Post Match: Liverpool v Crystal Palace (EPL 19/1/19 3pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Milner [red 89’]

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Matip

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Robertson

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Fabinho [off 87’]

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Keita [off 70’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Salah [GOAL 46’, 74’, off 90+4’]

Votes: 84 48.8%
  • Mane [GOAL 90+3’]

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Firmino [GOAL 52’]

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Shaqiri [on 70’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lallana [on 87’]

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Hell of a schedule, that. Nice break for all of us

That said, why go to the Middle East? When places like Barbados, east Caribbean (St Maarten/Antigua) are similar distances.

Never been to UAE (wife has twice for work) and she much prefers the laid back vibe of the Caribbean (and the cost associated)
Dubai is slightly closer and will have better facilities than the Caribbean. They won't be going just for a holiday.

They're at the airport now, not sure how long they're going for. This worked out well last year though.
Most of those places are two flights, not one, and often a short hop - it will end up being a 12-14 hour travel day. London to Dubai, probably even Manchester to Dubai, is one direct flight, in your hotel inside eight hours. As Illok says, not many world class training facilities going, whereas Dubai has developed a bit of a niche market for exactly this purpose - there are a couple of places clubs can book out for a week with underpitch *cooling*, training facilities that compare with Melwood, the whole bit.

C

Caradoc

I think now is the time to make our move for Zaha. He terrorised Milner playing on his opposite wing. He’s matured and shown that he can and does perform week-in-week-out and that he can be a key player.

My God, if we signed this lad, Werner, F Mendy and a top quality young LCB/LB in the summer they could leave the red ribbons on the EPL trophy for next season as well!

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Just wanted to comment on Keita and say we need to persevere. When he gets the ball, then turns and runs with it, it opens things up. OK it’s not quite clicking for him yet, but there is a good player there, I’ve no doubt of that.

He seemed to play on the left today, when going through the middle is more his game. Also, he was up against an excellent Wan Bissaka, and there won’t be many who will get any change out of him. I doubt he will stay at Palace for too long.

Anyhow, I’m keeping the faith in Keita.
Notwithstanding the fact he got his assist later in the match, I thought his level of play really dropped from about 25 minutes onward, when he got taken down hard with a tackle that was ruled clean - I think it was Tomkins? He seemed to be just getting to another level, had driven with the ball a couple of time in the preceding few minutes, and went really quiet again.

Not really sure what to make of that.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Owl face's pep talk before the match - "come on guys. We have angered football gods by fluking a win against the great Mancity. To avoid the wrath of football gods, we need to fight tooth and nail and win this game. Else we are screwed. Now go and win it."

Nothing else explains them giving their life and soul to win this game. Watch them sleep in the pitch against spurs in their own yard and getting trashed 0-5. Uber c***s them lot.

sms1986

Owl face's pep talk before the match - "come on guys. We have angered football gods by fluking a win against the great Mancity. To avoid the wrath of football gods, we need to fight tooth and nail and win this game. Else we are screwed. Now go and win it."

Nothing else explains them giving their life and soul to win this game. Watch them sleep in the pitch against spurs in their own yard and getting trashed 0-5. Uber c***s them lot.
I'm glad they put up a fight, made the victory even sweeter. They probably thought they could get a draw, but instead Hodgson got his first (of many) defeats at Anfield!

Wilkored08

Lot of newspaper articles re:- Mo and penalty calls...I'm sure there's a mathematical solution to him falling (object x speed x velocity)...but now we're onto Klopp....run on the pitch(no action)....and Nuno....run on pitch(sent to stands)...nothing to do with favouritism, I hope, just pathetic jobsworth refs...if Nuno didn't interfere or influence the game...let him enjoy with his team...it shows passion...fgs it was the last few minutes. Now everyone is pointing the finger at JK....feels as if someone somewhere is getting jittery

sms1986

Lot of newspaper articles re:- Mo and penalty calls...I'm sure there's a mathematical solution to him falling (object x speed x velocity)...but now we're onto Klopp....run on the pitch(no action)....and Nuno....run on pitch(sent to stands)...nothing to do with favouritism, I hope, just pathetic jobsworth refs...if Nuno didn't interfere or influence the game...let him enjoy with his team...it shows passion...fgs it was the last few minutes. Now everyone is pointing the finger at JK....feels as if someone somewhere is getting jittery
I wouldn't look too deeply into it, the media just print/post what they think will get the most attention. We're getting back to where we belong.

Red over the water

Notwithstanding the fact he got his assist later in the match, I thought his level of play really dropped from about 25 minutes onward, when he got taken down hard with a tackle that was ruled clean - I think it was Tomkins? He seemed to be just getting to another level, had driven with the ball a couple of time in the preceding few minutes, and went really quiet again.

Not really sure what to make of that.
Good point. I’ve noticed a bit of exasperation creeping in on a couple of occasions where fouls against him have not been given and his head drops a bit. It’s easy for me to say from the comfort of my couch (!) but he needs to play through that.

My best guess is he will keep chipping away and then something will click and he will have a really big game, the smile will return and it will all seem easier for him. How long that will take is impossible to tell, but hopefully soon.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Good point. I’ve noticed a bit of exasperation creeping in on a couple of occasions where fouls against him have not been given and his head drops a bit. It’s easy for me to say from the comfort of my couch (!) but he needs to play through that.

My best guess is he will keep chipping away and then something will click and he will have a really big game, the smile will return and it will all seem easier for him. How long that will take is impossible to tell, but hopefully soon.
He just needs to realise he’s better that these cloggers. At the minute he is getting bullied, but he’ll get there.

jaffod

Zaha would be a great addition .
He’s strong quick and has loads of tricks .
I think he’s a better finisher than Sadio .
Would give us the option of mixing it up a bit .
Zaha left and Sadio on the right could work .
Jurgen seems to like him .
Let’s not dish the lad in case he does end up here
The numbers suggest otherwise.

115 goals in 280 career games for Mane, 47 goals in 301 games for Zaha. Those figures are pretty stark. You could argue Mane is surrounded by better players but his return for Southampton was 1 in 3 while Zaha averages less than 1 in 6 over his career.

That's not to say he couldn't do a job here but he's 27 later this year and the top clubs haven't exactly been beating a path to his door. Maybe he's a bit like the team he plays for, raises his game against the big boys and then back to rank mediocrity against the likes of Burnley and Everton.

Red over the water

Zaha is a good player but I wouldn’t go there. He’s their main man and they would want a kings ransom. For the likely money there’s not enough goals. Lots of threat, but goals and assists aren’t elite. There’s every reason to believe that would improve in a better team, but the case for signing Zaha, at the likely cost, isn’t compelling for me.

I would imagine Werner would cost similar money, even slightly less. He’s less flashy, but fast too, and the numbers he puts up are much better.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Why bother with Zaha when for similar money you can get a much younger, more consistent, more productive and more rounded player in Werner?

jaffod

He just needs to realise he’s better that these cloggers. At the minute he is getting bullied, but he’ll get there.
He looks to me like he doesn't fancy the physical stuff and that would be a massive disappointment given the hype surrounding him before he arrived.
When he got tackled first half yesterday I thought for a moment he was going to feign injury to get subbed off but hopefully he was just trying to con the ref into giving a free-kick.
He just needs to do the basics to try to hit form, there was a long ball to him 2nd half which should have been easy to control but it looked like he tried to take it with the wrong foot and made a balls of it - haven't seen it again so may be wrong but that's how it looked at the time.
With everyone fit he's nowhere near a starter atm which is poor given we need everyone on their game if we're going to push for the PL and CL.

jaffod

Were you at the game? I'd love to know what others think, particularly those who attended.
Back in the day it would have been bedlam on the Kop coming from a goal down and scoring twice in 6 or 7 minutes in such an important game. Yesterday there was a bit of singing straight after the 2 goals but then back to normal. We were attacking the Kop end goal looking for a 3rd to kill the game and there was total silence. Embarrassing tbh.

dockers_strike

Back in the day it would have been bedlam on the Kop coming from a goal down and scoring twice in 6 or 7 minutes in such an important game. Yesterday there was a bit of singing straight after the 2 goals but then back to normal. We were attacking the Kop end goal looking for a 3rd to kill the game and there was total silence. Embarrassing tbh.
Not sure about embarassing but the atmos in the ground wasnt great and you'd expect better for a team going for the title. Overall, I think the crowd transmitted a lot of anxiety throughout the game. I dont know about the pressure getting to the players but it seems to have got to the fans during this game at least. Maybe it was because of the injuries we're racking up and things now looking a tad threadbare?

tesh

TIA New Signing
Zaha is anything far from lazy. Opposition hate to play him which says how much a threat he is.
Not a team player? How can you be when the rest of the team is defending in their own half? He is tasked with the job of providing an outlet when counter attacking a superior opposition. And he does it really well.
I admit I hate it when he goes down fairly often, in fact it is really frustrating to see him do the job he was assigned to do. Take on the opposition full backs and get the most out of it. He did it very well yesterday, having got Milner off.
I am still not convinced that Zaha is the best option to enforce our attacking options. But he is definitely one of the best in the list of feasible ones.
He went to Manure where he struggled, which suggests that he may struggle to take a step up in a bigger team. His own team mate (Hangeland) wrote that he trains "lite" is outright lazy. I don't care about the going down, *Gerrard* *Salah* ahem, it is more his attitude. It may be possible that he can change but he has played a certain role for so long it may be too ingrained to break away from it.

With a team ethos of running your guts out in matches, training till you drop, practising till you perfect, he would be somewhat of an oddity. Even if he was to come, Klopp seems to take time to introduce new additions and so do not know what he (or anyone new) would offer the team as per a direct impetus/impact.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Two stats that stun me
The first I would not have believed at the start of the season: We've only allowed 13 goals thus far
The second I would not have believed at the start of yesterday's match: 23% of the goals we've conceded were in one match at home against Crystal Palace

sms1986

Two stats that stun me
The first I would not have believed at the start of the season: We've only allowed 13 goals thus far
Compare that to conceding 38 all of last season.

The second I would not have believed at the start of yesterday's match: 23% of the goals we've conceded were in one match at home against Crystal Palace
And they still didn't win!