• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Genk (UCL 5/11/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Gomez

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Milner

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Wijnaldum [GOAL 14']

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Keita [off 74']

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [GOAL 53', off 74']

Votes: 67 79.8%
  • Salah

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Origi [off 89']

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Robertson [on 74']

• Mane [on 74']

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Firmino [on 89']

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red Armada

TIA Regular
As wins go, it doesn't get much less satisfying than this one.

A lot of complacency defensively to go with a lot of profligacy offensively. Their goal was sloppy as hell, they had another chance late in the second half during which their player strolled between Gomez and Van Dijk without anyone taking notice and, generally speaking, once again we just didn't look switched on. It's something that is starting to become a trend, which is a worry because we can't just flick a switch and start playing in the right way for the full 90 minutes.

Last edited:

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Not terribly impressive but got the points,and top of the group,that is all that matters for now.
Ox MOTM for me in this one.
We have to get back to killing sides off soon,City would be a fine place to start.
Maybe Klopp is lulling them into a false sense of security.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Gomez seems to have lost his composure. Not sure why. I’m hoping his form will return sooner rather than later.
In fact, defensively we have been below par all season. This new high line seems to give teams a chance.
And yet here we are, top of the champions league group, 6 points clear top of the league, quarter finals of league cup and already won super cup so it’s hard to criticise really.
But this new system we have, where we basically rarely lose but like to pretend we will is no good for my heart.

Red over the water

Job done, top of the group. We did just enough, which in a way is impressive, but on the other hand, we were vulnerable to a sucker punch since the defensive solidity isn’t what it was. So a win is a win, but meh!

I‘m sure we will play much better against Man City. I’d like to see some ruthlessness return up front, and a bit more bite at the back too. I think we will up our game on Sunday. Can’t wait.

Final word back to tonight. I’m glad Ox, Keita and Gomez played. Ox is nearing his best form and he can be a difference maker, and the shooting is a real threat because too often we try to walk it in. Keita did oK, not great, not terrible, but ok. Something to build on for him and the minutes were important. Gomez is a bit of a concern. He was fantastic last season before injury. Since coming back he hasn’t impressed. He is a good player so it’s only a matter of time, but Matip is comfortably ahead of him in the pecking order now, when fit. I’m not quite ready to say Lovren is, because he is slow and has lapses, while I know Gomez is going to improve very soon. Mind you, Lovren has done well enough when called on of late, so no complaints from me.

Mane had a rest tonight. Hopefully that puts a bit of freshness in his legs and he scores the winner on Sunday. Then again, ideally we win by more than one. Come on!

jaffod

That performance was to be expected given the strange line-up. Even so we totally dominated the game albeit against really poor opposition.
I thought we were far too complacent 1st half but just like against Salzburg we found another gear when it was needed.
Fabinho MOTM and I thought VVD and Trent were solid as well. Keita continues to disappoint and right now Lovren is deservedly getting the nod over Gomez.
Would have been nice if Napoli had won but if we don't qualify from here it'll be our own fault.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Not wanting to sound like I’m watching through rose tinted specs, but I thought the performance tonight was good. I could come up with pluses for each player’s performance in this match. A few negatives as well, but on the whole mostly pluses.
Good to see Ox and Naby get minutes under their belts. I thought Joe Gomez had his best game since coming back from his injury. Divock impressed n what I thought was his best game starting from the off rather than his cameos as a “super-sub”.
Jurgen and his team will look at this performance and will fine tune tactics etc before we face Citoil.

COYR YNWA

Libero

Thought Ox looked good playing through the middle of the front 3 and took his goal well. Did a lot of similar work to Bobby, dropping and getting the ball trying to create and run at defenders, had a good game and pleased for him.

Other than that it was a bit of a meh performance by the rest, any win is a good win at the end of the day and hopefully the lads improve on their finishing as we will need it on Saturday.

Lack of clean sheets also a bit annoying...

LFCFFC

Not wanting to sound like I’m watching through rose tinted specs, but I thought the performance tonight was good. I could come up with pluses for each player’s performance in this match. A few negatives as well, but on the whole mostly pluses.
Good to see Ox and Naby get minutes under their belts. I thought Joe Gomez had his best game since coming back from his injury. Divock impressed n what I thought was his best game starting from the off rather than his cameos as a “super-sub”.
Jurgen and his team will look at this performance and will fine tune tactics etc before we face Citoil.

COYR YNWA
Overall despite the scoreline being uncomfortably close given the gap in quality between the teams, I thought we were decent.

Putting even just one more of the many relatively easy missed chances during the first 60ish minutes in the back of the net makes it a much more comfortable game. The defending against their goal was pretty rubbish, but other then that we didn't give them much. Also, there are definitely positives personnel wise as you point out.

We're only running at about 75% of our capacity right now, but the good news is that we're still getting the results while we have significant scope for improvement.

alaskared

Kloppite
Played well but a bit too relaxed. The only time we showed urgency was the start of the second half, and ended up with Ox's goal. We should have smashed them but at the same time I'm glad no one got tired or injured.
I guess it's just job done and no complaints. Keita and Ox are getting better, nice to see Bobby and Sadio rest a little. Mo looked good and only a smidge away from great.
Onward.

Danny_

Job done. Feed the Ox and he will score. Salah is back to not being able to hit a barn door from 10 yards away. Maybe, I am being too harsh though. Even in his periods of low confidence, he still adds an extra option to us in attack that we miss when he is out. I hope he gets his mojo back for the weekend. Job well done. And now the big one. If we win it, we strike a massive early blow. If we lose, we are back in a dogfight.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I agree Commando. Truthfully I thought it was a really lopsided match everywhere but the scoreline. The first half was one of the most lopsided and uneven displays I've seen. The second half, the scoreline gave Genk belief so they went for it.

Thought Ox looked good playing through the middle of the front 3 and took his goal well. Did a lot of similar work to Bobby, dropping and getting the ball trying to create and run at defenders, had a good game and pleased for him.
Absolutely. I suggested experimenting this exact role in preseason for Ox, but someone here told me it would never happen. I am thrilled JK gave Ox a go down the middle because he has all the tools and versatility to succeed there. And I love the way he plays football. Spirited with guile, always on the move.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
What was with Sebastien Dewaest laughing and patting our boys on the head every time they missed a shot or gave the ball away? I counted 3 different times, he did it to Virg, Mo and Origi. It was annoying and our boys didn't appear amused.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Theoretically at least, Gomez is the best fit to partner VVD with the high line because of his pace. Hopefully he finds his best form soon as he should be a great asset to have given the way we are tying to play.
This will come only when they both play week in week out.
At this point, klopp prefers Degsy in the league and Gomez in the UCL. Which i find it weird.
Gomez should start in both competitions, we know how good he can be. Just the matter of playing regularly.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
What was with Sebastien Dewaest laughing and patting our boys on the head every time they missed a shot or gave the ball away? I counted 3 different times, he did it to Virg, Mo and Origi. It was annoying and our boys didn't appear amused.
I noticed that, I found it funny.
I though he was just happy playing in the biggest stage of football and having a great time. Didnt see any malice tbh.

nikz200

Ill keep it simple

• Gomez was not good today
  • Milner at the end said zonal marking with the personnel changing means people don't know what their roles are or who is guarding where.
  • Salah was involved, but finishing off today, could have scored 2 goals clear
  • Good to see Keita play
  • Ox is a important part of our game going forward.

RodM

I didn't catch the thread last night as I was dog tired at the end of the game. Ox MotM by a mile. He's one of those players that can turn a game for us and I think he was needed yesterday. I thought Gini, VVD and Fab did well. In fact Keita looked sharp in spurts.

It wasn't a bad performance by us yesterday but it was far more laboured than it needed to be. The big plus from the game was that we got the three points and managed to rest some players as well. We are going to have to get used to that given the schedule over the next couple of months.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Ox was good, Salah too but i thought some players like Milner was abit casual at times. But still....3 points, what can I say

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
We've been hearing that almost from day one and to date we have faced Leicester and all the rest of the top 6 bar City plus two good teams in Europe (yeah we lost against Napoli) and we clear at the top of the Prem and our group. At some point maybe we ought to think we do just what we have to do to win. This team is a ruthlessly efficient warhammer, not an effortless looking rapier.
Yeah certainly, our lads have risen to almost every challenge until now. Also, when talking about the defensive side of our game, I was talking about this specific defence, the one which played yesterday night. Had we had to face stronger opposition, Klopp would have selected other players.

However, I can't remember when we got our last clean sheet at Anfield. Possibly, it was last season? This should surely ring a few alarm bells before the best current attacking team in the country comes to town next Sunday? But despite of that, I've no doubt that every player of ours will massively improve his level for that game, and raise to the challenge again.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Love seeing Ox's return to full form. I'd say it's fair enough comment to make that he's back to where he left off around April 2018. 4 goals in 4 games is pretty sweet.

It's gonna be interesting what the history books will say about the evolution of Klopp's Liverpool sides. Here's my take so far:

He took an upper mid table team and dragged them into two cup finals in his first season. Then he had his first full season where he had his impact due to a full summer transfer window. We played fairly gegen pressing-ly but were far from the finished product. Our spine that would underpin our success was starting to build here though, with Mane and Bobby, Gini, Matip signed and Hendo and Milner already on board. Then came the 17-18 season, where we made a pretty innocuous signing in Salah, but it turned to be a genius move by the club. We also signed Robbo and Ox, forming a stronger spine. We were pressing like crazy from the front this season, and our firepower would simply blow teams away early on, especially at home. This was shown by results like the 5-2 vs Roma and the 3-0 vs City in the CL. However we also lacked in defence still, and would concede plenty.

We needed to fix this to achieve sustained success across a whole season. We did this by slotting in the 2nd and last pieces of the jigsaw puzzle with the massive signings of VVD and Alisson.

in 2018-19 Klopp finally had his nearly perfect 11, and it showed by a maturity not seen since the best of the Rafa days. This version of Klopp's Liverpool could do it all; destroy teams early, grind out 1-0 or 2-1 victories, and make massive comebacks (forever immortalised in the 4-0 vs Barca). I feel we didn't press as crazy in 2018-19 as opposed to 2017-18, as we had a defence we were confident in soaking up pressure, unlike in 17-18 where we had to press high up because we didn't want to rely on Moreno (in the first half of the season), Lovren, Migs or Karius to look after us.

In 2019-20 we are seeing a new formula. This team is pressing a lot, but isn't coming out of the traps crazily anymore. It is almost arrogant in its belief that it will. just. win. Like 2018-19, we are able to rely on at least one of our front 3 to be on form at any point, meaning goals are almost always guaranteed. A lack of goals has never been a problem for Klopp's Liverpool sides. This side has reached new levels of maturity, buoyed on by a taste of silverware that no other LFC team has had since the 1980's. It could even be said that this team might be the best Liverpool team ever.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
We are top of the PL, top of the CL group and have won the Super Cup so any concerns about our defending this season need to be kept in context. I do think it's reasonable though to be slightly concerned about 3 clean sheets in 19 games. We are just making things much harder for ourselves then is necessary. These are soft goals to concede, even now from set-pieces which were previously a real strong point for us. It's all a bit early 2017/18 for me. Need at least 2 goals to win a game. We are getting over the line but it is taking a lot to do it and I don't agree we were conserving energy last night. After the second goal we really stepped it up, going for the jugular but just couldn't finish them off.

Once JK sorted the defending the only consistent criticism I would have of his teams, regardless of personnel, would be the finishing. We have never been a team you would describe as 'clinical' although if we were they would probably need to introduce a handicap system just to make it fair on other teams. So many chances missed.

Anyway, enough moaning. I thought Ox was really good last night. At last you can see him driving forward with the ball and his goal was brilliantly taken. Keita did OK too. It was a good work out with City coming up. We will obviously need to play much better than this on Sunday but I am confident that we will.

kopend79

Ox is pure class. Reminds me of suarez the way he looks like he's going to create something with every touch.

I thought it was a good performance. 2-1 scoreline completly misleading.

If Naby stays fit he'll be an absolute beast for us.

Sweeting

Can anyone remember the last time we played well and convincingly won a match?
Newcastle at home 3-1 - that was the last time we've won a game and not even looked panicked or worried. Newcastle scored first but it was a one off worldie and absolutely no one in the stadium thought of it as anything other than a minor set back in a stroll to a win (they were right)