POST MATCH: Liverpool v Fulham (EPL 11/11/18 12pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Gomez

• Van Dijk

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 65 45.1%
  • Fabinho [off 90+2’]

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Wijnaldum [off 68’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaqiri [GOAL 53’, off 81’]

Votes: 62 43.1%
  • Salah [GOAL 40’]

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Firmino

• Mane

• Henderson [on 68’]

• Milner [on 81’]

• Keita [on 90+2’]

• Total voters

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
you see the plan or play style in controling the game otherwise you win by players quality not by plan or play style so my advice go to standard formation 442 to close gaps or try 343 352 to control midfield , fulham match is another .. proof !

You and your formation talk. It's getting a bit tiresome/tedious/mind-numbing/boring now. Why don't you try and talk about something else :well done:

Red Eyes

I disagree with Klopp when he says that this season will only be judged as a success if we win the league. I think we just need to win something to remind the club and players what it's like to hold up a trophy. After their decades in the wilderness City started with an FA cup win, and it changed the mind set of the club and gave them a positive charge. Like it or not we have been in a similar wilderness in the league for nearly 30 years, and have won nothing for the last 13 years. While coming so close to trophies (league cup finals, CL last season, Stevie's slip) should be treated as positives (which of course they are), it must also be tough for players to put it behind them straight away. Maybe there is a bit of that in our CL performances this season. In terms of the premiership, some perspective is important. We are going toe to toe with a City set up that is possibly the best that the premiership has ever seen in terms of squad, training facilities, manager, budget. Despite that there is not much to choose between us at the moment, and with a tail wind we can still beat them to the title. If however they edge us by a couple of points, it is difficult to say that the season had not been successful given that the gap from last season should have closed by twenty odd points. Surely that is progress? I think the differences of opinion on forums at the moment are more about the yardstick that people judge results, and that everyone's yard stick is different. Personally I would take an FA cup win and top four finish this season in a blink, as lifting a domestic trophy would do more for club morale than falling at the last hurdle in the CL last season. I'm in this for the long game. Confidence is the ingredient 'x' that takes players and clubs to a new level, and confidence comes from winning big matches and trophies.

Last edited:
Had Fulham actually faced up instead of allowing themselves to be distracted
I would think that thinking you had scored a goal is quite distracting and that the ref would blow the whistle for a goal. A very understandable distraction.
I was still screaming at how stupid our defense was when I noticed that instead of it being 0-1 it was 1-0 on the score board. I was a lot more distracted than those poor Fulham players. lol

santana

i saw fulham match
formation 541
1- team can make many chances with one in forwards
2- team can not prevent goals with 5 defenders
3- if formation not working try another
4- if liverpool think a bout trophy then forget it and don't waste time .
5- liverpool should try 442 with mane and salah in front and firmino as playmaker in midfield and replace trent with fabinho to make solid defense .
alisson
fabinho gomez vvd robertson
keita gini firmino shaqiri
salah mana
6- never afraid to try a new play style because there are many formations and maybe liverpool get better result and best performance with 442 or 352 so it is time to take the step !

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
If the shoe was on the other foot we would be whinging like a baby with cholic over that and the lone gunmen brigade would be out shouting ref/fa/ global conspiracies against us. Yes you have to play the whistle but that still doesn't take away from the fact the goal shouldnt have stood and its a bit worrying that we needed the ref to fuck up for us to get ahead against a really shit side. Once we got ahead I think the out come was basically a foregone conclusion but upto the point of the goal we were pretty poor and they missed a guilt edged chance to score.
There is a level of pedantry with the rules that it’s not necessary to enforce. If the ball was moving, it was moving so little I don’t think it makes any appreciable difference to the outcome. Same with the correct positions of throw ins and free kicks. There is a point at which it’s taking the piss, and a margin within which you go ‘fuck it, let’s get on with the game or we’ll be here all day’. How many throw ins are correctly taken? How many times does a keeper hold the ball for more than five seconds? How often does the correct added time get added on?

With officiating I think it’s important to acknowledge that there are some things that come down to incompetence and ingrained bias. The disallowed goal at Arsenal being one - the only explanation for that is that the assistant doesn’t know the offside rule.

And then there are some things that come down to the simple fact that it is often beyond human ability to make the calls that we expect of the officials. Had Fulham’s goal stood yesterday, I’d have had no complaints. It would have been the wrong call, but the margins are so small that the linesman to some degree has to take a punt on it. Well done to him for getting it right, but there is obviously a lot of guesswork in it.

As Jürgen highlighted yesterday, the only reason there is a debate about offside is that Andy’s heel is trailing and pulling the line back a few inches. And the reason for that is that seconds earlier, a Fulham player cynically held him back to prevent him getting back in time. Klopp’s view was that is was a clever little tactic from Fulham, and it nearly came off for them, so you win some you lose some?

Last edited:

liver1

Theres no games until the 24th now and after that theres almost a game every 3-4 days until after the New Year and they come thick and fast.

So weve finished the prologue and now were about to start the main act.

We have a great platform to build on.

Mascot88

Admin
i saw fulham match
formation 541
5- liverpool should try 442 with mane and salah in front and firmino as playmaker in midfield and replace trent with fabinho to make solid defense .
alisson
salah mana
6- never afraid to try a new play style because there are many formations and maybe liverpool get better result and best performance with 442 or 352 so it is time to take the step !
I’m sorry, mate, but you keep saying this and it’s bollocks. It’s pure video game mentality.

Football at this level is played at such fine margins. You can’t just change formation every week until something sticks. New ways of playing need time to bed in and players have to learn new roles to exacting precision.

We’re getting (ridiculously) cross that the team doesn’t look fluid and aren’t connecting properly, and you want to keep wiping the tactics board clean and starting again every time we don’t batter our opponents? How do you expect Mane, Salah and Firmino to start playing that telepathic football again if you give them new instructions every week? They won’t know where they are, let alone each other...

Mascot88

Admin
Just watched the highlights again

- In the run up to the Fulham ‘goal’ the Fulham player does slightly pull back Robertson to prevent him getting back in line. Very cute, and something we’ll need to watch.

- Alisson throws the ball on the floor to take the free kick, and if the ball is moving when he takes it, it’s only doing so very slightly. I stand by my previous point, that if we’re going to half the rules applied that pedantically, it’s going to take three hours to get through a game of footy.

dockers_strike

I disagree with Klopp when he says that this season will only be judged as a success if we win the league. I think we just need to win something to remind the club and players what it's like to hold up a trophy. After their decades in the wilderness City started with an FA cup win, and it changed the mind set of the club and gave them a positive charge. Like it or not we have been in a similar wilderness in the league for nearly 30 years, and have won nothing for the last 13 years. While coming so close to trophies (league cup finals, CL last season, Stevie's slip) should be treated as positives (which of course they are), it must also be tough for players to put it behind them straight away. Maybe there is a bit of that in our CL performances this season. In terms of the premiership, some perspective is important. We are going toe to toe with a City set up that is possibly the best that the premiership has ever seen in terms of squad, training facilities, manager, budget. Despite that there is not much to choose between us at the moment, and with a tail wind we can still beat them to the title. If however they edge us by a couple of points, it is difficult to say that the season had not been successful given that the gap from last season should have closed by twenty odd points. Surely that is progress? I think the differences of opinion on forums at the moment are more about the yardstick that people judge results, and that everyone's yard stick is different. Personally I would take an FA cup win and top four finish this season in a blink, as lifting a domestic trophy would do more for club morale than falling at the last hurdle in the CL last season. I'm in this for the long game. Confidence is the ingredient 'x' that takes players and clubs to a new level, and confidence comes from winning big matches and trophies.
I think that 'champions' quote was misinterpreted by Dom King (massive evertonian football writer on the Mail) to mean league champions when Jurgen didnt mean that at all. I dont think Jurgen is stupid enough to say if he doesnt win the title, the season will not be a success. European people do not necessarily mean league winner when the talk about being 'champions,' they mean winning a trophy be that a cup, CL or league title.

Some years ago, the BBC tried to call the FA Cup Winners the 'FA Cup Champions' and were roundly ridiculed in England for doing so. Hence King putting his interpretation on Jurgen's comments.

It's my opinion that people settling for an FA Cup win are settling for second best and also run the risk of derailing the chance we have, however small it may be, of winning our first title in 29 years. I wont settle for an FA Cup win and finishing top 4 and certainly not in a blink. Im all on winning the title ahead of the CL and FA Cup. Will I be disappointed if we fail? Sure, but Im not about to settle for 2nd best now. It's got to be the big one or nothing for me.

liver1

It's my opinion that people settling for an FA Cup win are settling for second best and also run the risk of derailing the chance we have, however small it may be, of winning our first title in 29 years. I wont settle for an FA Cup win and finishing top 4 and certainly not in a blink. Im all on winning the title ahead of the CL and FA Cup. Will I be disappointed if we fail? Sure, but Im not about to settle for 2nd best now. It's got to be the big one or nothing for me.
I agree, this season is all about challenging for the title, even a CL run is not so important for me.

We may not get these opportunities that often. If we win the league just once it will lift the club back up to another level.

Ill happily sacrifice all other competitions if it helps to improve our chances in the league.

Steve_LFC

Yeah been doing well so far, but I would not play him against the top sides though. He doesn't defend too well..... and we need that from our mids as well.
Agree on his defense... Coming on as an impact sub is probably his best role against the top clubs, depending on the scoreline... A more rounded player is needed but given our lack of creativity in midfield, im not opposed to a couple starts here and there against the tougher competition.

SBYM

I'm just living the dream
Theres no games until the 24th now and after that theres almost a game every 3-4 days until after the New Year and they come thick and fast.

So weve finished the prologue and now were about to start the main act.

We have a great platform to build on.
Hear hear!!

A fecking GREAT platform. It's time to thrive or shit the bed. Can't wait, personally!!

FGred

Three points the main thing. Teams defend in numbers against us now and give us very little space, so we are only winning by a couple instead of really opening up. But we are winning. Nine wins and three draws is excellent. I still think there’s more to come from the midfield and attack, but I’m not overly concerned.

Man City sort of rain on our parade a bit, as they just keep on winning, but we’re fighting hard and I’m proud of the team.

PS - the set up is wrong up front in my opinion. Mo is central and Bobby is too deep. It should be Mo on the right, Bobby central, Sadio left. The midfield is a work in progress, but when the dust settles I expect to see Fabinho and Keita play most weeks.
I watched the city game against manure and they had so much space it was unbelievable almost as if they couldn’t care less if they lost, I firmly believe that if they do the same against us we will trounce them 8:0 but I am absolutely sure they will play a lot better against us and their tackles will be to try and maim and stop us at any cost.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
I would think that thinking you had scored a goal is quite distracting and that the ref would blow the whistle for a goal. A very understandable distraction.
I was still screaming at how stupid our defense was when I noticed that instead of it being 0-1 it was 1-0 on the score board. I was a lot more distracted than those poor Fulham players. lol

What would I do if I didn’t have you trying to contradict my posts ...... ? :rolleyes:

;-)

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
i saw fulham match
formation 541
alisson
salah mana

You’re persistent if nothing else .........

lol

Red Eyes

I agree, this season is all about challenging for the title, even a CL run is not so important for me.

We may not get these opportunities that often. If we win the league just once it will lift the club back up to another level.

Ill happily sacrifice all other competitions if it helps to improve our chances in the league.
I think we will get opportunities like this in the PL regularly going forward, and for the next few seasons the title will interchange between us and City like it did between City and Chelsea a few years back. This season though there are two things holding us back. The first is squad depth, but this is improving and by 2019-2020 we could be on a par with City after the winter and summer windows. The second is a much bigger disadvantage, it is that City know how to win. So did Real Madrid last season. If we went into next season with equal squads and managers, City would still have an advantage in this respect. You saw it yesterday against United, at 2-1 they could have panicked but instead they strung 44 passes together and scored a third. The FA cup is of course a third choice trophy, but the boost that our players, club and fans would get from winning would mean we start next season with a mindset of confident winners. It would be an important building block to win the PL next season and for many seasons to come. Hopefully we win the PL this year as everyone desperately wants, but if offered I would stick rather than twist this season if offered the FA cup / top four. I dont think it's a defeatist approach, just another building block for a club

Wilkored08

Just watched the highlights again

- In the run up to the Fulham ‘goal’ the Fulham player does slightly pull back Robertson to prevent him getting back in line. Very cute, and something we’ll need to watch.

- Alisson throws the ball on the floor to take the free kick, and if the ball is moving when he takes it, it’s only doing so very slightly. I stand by my previous point, that if we’re going to half the rules applied that pedantically, it’s going to take three hours to get through a game of footy.
Again, did the ref disallow their goal...yes...did the ref give our goal....yes...have we got 3 points...yes...for months and months we've never much luck with ref's decisions...so this time we have. Take it as a bonus!

Mascot88

Admin
Again, did the ref disallow their goal...yes...did the ref give our goal....yes...have we got 3 points...yes...for months and months we've never much luck with ref's decisions...so this time we have. Take it as a bonus!
I see it like this.

- the Fulham lads were offside. Not by much, but they were.

- probably the only reason why the offside was as close as it was, was because Robbo is fouled off the ball and cynically delayed from getting back in the line.

- the ball was barely moving as Alisson takes the free kick, and those are usually ignore. Just like every other throw is a foul throw, and free licks are never taken from the correct position. They are rarely given.

I’ll happily take a swing from a bad decision, but I see this more as the right decisions.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Fulham had a good goal disallowed, we scored probably from a free kick that should have been taken again because the ball was moving but still people claim that refs/The FA/The rest of the world conspire to undermine us. Maybe they are giving us these odd crumbs on purpose to throw us off the scent, maybe the odd decision in a game we would have won anyway is a red herring. My God, that's the answer. The fact that we are occasionally given decisions in our favour proves that refs are conspiring against us. It's all clear to me now. I was blind but now I see.

LFC7NH

Fulham had a good goal disallowed, we scored probably from a free kick that should have been taken again because the ball was moving but still people claim that refs/The FA/The rest of the world conspire to undermine us. Maybe they are giving us these odd crumbs on purpose to throw us off the scent, maybe the odd decision in a game we would have won anyway is a red herring. My God, that's the answer. The fact that we are occasionally given decisions in our favour proves that refs are conspiring against us. It's all clear to me now. I was blind but now I see.
Why is it a good goal when he was offsides? :think:

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I watched the city game against manure and they had so much space it was unbelievable almost as if they couldn’t care less if they lost, I firmly believe that if they do the same against us we will trounce them 8:0 but I am absolutely sure they will play a lot better against us and their tackles will be to try and maim and stop us at any cost.
Unfortunately I need to disagree.
Utd for some wierd reason gave City a lot of space for their midfielders to exploit, which Silva ( both of them ) happily used.
We don't have a Silva in our midfield. Klopp is trying to transform Firmino to being that person, and neither is Shaq.
The interesting thing was that City kept both Mendy and Walker back to help the CBs move the ball and break Utd's sttempts to press. Klopp's system calls for the midfielders to come down while the FBs keep pressing up field.

There shouldn't be anything considered 'lucky' about a goal scored due to a ref being correct in his decissions.
What is the world coming to?

Why is it a good goal when he was offsides? :think:
A good offside goal that most referees would have allowed after talking to the linesman and deciding Lovren had touched the ball even if Lovren isn't on the pitch at the time.
And no Gomez is not a lucky omen it's just this time the ref was correct. :well done:

LFC7NH

A good offside goal that most referees would have allowed after talking to the linesman and deciding Lovren had touched the ball even if Lovren isn't on the pitch at the time.
And no Gomez is not a lucky omen it's just this time the ref was correct. :well done:
Must really suck to be a linesman. They get nothing but shit when a tight decision is incorrect, and then when they actually do get the tight ones right, it's always "well it was really tight, probably shouldn't have flagged".

Damned if you do, damned if you don't lol

Red over the water

Hopefully by the time we play them again we have Fabinho fully up to speed. He sticks his foot in and seems the closest thing we’ve got to our own Fernandinho. On the latter, he gets away with murder game in game out. But because they have a lot of “pretty” footballers it seems the refs are blind to it.

The way Man City approached the game at Anfield tells us what they think of us. They set their stall out to contain us, which they won’t do against anyone except us, and it was a new development. They still obviously have the CL bombardment fresh in their minds, and they don’t want us to play a devastating 20 min spell against them that puts the game beyond reach.

As it happens, our style has evolved and we’re not blowing teams away in the same sort of way as last season... so far at least. But we are racking up the points at a fair old rate so it’s going to be fascinating to see how the season unfolds.

Red over the water

PS - I’m a bit fed up of the Fulham bleating.

Their “goal” was offside. Close, yes, but still offside.
As for our first goal, the ball was slightly moving when Alisson passed it out. It went the length of the pitch and wasn’t the reason for the goal, but on a technicality they can claim it shouldn’t have stood.

On the balance of play we battered them. And had either or both of those incidents gone the other way, we’d have still won the game. We were well on top, and our only problem was a bit of wastefulness. On another day we’d have scored 4+ goals. If Fulham think the difference between the sides was a moving ball and an unlucky offside decision, then more power to them!