Post match: Liverpool v Everton (EPL 4/12/19 8.15pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 83’]

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Lovren

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Wijnaldum [GOAL 90’]

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • Milner

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Lallana [off 73’]

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Shaqiri [GOAL 17’]

Votes: 46 27.4%
  • Mane [GOAL 44’]

Votes: 122 72.6%
  • Origi [GOAL 6’, 31’, off 73’]

Votes: 98 58.3%
  • Henderson [on 73’]

• Firmino [on 73’]

• Gomez [on 83’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

donks

TIA First Team
I have been calling for at least one of Salah or Firmino to be left out for weeks as both were contributing nothing to the team for various reasons (Salah definitely not fully fit), so I was very happy when I saw Shaqiri back in and Origi played like a proper big physical number 9 tonight.

I can't admit I was happy with the midfield pre game and it really didn't work, Lallana and Milner left us far too open and most of our attacks by passed midfield with long balls into the channels and cross field balls. We looked much better and more compact when Henderson came in.

It's always nice to beat those bitter blue noses and to hammer them is even sweeter.

PS Mane is the best player in the league and top 3 in the world right now.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Excellent result
Always a banana skin game. Was a bit worried by the changes, but Shaqiri and Origi played very well. Im pretty sure the team were saving themselves in the last fixture for this game.
Im impressed by Origi more and more every game. His two goals were top class, and thats all down to Klopp who, IMO, saved him from leaving the club and turned his career around. Impressive.
An important win because its a derby, because it keeps our lead at the top, because Klopp made changes. Its all worked out very well.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Wow, that was some performance from the lads! A superb, scintillating first half punctuated by great goals, and then a more composed second one, with Gini putting the icing on the cake with the fifth.

This time, Kloppo rang the changes after a series of games with roughly the same starting team. As he said afterwards, it was an absolute necessity to rest the legs of some players, and to bring in fresh ones. The last games saw our players hang on by their fingernails towards the end of games, or on the contrary, having to dig in deep to get a late winner. Some players, like Bobby and Mo for instance, looked jaded in the last games, and to be brutally fair, far off their best form. So, a change was definitely needed, and it worked really well.

Often, when almost half of a team is changed, it creates problems of rhythm, players struggling to find each other etc. But not on that occasion. All players coming in did really well: Adrian, Milly and Lallana, Big Div and Shaq. It's great to be able to rely on them when the number of games increases all the time, and to see them perform so well. Klopp said so at the end of the game: it's the best feeling for a manager.

Divock scored two beautiful goals, what a nightmare he has become for the Evertonians... surely they must regret having injured him so badly a few years ago, he made sure that they'll never forget that moment, by owning them time and again. Great stuff!

Shaq was superb considering his long period off the pitch. Again, Klopp proves how good he is at judging when a player is ready to come back into the team. He made sure that he was at 100% before bringing him back again, and it paid off: his goal was brilliant (what a team move before his finish!), his set piece delivery was excellent and he was able to keep possession in the tightest of spaces and keep up the momentum of our attacks when the ball went through him.

Lallana and Milly too were great in midfield, it's so good to have these two relieving the pressure from the other midfielders. I'm sure that Keita will soon come back too, as Klopp has said that he is now fully in form physically. I was a bit surprised to not see him come on towards the end, but as we should know by now, Klopp will have had an excellent reason for still withholding him a while yet.

At the back (the only part without any change in formation), it was a bit open at times. TAA failed to keep his side in check at times (made up for it by great attacking passes and crosses though!) and Lovren, whom I jinxed completely by praising him yesterday before the game, committed a couple of mistakes, but had also some great moments, like his long pass for Div's second goal. VVD isn't at his very stellar best right at this moment and Robertson, just like TAA, contributes with his attacking moves more than with utter defensive solidity.

So, the game was bound to be open. It was like a couple of years ago or so, when we often would blitz the opposition with flashes of attacking brilliance, while remaining quite open at the back and thus receiving goals. Last season had made us accustomed to a steel-concrete defence without any flaws, but now, it seems a bit different, with more emphasis on the attacking part of our game. For instance, the reason why we didn't bury Brighton with a flurry of goals before they got a sniff towards the end, was only due to our players missing several guilt-edged chances.

Everton aren't a bad team at all. Every time I've had the occasion to watch highlights of their games this season, I've thought that they were quite unlucky with how the games unfolded. The latest game at Leicester was an example of that, and is maybe the reason why Silva is still in charge. That team seems to still believe in their qualities, and given our current frailty at the back, it shouldn't be a surprise that they were able to exploit them with two goals.

But this time, our attacking players were on their A-game and the attacking side of our game didn't leave them any chance. My Motm goes to Sadio, who was at the heart of everything good in our game. My other two votes go to Big Div and to the powercube.

As for Everton, I honestly wish them well, and hope that they'll work their way up again. A Premier League without Everton and Merseyside derbies would be utterly boring, and a loss for the city.

W00die

Ad-free Member
Positives:
Great to win by more than 1, thought first 4 goals were world class, Gini's pretty damn good as well.

Good to see Shaq back and thought he played very well. We could easily have got 7 or 8. when Origi has a good game he has a very good game! Didn't think any of our players were poor, just different degrees of brilliant. Good to have some rotation to rest some players.

Negatives:
Didn't like some of the challenges we made, why risk yellows (or Reds) on needless challenges. Also risks 'opposition' (if you can call them that) injuring our players in retaliation. Really odd, but we still need to improve our defence, don't know why we are giving away silly goals (or any for that matter!). They could easily have had a penalty from Big Virg (and he might have been sent off). Second half we went off the boil for the first 30 minutes or so.

Sweeting

Shaqiri played well but also thought there were clear examples of why he doesn't regularly get in the team. On more than a few occasions he let someone go past him off the ball and didn't react to track them.

Most notable time it happened was right before we scored our 4th - from a throw in the Everton player just walks into acres of space past Shaqiri and Everton very nearly scored from that attack.

In fact, everything Everton created was a Liverpool error.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
Having been reminded of how that dirty bastard Mori nearly killed Div's career a couple of years ago , this has to be the most sweetest of revenges. The best performance from him I've ever witnessed and for such a nice guy , the plaudits are well deserved.

Just have to mention Pickford though. How the fuck is that clown England's No.1. 5 shots , 5 goals , and every time the ball was anywhere near him he was flapping around like he'd already shit his pants. If Everton want to avoid relegation then they should boot him to the bench.

vjcpatriot

It's always fantastic to win a rivalry game. Especially by such a large margin. Everton has been knocked back into the relegation zone and I fear they are not much longer for the Prem. Their manager will be sacked sooner or later.

But let's get back to our boys. Absolutely a lethal attack, great ball movement, passing, and quality of finishing. Origi looks like he is the kryptonite for Everton. Mane really should have scored more but wasted a couple of prime opportunities. Regardless putting up 5 on the Toffees is quite an embarrassment. They were sent packing with tails between legs and I am sure their fans are none too pleased!

Just as importantly we continue to lead by 11 points over City and 8 over Leicester. Nearly halfway through the season, this is the best title challenge I've seen from Liverpool in years and I firmly believe we have the quality to finish the job!

Bring that champion's trophy back home to Anfield, lads! YNWA!

Trader

World class performance! Excellent from start to finish and we were able to rest Mo, Alisson, Bobby (a bit), and Ox and with December so full of fixtures it was something we really needed to be able to depend on the rest of the squad. We have important fixtures coming up and even though Bournemouth is an important one, I think Jurgen will be thinking of Salzburg as well. I would expect him to rest Sadio this time. It would make sense to me: Sadio has not had a long summer break and I think he's played every match so far. I wouldn't mind seeing Sadio rested so he's fresh for Salzburg.

Glad not to see a nervy win with a 1 goal difference. We have blown away shitty and the bitters... not bad at all.
First half was great with great goals but the goals we conceded could have been prevented. For the first goal, we were unlucky not to get rid of the ball a few times and let the bitters in. If Andy got a better touch on his clearance at the free kick we wouldn't have conceded a corner from which they scored. If Adam would have got a better touch from the corner we would be able to prevent the cross when Dejan messed up for their goal.
I genuinely thought we were lucky not to concede a pen after Virgil seemed to foul their attacker. He might have been sent off too but luckily the gods were smiling on us...

Second half we controlled it and we scored at the very end (we always score in the last 5 mins haha!). I like to think we finally kept a clean sheet in the second half and won it 1-0 :)
COYR YNWA!

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
It was like a couple of years ago or so, when we often would blitz the opposition with flashes of attacking brilliance, while remaining quite open at the back and thus receiving goals
like in 2014 where we beat the 4-0 under Rodgers, strangely enough I was thinking of that game as Origi scored his two, and thinking how similar they were to the 2 sturridge scored that day.

Sweeting

Having been reminded of how that dirty bastard Mori nearly killed Div's career a couple of years ago , this has to be the most sweetest of revenges. The best performance from him I've ever witnessed and for such a nice guy , the plaudits are well deserved.

Just have to mention Pickford though. How the fuck is that clown England's No.1. 5 shots , 5 goals , and every time the ball was anywhere near him he was flapping around like he'd already shit his pants. If Everton want to avoid relegation then they should boot him to the bench.
They have got far too many players who are style over substance.

The fans won't like it but they should go back to a bit a Dog's of War style to get themselves out of trouble and then focus on buying characters not flavours of the month.

There really isn't that much positive about them at the moment.

A new manager should be looking at clearing out Pickford, Holgate, Keane, Walcott, Mina, Tosun, Iwobi, Schneiderlin, Sidibe, Kean, Niasse and Martina. That's a full squad of below standard players. Then you also have an issue with Coleman and Baines coming to the end of their careers and a few unknown quantities such as Gbamin who might be decent but is probably shit.

They have to build around Sigurdsson and Richarlison. Tom Davies is OK. Andre Gomes is good if he recovers. Delph is alright. Digne has his days.

Basically their squad next season should be...

?
Coleman ? ? Digne
Gomes Delph
? Sigurdsson ?
Richarlison

Fill those questions markes with decent players and they should be able to get in the top 10.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Who needs clean sheets anyway? If we concede a goal we just go up the other end and score. It was a fantastic night. Great YNWA to kick everything off. The track seemed to disappear very early on and it was just the crowd singing. Just as it should be. I wasn't surprised that Lallana and Origi started. There are clues from what JK has done in previous seasons. He did the exact same thing when we played the midweek December league game against Burnley last season. Salah and Bobby on the bench. JK is just an all-round fantastic manager but he is particularly good at squad management and rotation and I don't think he sees the Everton game in quite the same way as us fans. I think he sees them as a mid-lower table club that we should easily beat even with a few changes. I didn't see Shaq starting but was pleased for him that he did. I love his enthusiasm and he was great throughout. Really fresh even at the end for someone who's barely played for months.

Mane was unplayable. It was like the ball was tied to his feet. They couldn't get near him. He is getting better and better every week. Defensively it was the, by now, predictably uneven performance we've been seeing more or less all season. I really shouldn't be shitting it when we're 4-2 up against Everton, but I was at times. They had a great chance with 5 minutes left, just after Mane had refused to go down after being very obviously pushed in the back in front of an open goal. If Everton had scored then it could have been tense.

We just roll on. What is left to say about this team? We are witnessing greatness here.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Fickle bunch though some of you.

Increasing calls for new signings in Jan because the front three can't play every game. We can't rely on Origi and Shaqiri.

We start a line-up resting Salah and Bobby and it's a massive gamble and Klopp could have a lot to answer for if we don't win.

We smash in 5 goals and Klopp is a genius, our squad depth is suddenly fine again.

Bunch of bloody knee-jerkers.
I'm not sure anyone thinking we could improve the squad and the ways to do so is knee-jerking.

I'm not sure that for Origi, who has been bang average when started up front as a no.9 for quite some time, it is unreasonable to explore or discuss if he is the required quality to provide genuine rotation for our front 3. Who was to know he'd finally put in a performance with fire in his belly and turned into the love child of Torres and Henry. It was a performance I actually thought he didn't have in him.. I believe Martinez said he's having 1 on 1 time with Herny - By god it showed, not just the touches, the shots, the goals.. His off the ball movement was excellent he pulled their defense all over the shop - Usually he is really static.

I'm also not sure where questioning Shaqiri and his role when he's been injured nearly half the time here and provided near to no impact for the team to date.. To then see him come in cold, do a full 90 mins, a few defensive lapses aisde he was excellent.

None of that is knee-jerk, its just discussing the team and the future at the point the discussion is made. 2 amazing single performances aside does not a long term future make but by god it's a positive - Why turn that into petty point scoring?

I hope Origi/Shaqiri kick on from now, we have a hugely congested fixture list coming up and those performances are what they need to continue to deliver and if they do I'd be more than happy forgoing signings as on last nights showing they gave the rotation option we've been crying out for all season.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Who needs clean sheets anyway? If we concede a goal we just go up the other end and score. It was a fantastic night. Great YNWA to kick everything off. The track seemed to disappear very early on and it was just the crowd singing. Just as it should be. I wasn't surprised that Lallana and Origi started. There are clues from what JK has done in previous seasons. He did the exact same thing when we played the midweek December league game against Burnley last season. Salah and Bobby on the bench. JK is just an all-round fantastic manager but he is particularly good at squad management and rotation and I don't think he sees the Everton game in quite the same way as us fans. I think he sees them as a mid-lower table club that we should easily beat even with a few changes. I didn't see Shaq starting but was pleased for him that he did. I love his enthusiasm and he was great throughout. Really fresh even at the end for someone who's barely played for months.

Mane was unplayable. It was like the ball was tied to his feet. They couldn't get near him. He is getting better and better every week. Defensively it was the, by now, predictably uneven performance we've been seeing more or less all season. I really shouldn't be shitting it when we're 4-2 up against Everton, but I was at times. They had a great chance with 5 minutes left, just after Mane had refused to go down after being very obviously pushed in the back in front of an open goal. If Everton had scored then it could have been tense.

We just roll on. What is left to say about this team? We are witnessing greatness here.
Concerning YNWA, I’ve said it a few times all George needs to do is play the first line and the crowd can take it from there.

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
I'm not sure anyone thinking we could improve the squad and the ways to do so is knee-jerking.

I'm not sure that for Origi, who has been bang average when started up front as a no.9 for quite some time, it is unreasonable to explore or discuss if he is the required quality to provide genuine rotation for our front 3. Who was to know he'd finally put in a performance with fire in his belly and turned into the love child of Torres and Henry. It was a performance I actually thought he didn't have in him.. I believe Martinez said he's having 1 on 1 time with Herny - By god it showed, not just the touches, the shots, the goals.. His off the ball movement was excellent he pulled their defense all over the shop - Usually he is really static.

I'm also not sure where questioning Shaqiri and his role when he's been injured nearly half the time here and provided near to no impact for the team to date.. To then see him come in cold, do a full 90 mins, a few defensive lapses aisde he was excellent.

None of that is knee-jerk, its just discussing the team and the future at the point the discussion is made. 2 amazing single performances aside does not a long term future make but by god it's a positive - Why turn that into petty point scoring?

I hope Origi/Shaqiri kick on from now, we have a hugely congested fixture list coming up and those performances are what they need to continue to deliver and if they do I'd be more than happy forgoing signings as on last nights showing they gave the rotation option we've been crying out for all season.
The knee-jerking is the calling for players to be rested more, then shitting the bed when Klopp decides to do it, and claiming it as a giant success when we pull it off. Had we dropped points then clearly a different narrative would have appeared.

It's nothing to do with point scoring, it's being realistic about how Klopp works. It was discussed to death in the summer that if Klopp did not have faith in the squad players he had, then we would have bought. But for right or wrong he stuck with the hand he had, and we as fans should try and understand why he has done that and support the players when they are given their chances instead of starting the demands for new blood in January, when the odds are Klopp will decide to continue to put faith in these players instead of turning to the market.

If people disagree and think we should buy, that's fine, I think it just shows a lack of understanding of Klopp's character.

Last edited:

boston red

Show me the Mane.
SoccerAM dinosaurs on Youtube put their Soccer Stream of the midweek games (with Jeff, Phil Thompson and co)

One clueless muppet called us a "long ball team" v Everton.

There is a difference between a long ball and a long pass
I seen that last night as well! hilarious to say the least, Liverpool as of right now are the complete puzzle as Mourinho said, the fact that we can go long with the ball and be as intricate as Shaqiri goal shows what's at hand for us.

Incognito

The Normal One
All I know is if one is not enjoying our football now, there's very little chance such moments will come back later whenever Klopp goes. Let the perception we have developed of few players not come in the way of what is excellent managed squad and games, and the joy in supporting our club it is bringing. :)

There will come a time when we may look back and see we had much better times the present years and we ended up complaining too much instead of living in this moment.

jaffod

Wasn't happy at all with the line-up when I saw it, couldn't make any sense of it at all but that's why JK is the manager and I spout shit on here.
It's very reassuring to know these lads can come in and contribute, something many of us have been crying out for as this very busy period approached. Salah and Bobby have looked jaded recently so some rotation should benefit them.
Shaq and Divock were outstanding, Lallana was decent but I just wish he'd cut some of those pirouettes out - the one by the Anny Rd end first half when there was nobody near him cost us a good scoring chance and absolutely boiled my piss.
Glad this one is out of the way for another season, I absolutely detest this game and the only emotion I feel after a win is relief. Hopefully these turds will flush this season but I think it's unlikely.
Mane, Divock and Shaq MOTM.
We played in 3rd gear and conserved energy the whole of the 2nd half and never looked in trouble so we should be fresh for Saturday given we can rotate massively. Hendo, Keita, Ox, Bobby and Salah all rested and available, Mane is just a fucking monster and Shaq and Divock will be desperate for another chance.
Up the fucking Reds!!

Sweeting

SoccerAM dinosaurs on Youtube put their Soccer Stream of the midweek games (with Jeff, Phil Thompson and co)

One clueless muppet called us a "long ball team" v Everton.

There is a difference between a long ball and a long pass
We were definitely more direct against Everton than we usually play, but there is no "right way" to play football.

Barcelona and Guardiola kind of mesmerised people with the tiki-taka stuff and it obviously became the "only" way to play with every Sunday League football team in the UK having at least one guy who thought he was Xavi. I think most people have moved past that now, after Bayern Munich destroyed Barcelona a few years ago with that aggressive, physical but also technical style it woke people up again to the idea that other ways of playing football exist. Since then Leicester won the league as a "long ball" team and we saw a period where counter attacking teams decimated possession focused clubs (we were victims of that on multiple occasions).

High pressing is in vogue now and seems to be considered "the way" to play if you are a top club but we have somewhat moved away from that and Klopp has been able to reinvent himself as a pragmatist. The media haven't picked up on it yet but eventually they will. We don't press high very often, we are selective with it and win most of our games by being controlled, measured (last night is a bad example) and taking advantage of the weaknesses of the team we are playing against.

Did we play long balls last night and go direct? Yes. Why? Because we clearly recognised that Mina, Holgate and Keane are slow and easy to get in behind. It is pragmatism over ideology.

Last edited:

Red over the water

Was it Paisley who said, “It’s not about the long pass or the short pass... it’s about the right pass.”

When you hit a great pass over the top of the midfield and give them all sorts of problems like we did last night, it is a thing of beauty. Obviously we play with lots of short passing and movement too. We’ve got the lot really, and that’s the story. Five changes. Five goals. Easy derby win. European champions. Top of the league.

Yep, people will snipe at that. We are a big target these days. Everyone wants to measure themselves against us. Long may it continue!

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Concerning YNWA, I’ve said it a few times all George needs to do is play the first line and the crowd can take it from there.
It works much better. I think it ends up being sung a bit quicker but at least everyone stays in time and there isn't that slight pause before the second chorus which allows some people to burst into applause. One of my pet hates. I found it quite emotional last night. Maybe it was the Hillsborough stuff last week or maybe I'm just getting sentimental in my old age, but whatever it was I much preferred it.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
The knee-jerking is the calling for players to be rested more, then shitting the bed when Klopp decides to do it, and claiming it as a giant success when we pull it off. Had we dropped points then clearly a different narrative would have appeared.

It's nothing to do with point scoring, it's being realistic about how Klopp works. It was discussed to death in the summer that if Klopp did not have faith in the squad players he had, then we would have bought. But for right or wrong he stuck with the hand he had, and we as fans should try and understand why he has done that and support the players when they are given their chances instead of starting the demands for new blood in January, when the odds are Klopp will decide to continue to put faith in these players instead of turning to the market.

If people disagree and think we should buy, that's fine, I think it just shows a lack of understanding of Klopp's character.
The problem is the word - Knee-jerk typically indicates without thought.. Not many I've seen who have discussed strengthening and the lack of performances from our "fringe" have done so in a manner which I'd say as without thinking.

As I say, when you get "ha ha ha - you think you are cleverer than Klopp you said he should buy a player but Origi scored two worldies so you are wrong" (hyperbole - yes) type posts in my opinion it comes across as petty point scoring where there is no need.