• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Leicester (EPL 5/10/2019 3pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • Lovren

Votes: 49 26.1%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Milner [GOAL 90+4']

Votes: 98 52.1%
  • Wijnaldum [off 78']

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Mane [GOAL 40']

Votes: 142 75.5%
  • Salah [off 90+1]

• Firmino [off 78']

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Henderson [on 78']

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Origi [on 78']

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Lallana [on 90+1']

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
I was quite surprised that we were a level better than Leicester, but then we are European champs, and all I know of Leicester is the results and Brendans over confident blather.
Think we deserved the win. The equaliser and penalty were a nice emotional ride that had me jumping around like I was 20 years younger.
Van the man and Fabinho are so brilliant in quashing attacks and setting up attacks There is so much good about this team - Robertson and Trent have turned the role of Full back from unimportant to key players for the team.
Salah was man handled more than once.
I think top 4 is a bit much for Leicester, but, seeing how manu and arsenal are making such a hash of everything at the mo, and Spurs are imploding, maybe they are a candidates to fill the void.

Excellently taken goal, and a great pass reminiscent of Coutinho, (or Redknapp or Souness in hi pomp, or even King Sir Kenny himself)

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Brilliant how we keep finding answers. Just as well Salah has a rest now due to International break. Also feel Bobby could do with a break, been beow par for 3 games now. Thought Trent lost his way after 80 minutes. Gave the ball away with a sloppy throw in and after that struggled Lets make no mistake though , this was a good team we beat here.
With Lovren playing well we are well stacked for CBs and GKs now with Adrian proving a very good cover for Aly.
Still think we could have used that Fernandes guy from Porto. Much better than Gini.

TheSweetSilverSong

What a fantastic way to come back in the game and win it!
A game we would have drawn in previous years (much like the one vs Salzburg), but not anymore.
For the first time I gave the MOTM using up all 3 possible votes: Millie (marvellous assist & steel nerves for the winning penalty), Mane (simply immense, both with the goal and his tracking back, defence etc.), and Lovren, who I found nearly flawless and very professional to be out for so long and keep working and using his chance (another couple of performances like this and he may be pushing Gomez down the order, even if Gomez is overall a better player, given performances).
I thought the win was deserved, and that we need to start converting better, as it should have been 4-0 before their goal. When they levelled, I thought that a draw would be totally undeserved, as it was their only moment of real danger, and their only shot on target, while we had been wasteful with at least 10 good chances and so many shots.

I've said it once and I'll say it again...
Back to where we were around March. Win every game on from here and this cunt is ours.
I've said it 6 times and I'll say it YET A-FUCKING-GAIN:
Back to where we were around March. Win every game from here and we'll win this fucking cunt.
I really hope this is something like Peaches' "Smash them. they're shit" and the other "Banana skin (someone had to say it)" rituals, regardless of whether it really applies or not. If that's the case, this is a must post every game.

Elated with that but..........if Kane had gone down like Sadio there might have been a few on here giving him stick :unsure: . I would have been gutted if that was given at the other end but hey ho 3 more points.
Well, the way I see it, it was a very clear foul, not a 50%-50% case, and if Mane would not go down it would have not been given, which would have been wrong. Players know they have to help the ref. The difference in qualifying for a dive is if there is no foul and the player is looking to fool the ref, which wasn't the case here.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Last edited:

Wilkored08

Word has it...LCFC are complaining about 'racist abuse' against certain players...not sure of the details...is it a case of 'just because you lost' !!

Last edited:

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
A few things to say on the criticism of Adrian, which has right fucked me off for some reason.

We are top of the league with a perfect record. Played 8, won 8. We are certain to be at least five clear of City after this round of fixtures, heading into the internationals.

Obviously if you are offered than before the Norwich game you’d bite anyone’s hand off. But if you were told that we’d be in that position without our first choice keeper...? It’s dreamland, really. Oh and he’d save a penalty in the Super Cup final. And to put the cherry on top, he’d have to play a few of those games with an ankle injury because of a dickhead fan.

Of course Adrian has made some mistakes. He is the second keeper and a step down from Alisson. But the opening to the season could not of gone better. Adrian has allowed the rest of the team to get on with their business, do what they do and win games. We can’t really ask any more.

I am certain that had Mignolet or Karius started these eight, we wouldn’t have 24 points. Oh, and if we’d taken most of the other deputy keepers in the premier league we wouldn’t either.

So if Dutch thinks Adrian is not good enough to be the second choice, then the question is who do we get.

And let’s not forget here that Liverpool broke the world transfer record to sign Alisson. He is probably the best goalkeeper in the world at this point.

So the conversation with the back up cannot be come in and work hard, and you have a chance of winning the shirt. And because of Alisson’s age, nor can it be bide your time, and you’ll be in a good position when he moves on. No, Alisson means you are signing an unambiguous back up. Someone who everyone is clear is there to sit on the bench, play the odd cup game, and get a run out with an injury. That ultimately was not good enough for Simon Mignolet, and he was nowhere close to being good enough for LFC.

It feels like a rehash of the summer conversations about left back and forwards. When players are sooo good that their shirts are more or less guaranteed, bringing in deputies becomes an incredibly hard sell.

Probably in Dutch’s mind we go out and spend the money on a better keeper than Adrian. But I’m not really sure if he has considered exactly how we persuade a better keeper - who presumably has an aspiration to play football - to come here and not get a kick (which is his it would have looked prior to Alisson’s injury).

I think we either got incredibly lucky with Adrian, or did a phenomenal bit of business. We got a lad in for free at the last minute, had to use him in our opening eight game, won them all, and sit at the top of the league with a five point cushion. It’s fucking baffling that anyone is criticising him in that situation. If he’d cost us 2-4 points, it would still be a situation that everyone deserves credit for.

melbournered

I hate American football with a vengence
But
They do allow different players to come on for different plays
Would love to see that in the EPL
Then whenever there is a penalty we could bring Milner on to take it
Ill bet he would still be a killer penalty taker at 50
This post is..... creepy,scary, whatever. I said pretty much the same thing to a mate today. Even to the extent Millie could do this at 50.!!!
WTF!!

[email protected]

A few things to say on the criticism of Adrian, which has right fucked me off for some reason.

We are top of the league with a perfect record. Played 8, won 8. We are certain to be at least five clear of City after this round of fixtures, heading into the internationals.

Obviously if you are offered than before the Norwich game you’d bite anyone’s hand off. But if you were told that we’d be in that position without our first choice keeper...? It’s dreamland, really. Oh and he’d save a penalty in the Super Cup final. And to put the cherry on top, he’d have to play a few of those games with an ankle injury because of a dickhead fan.

Of course Adrian has made some mistakes. He is the second keeper and a step down from Alisson. But the opening to the season could not of gone better. Adrian has allowed the rest of the team to get on with their business, do what they do and win games. We can’t really ask any more.

I am certain that had Mignolet or Karius started these eight, we wouldn’t have 24 points. Oh, and if we’d taken most of the other deputy keepers in the premier league we wouldn’t either.

So if Dutch thinks Adrian is not good enough to be the second choice, then the question is who do we get.

And let’s not forget here that Liverpool broke the world transfer record to sign Alisson. He is probably the best goalkeeper in the world at this point.

So the conversation with the back up cannot be come in and work hard, and you have a chance of winning the shirt. And because of Alisson’s age, nor can it be bide your time, and you’ll be in a good position when he moves on. No, Alisson means you are signing an unambiguous back up. Someone who everyone is clear is there to sit on the bench, play the odd cup game, and get a run out with an injury. That ultimately was not good enough for Simon Mignolet, and he was nowhere close to being good enough for LFC.

It feels like a rehash of the summer conversations about left back and forwards. When players are sooo good that their shirts are more or less guaranteed, bringing in deputies becomes an incredibly hard sell.

Probably in Dutch’s mind we go out and spend the money on a better keeper than Adrian. But I’m not really sure if he has considered exactly how we persuade a better keeper - who presumably has an aspiration to play football - to come here and not get a kick (which is his it would have looked prior to Alisson’s injury).

I think we either got incredibly lucky with Adrian, or did a phenomenal bit of business. We got a lad in for free at the last minute, had to use him in our opening eight game, won them all, and sit at the top of the league with a five point cushion. It’s fucking baffling that anyone is criticising him in that situation. If he’d cost us 2-4 points, it would still be a situation that everyone deserves credit for.
What's baffling is hearing that it's apparently fucking baffling to think he should have made some saves he hasn't . Some of the criticism of him has been over the top and he has performed well no doubt given the situation but the sun isn't shining out of his arse to render him immune from saying he should have saved some that went past him. We have had 2 clean sheets in 8 in the Prem and imho should have had at least 5; howler against Southampton, Willems shot vs Newcastle and yesterday's effort by Maddison.

He's done well, I am not comparing him to Allison or saying he should be world class or that we need a better back up and I actually think he is perfect for the role. What I am saying is he could have, and should have done better, in certain goalscoring situations and that we have actually been lucky that is has not cost us points; Ings missed a sitter to equalise vs Southampton and while it was a penalty, we did require that situation to get the win yesterday thanks to a goal that really was avoidable. The fact that we have 24 points is not down to having Adrian and not having Migs/Karius but rather the incredible dogged, resilient and sheer bloody minded mentality of this team as a whole.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Anyone moaning about any of our players needs to have a serious look at themselves in the mirror. Adrian has on the whole been superb , the best back up 'keeper i've witnessed in 4 decades following the Redmen.

8 wins out of 8 and some people still looking for negatives and things to moan about. It's pathetic.

melbournered

This is what i thought when he posted his nonsense. At short notice, just exactly who,he thought , we could we have secured who was firstly available and secondly capable enough to fill in.

Noo Noo

Well said. I've no issues with Adrian as he's made some excellent saves and those that he hasn't haven't really been errors on his part (bar one obvious one). I'd be looking at why those goal scoring opportunities happen before looking at Adrian's performance in those instances.

he's come here to do a job and in my opinion he's doing it better than I expected of a back up goal keeper that we signed on a freebie.

[email protected]

Anyone moaning about any of our players needs to have a serious look at themselves in the mirror. Adrian has on the whole been superb , the best back up 'keeper i've witnessed in 4 decades following the Redmen.

8 wins out of 8 and some people still looking for negatives and things to moan about. It's pathetic.
More superfan nonsense. Everyone is ecstatic about the start. It's called discussion. That's why we are here right? My opinion differs from yours so why the fuck would I need to have a look in the mirror just for that minor inconvenience? Highly dislike the pathetic angle, not sure what allows you the express and divine right to label others who don't share your views as such. Have a word.