• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Man City (EPL 10/11/19 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 42 18.9%
  • Lovren

Votes: 16 7.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 27 12.2%
  • Fabinho [GOAL 9’]

Votes: 157 70.7%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 65 29.3%
  • Henderson [off 61’]

Votes: 24 10.8%
  • Salah [GOAL 13’, off 87’]

Votes: 22 9.9%
  • Firmino [off 78’]

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Mane [GOAL 51’]

Votes: 27 12.2%
  • Milner [on 61’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 78’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Gomez [on 87’]

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alright Now

.....annnnd now they’ve made an official complaint about the referees...

Doesn’t their video rewind back a further millisecond to see Silva’s handball?

They are a fucking farce, they really are.
Setting it up to have Atkinson at the reverse fixture with Moss drawing the randomly moving colored VAR lines.

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
Pep's touchline antics are hilarious. The fact that he has very talented players and when they lose it reflects badly on him, it gets to him. They had practically a full game time to respond to going behind, but they couldn't. I think it's also the first time in his managerial career that he feels real pressure, because with Barca and Bayern, he never had that experience of real pressure. He came across as a cool, collected person before, but he really lost it during the game.

We are and have been blessed with a lot of our managers, Mr. B. Shankly, Mr. B.Paisley, Mr. R. Evan's, Mr.K.Dalgleish, Senor R.Benitez and now Herr J. Klopp. Our supporters/fans are renowned for their fun and good humoured banter. I feel very proud to be a supporter of this great club.
Because of these attributes, we have players, managers, fans of other clubs trying to be negative of our club, and I do believe the reason for this is because they are jealous and envious of our history and beauty of LFC.
Sorry went a bit off course with that rant

-The Analyst-

I do not mind the way things are playing out. The best approach in the aftermath of a defeat is to analyze and recognize where you went wrong, work on it, and make sure you get back on the horse asap.

City are not doing this, they are blaming everyone else.

As a club they made an official complaint about the ref based on 3 incidents. One which i can partly understand (the first TAA handball). I dont think its a penalty based on what we established long ago, that it hit B.Silvas hand first. But I can understand their initial reaction to that. The second (TAA second handball) and third (Sterling wanting a penalty) claims are just laughable, and take away any credibility about their first claim. Their sulking and acting very immature.

Their players are no better. The Sterling incident this monday shows its gotten under their skin. And they way he acted out was plain childish.

Hopefully their focus will keep being how the world is unfair to them. And not on how to recover and learn from what went wrong in the game.

OzzyKop

Man City fans are burning Hahaha they can not get over the first Goal calling it a penalty. I think we have hurt them Real bad that might actually be more damaging than we anticipated, and what is with Sherwood?? he must really hate us.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I don’t understand why they would focus on Oliver. He refereed the game fairly, including a few in their favour (like Sterling escaping a red for a stamp on Van Dijk’s ankle late in the game). If they have a complaint it’s about the officials in general, and specifically VAR which had the power to adjudicate the incidents Oliver could not possibly have seen.

This suggests to me the intent behind their complaint is to try to influence their match referees, in the style of Ferguson. They are making it untenable for Oliver to be given the reverse fixture.

I’d like the Premier League and Mike Riley to reject their complaint in the strongest terms and sanction them for bringing the game into disrepute. Reacting to defeat with this kind of petulant tantrumming is a terrible example to set, and if the U9s I coach had acted like City did at the final whistle I’d have been embarrassed.

TheSweetSilverSong

Finally some time to type some thoughts on the game, what a storm of a week, and while too busy, flashbacks from the game kept a smile going on my face!

I couldn't help noticing the double irony of Pep commenting on Mane diving, to result in Sterling actually diving for a penalty, and Mane scoring with a "diving" header! That felt like justice!

Tactics-wise it was a very interesting game, both managers changing a lot to see them through this game, with Klopp coming on top! All his masterstrokes were truly brilliant! Especially the way he handled the right flank, both defensively and offensively (defensively restricting their very dangerous Sterling side, and offensively resulting directly in one goal (Hendo's assist), and indirectly to another (Trent's switch of play for Robbo's assist). Granted, City were wasteful and could have done damage, but who cares if they were wasteful, that's their problem! We were magnificent nonetheless and outplayed them. I admit I was annoyed to concede, but that's just greedy, it was a fantastic result and City was due a goal, and played some of their best there anyway, it's not too much surprise they left with a goal.

Our midfield was enormous, Hendo with a captain's performance, in a very unusual and demanding role, and his significance in the game showed both when he was playing and when he was subbed off. Fabinho with a man of the match performance, just amazing and truly our undeniable world-class midfielder (finally, we have one! - and I mean that in the most positive way possible). And Gini, my god, his skills at times, just driving the ball around City midfielders with such ease, and playing a great double pivot with Fabinho, negating De Bruyne from being an effective 2nd striker in the game, simply an amazing performance!

Allison was great in distribution and made a very important save at a crucial moment. Felt he could do better for the goal we conceded, but overall a good performance. Our fullbacks were great, and Lovren was rock solid alongside the immense VVD! Firmino wasn't at his best and felt he should've scored twice, but his importance and silent work is not to be doubted (by me at least). Salah and Mane with amazing goals! Felt that Mane was not too dangerous overall, not as usual at least, but he scored so I'm happy with him, and that Salah was doing everything perfect except his final pass or shot, but then the goal!

I really didn't want to talk about the decisions, and I don't like that they dominate headlines (though I'm not surprised at all), but it really is so annoying to see. I don't even understand the discussion for the first case, since the ball was cleared by Lovren and heads Virgil's way (the opposite direction), and only goes the other direction to hit Trent's arm because Silva handles it (and dives to earn a penalty subsequently, not to forget!). Why the discussion, and why the selective arguments and why make it about intentional/unnatural position when it's irrelevant? I really fail to be dragged into such a convo with other team's fans...
And then, the 2nd. A 50%, with Oliver clearly as close as he could be, with an ideal angle, immediately dismissing the claim! Clearly an educated decision, that of course could be different with another ref, but definitely one to be respected and completely irrelevant to VAR (which would come into play if he was unable to have a clear view or if he had completely missed it). Why the discussion when there was no clear violation of a rule?
Also, if one is going to comment on ref decisions, at least don't be hypocritical and admit that Sterling should get a yellow for diving, then straight red or at least a second yellow (so red) for the intentional step on VVD's leg. And maybe, just maybe be fair enough to mention that we could have been given a penalty as well, with Mane being illegally stopped in the box.

As for the comments extended to the overall campaign, oh my god how ridiculous and so in denial...with Firmino's Villa goal and Utd's goal not overruled by VAR just two examples to give that render it a completely deluded statement to make!
Not wanting to make it more than a few thoughts regarding the madness that is seen in the press regarding decisions.

Just so excited with the result, and hope we can keep the players fit and handle the difficult busy period until January. Hope that Salah and Robbo can get over their on-going injury/recovery difficulties and that withdrawing from international duties is a means to ensure that, rather that meaning their injuries are worse after the game. After the international break there's a very difficult game at Palace, and that's the only thing /game to think about at the moment. The table looks good, but it's November! Beat Palace, see how it looks then. Then the next game. And so on.

Limiescouse

Pep's touchline antics are hilarious. The fact that he has very talented players and when they lose it reflects badly on him, it gets to him. They had practically a full game time to respond to going behind, but they couldn't. I think it's also the first time in his managerial career that he feels real pressure, because with Barca and Bayern, he never had that experience of real pressure. He came across as a cool, collected person before, but he really lost it during the game.
His time at Barca when opposed by Mourinho was one of the most intense, constant pressure rivalries of any league in my life time. To say he has never felt pressure is just not right. However, you can argue that he does not respond to well to it, as even though he mostly got the better of Jose's excellent side, it felt like he broke a little bit in rising to that challenge. Kind of like a fighter who wins a brutal fight but leaves a bit of himself in the ring.

LaurazRed

It's almost like they're sore losers who can't accept that they're being outplayed week-in, week-out by a better side who had a far tougher opening run of fixtures. Give that Chelsea are currently the bigger threat at the top of the table, a tasty draw after the break will be very welcome indeed.
I have to agree with all of this, Chelsea and Leicester are looking very good, but I'm nowhere near writing City off yet. I still wish we weren't going to Qatar I just don't rate that competition.

Red over the water

Making an official complaint is small time. It shows we are massively under their skin and in their heads. Hopefully some unexpected retroactive action comes out after it.

1. Clear statement to say Silva handled the ball, no penalty
2. Fernandinho on Fabinho - red
3. Sterling on VVD - red

I don’t for one minute expect that, but if there’s an outside chance of them clearing up the Silva handball incident, to change the narrative around that, that would be helpful.

In all likelihood, as others have suggested, this is an attempt to choose the ref you want, or at least, make sure you don’t get a particular ref. We’ve seen it before for years with Ferguson at Man Utd. It’s a form of bullying.

Hopefully the authorities have cottoned on to the fact that the only way to deal with a bully is to stand up to them. Man City do not run the game. Smashing team, yes (and they should be, for all the money spent). But they were bettered by us, and while it’s not over, they have quite a hill to climb. FFP trouble might be brewing, and Pep is cracking up and won’t last beyond the season. Rather than face reality, they are going after the refs. Small time.

Wilkored08

Making an official complaint is small time. It shows we are massively under their skin and in their heads. Hopefully some unexpected retroactive action comes out after it.

1. Clear statement to say Silva handled the ball, no penalty
2. Fernandinho on Fabinho - red
3. Sterling on VVD - red

I don’t for one minute expect that, but if there’s an outside chance of them clearing up the Silva handball incident, to change the narrative around that, that would be helpful.

In all likelihood, as others have suggested, this is an attempt to choose the ref you want, or at least, make sure you don’t get a particular ref. We’ve seen it before for years with Ferguson at Man Utd. It’s a form of bullying.

Hopefully the authorities have cottoned on to the fact that the only way to deal with a bully is to stand up to them. Man City do not run the game. Smashing team, yes (and they should be, for all the money spent). But they were bettered by us, and while it’s not over, they have quite a hill to climb. FFP trouble might be brewing, and Pep is cracking up and won’t last beyond the season. Rather than face reality, they are going after the refs. Small time.
And then handbag carry's his temper tantrum and pent up aggression to the England training camp, and tries to strangle JoGo.....anger management classes are required I think....

Lostmyfunk 3421

Standing on the verge of getting it on
Where is all the negative energy coming from the City fans?

Growing up in tut nineties I felt a sense of understanding for each others pain watching Fergie rule the land (and refs).
I enjoyed the ex -reds going there and also Shaun Goater, Kinkladze (?!?) & even Robinho, but, then Thaksin came in and changed City. (Remember he wanted to buy us, but we ended up with those idiots whoose names shall not be spoken).
Funny how it happens..they (City fans) were the 'sounder' 'ones' from Madchester and were generally loyal, decent followers of team that just happened to come from the same City as the "Utd!!" , who were both our natural and traditional enemies.

Side - note. Spare a thought for Leeds, who scare the living daylights out of me since childhood - wad like having Hammer, Chelsea and Millwall hooligans all together, just squarer heads) Whole county hates Leeds when they invade our little fortressesa nd that Planet football is a little Premier, League biased.

Anyway older info copied over off Wiki

Re: Rivals..

Manchester UnitedEdit
Main article: Manchester derby
Most City fans are agreed that Manchester United is their main rivalry, a bitter rivalry which has reignited in last few years due to the resurgence of Manchester City as one of the top teams in England following their brief absence from the top flight at the end of the 20th century and City's re-emergence as a major club following their 2008 takeover.[48][49] Both Manchester teams are regarded as among the best teams in the world with both clubs consistently progressing to the latter stages of the UEFA Champions League in recent years and both are in the top 5 of football clubs by revenue with the city now viewed as a football city in similar vein to cities such as Madrid and Milan,[50][51]although City's disappearance from the upper echelons of the league following their 1960s–70s heyday until their recent rise has led to the two teams being regarded as polar opposites, with City seen as the nouveau riche to United's old money.[52][53] The two sets of fans are traditionally diametrically opposed to each other, with City's fans accusing United of arrogance and of attempting to turn the Premier Leagueinto a closed shop for elite clubs only via manipulation of the rules[54][55] and of the media[56] while they in turn are accused of using their club's money as a route to success.[57] Additionally, and in a unique twist on a cross-city rivalry, both clubs' fans accuse each other of not representing their city, with the blue half of the city observing that their adversaries do not actually play in the city of Manchester (in Trafford) and therefore do not warrant their name, while the red half instead argue over which team has more fans inside of the city.
Other rivalriesEdit
In a research study on football rivalries conducted in 2003, a sample of Manchester City fans also saw Liverpooland Bolton Wanderers as rivals after Manchester United. It also found fans of Oldham Athletic, Stockport County, Bolton Wanderers and Manchester United saw Manchester City in their top three of main rivals.[58] The club has always maintained a healthy rivalry with Tottenham, a club of similar stature, especially in recent years as both teams have been battling to secure lucrative Champions League places.[59] The rivalry has featured many memorable matches in the past including City's 3–4 FA Cup comeback of 2004,[60] the 1981 FA Cup Final and the "Ballet on Ice", which Manchester City fans remember as one of the greatest City performances.[61][62]

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Good morning... or should that be buenos días? That’s right; today’s league table comes all the way from sunny Spain:

Scorchio!
Good morning! Its been a good morning everyday this week so far. I love these tables. They look good in all the languages. Keep them coming.

SBYM

La presión es para neumáticos
Ad-free Member
Nearly every single dipshit over at the Moon is rattling on like a bus full of aluminium pubes.

Against all better judgement, fingers have been crossed and prayers made for a Chelsea win. These deplorable cunts need some more teachin'...

Alright Now

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Just had my first chance to watch the whole game back. Great game. Pity all the coverage has been of the refereeing/VAR. It's easy to see how City win so many games in the first 5-10 minutes. They pressed so high, tried to suffocate us and not many teams could have withstood that at the same time as scoring two goals. So few teams play like that against us any more because it is basically playing to our strengths on the counter but we were ready for it and tactically got it spot on.

Watching live it seemed as though we were hanging on at times and a bit ragged but that was obviously just my nerves getting the better of reason because our defending was very controlled. City's signature move is the overload in wide areas, getting the ball to the bye line, then the pull back for the on rushing attacker. They get loads of goals like that normally. It just didn't happen in this game. We cut off all the passing lines. Blocked the cut backs. It was very disciplined defending.

Our long passing was brilliant in the first half. Best illustrated by the second goal, easily the best team goal we've scored this season but there were plenty of other examples of long accurate passing, usually switching the play from one side to the other from Gini, Henderson, Trent, even Alisson. The second half was not as good and the substitution of Henderson was a turning point. We seemed to go very narrow from then on, trying to low block the game out and just conceded the flanks. Also our passing went off a cliff and we give the ball away far too easily in the last 15 minutes or so. Tiredness both physical and mental obviously played a part in this.

Even so we didn't give up too many clear cut chances and Alisson wasn't over-worked. The Silva goal was well worked but it wasn't a high percentage chance. Just a really good finish that clipped the inside of the post on the way in. City did play well and wore us out in a way few if any teams do, but it was an epic counter-attacking performance from us which we haven't been given full credit for.

FGred