• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Leicester (EPL 5/10/2019 3pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • Lovren

Votes: 49 26.1%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Robertson

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Milner [GOAL 90+4']

Votes: 98 52.1%
  • Wijnaldum [off 78']

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Mane [GOAL 40']

Votes: 142 75.5%
  • Salah [off 90+1]

• Firmino [off 78']

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Henderson [on 78']

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Origi [on 78']

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Lallana [on 90+1']

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
That was an interesting one to watch. Brodge doing his most outstanding lip service pre-match. Set up his lads for the draw, but Mane fixed that

Suspect Mo will get 4 week off in recovery. Thuggish tackle. Karma dealt in the way of a soft PK. Sir James dispatched calm as you like. 3 pts.

Rest of weekend results suit us well.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I was actually disappointed with Leicester. They are better than that to be honest. They went for a draw and got a loss, is it really that different when Norwich came for a win and lost?
I wasn't surprised. We know BR. He did not set up his team to counter fast. Everything is slow. Everybody will want to point out how they were in the game, held on etc. The fact is the first shot they made ( wasn't even on target ) was at the 72 minute. The next shot was the goal. And that is it. We had 18 shots. The only reason people are talking is because it was a late penalty. Leicester were never in the game.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I wasn't surprised. We know BR. He did not set up his team to counter fast. Everything is slow. Everybody will want to point out how they were in the game, held on etc. The fact is the first shot they made ( wasn't even on target ) was at the 72 minute. The next shot was the goal. And that is it. We had 18 shots. The only reason people are talking is because it was a late penalty. Leicester were never in the game.
That’s it though, I’ve watched them play this season, they honestly didn’t look like scoring and that’s what I found odd

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
That’s it though, I’ve watched them play this season, they honestly didn’t look like scoring and that’s what I found odd
We have one defensive weakness. When TAA and Robbo push forward, and our CB's are playing a highline, it leaves a lot of space from runners from the other teams to run to, assuming our midfield and attackers aren't able to press and prevent that pass. Leicster's game is based upon possession, moving the ball patiently, short passes ( BR was always inspired by Pep's Tiki Taka ). His team could play another 90 minutes and still no tget a shot on goal, because their manager did not set up correctly to expliot these gaps.

They will do well against most PL teams, bar Liverpool and City. but they are nowhere near the level required to compete with us.

Commando

Ad-free Member
In regards to the penalty. I knew as soon as it went to VAR that the ref’s decision would be uphel. The VAR team never go against what the on field referee has given.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
In regards to the penalty. I knew as soon as it went to VAR that the ref’s decision would be uphel. The VAR team never go against what the on field referee has given.
Although you are right, Antony 'born and raised in Manchester' Taylor was the VAR so I was holding my breath. :)

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Mané going on his knees and praising Allah after Milly puts it in the net. (y)

It was superb indeed. And he has made this sort of things so many times for us over the years.

I've said it many times, but here we go again: Milner is one of the very best transfers the club has done over the last decades. By far and away the best signing made by Rodgers, assuming that Firmino was a move from the transfer committee with a view towards Klopp coming in to replace Rodgers. Milly however was Rodgers' choice, and boy was he right to sign him. Magnificent. We wouldn't be where we are right now without him, that's for sure. A leader, a fighter, a man who brings the whole weight of his enormous experience into the team... imagine being a young player and having the opportunity to learn from such a player... I'm hundred percent sure that he has made a big contribution to improve the whole squad significantly.

And, he's indeed a player who can do this sort of brilliant things too, beyond the sheer willingness, grafting and fighting, beyond being as cool as a cucumber in the face of pressure... He's invaluable for us and deserves his own song in my opinion.
How hard would it be to rework "Hey Mickey" by Toni Basil?

"Oh Millie, you're so fine
You're so fine you blow my mind, hey Millie,
Hey Millie"
:unsure:

1dragon

TIA Regular
Is it just me, or did we purposely not play such a high line as compared to the RBS game? I felt that we knew Vardy could pose problems on the counter, so we held back a little. This led to more space between Fabinho and the defenders, which could explain why our midfield was over run in the middle of the second half.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Is it just me, or did we purposely not play such a high line as compared to the RBS game? I felt that we knew Vardy could pose problems on the counter, so we held back a little. This led to more space between Fabinho and the defenders, which could explain why our midfield was over run in the middle of the second half.
That was my feeling as well. May have also been something to do with Lovren’s lack of recovery pace compared to Gomez and Matip.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
It was the deepest we'd been so far this season and we were much better defensively for it. I don't think JK has got enough credit for the changes he made for this game. I didn't read the pre-match but I'm guessing there were some howls of protest when Lovren was included. Bold call to drop Gomez. Just about every team we've played have dropped that ball in behind Trent so it was an obvious point of weakness for Leicester to target.

I didn't think we were 'over run' in midfield. I thought we just naturally retreated a little and conceded some of the middle ground in an attempt to catch them on the counter. Leicester went for it a bit more and Madisson moved centrally. Fatigue was a factor for us. Fabinho was absolutely fucked and we definitely slowed down around about the 70th minute onwards. There's been very little rotation in the midfield so far and the hard work defending the high line in other games will have taken its toll.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
It was the deepest we'd been so far this season and we were much better defensively for it. I don't think JK has got enough credit for the changes he made for this game. I didn't read the pre-match but I'm guessing there were some howls of protest when Lovren was included. Bold call to drop Gomez. Just about every team we've played have dropped that ball in behind Trent so it was an obvious point of weakness for Leicester to target.

I didn't think we were 'over run' in midfield. I thought we just naturally retreated a little and conceded some of the middle ground in an attempt to catch them on the counter. Leicester went for it a bit more and Madisson moved centrally. Fatigue was a factor for us. Fabinho was absolutely fucked and we definitely slowed down around about the 70th minute onwards. There's been very little rotation in the midfield so far and the hard work defending the high line in other games will have taken its toll.
Not to mention he was on a yellow from early on. That didn't help us control the midfield, especially for the goal they scored.