Post Match: Liverpool v Huddersfield (EPL 26/4/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 88’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

• Van Dijk

• Robertson

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Wijnaldum [off 73’]

• Henderson

• Keita [GOAL 1’]

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Mane [GOAL 23’, GOAL 66’]

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Sturridge [off 73’]

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Salah [GOAL 45+1’, GOAL 83’]

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [On 73’]

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Shaqiri [on 73’]

• Gomez [on 88’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Libero

Great game. Early goal settled things and made it an enjoyable watch. This team has been fantastic this year and have been a pleasure to watch. Salah my MotM.

Hopefully we get a slice of luck and city drop points.

Onto Barca, which I can’t wait for.

Commando

I am proud of the effort that my team have put in this season. As a club we are in the best position both fiscally and on the field that we have been in for a generation. JK has inspired an almost perfect league and CL campaign. It's therefore gutting to have a club potentially spoiling our title fight through it's blatant FFP workarounding. IF citeh finish with more points than we manage to get I will give them absolutely no credit whatsoever for doing so because they will have cheated in doing it. If that makes me sound bitter, well you are right on the money. I hate cheats. Lovely performance tonight btw ☺
Spot on. :well done:

Gawd I hope so.
That should be spelled Gwlad I hope so. As in the Gwladys St.

You forgot the most influential stat of @Scott Jones his 100% pre-match thread record. #championsform lol
Don't jinx it @AussieLad. :shocked:

TheSweetSilverSong

Brilliant from the team again, fantastic result without too much sweat. :-)
91 points collected with 2 games to go, and top of the league to keep the pressure on City - Job done!
Normally, with 2 goals and 1 assist, the MOTM goes to Salah. I could be sentimental and give it to Keita for the fastest goal in our premier league history, who is building on every good performance every game now, or to give it to Robbo for another great performance and the 2 assists, but since Salah has just achieved an unbelievable feat of surpassing Hunt in most goals scored in the first 100 games - was 1 behind before the game at 67, and reached 69 with his brace tonight, then it's no question for me!
Great performance by Mo overall to boot!
Can't understand how he's not in the PFA's season's best 11, running away with the golden boot probably. People argue who should he replace, Aguero or Sterling, well, my answer would be either of the two, who cares, he has had another phenomenal season of goals.
Compared to Aguero/Sterling, Salah has:

Goals involved 29 vs 27/27
Goals 21 vs 19/17
Assists 8 vs 8/10
Big chances created 14 vs 5/12
Through Balls 16 vs 4/6
Penalties won 4 vs 0/2

I can't understand all the fuss coming out by media (and reproduced by football fans) about Salah this season, right from the off, which probably got to him at some point where he had a run of games without scoring (still playing very well and working well, doing everything but the finish, and then the goals came again - but if Sterling or Aguero would not score for a few games, there would be no talk about it to mess them up). Salah at least as good, arguably better than any of the two this season, but talked down and not voted in the best team of the league. Hope he wins the golden boot just to mess them up. He's been simply phenomenal ever since he came to our club as far as I'm concerned, and deserves nothing but huge credit for it!

The other player that for me is simply the best in his position in the League. People argue that clean sheets doesn't automatically mean best keeper, because defences play a big role in that, and I do agree, but Allison simply surpasses Ederson in other key stats as well:
Compared to Ederson, Allison has:

Clean sheets: 18 vs 16
Goals Conceded: 20 vs 22
Saves: 67 vs 50
Saves per match: 1.86 vs 1.43
Saves Percentage: 77.01% vs 69.44%
High Claims: 16 vs 16
Sweeper Clearances: 16 vs 16
Aerial Battles won: 9 vs 11
Errors leading to goals: 3 vs 0

If Ederson is the best of the league for the last two stats, that's selective - Allison is better in pretty much almost every other stat there, and my most important stat would be saves percentage, where there's a big difference. I'd like to see a stat about points earned or lost by saves or mistakes respectively, as I think that Allison should have the edge there as well (I don't think any of his 3 mistakes that caused goals lost us points, and I do think that so many of his saves earned us points, quite positive it would be a better number than Ederson's for City).

But that parenthesis is starting to get too big, so back to the game.
A bit worried to see Firmino not starting due to injury, relieved to hear it's not serious, but still trembling a bit if it ends up with him missing further games or not being able to play 100%, but hope it's just the normal paranoia that can creep in by such news. Hope that Bobby will be Bobby as Klopp says, and come back vs Barca and do what he does for us, my personal favourite player, I can't say it enough.
Lovely to see that Ox can come for 20 minutes in games now and impact the game, and that Shaq can influence the game off the bench as well (hope he can show the same vs better teams than Huddersfield though, but from what I've seen tonight I'm positive he can).
Very encouraged by Keita's performance as well! Great to see him compete for the ball so much, and to improve game by game.

On my last two points I come back at after every game in this Run-in:
1) So we lost the mini series of the last 3 of our games vs top 6 compared to City, as we managed 7 out of 9 while City did 9 out of 9. Have to say that the timing was unfortunate - us having to play United when they were in their honeymoon with their new manager, having won about 10 out of 11 or 12 or something at the time in the League, while City's game should have been around the same period but was pushed forward to a period where Utd had lost 6 of their last 8 games in all comps, with honeymoon period simply over, and couldn't compete... Also unfortunate that Spurs did deny City a win, but not in the league... So with the 2 points fewer, we find ourselves needing City to fail in one of their 3 games vs lesser opposition and us winning our last 2 games. Which brings me to:

2) Winning streaks. I did say I consider it difficult but not unlikely for us to get 9 in a row and equal our season's best of 9, and I did say I consider it quite unlikely for City to get 14 in a row, something they haven't done this season and something I don't remember any team doing in a run in. We're in 7 in a row, and City is currently in 11 in a row (which is admittedly already quite a feat - still, from 11 to 14 it's a really different story, and Burnley, Leicester and probably relegation fighting Brighton at home may prove to be harder than Chelsea, Spurs and Utd have been for City). Let's see.
Our last two games won't be a walk in the park either - Newcastle away won't be easy unless we play our best, and Wolves, even at home will be a difficult game.

Everything still to play for, and absolutely proud to be witnessing this season, such a joy to watch and support this incredible team!

Last edited:

Commando

I thought that Naby (amongst a few others) was fantastic tonight. I went for him as MOTM. But there were a few others that were in with a big shout for it. Credit to Huddersfield and their manager for their approach to tonight's match. Barring Naby's goal I thought that they had the best of the first twenty or so minutes. They had three or four corners and looked more likely to score. If I'm not mistaken they had a goal bound shot deflected for a corner as well. I have to say that if Mo hadn't gone to NYC in the week he wouldn't have been so tired and would probably have played better than his two goals and one assist show in tonight's performance lol. Sadio really reminds me of Kevin Keegan. Not that he has a curly perm or anything. Just how high he can jump from a standing position. What an athlete. Dejan was solid tonight.

I could eulogise all night about this team. I've not got through the staring eleven and haven't even mentioned the subs. Sufficed to say all were what we've come to expect from our team under Jurgen's (and his amazing backroom staff's) leadership.

COYR YNWA

dockers_strike

Within 15 seconds of the kick off, I knew we were going back top of the league. Then, for the next 15 or so minutes, I wondered if we were still going to be there by the final whistle. It was really strange, the goal seemed to kill the atmosphere inside the ground and, gave a kind of belief to the players that they didnt really need to concentrate much.

It might sound daft to say it but after that first goal, we were really poor and Huddersfield really pushed us back into our last third of the pitch. It wasnt that we looked nervous, we looked and were, careless. Silly little flicks, hurried passes that went straight to Huddersfield's players. No disrespect to Hudderfield, their lads did their best and never really gave up but, a better team would have really punished us in that period.

Slowly though, the players seemed to realise they needed to concentrate to punish Huddersfield and started to assert their quality. I dont know what it was really, was the Barcelona game at the back of their minds and the first goal in 15 seconds made them think about it a little too much?

Naby is looking more and more like the player we shelled out over £50m for. It took another 20 or so minutes before Sadio leapt like a salmon to nod in number 2 and get everyone back on script. Can someone please come up with a better song for the lad? By the end of the night he must be wondering how Bobby's song who wasnt even playing and, Mo's song get sung with gusto while all he gets is a lame 'Oh! Mane! Mane!' Id be well hacked off if I were him.

We then had to wait for moments before half time for Mo to score with a lovely lob over the keeper. If anyone had doubts where the 3 points were headed, they didnt now. It was just a question of how many we could get in the 2nd half. The answer was 3 although unfortunately for Studge the offside flag was up so, what potentially was his last ever goal for Liverpool at Anfield was chalked off.

Sadio leapt like a salmon again to nod in the 4th and his second of the night, In fact he was desparately close to a headed hattrick when another came back off the post. Mo has an easy tap in to make it 5 on the night.

It was great to see Ox make his comeback and was also desparately unlucky to see the keeper smother his goal bound shot. Bit more power and it might have got past him. The shaq also got on with Ox and had some nice touches.

So yet again, we've answered city's question can we go toe to toe and the answer was yes, we can. Can Burnley, Leicester or Brighton do us a favour? I dont know and you have to say they arent the teams you'd like city to have to face with 3 games to play but, those are the cards we've been dealt. I'll still believe until it's not possible. Come on Burnley.

MoTM was Sadio for me. Worked his socks off all night, leaps like a salmon and needs a new friggin song! I cannot believe Sadio is only on 14 votes after tonight's game and 1 of those votes is mine!

Commando

Brilliant from the team again, fantastic result without too much sweat. :-)
91 points collected with 2 games to go, and top of the league to keep the pressure on City - Job done!
Normally, with 2 goals and 1 assist, the MOTM goes to Salah. I could be sentimental and give it to Keita for the fastest goal in our premier league history, who is building on every good performance every game now, or to give it to Robbo for another great performance and the 2 assists, but since Salah has just achieved an unbelievable feat of surpassing Hunt in most goals scored in the first 100 games - was 1 behind before the game at 67, and reached 69 with his brace tonight, then it's no question for me!
Great performance by Mo overall to boot!
Can't understand how he's not in the PFA's season's best 11, running away with the golden boot probably. People argue who should he replace, Aguero or Sterling, well, my answer would be either of the two, who cares, he has had another phenomenal season of goals.
Compared to Aguero/Sterling, Salah has:

Goals involved 29 vs 27/27
Goals 21 vs 19/17
Assists 8 vs 8/10
Big chances created 14 vs 5/12
Through Balls 16 vs 4/6
Penalties won 4 vs 0/2

I can't understand all the fuss coming out by media (and reproduced by football fans) about Salah this season, right from the off, which probably got to him at some point where he had a run of games without scoring (still playing very well and working well, doing everything but the finish, and then the goals came again - but if Sterling or Aguero would not score for a few games, there would be no talk about it to mess them up). Salah at least as good, arguably better than any of the two this season, but talked down and not voted in the best team of the league. Hope he wins the golden boot just to mess them up. He's been simply phenomenal ever since he came to our club as far as I'm concerned, and deserves nothing but huge credit for it!

The other player that for me is simply the best in his position in the League. People argue that clean sheets doesn't automatically mean best keeper, because defences play a big role in that, and I do agree, but Allison simply surpasses Ederson in other key stats as well:
Compared to Ederson, Allison has:

Clean sheets: 18 vs 16
Goals Conceded: 20 vs 22
Saves: 67 vs 50
Saves per match: 1.86 vs 1.43
Saves Percentage: 77.01% vs 69.44%
High Claims: 16 vs 16
Sweeper Clearances: 16 vs 16
Aerial Battles won: 9 vs 11
Errors leading to goals: 3 vs 0

If Ederson is the best of the league for the last two stats, that's selective - Allison is better in pretty much almost every other stat there, and my most important stat would be saves percentage, where there's a big difference. I'd like to see a stat about points earned or lost by saves or mistakes respectively, as I think that Allison should have the edge there as well (I don't think any of his 3 mistakes that caused goals lost us points, and I do think that so many of his saves earned us points, quite positive it would be a better number than Ederson's for City).

But that parenthesis is starting to get too big, so back to the game.
A bit worried to see Firmino not starting due to injury, relieved to hear it's not serious, but still trembling a bit if it ends up with him missing further games or not being able to play 100%, but hope it's just the normal paranoia that can creep in by such news. Hope that Bobby will be Bobby as Klopp says, and come back vs Barca and do what he does for us, my personal favourite player, I can't say it enough.
Lovely to see that Ox can come for 20 minutes in games now and impact the game, and that Shaq can influence the game off the bench as well (hope he can show the same vs better teams than Huddersfield though, but from what I've seen tonight I'm positive he can).
Very encouraged by Keita's performance as well! Great to see him compete for the ball so much, and to improve game by game.

On my last two points I come back at after every game in this Run-in:
1) So we lost the mini series of the last 3 of our games vs top 6 compared to City, as we managed 7 out of 9 while City did 9 out of 9. Have to say that the timing was unfortunate - us having to play United when they were in their honeymoon with their new manager, having won about 10 out of 11 or 12 or something at the time in the League, while City's game should have been around the same period but was pushed ahead to a period where Utd had lost 6 of their last 8 games in all comps, with honeymoon period simply over, and couldn't compete... Also unfortunate that Spurs did deny City a win, but not in the league... So with the 2 points fewer, we find ourselves needing City to fail in one of their 3 games vs lesser opposition and us winning our last 2 games. Which brings me to:

2) Winning streaks. I did say I consider it difficult but not unlikely for us to get 9 in a row and equal our season's best of 9, and I did say I consider it quite unlikely for City to get 14 in a row, something they haven't done this season and something I don't remember any team doing in a run in. We're in 7 in a row, and City is currently in 11 in a row (which is admittedly already quite a feat - still, from 11 to 14 it's a really different story, and Burnley, Leicester and probably relegation fighting Brighton at home may prove to be harder than Chelsea, Spurs and Utd have been for City). Let's see.
Our last two games won't be a walk in the park either - Newcastle away won't be easy unless we play our best, and Wolves, even at home will be a difficult game.

Everything still to play for, and absolutely proud to be witnessing this season, such a joy to watch and support this incredible team!
Absolutely brilliant post @TheSweetSilverSong.

How can you be so eloquent and lucid after tonight's performance and being in the position we are now in?

I'm a burbling wreck. I don't mind admitting it. Although as a leveller, I will say that this has been the most enjoyable season (whatever the outcome) of my life. I grew up ( born in 1960) watching The Reds win things. Although my first real footy memory is the 71 cup final against Arsenal. I was spoiled later though with UEFA Cups, European cups, FA cups, League cups and League trophies a'plenty. I became accustomed to winning things (especially The League). I just want us to win it again. It may sound arrogant of me, but I'd much rather win the League than the ECL. I'm old enough to remember the fuss the papers made over Uniturd's first leagu win in twenty eight years. My next door neighbour was a many (manky twat) and had the Mirror front page in his window "we've done it". Let's see the front page on May 13th.

Red over the water

Great win
I’m bolloxed
Sturridge is done as top class forward . It’s been great but you need to move on lad
Klopp did his best to give Sturridge a send off. Plenty of time to score, but not quite there.

For a couple of seasons he was brilliant, but basically his body has been at odds with the physical demands of being a top footballer for some time now. I’m sure his time at Anfield is coming to a close and a new deal will not be offered. If and when his plans are confirmed, good luck to him.

Shame he couldn’t sign off with a goal, but if we do end up winning the league by a point, his world class goal at Chelsea will have made a massive difference to the outcome of the season.

TheSweetSilverSong

Absolutely brilliant post @TheSweetSilverSong.

How can you be so eloquent and lucid after tonight's performance and being in the position we are now in?

I'm a burbling wreck. I don't mind admitting it. Although as a leveller, I will say that this has been the most enjoyable season (whatever the outcome) of my life. I grew up ( born in 1960) watching The Reds win things. Although my first real footy memory is the 71 cup final against Arsenal. I was spoiled later though with UEFA Cups, European cups, FA cups, League cups and League trophies a'plenty. I became accustomed to winning things (especially The League). I just want us to win it again. It may sound arrogant of me, but I'd much rather win the League than the ECL. I'm old enough to remember the fuss the papers made over Uniturd's first leagu win in twenty eight years. My next door neighbour was a many (manky twat) and had the Mirror front page in his window "we've done it". Let's see the front page on May 13th.
Cheers mate! I guess writing down thoughts helps when being a wreck (which is how I feel at times too during all this Run-in), but what a lovely "wreck" it is to be too, isn't it? :-)

I feel the same about cashing in the performances with the trophies! And while I know it sounds greedy of me to insist on not choosing between EPL and CL, and wanting to win both, I'd actually put it this way to explain why it's not greedy: Let's keep performing to this level, and whatever we can win by playing this way, we'll welcome with all our hearts!
So for now, all focus vs Barca!

Commando

Cheers mate! I guess writing down thoughts helps when being a wreck (which is how I feel at times too during all this Run-in), but what a lovely "wreck" it is to be too, isn't it? :-)

I feel the same about cashing in the performances with the trophies! And while I know it sounds greedy of me to insist on not choosing between EPL and CL, and wanting to win both, I'd actually put it this way to explain why it's not greedy: Let's keep performing to this level, and whatever we can win by playing this way, we'll welcome with all our hearts!
So for now, all focus vs Barca!
Exactly, I couldn't have put it better.

COYR YNWA

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Can’t sleep. Met with a couple of proper gentlemen today. @ptt and @Red_Jedi are right legends, couldn’t be happier to have met you both today.

Started off the day with an early wake-up in a little village in the foothills of Stockport, at the home of a family of Reds fans whom my wife worked with 20-odd years ago in Toronto. Had breakfast and packed up, off we went to the train to make our way to Liverpool. Forgot my pack at the house, had to backtrack and lost an hour of the day. Shit start. Wasn’t raining tho, still promising.

Got checked into our spot near the CBD, pint at the Lion Tavern (recommendation from board member) and another at Cavern Club. Got a taste of the culture, city had a nice feel to it and quite friendly folks. 4pm headed back to hotel and said goodbye to the family for the night. While on the curb deciding on transport, met a group of eight Germans from the Black Forest region who flew in via Frankfurt to see Klopp in action. So I split a cab with half of them to the Kop end, such a friendly lot! Cab driver was a season ticket holder, we were his last fare of the day.

Walked over to hotel TIA to connect with @ptt. Put a few more pints out of their misery. @Red_Jedi arrived shortly after, caught the tail end of some excellent Jamie Webster tunes, off to Kop Bar! Another pint in there just for quality [email protected]_Jedi recommended I get inside and watch the warmup (thanks, you were very right). Got to see the lads up close, including a preview of Grabara, looks a proper talent that young keeper!

Got into the ground and made my way to the seat. Blown away. Speechless. Couldn’t even post to the pre-match thread, was so enamoured by the atmosphere of it all. My seat was front row of seats in the Kop, from the TV camera angle I would have been just on the far side of the goal in my toxic orange Firmino jersey.

Soaked it all up, chatted with those around me in the stand a bit Took some pics and a few vids to remember it all then put the phone away and watched and absorbed the warmup. Kop was warming up as well, I was trying to keep up with the vocals but I am shit for lyrics of any kind. Then the Pacemakers came on, Kop went into full song and I was enraptured in the moment. Eyes closed, full voice and heart was full. Bucket list shit, right there. Had to fight back the tears of joy. Then the whistle blew.

GOAL!!!! what felt like 10 seconds into the match! Kop roared again, I was in heaven. Thank you Naby. You’re a rock star.

Songs are coming fast and furious now. Watching our back line in the first half, quickly saw the Van Dijk effect. The man is so smooth, his game intelligence is like nothing I’d seen before in person. He is just that good at reading the play, that he rarely has to move at full potential. Cruises around the pitch like a Bentley. Lovren no slouch, but Huddersfield wanted nothing to do with VvD so Degsy was in the trenches quite often. Quite solid performance other than his shot from 8 yds which nearly went out for a throw. Kop collective chuckle ensued.

Two more goals in the first half, still trying to keep up with the voices behind me. Enjoying the match immensely albeit from an angle pitchside which felt almost eye-level with center circle when sitting. Stood for entire second half, kept the jacket off as I had the warmth of the Kop keeping the shivers at bay.

Two more goals in the second half to seal it. Trying to take it all in, snap off a few photos without looking like a tourist. Grabbed another pint post-match in Kop Bar and opted to split a taxi back to Lime St with @ptt as we were aiming to keep the wives happy.

All told, it was a day I will never forget.

Will be back at Anfield in 9hrs to do the stadium tour.

Good night all and thank you all for contributing to this wonderful experience that was today. Cheers!

Semmy

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Good game,sure it was Huddersfield,but they came to play football,good for them!
Really proud of our lads today,MOTM a big ask for me,Keita,Mane,Mo,Ox( going so close on his first game back),Robbo,the man's a dynamo!
In the end Robbo!
Keita is starting to look like he will be worth every penny we paid for him.
The ball in the back of the net inside a few seconds is a little demoralising.
Bring on Barca!
First of all we need Burnley to do a bit of a job for us.

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
Great result. Well played lads. Shame Mane couldn't get a hatrick of headed goals.

Was actually quite impressed with the way Huddersfield pressed at times and thought they gave it a good shot. Gulf in class just too much though.

Too many to choose from for man of the match.

Bring on Barca!

Joe Gomez x

Credit where credit is due to Huddersfield. Tried to play football which is a rarity in away teams coming to Anfield. Brilliant to see Oxlade make his return after a year out of football, nearly and probably should of scored in all fairness lol. Buzzing to see City versus Burnley and hoping Dyche can master a Brexit football attitude to his game and get a point out of the plastics.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Tempted to give MoM to Keita, simply for making it so much more relaxing that some recent encounters - as some have posted above, maybe too relaxing in the first 15 minutes. But I also love that defensive work rate at 51 minutes when he comes back and overhauls what looked like it was going to be a nasty chance. I think it is really all clicking for him now.

But I have to go with Mane. Not sure what was up with his low-key dead-serious celebrations tonight - right to business, pay respects to the providers, get on with it. Made me think of some sort of Terminator android optimized for heading the ball into goal, stone cold killer tonight. Van Dijk gets a lot of praise as the player of the season, but Mane has been such a difference maker in what was our lowest period of the whole season, first part of 2019, and now some silverware is coming into focus for him. He wants a goal at the Camp Nou, tonight was just calibration.

...and Salah was damn near as good as he has ever been.

Firing on all cylinders for the pointy end of the season.