Post Match: Liverpool v Man City (EPL 7/10/18 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Gomez

Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Lovren

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • Robertson

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Milner (off 28’)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Firmino (off 72')

• Mane

• Keita (on 28’)

• Sturridge (on 72')

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
The easier fixture list will ensure we play with a bit more pomp, so the front three should start firing. Either way; if our defence keeps playing as well as they are doing then we don't 3, 4 or 5 goals, we just need 1 or maybe 2. That's progress in itself.
4-0, and 5-0 wins are confidence booster for our strikers and some really need it.

loudmouthmiller1892

Captain of the Sandon Hotel's debating team
4-0, and 5-0 wins are confidence booster for our strikers and some really need it.
Ye mate, sort of agree. If they happen, then great! But if we scored 6 goals over the next three games, and the front three go two each, then that's really good too. Besides, the goals in 4 or 5-0 are very rarely distributed evenly between the players who need them most (i.e. the front three), but they come from other parts of the pitch. For instance, Matip's recent goal came from a corner, and while it gave the team, fans and himself a boost, it didn't do anything for the confidence of the front three. Only goals which they score themselves can do that. So, we could win 10-0 but only one of the front three gets one goal. That's gonna make the fat-cat bullies happy, but I'd rather just win the game. We were boss last year but the fact that we never aired on the side caution may have been a factor in us not winning anything. A lot of the people who want us to smash teams are people who only started supporting us last year (not including yourself in that one) and they will drop us as soon as we stop entertaining them. Basically, they are saying: "Entertain us or we will get disillusioned and support someone else". Last year teams couldn't live with our attacks, but now they're struggling to score against us. It's swings and roundabouts. What a difference year makes.

FGred

Fair result. Pep clearly fears us, and basically set up to not lose rather than win. As many have picked up on, how Fernandinho stayed on the pitch is beyond me - fucking shithouse. (The sort of player we really need).

Very worried about the front three. Mane's been poor, Bobby looks a little bit lost, and Salah is far from Salah - at this point he's holding us back, and I think if those chances had fallen to Sturridge, at least one would have been in the net. His shooting is all over the place, and the few he gets on target are tame and right down the keeper's throat rather than in the corner. I realize we have to play him through it, but it's painful to watch in the meantime.

Penalty all day long at the other end - as soon as I saw Mahrez taking it I was surprised. When they flashed the graphic showing how many he'd missed in his last five, I started laughing.

Still waiting to see what the fuss was about Keita. The Bundesliga wonks and the Twitterati led me to believe we were getting an absolute monster of a player, the worthy heir the number 8 jersey, a guy who'd fit into our midfield seamlessly and take it to the next level. Not seeing that, personally. Hopefully it'll come.

I mean, end of the day we're joint top, already played Chelsea, Spurs, and Citeh. But been a poor fortnight of performances and results.
I think that Keita is terrified by how ferocious the EPL is either that or he will take as long as bobby to adjust?

I think with Keita at his last club he had much more freedom and somewhat unrestricted in how he played,Klopp demands a lot of focus and defensive duties are a must so maybe he's struggling to adapt to having more responsibility in the team,Klopp does say that players only get comfortable when you don't have to think you just do and Keita seems to be still thinking too much.

If that makes any sense.:eh?:

FGred

I actually thought there were positives today from Salah. A few times in the past couple of weeks, it was hard to avoid the thought that he has forgotten how to play. His movement was wrong, his first touch was off and usually heavy, easy to dispossess, and his shots were weak. Today, he didn't get much to work with, but he did far more with it. Fought hard for the contestable balls, controlled it better when he had it and a much better first touch. The finishing still seems far off, but his last two performances had me thinking that playing through it wasn't going to work. Not so sure now.
I also think that since the start of the season the defenders have taken a leaf out of Ramos’ book, he is being roughed up every game now and the refs seem to be oblivious to it yesterday fernandickhead got away with murder yesterday.

Red over the water

Keita can be a no.10

In style of play no, but taking on the role of a no.10 they could. Keita has virtually been like a no.10 in earlier games. I don't honestly want a 'Coutinho' playing for us. He hindered more than he helped at times, for every 20 yarder he smashed in how many did he miss or not lay off to players in position. I'd love Draxler to be brought in because there are so many attacking positions he can cover and the thought of him behind Bobby makes me moist....what??....I said what!?
Good shout on Draxler as a player. How much is he being used at PSG? If not a lot, we might have a chance. I think we expressed interest before he went to PSG but he gave off a bit of a whiff of being too interested in money. At least that how I remember it. Maybe the way forward is a younger player? Pulisic? Sancho? Other?

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
I think with Keita at his last club he had much more freedom and somewhat unrestricted in how he played,Klopp demands a lot of focus and defensive duties are a must so maybe he's struggling to adapt to having more responsibility in the team,Klopp does say that players only get comfortable when you don't have to think you just do and Keita seems to be still thinking too much.

If that makes any sense.:eh?:
I think he is curbing his natural game, almost certainly under instruction. The complexity of Klopp's tactics, especially the press, is under-estimated and he is still unsure of when to close down and when to back off. Milner, Gini and Henderson know this stuff inside out and can do it with their eyes shut which is why JK picks them in the big games. Keita is learning to play in a different way. He has probably had a few bollockings about conceding possession too easily as well. He might be doubting himself at the moment but he's got to stick with it and we've just got to be patient.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I think he is curbing his natural game, almost certainly under instruction. The complexity of Klopp's tactics, especially the press, is under-estimated and he is still unsure of when to close down and when to back off. Milner, Gini and Henderson know this stuff inside out and can do it with their eyes shut which is why JK picks them in the big games. Keita is learning to play in a different way. He has probably had a few bollockings about conceding possession too easily as well. He might be doubting himself at the moment but he's got to stick with it and we've just got to be patient.
Yeah, I think the positional sense and pressing timing would be key to his position. When should he move in for a press and when should he stayed back, and when to track back, who to mark and so on. That needs time to adapt coming from another country and league. But for me, it also has a lot to do with more physical and pace of the league. German football may looked full-throttle, but they really aren't. The pace in English Premier League is unique to the league and a lot of players find it hard to adapt. Keita looked lost a times, doesn't know when to pass, dribble, where to track back, who to cover and he's probably been warned not to bring that rashness in his tackle from his Leipzig days here.

If he could have a word with Oxlade and learn how he adapts, then Keita would probably be ready at the right time when the matches will come thick and fast.

loudmouthmiller1892

I think that Keita is terrified by how ferocious the EPL is either that or he will take as long as bobby to adjust?
You're spot on! The EPL is very, very scary. He's got plenty of time to bed in. If he was a proven 29 yr old who cost us a lot more than Naby did (I know he cost a fair bit, mind you) then I would expect results quite quickly. Because, if he didn't, then three years would pass quickly without us getting any ROI. In most leagues it's like the F1 used to be. You usually have a Ferrari, and sometimes a Mercedes- who push them all the way. However, EPL has a couple of Ferraris and Mercedes and almost everybody else is a Red Bull as opposed to a Minardi. Even the top players can't stroll straight in here and take the piss (apart from the odd exceptional exception), and if they could would this be truly the best league in the world? The game against City would have been like playing football on the motorway. The speed, tempo and jeopardy will have been nothing like he's experienced before, in Germany. You can tell by the look on his face that he's having to work hard to adjust to EPL and LFC intensity, but there's nothing wrong with that. It will make him better. If he was strolling it from the off he would become nonchalant. A bit of struggle will keep him grounded, as in he'll be too busy trying to adjust which will leave him less time to disappear up his own arse. Go ask City fans what they think of Robinho. Getting the bus like a 'normal' person didn't undo his reputation for being a spoiled arse.

Ah, so forearm smashes are allowed in the EPL now - I never knew that. And how much dirtier is Mendy going to get before he sees a red card. And as for Mo Salah, if he's not going to receive more protection from referees then we're going to have to get him measured up for a suit of armour. He's getting a far rougher ride this season than last.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Ah, so forearm smashes are allowed in the EPL now - I never knew that. And how much dirtier is Mendy going to get before he sees a red card. And as for Mo Salah, if he's not going to receive more protection from referees then we're going to have to get him measured up for a suit of armour. He's getting a far rougher ride this season than last.
One of the larger players needs to be willing to take a yellow and create a confrontation that earns defenders a matching yellow every time that happens.

loudmouthmiller1892

I know, we should be using Mo as a decoy now. A lot of people on here bemoaning the fact we haven't got a no 10. This is where a 10 could find time and space on the edge of the box because of the attention given to Mo .
I hope Naby becomes a late arriving midfielder with an eye for goal. He hasn't bought his shooting boots with him as yet, but I am convinced that lad will come good.
I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but Lallana does some good work (not necessarily in the 10) in the pocket between mids and CF. Not very creative but works hard, is technically proficient and can score if he gets a clear cut chance. Would a fit Lallana even get in the team, though?

loudmouthmiller1892

One of the larger players needs to be willing to take a yellow and create a confrontation that earns defenders a matching yellow every time that happens.
Mo could always -not dive per se- but play possom, if not to cheat then to readdress the balance of this physicality. Because, they know they are not technically fouling him when they give him this undue attention, so he's not technically simulating when he protests to the ref and plays the victim. Both tactics are not very sporting but are not technically cheating neither. What I'm basically saying is: we can all be auld arses, so let us be the best at it.

I know, we should be using Mo as a decoy now. A lot of people on here bemoaning the fact we haven't got a no 10. This is where a 10 could find time and space on the edge of the box because of the attention given to Mo .
I hope Naby becomes a late arriving midfielder with an eye for goal. He hasn't bought his shooting boots with him as yet, but I am convinced that lad will come good.
I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but Lallana does some good work (not necessarily in the 10) in the pocket between mids and CF. Not very creative but works hard, is technically proficient and can score if he gets a clear cut chance. Would a fit Lallana even get in the team, though?
I would say Lallana would be a good choice as a game changer in the last third of a match. I think he's still got something to give to the team. As for Keita I'm not too bothered at the minute with his lack of goals. He's still bedding into the side, but he's too good a player not to come good, and then the goals will come. I'm still wondering why we didn't put a bid in for Fekir, so maybe in the January window?

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Didn't Lovren catch Jesus across the face late on and got away with it (probably because he was in the penalty box)?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Didn't Lovren catch Jesus across the face late on and got away with it (probably because he was in the penalty box)?
He did, but no way it was intentional - his arm was stretched out behind him and his head was turned away toward the goal and the line of travel of the ball. No comparison to Fernandinho leading with a forearm bar as he jumped into an opponent.

loudmouthmiller1892

I would say Lallana would be a good choice as a game changer in the last third of a match. I think he's still got something to give to the team. As for Keita I'm not too bothered at the minute with his lack of goals. He's still bedding into the side, but he's too good a player not to come good, and then the goals will come. I'm still wondering why we didn't put a bid in for Fekir, so maybe in the January window?
Finally, another person who hasn't lost faith in Lallana. We are a dying breed, mate. It's a shame about Fekhir, but if not him, then hopefully our scouts are out there looking for an alternative. The thing is; quality 10s are thin on the ground and any club which has one, understandably, wants to keep hold of them. Plus, the lazy bastards know that we have a grafting culture at the club, and would rather stroll around in Serie A than push themselves at LFC in the EPL. If we had Fekhir, or any number 10, how much would he play though? We assume that he would be straight in because presently we are crying out for a creative. However, Fab and Naby have been unable to break into and cement a place in the side, respectively, because of the pace of the league and the complexity of our system. In fact, the old guard have had to step up and show them how its done. There is no guarantee that Fekihr wouldn't fall into the same bracket as Fab and Naby i.e. good player with tons of potential, but who is struggling to bed in. If that was the case then Jurgs wouldn't risk him- whether we were crying out for a 10 or not. Plus, if the front three are not finishing very well, the 10 wouldn't be getting many assists, but would, instead, be creating chances only for them to squander. He would probably have to score a good few himself in order to justify his inclusion. I'd like to see us get more off set pieces, though. Virg has come close a few times, and Matip scored off a corner against S'ton. I would have liked to seen us do to Napoli what the bus-parkers used to do to us i.e. play shit and then get an equalizer in the 91st minute from a set-piece.

Last edited:

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
You can add me to that lot...

Class and quality are permanent. Hopefully he can get his body right, which certainly isn't out of the question...see Daniel Sturridge.
What he will need is time to get 'match fit'. No way can he come back from his lengthy spells and hit the ground running. Will we as fans give him that time?

LeoT

Just re-watched the game on LFC TV and couldn't help noticing just how good Wijnaldum was. Changed my MOTM vote to Gini. A brilliant and under-rated player.
Gini was amazing yesterday.
I suspect if Keita played to the level Gini played yesterday he probably would have been voted Man of the Match.

Its not a competition between them, but hopefully Keita will get fully acclimatized soon, I hope he's going to be an absolute monster.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Gini was amazing yesterday.
I suspect if Keita played to the level Gini played yesterday he probably would have been voted Man of the Match.

Its not a competition between them, but hopefully Keita will get fully acclimatized soon, I hope he's going to be an absolute monster.
Just a shame he wasn't as good on Sunday :tongue:

Foldy

Good shout on Draxler as a player. How much is he being used at PSG? If not a lot, we might have a chance. I think we expressed interest before he went to PSG but he gave off a bit of a whiff of being too interested in money. At least that how I remember it. Maybe the way forward is a younger player? Pulisic? Sancho? Other?
I think Pulisic would be excellent, he can play on the left or the right, fast, intelligent. Klopp likes him but I think he wanted him to learn more where he is before showing a real intent on buying him. We really need somebody this January.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Thing is if you play Spurs, Southampton, PSG, Napoli, Chelsea and Man City in a short space of time and come out with 3 wins and 2 draws (Ignore the league cup it was 8 reserve players for starters). would you ever call that a dip. It's an absolutely crazy schedule that even we won't face again this season. To come out of it level on points at the top and still in a positive position in Europe without really playing particularly well. I'll take that.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
While my heart agrees with you, my head says, with Martin "expletive deleted" Atkinson in charge, our players would end up getting red cards.

Atkinson set the tone on 3:30 minutes when he failed to penalise Mendy for blatantly and cynically taking out Bob. Ok, he played advantage, but when none materialised he should have pulled play back and penalised Mendy.

Typical Atkinson. :unhappy:

Abdel

Anyone else noticed how Hendo was begging for a pass but was refused...

Because he is predictable
They know he will pass it back or sideways ( they can do it themselves )
Also you can see in the clip that he don't position himself to beat the opposition pressing .

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Before reading all these comments about Atkinson I thought that he had a decent game. I know realize that he was at best average. Yes he could have thrown out Fernadinho but we got away with some as well. Henderson in particular escaped a textbook yellow.

Still it's telling that he was better compared to the wankers we've seen lately at Anfield. At least he didn't make a game-altering decision which was completely wrong.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
1) we are level on top, unbeaten and have two draws with the two teams top with us. Thats progress ! And that is by no means bad considering we have otherwise not dropped a point.
2) man City we scarred by the way we dumped them out of the CL and came here NOT to play their usual free flowing football, but had to devise another plan to try and stop us. That means they respect us and are wary of us ! that is progress.

3) someone once said a good attack wins games and a good defence wins the league. We have the joint best goals again with Manc. Another sign of progress.
4) as for our attack, yes teams are trying new way to stop them, including over the top , against the rules tackles and barges etc. I just hope the ref gives them protection. But as I said a few weeks ago, we are now like Liverpool in their 80s pomp- we can only be beat by dodgy refs, dirty opponents, or the odd lapse.

5)
Thing is if you play Spurs, Southampton, PSG, Napoli, Chelsea and Man City in a short space of time and come out with 3 wins and 2 draws (Ignore the league cup it was 8 reserve players for starters). would you ever call that a dip. It's an absolutely crazy schedule that even we won't face again this season. To come out of it level on points at the top and still in a positive position in Europe without really playing particularly well. I'll take that.
totally agree with the above. A dip is when you lose the league in September and have a semi meltdown in October.... Getting two draws against our two current biggest rivals in a very hard period is good not bad !

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Before reading all these comments about Atkinson I thought that he had a decent game. I know realize that he was at best average. Yes he could have thrown out Fernadinho but we got away with some as well. Henderson in particular escaped a textbook yellow.

Still it's telling that he was better compared to the wankers we've seen lately at Anfield. At least he didn't make a game-altering decision which was completely wrong.
Fernandinho should have had six or seven yellows. Mendy should have had three.

No, he didn’t disallow a perfectly good goal, or anything like that, but we didn’t really give him the opportunity.