POST MATCH: Liverpool v Fulham (EPL 11/11/18 12pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Gomez

• Van Dijk

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 65 45.1%
  • Fabinho [off 90+2’]

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Wijnaldum [off 68’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaqiri [GOAL 53’, off 81’]

Votes: 62 43.1%
  • Salah [GOAL 40’]

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Firmino

• Mane

• Henderson [on 68’]

• Milner [on 81’]

• Keita [on 90+2’]

• Total voters

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Well that was ok!

Anfield was quiet - way too early.
Not as easy as we expected, got the win and the 3 points. Could have been a banana skin!

On the score board, they spelt Shaqiri wrong when he scored - anyone else notice that?

Now cmon Everton and united - show up for your games please. Did I just say that?

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Could Shaq replace Mane on that left hand side? i think Sadio needs a little bit of a rest and a reset.
Has Klopp played Shaq as a wide forward since he arrived? Maybe against PSG which was a bit of a disaster for his 5 or so minutes. I think there is a reason he's not playing there.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Literally only saw the last 10 minutes but very happy to see us making light work of home games. Barely even a contest from what I saw.

It was actually a close one. Fulham had a good goal wrongly ruled out for offside from which we scored after 14 seconds of the ball going into our net. We struggled to complete passes in the final third and didn't move the ball quick enough. Add in a few misplaced passes and poor touches and viola we have a disappointing 2-0 win. Fulham concede on average 2.6 goals per game going into this match and we under-delivered.

Why does Klopp take off attackers for midfielders instead of trying to score more goals? This is increasingly looking like a season devoted to defending. Maybe after last season's attacking performance maybe this season is all about defense so perhaps next season will be when we have the right balance?

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
And yes Salah is getting double teamed a lot, this is why having a 4th attacking option who forces a 4 man defence into decisions is vital to us
shouldn't this open up a bunch of opportunities for us in other areas of play to tear teams apart?
if so we don't seem to be doing it
and they double- or triple-teamed Mo so much today I expected Bobby F to have a field day - but not so much...

Limiescouse

I think so, a lot of the movement from Shaqiri today was to operate in the pocket of space behind their midfield but in front of their defence..
I think a big part of it is how small a space the player can be in and still feel comfortable asking for the ball. Shaq's ability and confidence allows him to get the ball in spaces other players wouldn't ask for it in

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Been thinking about this season, in light of that match and I think we fans are going to have to used to that game of football.

A lot of our hammerings last season arose because teams were willing to have a go at us. The space was there for us to create.

Today I happened to be watching with my dad, and when Salah scores he said that the game should open up now. I said it wouldn’t. And it didn’t, because Fulham’s primary aim today was to not get battered. Even when Shaqiri scores they show no real intent to come out of their shape and have a go.

There isn’t a lot you can do when your opponent is fine with losing. Just keeping a defensive shape even at 2-0.

We need to get used to this.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
shouldn't this open up a bunch of opportunities for us in other areas of play to tear teams apart?
if so we don't seem to be doing it
and they double- or triple-teamed Mo so much today I expected Bobby F to have a field day - but not so much...
Yes it should, but because none of our midfielders are breaking the first press Firmino was dropping deeper and deeper to get involved with play. So now you have fullbacks deep, your no.9 deep, your midfield being static.. A huge problem in our play so far this season has been the fact its been slow, ponderous, side to side and not penetration at pace. Shaqiri operates (and loves to as Limie says) in tight spaces and is always looking to go forward, just like Oxlade would pick up the ball and bomb forward.. It commits their defence to step out, creating space elsewhere.

Mada

TIA 2nd Team
I keep waiting for the 5 goal explosion against the lower teams, and when it doesn't happen I find myself momentarily disappointed and feeling like we are a team with problems.

However, that moment of downcast pessimism is quickly erased when I look at where we are in the league table and remind myself that we are sitting at the top despite not looking our best. Perspective in context is key to this season for all of us supporters.

johnoleary

ok well very comfortable in the end,but lets not forget the first half where we could have let in a couple,although their keeper made 2 good saves as well,much less sloppy from us today but still an average performance against a fairly compact fulham side.i thought mo was a bit better today,and trent looked iffy at times but boy you could see he was trying.most played average i feel,apart from firmino and mane who i thought were fairly poor.
without doubt shaquiri should be one of the first names on the teamsheet,hes always trying to be inventive and can score goals as well,but mom is robertson..what a star he is,never stops running and working end product not 100% today but the guy gives everything for liverpool EVERY game,superb player.

C

Caradoc

We played some good football today but we’re just not stringing it together for sustained periods at the moment. Our two goals actually came from two pieces of real quality in the build-up.

Mane is just Mane. I’m not sure he has ever fully been part of the front 3. He seems to play his own game and his awareness of others around him, including Mo and Bobby, seems to be lacking on occasions. But that’s just Sadio, he was like this last season. When Sadio is having a good game it tends to be more as an individual than part of the front 3.

Mo is slowly getting back to his best. I don’t think he’s too far away now but I am concerned that he won’t be able to take the final step so long as Bobby is so badly off form which he was again today. His first touch and his layoffs are really poor at the moment by his own standards. Its as if he’s just not fully focussed. I’m not looking to criticise, its just an observation.

Robertson had a couple of below par performances by his own high standards but today he was back to his very best. I struggle to believe that there is a better left-back in the EPL right now. Sessegnon really tested both TAA and Gomez today but he looks to be a very special talent. He even gave Virgil a couple of shaky moments out there. Trent really does need to work on his shooting and crossing though because he’s either been over-hitting his crosses or ballooning his shots over the bar for most of this season so far.

So today was another curate’s egg of a performance but overall we got plenty out of it in terms of the points and a clean sheet.

mikodelniko13

Better today Shaq provided some creativity in the midfield . Tempo still slow .
Will clyne play again !

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
It wasn’t wrong. It was offside.
It was only offside from where the linesman was standing and he was standing in the wrong place. Robertson was playing Mitrovic onside but the fact is he was onside.
Also for those wondering Salah was also onside.

Limiescouse

It was only offside from where the linesman was standing and he was standing in the wrong place. Robertson was playing Mitrovic onside but the fact is he was onside.
Also for those wondering Salah was also onside.
It was only offside if offside is something other than what offside is. But if offside is offside then it was actually offside.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Although I only watched it on the telly, the atmosphere looked dead. Could hear the players shouting to each other. The club really need to be doing something about this otherwise the Thomas cook tourists will start going elsewhere.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Another big win, would have liked more goals. Its almost 4am here, taking my ass to bed.
Big win ???

We won barely won playin the worse team in the league at Anfield. Are we fighting relegation ?

Sweeting

Although I only watched it on the telly, the atmosphere looked dead. Could hear the players shouting to each other. The club really need to be doing something about this otherwise the Thomas cook tourists will start going elsewhere.
Kick off at midday doesn't help that in fairness.

big noyd

double pivot seems to suit our midfield players, with the exception of milner & to a lesser extent keita

perhaps we see something of a rotation between shaqiri in his floating role & keita playing the front 3

Sweeting

As I said yesterday, people need to learn just to enjoy being a competant team who win games in routine fashion consistently. We are only 2 years removed from not being a CL team. 3 (and a bit) years ago we were getting spanked 6-1 by Stoke.

The fact Man City exist should not take away enjoyment in winning football games. If our "benchmark" for success is to win every game 5-0 then we are always going to be disappointed.

We are good. We win games. We rarely lose. Be happy.

RedSeven

On the one road
Been thinking about this season, in light of that match and I think we fans are going to have to used to that game of football.

A lot of our hammerings last season arose because teams were willing to have a go at us. The space was there for us to create.

Today I happened to be watching with my dad, and when Salah scores he said that the game should open up now. I said it wouldn’t. And it didn’t, because Fulham’s primary aim today was to not get battered. Even when Shaqiri scores they show no real intent to come out of their shape and have a go.

There isn’t a lot you can do when your opponent is fine with losing. Just keeping a defensive shape even at 2-0.

Our next port of call for players then are those who can unlock tight defenses on a regular basis as city seem to be capable of doing.

Noo Noo

As I said yesterday, people need to learn just to enjoy being a competant team who win games in routine fashion consistently. We are only 2 years removed from not being a CL team. 3 (and a bit) years ago we were getting spanked 6-1 by Stoke.

The fact Man City exist should not take away enjoyment in winning football games. If our "benchmark" for success is to win every game 5-0 then we are always going to be disappointed.

We are good. We win games. We rarely lose. Be happy.

I think you guys are right. Klopp is clearly looking something really solid rather than the slightly less disciplined free flowing football of last season.

That's fine and today was another good win, long may it continue, however, I still think there's work to do with the midfield so that we can properly control games when the need arises. In recent games we haven't been able to do that and have been riding our luck as a result. Get that right and we will be even more formidable than we currently are.