who should have been called off.

Some of the offside decisions were immediately obvious, like a clear yard or more offside, yet no flag and players given no choice but to play to the whistle. I can't see any reason why the old rule shouldn't apply for cases where the decision is so clear, and if it's marginal and there's any doubt in the lino's mind they don't flag and VAR is used to rule on it after the action has been played out.

It wouldn't be a perfect solution, but would be an immediate improvement over the situation we saw the other night.

Commando

Ad-free Member
I think that Turkey would be a good shout for where that somewhere is.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member

UEFA's rationale behind its implementation of VAR in relation to offside, appears to be that the correct outcome is always assured, even if the delay in reaching a decision might upset the rhythm of the game.

If a goal is scored from an offside position the goal is disallowed; if it transpires the attacking player was onside, then the goal stands.

The alternative, applying VAR retrospectively, is slightly biased in favour of the defending team. For example, if the assistant referee incorrectly flags for offside the game is stopped, and the attacking team is denied a perfectly legitimate goal scoring opportunity. Retrospective VAR affords no remedy for the attacking side.

That appears to be the only benefit from UEFA's approach.

There are however a number of flaws with UEFA's methodology. As has already been mentioned, a player might get unnecessarily injured attempting to stop a goal scored from an obvious offside position. However, perhaps more significantly, UEFA goes against the spirit and purpose of VAR which is to correct clear and obvious errors, not to entirely remove the match officials from the decision making process. In effect the UEFA methodology renders the assistant referee redundant when it comes to offside decisions.

In my opinion, UEFA is addressing the symptom, and not the underlying problem. If assistant referees cannot be trusted to get the offside decision right, then the answer is not to remove them from the equation, but to change the offside law so that it becomes easier for the assistant referees to apply and adjudge correctly.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Only just watched this, and have to say we were very fortunate to win it.

Makes victory all the sweeter over that horrible bunch.