• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Genk (UCL 5/11/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Gomez

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Milner

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Wijnaldum [GOAL 14']

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Keita [off 74']

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [GOAL 53', off 74']

Votes: 67 79.8%
  • Salah

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Origi [off 89']

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Robertson [on 74']

• Mane [on 74']

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Firmino [on 89']

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sweeting

What were all the fireworks about last night?

Were the Ev celebrating Sunday's draw? ;)
It was the annual celebration of the burning of a man 400 years ago. The night when for some reason we allow any old nobody to stroll into a shop, load himself up with gun powder and light it all in his back garden with a bunch of kids.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
We've carried on much the same as we did last season, very ruthless but very tight games, take the Spurs match we played them off the park they didn't really deserve 2-1 in all honesty.

If you look at all our league games Villa probably stands out as the one you expect would not be tight but was, the rest run to form bar maybe Southampton. Can't see any team smash Sheffield United out of the park at Brammell Lane unless they drop in form badly.

But yeah this is the same as we were from about February onwards last season, our last really convincing game was at home to Barca which bodes well for the weekend. The crowd was a bit flat first half yesterday as well, so hopefully we create the atmosphere of a few years back when we won 4-3. I was at Anfield that day so I know how good it was.

Flobs

FADA
Trent’s defending alarms me at times. His winger seemed to get lots of space tonight. He needs to be much tighter on Sunday.
Also his defending really pleases me at times. When he gets those timely foot in to steal the ball just before an attacker shoots. Wonderful stuff i really apreciate the great anticipation and timing for such a young player.
Yes positionally he's not always great often due to being so high up the pitch and he's not the fastest fullback in the world (far from it) but I think he makesup for it in other defensive attributes he has.
He needs to be tighter to who on sunday? :oops:

Limiescouse

I keep seeing references to our new high line giving us problems. Where is this coming from? This is a standard element of a Klopp side as you cannot effectively press without a high line?

Interesting move with the OX and while only watching snippets of the game it appeared to have worked. Despite his goals in recent weeks, Klopp clearly hasnt been happy with his overall performance in midfield. In that role, isolated moments of quality and doing good things on the ball are not enough if you are working hard enough and smart enough without the ball. I wonder whether this is just a short term solution to get him minutes and sharpness or to rest Bobby, or whether there is a thought of using him this way moving forward. It is interesting that he appeared to be better suited to the role than the wider role that he has far more experience in.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
It was the annual celebration of the burning of a man 400 years ago. The night when for some reason we allow any old nobody to stroll into a shop, load himself up with gun powder and light it all in his back garden with a bunch of kids.
You will be relieved to know that only his genitals got burned

He was drawn backwards to his death, by a horse, his head near the ground. His genitals were cut off and burnt before his eyes, and his bowels and heart removed. He was then decapitated, and the dismembered parts of his body displayed so that they might become "prey for the fowls of the air".

Sounds like he got off lightly. ;).

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
That first half hour was all too easy, which almost led to our downfall. If I am honest, I never thought Genk would have scored, but once they did it took by so much surprise it knocked us out of our stride giving Genk further encouragement. It also surprised me how many poor passes were made by Milly, which is really unusual for him. I have to admit to being happy on hearing the half-time whistle blow.

Going by the way the lads started the second half, having upped the tempo, I would say Jürgen had many the odd word or two to say in the dressing room. It has to be admitted that our defending at times was poor, but thankfully Genk were poor finishes as well as Ally playing a good game. It was because of this that I gave Ally the MotM.

Flobs

FADA

He was drawn backwards to his death, by a horse, his head near the ground. His genitals were cut off and burnt before his eyes, and his bowels and heart removed. He was then decapitated, and the dismembered parts of his body displayed so that they might become "prey for the fowls of the air".

Sounds like some crazed madmen got hold of him. :cry:

cynicaloldgit

Offside by an armpit
Ad-free Member
Sounds like what some people here would do to Lovren if he scored an own goal.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

You are right, that is far more enticing than watching the bitters.

Red over the water

This will come only when they both play week in week out.
At this point, klopp prefers Degsy in the league and Gomez in the UCL. Which i find it weird.
Gomez should start in both competitions, we know how good he can be. Just the matter of playing regularly.
I‘d like to see Gomez play more regularly too. At the start of the season I called for his regular partnership with VVD to resume as I think it has got the lot. Matip got the nod, and I couldn’t really argue with that as he was playing well. Given his niggly injury record I thought it would just be a matter of time until Gomez was in anyway.

Fast forward to now and Lovren is getting the nod over Gomez in some games, and instead of responding to the challenge with his best form to make an irresistible case for himself, there are a couple question marks over Joe.

Personally I would stick Gomez in alongside VVD and persist with it, so the two of them can work it out again. It’s our best defensive partnership assuming everyone is fit and on form, and I’m hoping we get to it again soon.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
To be fair, Fawkes did not have to pay for a ticket or come back again the next match.
To be honest poor old Guido would find it hard playing left back while seated on top of a teepee of bommy wood.

Phather Fil

Drrrrink!!!
I agree. His finishing was poor for a player of his standards. There again, I thought the best goal of the night was the one Genk scored, although the Ox's was pretty decent.
Mo looks hesitant in the box, taking too much time on the ball or snatching at it, or looking for a pass that isn't there. He needs to get his mojo back and trust in that left foot. (As Bob said... if you're unsure what to do in the box, stick the ball in the net and we'll talk about it later).

Incognito

The Normal One
Mo looks hesitant in the box, taking too much time on the ball or snatching at it, or looking for a pass that isn't there. He needs to get his mojo back and trust in that left foot. (As Bob said... if you're unsure what to do in the box, stick the ball in the net and we'll talk about it later).
Agree with what you said. However, the last line at times has become his obsession (and it should be because he's a striker) but there are many times excellent options available to him, which he fails to check. Just his decision making might have dropped at the moment, combined with his ruthless goal scoring and it'll be back for sure. Not the first time it has happened.

The good thing is, even with this supposedly 'dropped' level of his, his absence is pretty evident when he's not in the team. He is always involved wanting the ball and making things happen and that has helped Mane a lot. Always a nuisance for the defenders and take away attention from the likes of Bobby, mane and our full backs.

Commando

Ad-free Member

Oops, my poor attempt at humour seems to have missed the mark.

I read earlier in the week that he jumped from the scaffold before they could hang (slowly strangulate) him. The jump and subsequent drop broke his neck, killing him instantly.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
I read earlier in the week that he jumped from the scaffold before they could hang (slowly strangulate) him. The jump and subsequent drop broke his neck, killing him instantly.
You're correct, Guy did jump. However the other conspirators, who are always forgotten about, suffered the fate I described. I bought a really interesting book in a charity shop recently by Antonia Fraser called The Gunpowder Plot: Terror and Faith in 1605.

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
don't want the 'clean sheets' to become something of a negative analysis, so I would be happy if we won every game by a margin of two or more. After all the players are human and mistakes happen, C'est la vie ! Important is as long as we win without needing any heart problems other than excitment

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I keep seeing references to our new high line giving us problems. Where is this coming from? This is a standard element of a Klopp side as you cannot effectively press without a high line?
It is down to VAR.

Linesmen are not flagging for offside, under instruction to let play continue and let VAR sort it out. However, VAR will only get involved if the ball ends up in the back of the net, so

- if a team has a near miss or gets a shot away, the illusion is created that they have beaten our high line. In reality, they were offside.

- if the ball doesn’t end up in the back of the net, but the team retains possession high up the pitch, they have basically got away with it and haven’t been penalised for the offence.

The end result of both those scenarios if that it looks like we’re dodgy on set pieces, when it’s actually the linesman not doing their bollocking job.

Limiescouse

It is down to VAR.

Linesmen are not flagging for offside, under instruction to let play continue and let VAR sort it out. However, VAR will only get involved if the ball ends up in the back of the net, so

- if a team has a near miss or gets a shot away, the illusion is created that they have beaten our high line. In reality, they were offside.

- if the ball doesn’t end up in the back of the net, but the team retains possession high up the pitch, they have basically got away with it and haven’t been penalised for the offence.

The end result of both those scenarios if that it looks like we’re dodgy on set pieces, when it’s actually the linesman not doing their bollocking job.
That might explain why our high line now appears to be giving us problems, but it doesnt explain why so many people are commenting on the line itself being a new approach.