Post Match: Liverpool v Man Utd (EPL 19/1/20 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Gomez

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Van Dijk [GOAL 14’]

Votes: 108 61.7%
  • Robertson

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Henderson

Votes: 87 49.7%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 83 47.4%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 66’]

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Salah [GOAL 90+2’]

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • Firmino [off 82]

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Mane [off 82’]

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Lallana [on 66’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho [on 82’]

• Origi [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
Never in doubt.

Despite the ref letting them get away with countless niggling fouls and general shithousery, we scored early and then generally kept them at arm’s length.

Matic should have seen red for that early assault on Gini- as I wrote in the match thread, Sadio was sent off for less against City in 2017.

Never a foul on De Gea for the disallowed Firmino “goal”- goalkeepers being over protected, as usual. And, foul or not, there is no excuse for players physically accosting a referee- at least one United player should have been sent off in that fracas.

Gini was fractionally offside for his disallowed “goal”- absolutely no complaints there. Great pass from Ox, all the same.
As has become the norm lately, the fact that we were unable to add to our lead meant that it became unnecessary squeaky bum time towards the end. Against better opposition, our profligacy may come back to haunt us. Thank fuck that Mo finally found his shooting boots at the very end. Better late than never.

How the fuck did Mo miss that chance at the start of the second half? The mind boggles. Hendo was desperately unlucky when he hit the post moments later- fingertip stuff from De Gea.

Good job that United’s finishing was even worse than ours. Pereira spurned a decent opportunity just before half time and Martial should definitely have done better when blazing over near the hour mark.

Gomez was very assured today- special mention to him. Henderson was superb and both Gini and Bobby unplayable at times. Robbo was way off the pace- a shocking attempted pass to Salah in stoppage time summed up his day.

Stat of the day: we now have more points than Man U and Everton combined.

MOTM: the late, great Hubert de Montille, whose intense, brooding 2011 Aux Malconsorts went down a treat with today’s roast beef.
Superb summary

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Bit late but was Ox injured or just disappointed?
I thought that Ox played a great game. He was limping a little bit after the tackle by Williams just before the 60th minute mark but appeared to be okay afterwards. Not sure if he was withdrawn because of the knock, precautions, or easing him back in while only giving him 60 minutes. Ox was extremely frustrated when he sat down after he got sub'ed.

Edit: Just realised that Klopp talked about Ox sub in the Wolves pre-match interview.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...urious-reaction-substituted-v-Man-United.html

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
My thoughts on all the VAR stupidity: When the questionable decisions go our way (was it Wolves?), we win. When they go against us - Bobby's armpit, Virgil bumping De Gea, WE STILL FREAKING WIN!!!
That's why everyone thinks we rely on it. When we get a decision we make the most of it. When we don't, we knuckle down and win regardless whereas other teams spend the rest of the game feeling sorry for themselves.

If you look at the CL, Super Cup and CWC we've had plenty of big decisions go against us/not get overturned there as well - Napoli's pen, Chelsea's pen, that red card incident etc. If Van Dijk fouled De Gea I'd like to know how he wasn't fouled for Napoli's goal at Anfield too.

Regardless, all VAR is is a system that despite its flaws gets to the correct decision more often than the old system. The argument against us is essentially that if we'd had more wrong decisions go against us we'd have fewer points.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
That's why everyone thinks we rely on it. When we get a decision we make the most of it. When we don't, we knuckle down and win regardless whereas other teams spend the rest of the game feeling sorry for themselves.

If you look at the CL, Super Cup and CWC we've had plenty of big decisions go against us/not get overturned there as well - Napoli's pen, Chelsea's pen, that red card incident etc. If Van Dijk fouled De Gea I'd like to know how he wasn't fouled for Napoli's goal at Anfield too.

Regardless, all VAR is is a system that despite its flaws gets to the correct decision more often than the old system. The argument against us is essentially that if we'd had more wrong decisions go against us we'd have fewer points.
Exactly - the decisions that went against us were clearly not critical decisions because, well, we won the game anyway.
On balance there have been plenty of bad decisions and unlucky moments that went against us. This team just overcomes each time. It is truly amazing to watch and the sour grapes crowds from other team just can’t or won’t see it.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I haven't followed in detail the changes in United's fitness levels in the last year. But just on the basis of this one game, you have to say they were able to live with us in the last 15 minutes as well as anyone this season. Credit where credit's due.
They did what Spurs did the week before....

If Liverpool put two in the game plans buggered.

The Phenom

Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis
Exactly - the decisions that went against us were clearly not critical decisions because, well, we won the game anyway.
On balance there have been plenty of bad decisions and unlucky moments that went against us. This team just overcomes each time. It is truly amazing to watch and the sour grapes crowds from other team just can’t or won’t see it.
Their teeny weeny grey matter don't have the capacity to do so.
In other words, dumb skulls.

petergriffin2020

New here — writing from the USA. Been a supporter since 2007 and been to Anfield twice. The whole journey has been fun, but last 18 months have been particularly incredible. Anyway, massive, massive, massive result and one I have been meaning to express my thoughts about.

The whole season has been a rollercoaster ride (albeit mostly good!), but if there was a single post-Christmas game where I felt we might slip on a banana skin, it was this game. Not Tottenham away, not Leicester away, not even the two Wolves games, but this one. Not because I thought we would be outplayed, but just because United (particularly under Solskjaer) always seem to conjure up a bulls**t result when they don't deserve it...and because they were the only team we had dropped points to this season and would be coming to Anfield with nothing to lose. For all the camera saves he makes, De Gea has kept them in games with us over the years — even more frustratingly considering their League results here in 15-16, 16-17, and 17-18 seasons which he majorly influenced were ones after he should have been off to Madrid! Last season's win over United was nice, and us getting Mourinho sacked will always make me chuckle, but I had a bad feeling that Solskjaer (or Mike Phelan, really, since they're his tactics) had our number and United would s**thouse their way to another fluke result.

Didn't feel great for the first 10-15 minutes. We couldn't really get in a rhythm and they had a couple of times through James where a better ball could have led to either a Martial tap-in (1st) or him being clean through (2nd). We started to settle down, though, and while I knew they would press from the front, I also knew that they couldn't sustain that for 90 minutes (hence our equalizer at OT). Also, had a feeling that Klopp would be wise to how to combat the 3-5-2 having had three months to think about it. Still, felt under the cosh.

All that was rendered moot when Van Dijk dunked on Maguire on that corner. What a thumping header! I've probably watched that goal about 50 times since and it's equally satisfying every time. Right under the bar, power, and placement — doesn't get old.

Should have been 2-0 a number of times after — at initial glance I thought Firmino's goal would be disallowed but in hindsight that was a soft foul — and De Gea reared his (metaphorically) ugly head with objectively good saves, and then I was pretty certain United would equalize with both the Pereira and Martial chances. The last 15 minutes in particular was not fun and it looked like Lucky United would steal an undeserved point but Salah icing it at the death was so, so, so satisfying. As a United fan had said to me the Thursday before the game, "if you guys win this, the momentum will be fully with you."

If anything, I think this result makes that late equalizer at Old Trafford all the more vital. In that match, we were losing a game that we quite frankly deserved to lose, and they looked poised for a giant-killing, but we dampened their spirits and then took it to them in the reverse fixture. Who knows how different things would have been if they had held on for the victory on that day? I trust that Klopp's mentality giants would still have tried to find a way in the home game, but the belief shown to grind out that result surely had to help them — and the last 20 minutes at OT would have made them go "these are nothing special, go at them." I was in the D.C. Liverpool supporters bar when the equalizer went in, and while none of us were thrilled with a point, the place went bananas when the goal went in as most of us had accepted losing! Looking back I think (despite it being our only dropped points of the year) that was a big point for us psychologically. And seeing United fans so glum after the game made it more palatable!

The season isn't over yet, but this was a big test passed! Up the Reds.