POST MATCH: Liverpool v Fulham (EPL 11/11/18 12pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Gomez

• Van Dijk

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 65 45.1%
  • Fabinho [off 90+2’]

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Wijnaldum [off 68’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaqiri [GOAL 53’, off 81’]

Votes: 62 43.1%
  • Salah [GOAL 40’]

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Firmino

• Mane

• Henderson [on 68’]

• Milner [on 81’]

• Keita [on 90+2’]

• Total voters

T.C.B

i saw fulham match
formation 541
1- team can make many chances with one in forwards
2- team can not prevent goals with 5 defenders
3- if formation not working try another
4- if liverpool think a bout trophy then forget it and don't waste time .
5- liverpool should try 442 with mane and salah in front and firmino as playmaker in midfield and replace trent with fabinho to make solid defense .
alisson
fabinho gomez vvd robertson
keita gini firmino shaqiri
salah mana
6- never afraid to try a new play style because there are many formations and maybe liverpool get better result and best performance with 442 or 352 so it is time to take the step !
Why bother even turning up so? Why even watch the game if you think like this?

Red over the water

i saw fulham match
formation 541
1- team can make many chances with one in forwards
2- team can not prevent goals with 5 defenders
3- if formation not working try another
4- if liverpool think a bout trophy then forget it and don't waste time .
5- liverpool should try 442 with mane and salah in front and firmino as playmaker in midfield and replace trent with fabinho to make solid defense .
alisson
fabinho gomez vvd robertson
keita gini firmino shaqiri
salah mana
6- never afraid to try a new play style because there are many formations and maybe liverpool get better result and best performance with 442 or 352 so it is time to take the step !
It’s fair enough to try to generate discussion and suggest options and so on, but let’s not overdo it!

My tuppence worth is we’ve obviously tightened up at the back, and the new defensive solidity is the basis for the points haul thus far. We are still scoring goals at a decent rate, matching last season in the league in that front, as it happens. But yes, there is more to come. I think it needs a tweak, not a wholesale formation change.

Firmino needs to play centrally and higher up the pitch. Mo to his right, Mane to his left. We need to get back to that front three. Besides that, the best midfield blend is yet to emerge, but in the meantime we are doing well with the various options deployed thus far, and we have amassed a lot of points.

We need tweaks, and players to hit their best form, not wholesale formation changes, in my view.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Just watched the highlights again

- In the run up to the Fulham ‘goal’ the Fulham player does slightly pull back Robertson to prevent him getting back in line. Very cute, and something we’ll need to watch.

- Alisson throws the ball on the floor to take the free kick, and if the ball is moving when he takes it, it’s only doing so very slightly. I stand by my previous point, that if we’re going to half the rules applied that pedantically, it’s going to take three hours to get through a game of footy.
Robbo is clearly impeded by Le Marchand, preventing him from getting into position. Mitrovic is in an offside position when the ball is struck; he becomes active when he heads the ball.

Law 11 (Offside) stipulates that a player is in an offside position if: "any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent". That he might only be fractionally nearer to the Liverpool goal than Robbo, is irrelevant; he's still offside.

Similarly Law 13 (Free kicks) only stipulates that the ball must be stationary; it doesn't state for how long the ball must be stationary.

By my reckoning, in the case of Alisson, it's about 40 milliseconds. :shocked:

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I'm with you on the offside, it's offside to me plus as you mention Robertson is impeded there thus impacting play.

That ball is not stationary to be honest, but as I said how much did we not get last season?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
PS - I’m a bit fed up of the Fulham bleating.

Their “goal” was offside. Close, yes, but still offside.
As for our first goal, the ball was slightly moving when Alisson passed it out. It went the length of the pitch and wasn’t the reason for the goal, but on a technicality they can claim it shouldn’t have stood.

On the balance of play we battered them. And had either or both of those incidents gone the other way, we’d have still won the game. We were well on top, and our only problem was a bit of wastefulness. On another day we’d have scored 4+ goals. If Fulham think the difference between the sides was a moving ball and an unlucky offside decision, then more power to them!
The Fulham complaint is essentially 'we cheated fair and square, the goal should have stood', complaining about the assistant judging Robertson to have successfully reset the line to play Mitrovic offside, having been illegally restrained by Le Marchand. It is a complaint about one call being missed that is only relevant because another obvious call was missed.

liver1

Robbo is clearly impeded by Le Marchand, preventing him from getting into position. Mitrovic is in an offside position when the ball is struck; he becomes active when he heads the ball.

Law 11 (Offside) stipulates that a player is in an offside position if: "any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent". That he might only be fractionally nearer to the Liverpool goal than Robbo, is irrelevant; he's still offside.

Similarly Law 13 (Free kicks) only stipulates that the ball must be stationary; it doesn't state for how long the ball must be stationary.

By my reckoning, in the case of Alisson, it's about 40 milliseconds. :shocked:
I think realistically there should always be some leeway for offside as officials are never going to get it right when its marginal.

So for example in cricket when you go to Hawkeye, if less than 50% of the ball is clipping the wickets, it goes to the umpires original decision, whether he said out or not out.

To apply that to VAR if it ever gets implemented, I think there must be a margin of error built in, say 10cm or 20cm. If offside occurs within this range you go by the ref/linesmans original decision.

FGred

Hopefully by the time we play them again we have Fabinho fully up to speed. He sticks his foot in and seems the closest thing we’ve got to our own Fernandinho. On the latter, he gets away with murder game in game out. But because they have a lot of “pretty” footballers it seems the refs are blind to it.

The way Man City approached the game at Anfield tells us what they think of us. They set their stall out to contain us, which they won’t do against anyone except us, and it was a new development. They still obviously have the CL bombardment fresh in their minds, and they don’t want us to play a devastating 20 min spell against them that puts the game beyond reach.

As it happens, our style has evolved and we’re not blowing teams away in the same sort of way as last season... so far at least. But we are racking up the points at a fair old rate so it’s going to be fascinating to see how the season unfolds.
Spot on mate

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
Fulham cheated in blocking Robertson who still managed to position himself so that Mitrovic was offside. If the ball was just about moving when Alisson played it then that was down to over-enthusiasm to get the play going rather than deliberate cheating. Quite frankly Fulham, and particularly Jokanović, have got a fucking nerve to be making such a big deal about this issue.

jaffod

Fulham cheated in blocking Robertson who still managed to position himself so that Mitrovic was offside. If the ball was just about moving when Alisson played it then that was down to over-enthusiasm to get the play going rather than deliberate cheating. Quite frankly Fulham, and particularly Jokanović, have got a fucking nerve to be making such a big deal about this issue.
They were lucky to finish with 11 men as well.

Foldy

Only watched the highlights today and I feel massively positive about our future games. The change of formation is just what was needed. Shaqiri is a friggin steal. What a player. Salah looks like he’s got his confidence back and the front three worked better together. Trent might need a rest other than that we were spot on.

Alright Now

I full acknowledge my bias up front when it comes to Bobby. I also agree that he is not in top form. Having said that, I also do not consider the situation as dire as has been made out in many of the posts on this thread. I went back and watched the match again and I thought Bobby played well. He has clearly been called in to reinforce a midfield that is struggling with injuries and associated inconsistencies. Despite being thrown into that role, he covered the most ground in the Fulham match and keep the ball moving albeit perhaps without his usual flash. I also counted 3 real chances that he created (to Mo, Sadio, and Robo). Had two of those three resulted in goals, we'd probably be singing a different tune about our number 10. I believe Bobby had the most chances created despite not playing in his favorite position, which really has me questioning some of the claims about his not contributing.

Anyway, back to writing Bobby's biography: Bobby and Me.

Last edited:

kopend79

It feels like people are trying to argue that Fulhams goal was legit just so they can turn around and use it as proof of how bad we are. As if we were totally outclassed and without the refs we'd have lost. As for our goal, if it was reversed and Fulham had scored that against us, i'd be more dissapointed with the team for switching off than the fact that the ball was slightly moving from the restart.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
There shouldn't be anything considered 'lucky' about a goal scored due to a ref being correct in his decissions.
What is the world coming to?
The offside decision was correct but Allison played a moving ball that var would have ruled to have to be retaken so in essence it was a lucky goal

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
The offside decision was correct but Allison played a moving ball that var would have ruled to have to be retaken so in essence it was a lucky goal

That assumes that VAR would have been applied. It will only be used in certain cases and look at/for something specific i.e. the ‘offside’ issue in this case. There are no guarantees that a) it would have been applied and b) it would have picked up the moving ball incident.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
That assumes that VAR would have been applied. It will only be used in certain cases and look at/for something specific i.e. the ‘offside’ issue in this case. There are no guarantees that a) it would have been applied and b) it would have picked up the moving ball incident.
How would it not have picked up the moving ball? It was moving , it picks it up
Take your point about it not being used though as I didn't see any Fulham players make an issue about at the time because they we probably still in shock over thinking they had gone 1-0 up only to find themselves 1-0 down. God I would have loved that to happen against utd

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
Take your point about it not being used though as I didn't see any Fulham players make an issue about at the time because they we probably still in shock over thinking they had gone 1-0 up only to find themselves 1-0 down. God I would have loved that to happen against utd

You’ve answered your own question.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I’ve watched a a few times and I can’t tell if the ball is moving. If it is, it’s moving a teeny bit, and falls into the category of foul throws and free kicks taken five yards from where the foul happened. It doesn’t matter. Get on with the game.

jredp

would like to see Shaq, Firminho, Fabinho having a go at goal from distance sometimes instead of us more or less trying to walk the ball into the goal. also wish we could move the ball around more quickly as we seem ponderous a lot of the time

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
I disagree with Klopp when he says that this season will only be judged as a success if we win the league.
He was being ironic. He was referring to the underwhelming reaction to the start of our season based on City doing so well and us not playing, as he called it, 'free-flowing football'. I mentioned it in here because I think it was a comment aimed primarily at the fans, rather than the media. Most of the negative comments about the way we are playing are on fans forums not so much mainstream media.

It showed that it's seeping into the consciousness of the manager and players. Must be demoralising for them to be getting results then see City thumping everyone (except us) and a significant section of our own fanbase not give them credit for what they have so far achieved because we're 'not as good as last season'.

Agree with the rest of your post. A third successive CL qualification after years in the wilderness would be a fine achievement, especially if it involves us pushing City just a little bit harder this time round. A trophy would be great, mainly for Klopp who deserves something tangible for everything he has so far done.

Limiescouse

Why would VAR even have been reviewing those frames? It wouldn't have been reviewed as a part of reviewing Fulham's goal, and almost certainly wouldn't have been so in reviewing Mo's

costared

TIA Reserve Team
We were without doubt well worth the win and they were lucky to finish with 11 men. I just wish we would start games at a higher tempo rather than give opponents time to settle and gain some confidence. Just 10 minutes of high tempo , pressing football would see off most of the opposition, particularly those in the bottom half of the league. It is also more entertaining.

Red Eyes

Am trying to figure out what Sturridge did wrong. You probably have to take it at face value when he says that he hasn't ever gambled on football, as he is a Christian lad and any attempt to conceal the truth would be quickly found out. If that's the case, one E8 rule contravention must come from passing on information that is not publicly available. The other E8 contravention must be the part about enabling someone to bet on football transfers, as the guardian said that a blue collar worker in the midlands made a +10k bet that Daniel was on his way to Inter Milan. So did he either mention out loud to someone that he was going to Inter Milan, but then plans changed and he went to West Brom?.,, or did he deliberately deceive someone into thinking he was going to IM (unlikely)? Am a bit confused if honest

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Am trying to figure out what Sturridge did wrong. You probably have to take it at face value when he says that he hasn't ever gambled on football, as he is a Christian lad and any attempt to conceal the truth would be quickly found out. If that's the case, one E8 rule contravention must come from passing on information that is not publicly available. The other E8 contravention must be the part about enabling someone to bet on football transfers, as the guardian said that a blue collar worker in the midlands made a +10k bet that Daniel was on his way to Inter Milan. So did he either mention out loud to someone that he was going to Inter Milan, but then plans changed and he went to West Brom?.,, or did he deliberately deceive someone into thinking he was going to IM (unlikely)? Am a bit confused if honest
Question remains, does this blue collar worker know Sturridge intimately or he overheard a chatter, or eavesdrop? Even if he is Sturridge's friend, he's being pranked, tough shit. If he isn't, and he eavesdrop, tough shit too. You make a bet, you lost, you deal with it. Don't go bitching about getting the wrong information. if that's the case, all stock analyst and chief executives would have been summoned in by securities commissions for insider trading.

sms1986

We were without doubt well worth the win and they were lucky to finish with 11 men. I just wish we would start games at a higher tempo rather than give opponents time to settle and gain some confidence. Just 10 minutes of high tempo , pressing football would see off most of the opposition, particularly those in the bottom half of the league. It is also more entertaining.
They were lucky we weren't at our best, I think we'll thrash a smaller team by six or seven goals a couple of times this season.

nobluff

TIA Reserve Team
Just saw the LFC facebook video on Mo's goal.

1. Mo was NOT offside.
2. Their goal was offside.
3. Ball was on the borderline of stationary/moving, too close to call from the video.

URL of the facebook link to the video: LFC on Facebook