POST MATCH: Liverpool v Fulham (EPL 11/11/18 12pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Gomez

• Van Dijk

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 65 45.1%
  • Fabinho [off 90+2’]

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Wijnaldum [off 68’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaqiri [GOAL 53’, off 81’]

Votes: 62 43.1%
  • Salah [GOAL 40’]

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Firmino

• Mane

• Henderson [on 68’]

• Milner [on 81’]

• Keita [on 90+2’]

• Total voters

jredp

Another 3 pts on the board
Still unbeaten in the league
2 points behind a team that ran away with the league last season with record number of points and goals scored
Oh! did I mention that there is a very good video about LFC supporters mainly because the essence of the video is about our song and about LFC being a family club. Well worth watching.

LeoT

I see it like this.

- the Fulham lads were offside. Not by much, but they were.

- probably the only reason why the offside was as close as it was, was because Robbo is fouled off the ball and cynically delayed from getting back in the line.

- the ball was barely moving as Alisson takes the free kick, and those are usually ignore. Just like every other throw is a foul throw, and free licks are never taken from the correct position. They are rarely given.

I’ll happily take a swing from a bad decision, but I see this more as the right decisions.

That's why I think VAR is such a bad idea.

If a defender's hand touches the ball, were they able to see the ball? were they distracted so not expecting the ball? ? was it deliberate? were they being pushed and off balance? was the ball too close for them to move out the way?
If a player is offside, was he interfering? was he being obstructed from getting onside? did the ball touch a defender? was it a flick or a deflection?

Its all debatable, even after slowing down, zooming in, then viewed from 10 angles the pundits can't make up their mind.

VAR is just another way in which the Ref, with his 2 Linesmen, the Fourth Official, , the 2 blokes 'assisting' from behind the goal, and the 10 guys eating pies in the VAR van can fail us.

If the technology is not totally binary (e.g. goal line technology) then we shouldn't use it.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
That's why I think VAR is such a bad idea.

If a defender's hand touches the ball, were they able to see the ball? were they distracted so not expecting the ball? ? was it deliberate? were they being pushed and off balance? was the ball too close for them to move out the way?
If a player is offside, was he interfering? was he being obstructed from getting onside? did the ball touch a defender? was it a flick or a deflection?

Its all debatable, even after slowing down, zooming in, then viewed from 10 angles the pundits can't make up their mind.

VAR is just another way in which the Ref, with his 2 Linesmen, the Fourth Official, , the 2 blokes 'assisting' from behind the goal, and the 10 guys eating pies in the VAR van can fail us.

If the technology is not totally binary (e.g. goal line technology) then we shouldn't use it.
I think the offside is binary. He was off. There is no interpretation about it.

Rooster

What a hit son
I'm baffled how any Liverpool supporter can be against VAR.
Well if the A League in Oz is any indication, it's a farce. I hate it.

Goal line technology is a must, and I guess offside or blatant handball can get the decision right.

But the bit I hate is the ref going off to the sideline to view the screen.

You wait, it will cause more argument on here than ever next year.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
100% agree, though we are now entering into the space where those who think Liverpool will get some sort of fair play will be presented with tin foil hats.

Decisions have gone against us over the last few years that are laughable. And, in my view it was probably expedited by Ferguson targeting Suarez, as a diver whilst he had such experts as Ronaldo and Van Nistlerooy over the years. Compound this with Suarez activity over the few seasons and a definite bias developed against us. This was underpinned by the BBC research.
So VAR wiĺ be good for us. End of.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
VAR is not robotic, it is still down to the referee to call for review. If the referee being given the advice from the officials in the VAR room to review and he waived it, we still can't do a damn thing. So why are you so baffled? It's not the fans or the bench calling for the ref to review the decision, it's down to the referee himself. You see why some aren't too pleased?

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
VAR is not robotic, it is still down to the referee to call for review. If the referee being given the advice from the officials in the VAR room to review and he waived it, we still can't do a damn thing. So why are you so baffled? It's not the fans or the bench calling for the ref to review the decision, it's down to the referee himself. You see why some aren't too pleased?
I think I see the point though. The empirical evidence is there, an 18 point swing between LFC and Man U, last season alone and that's just a comparrison with one club. So, if VAR evens things out then it's a good thing for Liverpool.
But, then I am of the view that an innate bias exusts against LFC.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I think I see the point though. The empirical evidence is there, an 18 point swing between LFC and Man U, last season alone and that's just a comparrison with one club. So, if VAR evens things out then it's a good thing for Liverpool.
But, then I am of the view that an innate bias exusts against LFC.
VAR relies on the referee to call for review, to even things out, if the referee don't call for a review and decide after the review to our favour, we will still be out of luck. VAR still needs some tweaking and I hope they tweaked in those International "friendlies" for now until it got the entire process sorted out proper. Or else I can't see it even things out for us if we are never a referee's friend.

LeoT

I think the offside is binary. He was off. There is no interpretation about it.
Yes, on this occasion the offside was binary.
However even offside is often down to interpretation that multiple angles at normal speed and slow-mo could resolve.

Just take 2 incidents in the Spurs game last season, when the ball was played to their striker (who was offside) but one of our players touched the ball in between, then came the debate of was the defender's touch a deflection or an intentional touch? - this is totally down to interpretation, thus not a binary decision.
That game was ended with Lammela jumping towards VvD as he went to clear the ball, VvD made minimal contact (was it enough contact to bring Lamella down? - this is totally down to interpretation, thus not a binary decision.

On the whole I think VAR introduces something that delays the game and is not reliable.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Yes, on this occasion the offside was binary.
However even offside is often down to interpretation that multiple angles at normal speed and slow-mo could resolve.

Just take 2 incidents in the Spurs game last season, when the ball was played to their striker (who was offside) but one of our players touched the ball in between, then came the debate of was the defender's touch a deflection or an intentional touch? - this is totally down to interpretation, thus not a binary decision.
That game was ended with Lammela jumping towards VvD as he went to clear the ball, VvD made minimal contact (was it enough contact to bring Lamella down? - this is totally down to interpretation, thus not a binary decision.

On the whole I think VAR introduces something that delays the game and is not reliable.
Most offsides that are judged incorrectly on the field of play are not hard to get right on a reply.

Let’s be honest, and fair to the officials for a sec, I’ve always marvelled at how many they get right. Offside is an incredibly hard thing to judge, because basically you have to be looking in two directions at once - at the player making the pass and the defensive line. I know I couldn’t get that right.

So you have a lot of calls where the official gets offside wrong, just because they cannot physically do the job they are being asked to do. So you end up with a lot of incorrect offside calls which are actually clear when you see the still image. So let’s clear them up and get them sorted, cos that’s relatively simple.

Then you’re left with a tiny fraction where even still images are inconclusive, where it’s so tight that you still can’t tell when a line is superimposed on the pitch. And in those cases everyone agrees that it was impossible to call one way or the other, and you give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
Just watched the match again. On the subject of the moving ball, I’m now reasonably sure that the ball stops moving before Alisson kicks it. Alisson puts backspin on the ball which causes it to stop very quickly after touching the turf. I could of course be wrong on that. That’s just my opinion.

Last edited: