• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Man City (EPL 10/11/19 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 42 18.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 16 7.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 27 12.2%
  • Fabinho [GOAL 9’]

Votes: 157 70.7%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 65 29.3%
  • Henderson [off 61’]

Votes: 24 10.8%
  • Salah [GOAL 13’, off 87’]

Votes: 22 9.9%
  • Firmino [off 78’]

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Mane [GOAL 51’]

Votes: 27 12.2%
  • Milner [on 61’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 78’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Gomez [on 87’]

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ptt

2020, head of the table.
In my estimation, Guardiola's got two chances left to win CL before his and City's ways part.
Our rivalry won't peak until the next Champions League matches we play them in.
I have a very strong feeling that won't be this season though.
The second league game this year in March won't be hugely significant I hope.
We’ll be on the beach with hangovers and silver polish :)

Alright Now

I wonder if it really will grow. This match may turn into one of greater significance, sometimes sports dynasties come to an end in a single encounter, but that doesn't seem clear until much later. I am thinking for example of how a year ago, Golden State in the NBA was being described as unbeatable and likely to win the next however many championships, and has crumbled since. Suppose LFC is able to hang on to win the title, Guardiola leaves at the end of this season, and a very talented side suddenly has a questionable defence and an aging core.

No question, the Citeh fans' hatred of Liverpool will grow, if that is even possible.
Excellent point: McEnroe vs Borg, 1981.

Alright Now

These interviews are starting to remind me of The aftermath of the Barca comeback:

“I think we were much better overall,” said Rodri, with the midfielder currently off on international duty with Spain. “We created more chances than them, but they arrive to our goal three times and scored three goals.

“We are left with a bittersweet feeling because we wanted to win. They are very strong at the moment and they are having everything right. We have been brave but we have had to face several blows along the game.”

Bittersweet, yeah right.

Red over the water

They aren’t helping themselves if they reduce our excellent performance to a bit of luck here and there. They are an excellent team, but we had it. They saw a lot of the ball and we smashed them on the counter. Then we had a lot more of the ball, showing we can play more than one way, before they built a head of steam in the closing stages to try to get close, but we held strong. Very impressive on our part.

I think they will drop more points before the new year. Laporte is out and they have some tricky games. On our end we have to press on and hopefully expand the lead to really suck the life out of them.

I think Guardiola will be finished with them in summer. Ideally Jürgen stays a good few years beyond that and we win plenty of silverware. We are in a great position in the league, but we need to keep our focus. I’m sure Klopp and his staff are on it.

MinniMo

Recent poll on clubs rivalry as voted by fans on Planet Football. Made me chuckle anyway!

Liverpool
1. Man Utd – 84%
2. Chelsea – 43%
3. Man City – 39%
4. Everton – 38%
5. Arsenal – 14%

Man City
1. Liverpool – 79%
2. Man Utd – 78%
3. Tottenham – 28%
4. Chelsea – 25%
5. Arsenal – 13%

Man Utd
1. Liverpool – 88%
2. Man City – 66%
3. Chelsea – 43%
4. Leeds – 38%
5. Arsenal – 31%

Limiescouse

Who the fuck voted for Arsenal?

I have started to get a little bothered by the leeway City seem to be getting for the injuries they have been dealing with.

Sure, losing Laporte is a big deal, but I wonder if anyone else is currently having to play without their first choice CM partnership?

Oh, they had to resort to play us with a CM at CB? Well whose fucking fault is that? Pep went into the season not trusting 2 of his 3 senior CBs and so planned on using Fernandinho there. Actually then using him there cannot then be an excuse. This was not a case of us having to resort to playing Gini at CB.

Oh, their keeper is out? Is there anyone else in the top 4 who has also had to deal with that?

We have had the best goalie in the world available for about 3 games. We are currently without what we think as one of our preferred CBs, but arguably he only holds that position because of the continued issues the actual preferred partner to Virgil has had regaining fitness and sharpness. Our 50 million pound player acquired to help us reshape out midfield to better address the challenges we were likely to play this season continues to be largely unavailable. The best analgue we have to him, Ox, is also still on the injury come back trail. And in Mo we have if not our best player but our most high profile hobbled for about half a season and trying to find a way to play through injury. Our form should be viewed even more favourably in light of those issues, yet there appear to be some people who only consider injuries to have been something a group has to deal with if it costs you points. No, they are just the sides who didnt plan well enough or were unable to find a solution. If CIty are currently struggling, then rather than excusing them over that, they should be criticised for not being better prepared for it.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
@Limiescouse - Well, get used to it. No one but us wants the title race to be done as early as possible, and a ManC 9 points back but seen as the most likely challenger is going to get the most favourable media coverage they have ever seen. The corollary is that any possible story that suggests difficulty for Liverpool is going to attract enormous interest. That is not a matter of bias, simple reality of football industry trying to hold interest.

Incognito

The Normal One
There's a reason he's called cheque book manager. See I know the football he gets his team play is very good at times, and a reason why he's a notch above Mourinho for me, who spends similar sums and still plays shitty football.

But he's becoming more and more like Mourinho now in many other aspects. He has just one way of playing football, and a little tweak if needed causes him trouble. He just cannot perform with the limited resources he has and without throwing money at the problem.

Yes if the conditions are as favourable to him ($$$) he'll deliver, at least few titles. But he gets found out very easily and has done nothing over the years to change that.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
These interviews are starting to remind me of The aftermath of the Barca comeback:

“I think we were much better overall,” said Rodri, with the midfielder currently off on international duty with Spain. “We created more chances than them, but they arrive to our goal three times and scored three goals.

“We are left with a bittersweet feeling because we wanted to win. They are very strong at the moment and they are having everything right. We have been brave but we have had to face several blows along the game.”

Bittersweet, yeah right.
Honestly out of all the games I've watched this season it was the most comfortable. Over missed passes in the final third is not domination. Also they created 3 chances which Alisson had to save, we created 5 that Bravo had to save. We arrived at their goal 10 times actually, but good story mate.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
.....annnnd now they’ve made an official complaint about the referees...

Doesn’t their video rewind back a further millisecond to see Silva’s handball?

They are a fucking farce, they really are.
So Pep was not mocking the referees with his loud 'thank you', not complaining about their performance...but now he is. Right.