• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Chelsea (Super Cup 14/8/19 8pm

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Milner

• Henderson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain

• Mane

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Firmino (on 45')

Votes: 60 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red over the water

My tuppence worth on the ref is that she had a good game. She let it flow and got most decisions right. The early handball falls into ‘seen them given sometimes’ but far short of stonewall penalty, so no complaints from me. She did miss a couple of clear throws that involved Robbo, but I accept that the assistant on the line is the first port of call there. On one occasion we were breaking and the ref was a good 10-15 yards behind the play.

I was, perhaps unfairly, watching with a hyper critical eye to see how she would do, and my view is she had a good game, certainly better than many male refs we’ve had.

If this is how the game is evolving I’m OK with that. It should be about your competence, not your gender, and her competence was good.

Noo Noo

Does any referee manage a game perfectly?

Hardly ever I would say but the only stand out thing from me based on what I saw last night (which wasn't the full match, I concede) was allowing the game to continue despite an offside call. That is clearly not anything that is against the referee's performance at all. More the ruling is, yet again screwed up.

It should be that if offside the flag is raised and the referee allows play to continue for as long as necessary (or otherwise)

Red over the water

Yep, lots of us are calling for the flag rule to be amended. The biggest problem I see is the possibility of injury, with a defender racing back and stretching to block a shot... when the whole thing shouldn’t have advanced to that point int he first place.

Show me the Mane

Brilliant to add the Super Cup to the CL
Justice that Tammy missed the penalty
after his dive in extra time
Matip was very good last night
I'm sure Klopp will sort it but we seem to be conceding more chances in games than last season, hopefully its a case of early season rust.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
I’m ok with the “wait until player touches ball” before flagging but in case of Pulisic he ran 60 yards, went round 1, smacked it in bottom corner, ball hits net, flag goes up. Ridiculous.

He should’ve been flagged the moment he touched the ball. I don’t get the point in allowing play to continue for 30 secs then flag.
What happens if VAR shows that a player wasn't actually offside and overrules (clear and obvious) but the player had been flagged and so stopped? What if the attacking player sees the flag and continues to play but the keeper saw the flag and stopped and the ball goes into the back of the net and then it is overruled by VAR as a fair goal?

The only way to allow VAR to overrule a player incorrectly called offside is to allow play to continue. Now I guess you could make the rule that only lines(wo)men missing an offside call can be overruled by VAR and not a lines(wo)man making an incorrect offside, but how is that fixing the issue? imo most mistakes on offsides are when they are called when they shouldn't be. Making VAR work without interrupting free flow of play is not something that has an obvious solution.

scouseheadross

Septical
Good game, very competitive. Who are we to say whether the Cup mattered or not? Players showed what it meant.

Shame it went to extra time. Poor Gomez on his knees by the end. Milner was hacked off with himself when subbed and Ox would find that tough as well but plenty of time ahead of him to get up to speed.

No idea who is going to be fit to play Sat.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Good game, very competitive. Who are we to say whether the Cup mattered or not? Players showed what it meant.

Shame it went to extra time. Poor Gomez on his knees by the end. Milner was hacked off with himself when subbed and Ox would find that tough as well but plenty of time ahead of him to get up to speed.

No idea who is going to be fit to play Sat.
We have enough fresh legs for Southampton (Lovren), TAA, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Shaqiri, Firmino and Origi.

At this stage of the season i would say yesterdays competitive game + extra time is a good thing for us. Look at it as if it was the final game of preseason. Concentration, spirit, sharpness all on the highest level now.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
I’m ok with the “wait until player touches ball” before flagging but in case of Pulisic he ran 60 yards, went round 1, smacked it in bottom corner, ball hits net, flag goes up. Ridiculous.

He should’ve been flagged the moment he touched the ball. I don’t get the point in allowing play to continue for 30 secs then flag.
This is where the outcome needs to be played out in case the offside call was incorrect, I guess. If the assistant ref flags and stops play but it's wrong how is the disadvantage compensated without knowing what the outcome of play continuing would have been? Giving the attacking team a free kick from the position of the incorrect offside call seems woefully inadequate.

Wilkored08

It's interesting that the bellends have posted pics of Adrian off his line on Twitter but won't have any of the diving bollocks of Tammy. I'm made up we won it with that little shit fluffing his lines. Karma.
Brilliant to add the Super Cup to the CL
Justice that Tammy missed the penalty
after his dive in extra time
Matip was very good last night
I'm sure Klopp will sort it but we seem to be conceding more chances in games than last season, hopefully its a case of early season rust.
cheaters never prosper....just desserts for Tammy.....is there no retrospective yellow for the tom Daley????

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Was it a penalty? I don't think so, but no doubt others will disagree.

The final forward somersault, with tuck, was entirely unnecessary. And if that contact was sufficient to bring Abraham down, he must struggle to keep his feet in breezy weather. I would strongly advise him against standing in the path of the kids at his local infants school at home time.

With regards the ref and her assistants, I felt that they we no worse than many male officials, but that they did favour cheatski in the second half of normal time. I wonder if VAR spotted them flirting and holding hands with the cheatski players while they were waiting to come out for the second half, or was it just on my Russian stream? :think:

Neukolln

Ad-free Member

The final forward somersault, with tuck, was entirely unnecessary. And if that contact was sufficient to bring Abraham down, he must struggle to keep his feet in breezy weather. I would strongly advise him against standing in the path of the kids at his local infants school at home time.

With regards the ref and her assistants, I felt that they we no worse than many male officials, but that they did favour cheatski in the second half of normal time. I wonder if VAR spotted them flirting and holding hands with the cheatski players while they were waiting to come out for the second half, or was it just on my Russian stream?
Never a pen for me. That said I also posted this in the match thread after it happened, the governing bodies have been effusive in their proclamations that VAR will not be used to "re-referee" a game if there isn't clear and obvious evidence to support a reversal of the referee's call. So, net result is they were never going to reverse that call.

And to your last bit, I caught that too. Giroud was chatting one of them up, had her giggling and smiling from ear to ear and I am sure he smacked her bottom before walking away. It was so out of the norm I actually questioned if I just really saw that!

EDIT: I thought she called an outstanding match up until the pen. After that she was all over the place and nothing was consistent. One thing I have seen posted that I don't understand: we have seen men call worse. Excuse me? That is really insulting to her. Yes, we have "seen men call worse" but it isn't a question of gender equivocation. And to even suggest that double standard as an odd means of championing her work actually does the opposite, it negates and undermines her work by bringing gender into it.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Yeah,also the energy used to sprint and recover a position only to see afterwards it's off side must be frustrating.
It's more frustrating to concede a goal that should have been flagged but wasn't. I'd rather avoid that scenario than pretty much any other.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Congrats to the boys for bringing home another European trophy,i don't think we played very well at all but got the job done in the end,glad karma got the better of Tammy Abraham,never a penalty and deserved to get his saved for us to win.

VAR camera angles should be sorted out after this game,if the whole point of it is to get the right decision,then set it up properly,whats the point of refs looking at 2 camera angles of the incident that make it look like a penalty,give it but its the wrong call,when a much needed 3rd camera angle shows that no initial contact was made that brought him down,not give it and give the right call,it's not rocket science.

scouseheadross

Septical
Think VAR should be two reviews like in cricket. The players are best placed to spot if someone cheated and if it made a material difference. Would stop the constant delays checking every eventuality it seems to me now, yet giving an option to appeal clearly crap decisions (like in the cricket!).

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Re comparing the trophy hauls of the respective 'big' teams in English football (and it's really us compared with United) I thought I'd put them in the order of importance I personally place on them (which might seem biased towards domestic competitions for overseas fans):

1. First Division/Premier League
2. European Cup/Champions League
3. FA Cup
4. UEFA Cup/Europa League
5. Cup Winners Cup
6. League Cup
7. Club World Cup
8. Super Cup
9. Intercontinental Cup
10. Community/Charity Shield

Liverpool.....18.....24.....31....34....34....42....42....46....46....61
United..........20.....23.....35....36....37....42....43....44....45....66

So it depends on where you draw the line or what you consider to be a 'major' trophy. It's worth acknowledging that 2 of United's count are for trophies that have since been abolished as irrelevant (Cup Winners Cup and Intercontinental Cup). If those were removed we have 46 trophies against United 43 before you add on the Charity Shields.

From my own personal point of view I think the top two trophies are out on their own in terms of significance and then from Cup Winners Cup downwards they start to get a bit tinpot.

Regardless, I hope that we can soon surpass them again in terms of league titles and I hope Ferguson's alive to see it.

Flobs

FADA
How good was Bobby when he came on? He looks to have found his 2017/2018 form.
I thought he was a bit slow and soft, he lacked the little agression and speed so got caught quite often. Yes you could see the talent just not the end product. If he had had that little agression that i feel makes him the player that rocks he would have scored 3. :D

The Phenom

Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis
Congrats to the boys for bringing home another European trophy,i don't think we played very well at all but got the job done in the end,glad karma got the better of Tammy Abraham,never a penalty and deserved to get his saved for us to win.

VAR camera angles should be sorted out after this game,if the whole point of it is to get the right decision,then set it up properly,whats the point of refs looking at 2 camera angles of the incident that make it look like a penalty,give it but its the wrong call,when a much needed 3rd camera angle shows that no initial contact was made that brought him down,not give it and give the right call,it's not rocket science.
Adrian will be forever grateful to the twat for ultimately making him a hero.
If the diver didn't cheat, the match would have ended with us winning 2-1 and there will be no "Rocky story" ending.

Flobs

FADA
I just can not help it. I have to put down some of my thoughts.:D
It was a strange match that fluctuated between an exhibition match to a semi competative one. We had graet domination for the 1st half hour then took a breather which caused us all sorts of problems and mode Chelsea look really good.
Gomez is slowly waking up, i have no idea what he's been doing the last 6-8 months but it seems to have numbed his brain. WAKE UP LAD! Needs that match time I just hope it doesn't cost us too much.
I thought it was an enjoyable match that just lacked the competative edge to make it a good one. Hated the extra time, the players looked wasted. However a goalkeeper hero is a great way to finish in a penalty shootout.
As for players well noone particularly stood out. Adrain has to come in on top at the end. Mané showed the most desire (the CL cup seems to have made him even more hungry) and lastly for me Robertson our only defender who really looks alert and active at the moment.:)

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA

With regards the ref and her assistants, I felt that they we no worse than many male officials, but that they did favour cheatski in the second half of normal time. I wonder if VAR spotted them flirting and holding hands with the cheatski players while they were waiting to come out for the second half, or was it just on my Russian stream?
it's a difficult one. It is if it's just about contact. Adrian disn't touch the ball but touched the player. Then the player went down easy as he didn't have a hope of scoring after a poor control and the contact was minimal.
I would just say that I thought the refs where woeful. None of them seemed to understand offside (I'm sure Giroud was offside) and appeared to have little understanding of the physicality of football.
Anyway that's what it was the only really disappointing think for me was extra time, completely unnecessary for this cup.

MarcusBerglund

Winning that final is very important. The club, the players and the staff are starting to create a winning mentality. Winning cups the hard way will give the players confidence. LFC did not win a single trophy for almost 8 years. Now Klopp and the players delivered two european trophies in less then 3 months.
This is huge for the moral and the feel good factor around Liverpool.

But I am not pleased by the way we are playing since the start of the season. Defence is vary shaky, we leave huge gaps between midfield and defence. Alarming bells started ringing already against Norwich, but yestarday Lampard and his team were simply better than us. They had a clear plan, they were morre aggressive /wining almost every second ball/, their midfield looked far superior compared to ours. We were so embarassed that at some point VvD created our best chances with long balls. Playing from the back was a disaster - they pressed us and hunted our players.

Something very worring is the lack of accuracy in our passes. Midfield, fullbacks and even Matip made so many uncharacteristic unforced errors.
Our big weapon from last season - the fullbacks did not work. Robertson made so many mistakes choosing the wrong option, while Gomez looked absolutely inept offensively /top of the ice was when he was left alone in Chelsea's half and stumbled into the ball/. And what happens when Robbo is having a poor game? We play Gomez as a left back. Why we did not sign a proper competition for Andy is hard to explain, especially watching the lack of offensive quality from Gomez.

Our midfield trio - Fabinho, Hendo and Milner were caught out of position too many times. Kovacic, Jorginho and especially Kante!!! taught them a lesson. We were slow in possesion, offensively created almost zero /once again we rely to Firmino, Mane and Salah to create something. Forget about attacking depth - Shaqiri not used again and our two new signings were missing - Keita /injured/ and AOC /literally in Gini's shadow mode. At the moment only Origi is ready to deliver beside our best front three/.

Southampton is a very good and well built team. We are not in a position to underestimate any rival team. Chelsea were betan by 4 goals last weekend and our players probably expected w alk in the park, but it was actually a draining marathon. We need to improve and the process must start from defence.