• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Chelsea (Super Cup 14/8/19 8pm

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Milner

• Henderson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain

• Mane

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Firmino (on 45')

Votes: 60 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Commando

Ad-free Member
I think what we need to avoid is allowing VAR to change the way the game is played. If that Pulisic goal was allowed to go on because the lino didnt think it was offside then VAR did well. If it was allowed to go on because the lino wanted to flag but cannot because it was close and so has to let the move play out to be reviewed by VAR later then football has become an absurdity.
The lineswoman put her flag up as soon as Pulisic scored. She knew he was offside. But under the new rules, she's told not to flag. It's ridiculous.

redalways

TIA Regular
The lineswoman put her flag up as soon as Pulisic scored. She knew he was offside. But under the new rules, she's told not to flag. It's ridiculous.
Yet how often do we see goals wrongly disallowed for offside because of the linesmen? I'm very curious why there's so much opposition towards VAR, as opposed to the sentiment that VAR has a lot that can be done to improve it. The implementation that they currently have is no doubt imperfect, with examples given in this very game via the dive that was not correctly overruled, but implementing a coherent revamp of the refereeing system was always going to be hard, with questions of how to supplement the decision-making of the officials on the field, without undermining the central authority that the referee is supposed to be.

I'd rather it be harsh on defenders than let marginal offsides go the wrong way.