Post Match: Liverpool v Man Utd (EPL 19/1/20 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Gomez

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Van Dijk [GOAL 14’]

Votes: 108 61.7%
  • Robertson

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Henderson

Votes: 87 49.7%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 83 47.4%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 66’]

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Salah [GOAL 90+2’]

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • Firmino [off 82]

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Mane [off 82’]

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Lallana [on 66’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho [on 82’]

• Origi [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Limiescouse

Van Dijk...afraid? Does not compute.

*cricket analogy alert* Watching Van Dijk defend is a bit like watching a great batsman play spin bowling. He's either on the front foot or on the back, no in between. He will go and win the ball if it's there to be won but if it's not he'll back himself to be able to match the opponent for pace or he'll drop off to cover a run. The likes of Maguire and Lovren will go all in all the time because they can't deal with players running at them, Van Dijk, as well as Gomez, are totally confident when left 1v1.
Perfectly said. He wins so many balls before the forward has had the chance to receive it that you cannot call him a back foot defender. He is very proactive, but he's also a great decision maker. If he cant win it he then steps off and makes the forward beat him, which they can't. The only downside is it takes a second or two longer to win the ball back that way.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
He always looks like he's on the verge of tears. Can't get enough of him myself. A great watch.
I'm fascinated by the physical mutation he went through. I watched a post match interview a few months after he got the job, and it could just as well be David Moyes standing there. He literally looked like him. Scary stuff. The hair, the lines in his face, the unhealthy skin complexion, the sad eyes. No more baby face. The ring weighs heavily.

Limiescouse

Souness made the killer point in the post Match: how is Van Dijk meant to fairly challenge for the ball? How can he make an attempt for it any more fairly?
By going straight up and down and not touching the keeper.

By getting his head to the ball before any contact is made.

Seriously this needs to end as its a bad look for the forum crying about not being given a goal that is a foul 999 times out of 1000. Sure, the PGMOL are idiots, and you can complain about VAR and clear and obvious errors, but it was the right decision.

Alright Now

I'm fascinated by the physical mutation he went through. I watched a post match interview a few months after he got the job, and it could just as well be David Moyes standing there. He literally looked like him. Scary stuff. The hair, the lines in his face, the unhealthy skin complexion, the sad eyes. No more baby face. The ring weighs heavily.
Even his look-alike Doogie Howser aged to become Barney Stinson.

Sweeting

By going straight up and down and not touching the keeper.

By getting his head to the ball before any contact is made.

Seriously this needs to end as its a bad look for the forum crying about not being given a goal that is a foul 999 times out of 1000. Sure, the PGMOL are idiots, and you can complain about VAR and clear and obvious errors, but it was the right decision.
I have no issue with the free kick being given (especially as we won). At worst it is debatable, it is certainly not a scandal.

The talking point should be that De Gea has once again been made to look like a little child when the contest is an aerial one. Even if the decision is a foul there is no way a goalkeeper should be getting dominated like that in his own six yard box - even against Virgil.

I think Neville said in commentary that he wants to see De Gea leading with his knee to clear the space, being assertive and going and, at the very least, making strong contact with the ball. Instead he rather flimsily jumped in hope of catching it and was bailed out by a slight nudge on his shoulder. It was really poor goalkeeping, all his old weaknesses are coming back.

Red over the water

Two goals chalked off by VAR, both correct decisions. The offside was obvious. We can debate the Van Dijk/De Gea thing, but the fact is goalkeepers have been a protected species for many years, and there’s no way that is not given as a foul. It only became a thing because the ref didn’t call it right away. They protested - the ref should have stood his ground and if pushed over, should have given 2-3 red cards. The Snarling Man Utd players should be all over the press, but it’s barely a footnote. But in the end the goal was chalked off.

Soft? Yes, as De Gea was hardly clattered. But the decision was in keeping with what we’ve seen for a decade or more, as goalkeepers are so protected.

The main thing I like is that even with having a couple chalked off, we didn’t let it get to us. There’s a massive difference between the Mentality Monsters and the VAR Victims at the Emptyhad on that score.

It’s the day after, and it’s a great day. Tough game at Wolves coming up. Minamino to score in that one. You heard it here first.

SBYM

What the fuck do you want?
Ad-free Member
I have no issue with the free kick being given (especially as we won). At worst it is debatable, it is certainly not a scandal.

The talking point should be that De Gea has once again been made to look like a little child when the contest is an aerial one. Even if the decision is a foul there is no way a goalkeeper should be getting dominated like that in his own six yard box - even against Virgil.

I think Neville said in commentary that he wants to see De Gea leading with his knee to clear the space, being assertive and going and, at the very least, making strong contact with the ball. Instead he rather flimsily jumped in hope of catching it and was bailed out by a slight nudge on his shoulder. It was really poor goalkeeping, all his old weaknesses are coming back.
This is exactly how I see it.

It was a weak effort from one of their 'leaders'...as I said above he shoulda gone at it like a man and taken Virgil out (or at least tried...good luck...lol).

Instead he went at it like a wet lettuce leaf and saved all his intensity for waving his fingers in the ref's face.

No wonder they're neck deep in the shit. Long may it continue.

Red over the water

PS - I’ve been thinking about our perch.

We never said that of ourselves. We were hungry and humble, as someone pointed out earlier. That’s the Liverpool way. But early on in Ferguson’s tenure he talked about knocking us off our perch, which they did, both in becoming better than us for a good while, and also in racking up title after title, to ultimately lead us on that score by 20-18.

So my question is, what constitutes getting back on the perch?

Seeing Liverpool challenging for the title and Man Utd languishing in the Channel Five Cup spots?
Or do we have to win the title to be back on our perch?
Or do we have to surpass their 20 league titles to be back on our perch?
(I know we have more total trophies, and I especially like the difference in Europe, where we have been crowned champions of Europe twice as many times).

But what is the definitive view on what constitutes being back on our perch?

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Virgil makes no attempt to go for the ball? Is that the official position, or just manurite tyler's interpretation.

Either way, it's nonsense. Virgil jumps just as high as de gea. Or isn't anyone allowed to challenge the goalie for the ball now?
Sorry but that is a foul. There is not a single person posting on here who would not have been crying foul if that had been Maguire on Becker. 100 times out 100 that would be blown even in parks football. It was a bad call by the referee and VAR was correct in reversing it.

Limiescouse

After 20+ years in charge which was mostly a period of domestic superiority, with periods of dominance, Utd are no closer to our haul of European cup/Champions League wins than they were when he took over. That's a pretty good start. This title is another step, but I think to actually reclaim it we'd have to get to 20.

Wilkored08

Disgusting display in this age of VAR. Completely unnecessary and foul. I was shocked the ref didn't do more. Noway should a ref be forced or let himslf be pushed backwards. But then what can you expect from that club?
On ref watch this morning...it had been noted....and the FA await match reports from all officials...'we may not have heard the last f this incident' was the statement made by Dermot Gallagher.... We wait for a result!!!!

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Will Man Utd, as a club, be punished for failing to control their players, when they aggressively got in the face of the referee? Somehow, I doubt it. De Gea, especially was a disgrace, but a few others overstepped the mark as well. It reminded me of the Roy Keane years, when Ferguson obviously ordered his players to deliberately put pressure on referees.

Flobs

FADA
The key word is should.

Will it fk happen though - the FA has for years ignored calls for reform/review of decisions - we just need to grin and bear it.

I've given up on being angry about such things now - but for every VAR decision that goes against us, we can just point and laugh more when we get told we're lucky or LiVARpool....
Yes, we should save our anger for Manure and their foul antics. :)

Flobs

FADA
PS - I’ve been thinking about our perch.

We never said that of ourselves. We were hungry and humble, as someone pointed out earlier. That’s the Liverpool way. But early on in Ferguson’s tenure he talked about knocking us off our perch, which they did, both in becoming better than us for a good while, and also in racking up title after title, to ultimately lead us on that score by 20-18.

Seeing Liverpool challenging for the title and Man Utd languishing in the Channel Five Cup spots?
Or do we have to win the title to be back on our perch?
Or do we have to surpass their 20 league titles to be back on our perch?
(I know we have more total trophies, and I especially like the difference in Europe, where we have been crowned champions of Europe twice as many times).

But what is the definitive view on what constitutes being back on our perch?
Surely you should ask Red Nose.
As far as I'm concerned we don't have a perch as we never said we had one. By accepting a perch we demean ourselves to Manures level. It just shouldn't enter our vocabulary. It's a shame the media made such a fuss about it causeing some of us to take it seriously. We are Liverpool and our emblem is a Liverbird that's all.

Redsi73

Big question is now.........do Fab and Matip get back into this team ?

Crazy quesitn i know, but does JK disrupt that midfield flow, risk changing Hendos position and the defences remarkable clean sheets from early December.

koptician

We'll go again!

"To avoid being clattered by Maguire should be enough, but instead he opts for outright humiliation. Not only does he pull the England defender’s pants down, he then proceeds to hurl them into a swirling breeze to the point that they’re lost forever. Maguire is left standing around, his legs freezing in the chill Liverpool air, trying to figure out where it all went wrong for him."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Redsi73

After 20+ years in charge which was mostly a period of domestic superiority, with periods of dominance, Utd are no closer to our haul of European cup/Champions League wins than they were when he took over. That's a pretty good start. This title is another step, but I think to actually reclaim it we'd have to get to 20.
Talk to most modern Utd fans and their standard answer to that is that they have 13 PL titles and we have 0, so even if we did win it, it would be 13-1 lol............it's as if for many of them, football didn't start until the PL era started..............muppets.

:rolleyes:

Limiescouse

Ha, thats so funny they referred to him as a bully as that's exactly how I described him to a mate yesterday. When he plays like that he is like the 15 year old who has walked into a primary school kick around and taunts them into trying to win the ball back from him.

Redsi73

"To avoid being clattered by Maguire should be enough, but instead he opts for outright humiliation. Not only does he pull the England defender’s pants down, he then proceeds to hurl them into a swirling breeze to the point that they’re lost forever. Maguire is left standing around, his legs freezing in the chill Liverpool air, trying to figure out where it all went wrong for him."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Classic

"
Fred was the other Manchester United player on the receiving end of some Gini genius, watching the ball through his legs with bland, knowing acceptance.

He could have put up more of a fight, sure, but what’s the point when the outcome is effectively preordained. Why not laugh along with the bully as he dead-arms you rather than give away your frustration and open yourself up to more punishment?"

"Wijnaldum was spending the afternoon handing out embarrassments like a teacher distributing cookies to a class of pre-school children, coating them in an icing of inevitability. United’s Brazilian wasn’t in a position to do anything about the treatment besides calmly continuing his run in the knowledge that it was just his turn"

Class writing