Post Match: Liverpool v Middlesborough (EPL 21/5/17 3pm)

Discussion in 'Match Days' started by Mascot88, May 21, 2017.

?

Man of the Match

Poll closed May 28, 2017.
  1. Mignolet

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Clyne

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Matip

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. Lovren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Milner [off 85']

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Can

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. Wijnaldum [GOAL 45+1']

62 vote(s)
    48.8%
  8. Coutinho [GOAL 50']

46 vote(s)
    36.2%
  9. Lallana [GOAL 56']

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. Sturridge [off 82']

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  11. Firmino [off 78']

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  12. Lucas [on 78']

6 vote(s)
    4.7%
  13. Origi [on 82']

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Moreno [on 85]

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Well done lads, 76 points and CL qualification, very satisfying after a season of ups and downs. There's room for improvement, but the last couple of wins and really last couple of months showed the type of character (grinding out results) we will need heading into next season.

At this juncture, just like to say thanks to fellow members of the site for another season of interaction, discussions are not always in unison and from the same song sheet but almost always conducted in the right manner with humour too. Thanks to site admins and owners.

FGred, inaiq, redbj and 7 others like this.
  2. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I just saw the video with Kenny presenting a memento to Lucas. I cried, he said 'I am so proud to wear the shirt every day of my life'. I was so emotional as him. He spent 10 years of his life at Liverpool. He really is going to miss the club, city and the people. He said his kids will be coming back to Anfield in the future. I hope he gets some sort of role at LFC, when he retires from football.

FGred, Lowton_Red, POBox and 10 others like this.
  3. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I don't know why, I really felt sorry for Moreno too. He was playing with his little girl. He kind of looked abit sad.
    I hate it when nice players leave, its not his fault he is not that great a LB. He worked really hard in training and tried his very best and gave it his all. It just was not meant to be for him at LFC.

Scott Jones, FGred, nikz200 and 7 others like this.
  4. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

£50k a week Maria, don't ever feel bad.

FGred, legalalien, SBYM and 2 others like this.
  5. BostonMick

BostonMick TIA New Signing no more! Valued Member

Great assessment....
    To your point we have a free kick taker....yes
    But who the heck is going to solve our corner taking issue?

6. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Nikola to the airport. Admin

Is it because his little girl was megging him time and time again, and/or putting in better crosses for the other kids?

Lowton_Red, treboeth, Libero and 2 others like this.
  7. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Tbh, his daughter looked stressed when he was trying to coax her into crawling towards him, bless her. I wish it worked out for him. I hope he finds a nice club where he can play at his level.

FGred, inaiq, redbj and 1 other person like this.
  8. redaderry

redaderry Well-Known Member

Not United or Everton :shocked:

FGred and inaiq like this.
  9. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I have a feeling he will return to Spain perhaps.

10. Wilkored08

Wilkored08 Active Member

And so we sleep tonight, waiting for the 14th of June.....and then look forward to August. So glad I'm a Scouser.

FGred, inaiq, Alright Now and 2 others like this.
  11. Spitfire

Spitfire Resident Realist

Watching on TV as Arsenal and Man City scored early had this feeling of here we go again, thankfully over the course of the game our play was rewarded.

We all know where we need to strengthen and perhaps who may no longer be with us next year, but when you look at this squad its size and depth, top 4 is a good result.

Now we need to build on it - the argument now, is there are no excuses we are in the best position we have been to launch something for a number of seasons.

It will be an interesting off season.......

POBox and redbj like this.
  12. Gazmaninaus

Gazmaninaus Well-Known Member

Yes they are, they play Sydney FC on Wednesday night, our time, not much of a turn around for the lads. Sydney FC will be ramping at the bit, which will be a bit unfair on our lads. However, I've got tickets, with the other 85,000, so its a full house, and a big game, for supporters on this side of the world.
    Well done to the lads, 76 points is a good tally, so it shows how tight the competition was.

FGred, inaiq, Alright Now and 3 others like this.
  13. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

Make sure you sing and cheer your arse off for them. Great effort this year.

I was there at the 'G in 2013. Will be a cracker night.

FGred, inaiq, Alright Now and 2 others like this.
  14. Isle

Isle Active Member

It was a wonderful season, with several plot twists and ups and downs. It was exhausting at times but I am always melancholy to see it end. The one area I completely disagree with the pundits about the Top 4: I don't believe any other team in the top 4 dealt with as many 'serious' injuries as Liverpool did. Hendo, Lallana, Coutinho and of course Mane all missed significant time. When you consider their relative importance to the Liverpool side each player represents, the results could have been catastrophic. I'd like to see how the other 3 teams would have done losing 4 players of equal significance. Maybe they did and I just wasn't paying attention but I don't believe so. All that said, it seems to be a popular opinion that JK is a year ahead of where everyone thought this side would be (at this time).

I had an amazing time posting here at TIA as a first time regular. Truth be told, I developed this inexplicable superstition that me posting during the GDT was giving the team bad luck so I stopped doing that! It was very difficult to not post as I always enjoy the camaraderie (and a bit of neuroses) on gameday. I felt like I was providing for them a bad luck charm! All kidding aside, this is a wonderful forum with a great collection of Liverpool supporters.

15. Reds

Reds TIA Youth Team

Got 4th place through the help of German engineering. Never doubt German engineering.

16. charleslee89

charleslee89 TIA New Signing

With this match and the west ham, it seems we stumbled onto a formation that allows us to unlock teams that park an entire cruise ship on the pitch. We know how to break teams that open up. By some luck, we now know how to beat the other teams outside the top 6.

2 advantages for these. One, we now have a viable plan B if mane/firmino is out. Two, the other teams will have difficulty in predicting and countering our lineup and formation, not knowing if they should do a low block or take the game to us. Too low a block, the midfielders will run thru' the channels and burst thru' like what Gini did today. Take the game to us, the wingers will punish them.

17. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

Why aren't you attending this year? Better be a good reason.

18. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Vorsprung durch technik.

19. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Vorsprung durch Kloppnik

Maria, Scott Jones, FGred and 2 others like this.
  20. shankly96

shankly96 I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like

...and now i'm listening to parklife

FGred likes this.
  21. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

Long way to go for a friendly...

QF1_FlightRoute.jpg

Maria, FGred, inaiq and 2 others like this.
  22. yiannos33

yiannos33 TIA Reserve Team

Had a few drinks after the game (6) and they tasted yummy.
    I'm going to sleep great tonight. Thank you Klopp.Thank you
    LFC you're the best!

FGred, inaiq, Foldy and 2 others like this.
  23. redbj

redbj hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

apart from Gerrard, they haven't announced any players, and its three days after the season finishes...if it was in Melbourne id probably go regardless, but its in Sydney....so fuck that. (no offence to Sydneysiders even in jest, im just talking about the expense of the trip and time away from family for....whatever shambles its going to end up being)

they wouldn't even ask the boys to play in Europe three days later....and this is a full few time zones and 18 hours of flying later.

its mind boggling.

Libero and Alright Now like this.
  24. Gazmaninaus

Just letting you know, the fastest trip to Sydney from London, or England, is 23 hours. Anyway, the tickets, sold out in 18 mintues, so tough one to get tickets. Got mine through a local supporters club. 18 minutes to fill a stadium, with people, knowing its a dead rubber, now, that's got to give the playing lads, some goosebumps.

FGred likes this.
  25. Gazmaninaus

My kids bought me the tickets for my birthday, so, I can't wait, but the best thing, regardless of who plays, will be standing next to my two grown up daughters, singing you'll never walk alone, that alone is worth the ticket. LFC are a big draw card in this neck of the woods. One thing, the TV ads here, are all claiming, Klopp is definitely coming, so that's a bonus, maybe the other lads will, turn up too. Gerrard and Klopp v Sydney FC, lets, hope Sydney don't park the bus, I couldn't handle, another 0-0 draw.

Maria, FGred, inaiq and 2 others like this.
  26. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

Man, what a way to end the season. The first half was tough and frustrating to watch as the boys were tense and looked to shoot from awful positions and Arsenal was already winning, but Gini came through with a beautiful goal to loosen everyone up. The second half was much more enjoyable, especially after Coutinho's free kick, and it's a deserved win and qualification to the CL.

76 points, 2nd best season in like 8yrs, despite having long absences from Coutinho, Mane, Lallana and Henderson, shows the improvement we've made and that we have the right man at the helm to continue to steer us towards the top again. 4th place isn't a trophy (except for Arsene) but it is an achievement and one that should help us bring quality players.

To all those fans (lol) who always doubted this team and the only thing they believed long ago is that we'd finish out of the top 4, the team showed you were to stick that pessimism.

Now let's go shopping!!

FGred, inaiq, Wyld@Heart and 2 others like this.
  27. Etipafilaf

Etipafilaf "If we want, this can be a real special day."

Happy to see Klopp's project take another step forward.

It was great to see the squad accept the challenge in the final two games when the pressure was on. Two comfortable wins vs inferior opposition, I.e. The way you would expect a top team to respond.

One of the most exciting things is Klopp is proving he has the ability to push his squads to exceed expectations. Thus, when we improve the quality and depth of the squad, anything and everything should be within reach next season.

It was a nice touch by Klopp to try to get the players who may be headed elsewhere one last experience on the pitch at Anfield. I like the man more and more by the day...

28. Alright Now

Sorry, my online compass had a bad location on you. Walk on.

Scott Jones, SBYM and inaiq like this.
  29. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

Job well done.
    76 points is a good season, no matter what place you end up in, even more so when the previous season we had 60.
    I am happy we will be in the CL next season, but I agree with Fowler and many others, 4th place is nothing to celebrate.

Next season will be better.

30. Alright Now

Just watched the replay again, wearing my new Bob kit, listening to Mark Knopfler pick Portobello Belle, relaxing fully, and smiling ear to ear.

FGred and inaiq like this.