• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool v Fulham (EPL 11/11/18 12pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Gomez

• Van Dijk

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 65 45.1%
  • Fabinho [off 90+2’]

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Wijnaldum [off 68’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaqiri [GOAL 53’, off 81’]

Votes: 62 43.1%
  • Salah [GOAL 40’]

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Firmino

• Mane

• Henderson [on 68’]

• Milner [on 81’]

• Keita [on 90+2’]

• Total voters

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Fulham did well, but a little bit of a flattering scoreline for them. That said, a few moments where we switched off. Trent's delivery was woeful at times, a wee bit of a worry. On the other side, Robbo was fantastic. Either way, I'd take either of them over Sessegnon who looks decent going forward but just all over the place at the back.

I don't like the 4-2-3-1 and trying to centre everything around Salah. It slows everything down, isolates Bobby, and Salah did magnificently coming off the right wing last year in the 4-3-3. It's saving legs, it's grinding out results, but... it just doesn't seem to suit the lads.

C

Caradoc

Fulham did well, but a little bit of a flattering scoreline for them. That said, a few moments where we switched off. Trent's delivery was woeful at times, a wee bit of a worry. On the other side, Robbo was fantastic. Either way, I'd take either of them over Sessegnon who looks decent going forward but just all over the place at the back.

I don't like the 4-2-3-1 and trying to centre everything around Salah. It slows everything down, isolates Bobby, and Salah did magnificently coming off the right wing last year in the 4-3-3. It's saving legs, it's grinding out results, but... it just doesn't seem to suit the lads.

But Sessegnon was playing left wing whereas TAA and Robbo were playing full back? :think:

Flobs

FADA
Although I only watched it on the telly, the atmosphere looked dead. Could hear the players shouting to each other. The club really need to be doing something about this otherwise the Thomas cook tourists will start going elsewhere.
What was going on on the field didn't do anything to prevent them nodding off did it?
A few applied passes might do the trick, who knows?

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Although I only watched it on the telly, the atmosphere looked dead. Could hear the players shouting to each other. The club really need to be doing something about this otherwise the Thomas cook tourists will start going elsewhere.
More tickets for the locals = master plan?

RedTideCT

Far be it from me to second-guess Herr Klopp, but I'm not really enjoying this formation with Salah front and centre. I thought that last season, when Firmino occupied that position, he engaged the opposing CBs and opened space for Mo & Sadio. With Mo there, opposing CBs are finding it too easy to stop him from getting the ball and having the chance to run at them. Mo doesn't hold the ball up like Bobby can, so he gets dispossessed and can't bring others into play.

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
As I said yesterday, people need to learn just to enjoy being a competant team who win games in routine fashion consistently. We are only 2 years removed from not being a CL team. 3 (and a bit) years ago we were getting spanked 6-1 by Stoke.

The fact Man City exist should not take away enjoyment in winning football games. If our "benchmark" for success is to win every game 5-0 then we are always going to be disappointed.

We are good. We win games. We rarely lose. Be happy.
POTY contender, this.

Top. Notch.

20ATHLONE

Watching the scum get picked apart by Shity .... gonna be tough to topple them this year. We certainly are on a tremendous run and have the squad/ manager to push them but it’s teams like Fulham that’ll derail it if we allow them opportunities like today.

On another day we won’t “get away with it”, today however, I’ll savor the 3 points

YNWA

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
But Sessegnon was playing left wing whereas TAA and Robbo were playing full back? :think:
Put your scratchy chin emoji away. We were being linked with Sessegnon a season and a half ago to play as our left back, and when we didn't sign him (and got Robbo) the majority tossed their toys out of their pram at us "losing out" and instead signing some no-mark who wasn't good enough for us.

He played on the left for a Fulham side who were set up to defend deep, and yet TAA was allowed the freedom of the park. In the second half he and Schurrle switched sides, and lo and behold Robbo had all day on the ball every time it came to him.

C

Caradoc

Put your scratchy chin emoji away. We were being linked with Sessegnon a season and a half ago to play as our left back, and when we didn't sign him (and got Robbo) the majority tossed their toys out of their pram at us "losing out" and instead signing some no-mark who wasn't good enough for us.

He played on the left for a Fulham side who were set up to defend deep, and yet TAA was allowed the freedom of the park. In the second half he and Schurrle switched sides, and lo and behold Robbo had all day on the ball every time it came to him.

I think I’m perfectly entitled to wonder why somebody would want to directly compare players playing in completely different positions. :-)

And Sessegnon had both TAA and Gomez in trouble more than once today.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
Game of 2 halves. The first half was pedestrian and frustrating to watch. Much better in the second half, but would have been interesting to see how we coped if Fulham didn't fly the white flag.

Happy with the 3 points but in all honesty was expetcing much more of a reaction after Red Star.

I prefer Mo on the right than through the middle.
Shaq is a must start as he seems to be the only player with craetive flair.
Wiji, as well as he has played this season, needs to carry the ball when he has some space and look more often for a penetrating pass.
VVD should never be taking free kicks and neither should TAA if Shaq is on the field.

Really want to see us work on our clearances at the back as we seem to head easy headers straight back to the opposition far too often and invite more pressure. Same with moving the ball around in tight spaces, we have far too many players at the moment whose touch is letting them down.

International break, whoopee :unhappy:

sms1986

Three points and a clean sheet, as always a great result regardless of how well we play.

Flobs

FADA
Far be it from me to second-guess Herr Klopp, but I'm not really enjoying this formation with Salah front and centre. I thought that last season, when Firmino occupied that position, he engaged the opposing CBs and opened space for Mo & Sadio. With Mo there, opposing CBs are finding it too easy to stop him from getting the ball and having the chance to run at them. Mo doesn't hold the ball up like Bobby can, so he gets dispossessed and can't bring others into play.
Trouble is Firmino doesn't look capable of doing anything positive or constructive atm. I can see Shaquiri replacing him full time soon if he doesn't pull his thumb out.
By far our most out of form player atm. I wish he would jump out of it.

Flobs

FADA
For all the worries and frustration being expressed, we did better at home against bottom feeders than Chelsea and Arsenal today.

Even City conceded to one.
Did they all play Fulham? :shocked:

C

Caradoc

Trouble is Firmino doesn't look capable of doing anything positive or constructive atm. I can see Shaquiri replacing him full time soon if he doesn't pull his thumb out.
By far our most out of form player atm. I wish he would jump out of it.

Unfortunately I think you are right ...... ! :((

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I think I’m perfectly entitled to wonder why somebody would want to directly compare players playing in completely different positions. :-)

And Sessegnon had both TAA and Gomez in trouble more than once today.

Just my opinion.
Because

a) Fulham were sitting with nine players behind the ball, suggesting that he had some defensive responsibility today.

b) people have suggested signing him as a player who can cover both the LB and LW positions.

C

Caradoc

Because

a) Fulham were sitting with nine players behind the ball, suggesting that he had some defensive responsibility today.

b) people have suggested signing him as a player who can cover both the LB and LW positions.

Yes including me and I stand by that opinion.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Yes including me and I stand by that opinion.
Admittedly I’ve only seen him on MOTD up to now, but I don’t think he’s a full back at this level. Forward? Yeah, cracking young player. But as a full back I think most decent teams would have field day with him.

phil smith

Anyone else notice how bad TAA corners were again today. He was either not reaching the near post or whacking them out on the other side of the ground. Gomez and VVD must be pissed off with the deliveries.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Admittedly I’ve only seen him on MOTD up to now, but I don’t think he’s a full back at this level. Forward? Yeah, cracking young player. But as a full back I think most decent teams would have field day with him.
I think that is a bit harsh on an 18-year old playing in the PL for the first time, for a not particularly good team. He got away with a lot in the CH because of his relative pace advantage, he will need to tighten things up, but I expect him to continue to develop. He is a year and a half younger than TAA, has not had as consistent coaching and is not surrounded by the same talent level, a rougher transition is to be expected.

RJK

Anyone else notice how bad TAA corners were again today. He was either not reaching the near post or whacking them out on the other side of the ground. Gomez and VVD must be pissed off with the deliveries.
Only saw the last 30 min, but to me, his body language is way down. Doesn't look a happy chap. Clearly Jurgen doesn't think so, but I'd be playing Clyne through this period.

Flobs

FADA
I also noticed that Salah and Milner are as bad if not worst. Another call to Shaquiri? lol

santana

i really don't know what was that ?!
i think it is time to change formation 433 because it is not working !
so try 343 or 352 because the reds will not go far with 433 or 4231 !
one month is more than enough to start a new play style with the best players in pl .