• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Huddersfield (EPL 26/4/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 88’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

• Van Dijk

• Robertson

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Wijnaldum [off 73’]

• Henderson

• Keita [GOAL 1’]

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Mane [GOAL 23’, GOAL 66’]

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Sturridge [off 73’]

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Salah [GOAL 45+1’, GOAL 83’]

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [On 73’]

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Shaqiri [on 73’]

• Gomez [on 88’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
I actually haven’t tried drinking while watching city plays.... might wanna try that this Sunday. See how it works.
Yes please!!! I think all of you guys should try something different!!
Who knows maybe butterfly effect is true!!
Maybe eddie drinking in city game can cause shock waves in the League!!

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
A piping hot 90 minutes with some stand out performances like the wonderfully magnificent Mo, followed by Andy Robertson, Mane and Hendo.

Its been a glorious season and we are still there with a chance of winning the title, and reaching our second consecutive Champions League final.

I am so proud of our magnificent Red Men, under the guidance of our wonderfully gifted German manager!!!
IN KLOPP WE TRUST!!!

So now we await the Burnley v City match at 14.05. My forecast is for a Burnley win by 2-0.

Have a great Sunday everyone!!!

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
One unforeseen problem with Friday night matches is that LFC TV isn't permitted to broadcast the full match until after MOTD is broadcast on Saturday night. So, not having had the opportunity to re-watch the full match, coupled with watching the live game on a stuttering Russian stream, I'm not certain how accurate my (and the Mem's) recollection of the match is. (So apologies in advance if I've got it completely wrong; have pity on a doddering, drunken old fool)

Although the result didn't flatter us, we created plenty of chances and could have scored more, I don't recall it being one way traffic for the full 96 minutes; there were extended periods when Huddersfield were in the match and on occasion were denied only by a combination of bad luck and poor quality. So credit to Huddersfield for making a game of it and not coming and parking the bus.

I know it sounds silly to be critical after a 5-0 win, but I think we missed Bob's energy, pressing and ball recovery, as was Matip in defence. So hopefully both will be restored for the Barca game.

I felt sorry for Studge, he is a shadow of the player he once was, but his lack of energy had an adverse impact upon our control of the game. The difference showed when Ox (welcome back lah) and Shaqattack came on. Other than for sentimental reasons, I cannot see why Shaq didn't start in preference to Studge.

And I presume Lovren replaced Matip, to give Matip a rest before Wednesday. I certainly hope so - Lovren did alright but he was still a liability at times and rightly got a proper bollocking from Virgil.

I thought Naby, my MOTM, was outstanding throughout the match; not just for his nicely taken goal but also his decisive tackles and passes. He's come good and, in my opinion, is nailed on to start against Barca. Robbo, Mane, Virgil, Mo and Alisson were brilliant as usual.

Anyway, it just goes to show that we don't have to be in control 100% of the time to win; we have the quality to beat any team, including Barca, away and at home.

RedForever2014

One unforeseen problem with Friday night matches is that LFC TV isn't permitted to broadcast the full match until after MOTD is broadcast on Saturday night. So, not having had the opportunity to re-watch the full match, coupled with watching the live game on a stuttering Russian stream, I'm not certain how accurate my (and the Mem's) recollection of the match is. (So apologies in advance if I've got it completely wrong; have pity on a doddering, drunken old fool)

Although the result didn't flatter us, we created plenty of chances and could have scored more, I don't recall it being one way traffic for the full 96 minutes; there were extended periods when Huddersfield were in the match and on occasion were denied only by a combination of bad luck and poor quality. So credit to Huddersfield for making a game of it and not coming and parking the bus.

I know it sounds silly to be critical after a 5-0 win, but I think we missed Bob's energy, pressing and ball recovery, as was Matip in defence. So hopefully both will be restored for the Barca game.

I felt sorry for Studge, he is a shadow of the player he once was, but his lack of energy had an adverse impact upon our control of the game. The difference showed when Ox (welcome back lah) and Shaqattack came on. Other than for sentimental reasons, I cannot see why Shaq didn't start in preference to Studge.

And I presume Lovren replaced Matip, to give Matip a rest before Wednesday. I certainly hope so - Lovren did alright but he was still a liability at times and rightly got a proper bollocking from Virgil.

I thought Naby, my MOTM, was outstanding throughout the match; not just for his nicely taken goal but also his decisive tackles and passes. He's come good and, in my opinion, is nailed on to start against Barca. Robbo, Mane, Virgil, Mo and Alisson were brilliant as usual.

Anyway, it just goes to show that we don't have to be in control 100% of the time to win; we have the quality to beat any team, including Barca, away and at home.
Watched it live on Sky myself and your observations are fair. As for your Russian stream, at least you were spared the Sky pundits and their inane mutterings.

It was a case of using the squad I think. Resting players, protecting players, giving players match fitness.

Whether the use of Sturridge was one last look at him to see if he's anything to offer in forthcoming matches, a farewell appearance, or merely a way of ensuring someone we will use over the next few weeks doesn't get injured, it's clear he has nothing to offer and shouldn't even be on the bench unless we have a few injuries.

With a fully fit squad, Sturridge, Moreno and Lallana wouldn't make my matchday squad ahead of any of the other players in the squad.

Lovren needed some game time, Matip needs the odd rest, and you never know when Lovren might be needed. It's possible he'll play at Newcastle, or come on late in a match to sure up the defence (in theory at least).

The major defensive worry for me just now is TAA. He is obviously nowhere near the finished article, understandable in part given his age but he has enough experience to not get caught out as much as he does.

To be fair he was very good against Ribery in Munich, but on many occasions he's not convincing. He got torn up in the second leg of the CL semi at Roma, had a tough time at Cardiff and wasn't great on Friday in a defensive capacity.

With Alba and Coutinho to face at Barce, I'd be giving serious consideration to using Gomez at right back if he's deemed fit enough.

In fact, if Bobby is out, I'd worry about starting Origi, so would consider using Salah up top with Mane on the right and Keita in a left sided midfield come forward role. Mane works back more than Salah, and he and Keita would help the channels defensively more than having Salah there.

Then you have Fabinho, Hendo and Gini as a solid midfield.

Using four of the midfielders messes up rotation at Newcastle a bit, but if TAA, Matip, VVD, Andy, Fab, Hendo, Gini, Keita, Mane, Mo start in Barce, we can use Gomez, Lovren, Milner and Bobby (if back) at Newcastle to get some fresh legs into the side.