• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Huddersfield (EPL 26/4/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 88’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

• Van Dijk

• Robertson

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Wijnaldum [off 73’]

• Henderson

• Keita [GOAL 1’]

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Mane [GOAL 23’, GOAL 66’]

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Sturridge [off 73’]

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Salah [GOAL 45+1’, GOAL 83’]

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [On 73’]

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Shaqiri [on 73’]

• Gomez [on 88’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Can’t sleep. Met with a couple of proper gentlemen today. @ptt and @Red_Jedi are right legends, couldn’t be happier to have met you both today.

Started off the day with an early wake-up in a little village in the foothills of Stockport, at the home of a family of Reds fans whom my wife worked with 20-odd years ago in Toronto. Had breakfast and packed up, off we went to the train to make our way to Liverpool. Forgot my pack at the house, had to backtrack and lost an hour of the day. Shit start. Wasn’t raining tho, still promising.

Got checked into our spot near the CBD, pint at the Lion Tavern (recommendation from board member) and another at Cavern Club. Got a taste of the culture, city had a nice feel to it and quite friendly folks. 4pm headed back to hotel and said goodbye to the family for the night. While on the curb deciding on transport, met a group of eight Germans from the Black Forest region who flew in via Frankfurt to see Klopp in action. So I split a cab with half of them to the Kop end, such a friendly lot! Cab driver was a season ticket holder, we were his last fare of the day.

Walked over to hotel TIA to connect with @ptt. Put a few more pints out of their misery. @Red_Jedi arrived shortly after, caught the tail end of some excellent Jamie Webster tunes, off to Kop Bar! Another pint in there just for quality [email protected]_Jedi recommended I get inside and watch the warmup (thanks, you were very right). Got to see the lads up close, including a preview of Grabara, looks a proper talent that young keeper!

Got into the ground and made my way to the seat. Blown away. Speechless. Couldn’t even post to the pre-match thread, was so enamoured by the atmosphere of it all. My seat was front row of seats in the Kop, from the TV camera angle I would have been just on the far side of the goal in my toxic orange Firmino jersey.

Soaked it all up, chatted with those around me in the stand a bit Took some pics and a few vids to remember it all then put the phone away and watched and absorbed the warmup. Kop was warming up as well, I was trying to keep up with the vocals but I am shit for lyrics of any kind. Then the Pacemakers came on, Kop went into full song and I was enraptured in the moment. Eyes closed, full voice and heart was full. Bucket list shit, right there. Had to fight back the tears of joy. Then the whistle blew.

GOAL!!!! what felt like 10 seconds into the match! Kop roared again, I was in heaven. Thank you Naby. You’re a rock star.

Songs are coming fast and furious now. Watching our back line in the first half, quickly saw the Van Dijk effect. The man is so smooth, his game intelligence is like nothing I’d seen before in person. He is just that good at reading the play, that he rarely has to move at full potential. Cruises around the pitch like a Bentley. Lovren no slouch, but Huddersfield wanted nothing to do with VvD so Degsy was in the trenches quite often. Quite solid performance other than his shot from 8 yds which nearly went out for a throw. Kop collective chuckle ensued.

Two more goals in the first half, still trying to keep up with the voices behind me. Enjoying the match immensely albeit from an angle pitchside which felt almost eye-level with center circle when sitting. Stood for entire second half, kept the jacket off as I had the warmth of the Kop keeping the shivers at bay.

Two more goals in the second half to seal it. Trying to take it all in, snap off a few photos without looking like a tourist. Grabbed another pint post-match in Kop Bar and opted to split a taxi back to Lime St with @ptt as we were aiming to keep the wives happy.

All told, it was a day I will never forget.

Will be back at Anfield in 9hrs to do the stadium tour.

Good night all and thank you all for contributing to this wonderful experience that was today. Cheers!

Semmy
Was brilliant to meet your good self and @Red_Jedi, a most excellent fellow with a great family :) It was magic that you came all this way and got to see a team properly put to the sword. That’s what it’s all about after all. Well, that and great new friends! Hope the tour goes well today.

As for the game, utterly superb. A perfect warm up for Barca. “How did Liverpool do on Friday night?” you can imagine the players asking (as we all do about the next team). “Erm, they blew a team to pieces”. Hope that goes down like a lead pie in Spain. No injuries and Ox looked very sharp (considering). MOTM Mane for me, just pulled them appart all night. VVD his usual ridiculous self. He defends like it’s a mild inconvinience to him. Looking forward to seeing him make Messi look untidy. Also, thought the ref was almost invisible, well done sir.

All in all a top night, thanks all :)

RedForever2014

Fantastic performance, especially in the conditions.

We lost our heads a little after the early goal and it was a bit Keystone Cops for 10 minutes, but it was great to see sense prevail and a measured performance kick in, a huge notable difference from the Palace match 5 years ago. We scored 5 whilst playing measured football, which is the sign of a team that knows what it is doing.

Good to see Lovren looking solid and ready if needed, Keita hitting good form at just the right time, ditto Mo and Mane, whilst Shaqiri and Oxlade offered glimpses that they'd be options from the bench.

I was surprised to see Gomez not given a start to get fitness into his legs, especially as TAA is looking a bit mixed defensively.

I like Sturridge as a person and a player, but he's just not good enough to be playing for us anymore. It's like playing with 10.5 players instead of 11.

He'll always be remembered as a good player who helped LFC progress as a club, but we shouldn't really be seeing him start or come from the bench again.

In fact, I wouldn't start Origi either if Bobby's out, I'd play an extra midfielder and let Mo/Mane run the forward show.

It would have been nice to score a few more, but at least we brought the goal difference to within sight of City.

It's nice that if they do lose a match and we draw one, and we finish level on points, there is now a chance that goal difference is not the forgone conclusion it was.

Let's hope Cardiff win well later today, and Burnley go out and get that final point they need to be 100% sure of safety tomorrow. I'm sure Crouchy could find it in him to cause them a few problems if and when he gets onto the field.

Much of the country seems to be against LFC winning it, so it'd be nice if old players and managers contributed to us doing so over the next week or so.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Cheers mate! I guess writing down thoughts helps when being a wreck (which is how I feel at times too during all this Run-in), but what a lovely "wreck" it is to be too, isn't it? :)

I feel the same about cashing in the performances with the trophies! And while I know it sounds greedy of me to insist on not choosing between EPL and CL, and wanting to win both, I'd actually put it this way to explain why it's not greedy: Let's keep performing to this level, and whatever we can win by playing this way, we'll welcome with all our hearts!
So for now, all focus vs Barca!
It's not greedy at all. Nobody has ever accused Bob Paisley of being greedy. There were times in his tenure that we were winning two or three trophies a season. Let's bring those days back. :well done:
You were sat just a few seats along from my two nephews.

Can’t help you with the missing write-up. Something about a horse and water.

Yes, you predicted in the pre-match that the lads would be in 2nd gear. Very true, although I remember Gini putting in a shift last night in the #6 as he was everywhere. While he is not a high-impact player this season he has been very effective as one of those who does a lot of the dirty work in the middle breaking up opposition play. Huddersfield were very disjointed last night, and much of that due to our midfield three.

Yes it’s been an excellent trip thanks. Today is the icing with the Anfield tour

Haha, as you panned around there, you caught a view of where I sit up high in the main stand. It's no wonder my nephews can never locate me. It's just a blur from down on the Kop.

TheSweetSilverSong

It's not greedy at all. Nobody has ever accused Bob Paisley of being greedy. There were times in his tenure that we were winning two or three trophies a season. Let's bring those days back. :well done:

You were sat just a few seats along from my two nephews.

Haha, as you panned around there, you caught a view of where I sit up high in the main stand. It's no wonder my nephews can never locate me. It's just a blur from down on the Kop.
True! May it start now! :)

If only I could be able to witness the amazing atmosphere for once in my life with my son (15 years old, playing for the official U16 Liverpool International Academy here in my country)...
If we win it, I may manage to come with him to Anfield only for the experience of the city in such an occasion. But to actually watch a game would be a dream come true...so envious of you and Semmy!! (And all the other forumites that were able to get game tickets and watch our team!).

A confession: I'm a football virgin - as weird as it may sound, I'm saving myself for Anfield, refusing to watch any other game at any stadium, local or anywhere else (my son's games the exception), because I want the first time to be at Anfield to watch Liverpool!

One day....

one day...

The Phenom

Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis
A confession: I'm a football virgin - as weird as it may sound, I'm saving myself for Anfield, refusing to watch any other game at any stadium, local or anywhere else (my son's games the exception), because I want the first time to be at Anfield to watch Liverpool!

One day....

one day...
Same here. Never watched a football match at any stadium, or any field for that matter.
Would like to soak in my first game there, followed by the second at Borussia Mönchengladbach .
Yeah, the trip, when I make it will be planned to coincide with the LFC fans' annual visit to Gladbach.
Its in my bucket list.

[email protected]

Nobody remembers 2nd place.

They do when it is Liverpool
I cried my eyes out when we lost it in 1989
we hear about Gerrard's slip every week from opposing fans
One thing this side can't be labelled at is 'bottlers or chokers' but if we do fail and it's odds on City win then I'm sure they (everyone bar our club) will find some kind of stick to beat us with, they will probably go along the lines of Klopp hasn't won anything.
You re spot on mate cause we ll win that shit this year Keep the faith!

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
True! May it start now! :)

One day....

one day...
Mate, don’t wait. Go see whatever you can, because you then have a measure of comparison. Have gone to a few MLS games which were accepted for what they are, but truly glad to have went to the Brentford v. Leeds Utd match on Monday last. Got to see a Championship-level ground/stadium and match with a former LFC player and former R.Madrid keeper play.

Then you make the walk up to the Shankley Gates. See the statue, visit the memorial. Sing warmup at hotel TIA and then the Kop bar. Watch the player warmup and the lads taking the piss out of each other.

It elevates the experience, to put it far too simply

Flobs

FADA
Really pleased to see Mane scoring with his head. He's adding that to his game is adding an extra dimension to this team.

Smaller pacey forwards in football don't really want to head the ball but Mane is different. He's willing to be an all round forward.
That scum Dwight York being an exception.

Edit: headed goals really come down to the quality of the cross not the size of the forward, though being a big forward helps make you stick out for the player crossing.

Last edited:

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Another job well done. Great to see Ox back and looking really sharp. Fingers crossed for Firminho fitness.
I don't know if it made the broadcast, but Milly and Ox were warming up at halftime sending some crossfield balls and playing keep-up with the ball. Then Divock joined and they started spinning the ball to each other about 15 yards away in a circle with the outside of their foot. Fun to watch when the players are enjoying themselves

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I like Sturridge as a person and a player, but he's just not good enough to be playing for us anymore. It's like playing with 10.5 players instead of 11.

He'll always be remembered as a good player who helped LFC progress as a club, but we shouldn't really be seeing him start or come from the bench again.
I honestly think that was his farewell. No other reason to start him ahead of Origi.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
As others have said, that was the most pedestrian and casual 5 0 win you'll ever see.

I think Sturridge started because Origi will play in Barcelona. Origi hasn't had enough game time to do 2 x 90minutes in the space of a few days.

Sturridge decline is a sorry state of affairs. However, he has had no game time recently and certainly no momentum. I think he does better when he his getting frequent minutes, much like the start of the year. Still, his time with the club is done and I wish him well at his next club.

Similarly with Lovren, he isn't match sharp and is probably a few games away from getting back to his peak.

Would have liked to have seen Salah and Mane taken off earlier, but otherwise it was the perfect day.

RedForever2014

Brighton have woken up in the second half. They must have realised that they were getting beat 1-0
When you look at the forthcoming fixtures, it's fascinating how the title race, face for top 4, race for 7th and relegation battle are all intertwined.

Tonight was a decent result for us in the end, as Brighton are not out of the woods and Newcastle have pushed further up the table.

Shame Cardiff lost today as Burnley are now safe, but Burnley can go up a few places with a win tomorrow and surely they'll want to finish as high as possible after a disappointing season, not least for the prize money.

Hopefully Cardiff win against Palace next weekend and Brighton lose to Arsenal, so they're within a point of each other going into the last match.

Cardiff and Brighton have tough last matches, both against the Manchester clubs funnily enough, and it's not impossible for Cardiff to get something at United, making Brighton need something too if next weekend's results set that up.

Wolves have got one hand on 7th, and if they beat Fulham next weekend they see off Everton and Watford.

Leicester are six points behind with a game in hand (and similar GD), but have Arsenal tomorrow, then City and Chelsea.

Hopefully Leicester beat Arsenal tomorrow, so they're in with a shout of 7th when they play City. If they only draw at City, Wolves have 7th secure before they play us.

For the gamblers amongst us there's an accumulator in there.

Flobs

FADA
As others have said, that was the most pedestrian and casual 5 0 win you'll ever see.

I think Sturridge started because Origi will play in Barcelona. Origi hasn't had enough game time to do 2 x 90minutes in the space of a few days.

Sturridge decline is a sorry state of affairs. However, he has had no game time recently and certainly no momentum. I think he does better when he his getting frequent minutes, much like the start of the year. Still, his time with the club is done and I wish him well at his next club.

Similarly with Lovren, he isn't match sharp and is probably a few games away from getting back to his peak.

Would have liked to have seen Salah and Mane taken off earlier, but otherwise it was the perfect day.
Surely Firmino will be back for the Barça match, I bloody hope so anyway.
I reckon Sturridge was a tactical choice to have a central attacker who might be able to influence the game with his passing (ok it didn't work out like that as he dwelled on the ball too much (due to not being match fit?)). Niether Origi or Sturridge take on CBs physically so Origi is a waste centrally.
This allowed Salah and Mané to work the wings and outer channels which is where I like to see them.
If Firmino was fit and Mané out ill I would have expected to see Origi.
Sturridge wasn't poor for someone with such low game time just not sharp enough to appear good he did help creat space though.
Anyway he's off in the summer or so I hear.