• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool v Monterrey (WCC 18/12/19 17.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 80 76.2%
  • Milner [off 74’]

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Gomez

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Robertson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lallana

• Keita [GOAL 11’]

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Shaqiri [off 68’]

• Origi [off 85’]

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Mane [on 68’]

• Alexander-Arnold [on 74’]

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Firmino [on 85’, GOAL 90+1’]

Votes: 15 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Missed the winner as I was reading Goldilocks to the kids in bed.
We won and that all that matters. Was disjointed in places and Monterey were in full turbo mode but we had a strong bench (unlike last night!) and it turned it in our favour.
Squad players got minutes under their belt and keita and Ox looked lively.

koptician

We'll go again!
Yes but defensively they aren't at the required level. Ox especially.
yeah so unless it's an easy home game or there's an injury issue I'd only play one of them at a time

@Red Armada you raise a valid point about balance. without balance even the attacking players won't have enough of the ball in the right areas to create enough chances to score.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Glad we got this match out of the way with no extra time. It was frustrating at times and the Monterrey team were well drilled and also got their Diploma from the Mexican equivalent to RADA.

Our lads did really well. I am loving Naby at the moment. He is blossoming into what we know he is world class player. Hendo put in a massive shift in his unnatural position, Alisson saved us on many occasions, Salah was brilliant with his passes and Bobby scored a screamer at the end.

It is a good job Monterrey did not injure Salah too much , otherwise the locals would be baying for blood of Monterrey.

What are Flamengo like?

They are dying to play us, as we represent Europe and they want to get one over us by saying South America are world club champions.

FGred

Liverpool really tested my ticker today and so did the chilean ref they were talking to him in Spanish throughout the game and he gave us the bare minimum some of the free kicks he gave were baffling all they had to do was go down and scream and they got it but our B team put up with all of that until we introduced the ringers game over. In the final we will have to use a bit more guile in their box by going down a the mere touch I know I am going to get shouted down about that. With big Virg coming back and even Gini and the 3 musketeers and hopefully a neutral ref we have a chance?

watching in Mexico on Fox with dirty pro-Mexican commentary saying shit like 'allison is only one of the best, not the best' and the guy wanking himself when they had any opportunity, kind of ruined it, well till Bobby fucked them over. Diving, cheating shits since the first few mins, fuck off, back here. I swear they've never played that good ever, this was their final and they didn't pass the audition, shame hahaha! Keita magic again, needs to start, can't wait for him and Fab in midfield with Gini or Hendo. Ox blows hot and cold, much like Divock. Made up that we march to another final, this team, this feckin' team, bunch of serial winners!
seriously embarrassing

Magnus

Yes but defensively they aren't at the required level. Ox especially.
They are in glimpses though.
Don't forget how weak Keita was only a couple of months ago, and look at him in the last 4-5 games. He is now very good. Oxlaide had that horrific injury, but we know his potential. He has shown lately glimpses of his greatness. We need to be patient with him, such injuries almost always leads to serious set backs. It may very well be that he will only return to his potential next season, but that is okay. For now, he is good enough as a substitute and good enough to start a game now and then. I have a lot of faith in that guy, really like what he is capable of.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Alisson MOTM. What a relief to have the world's best goalkeeper. Their equalizer was courtesy of a make shift back 4. Couldn't see that happening with VVD playing.
They employed the dark arts and won a number of dubious free kicks. Glad we made it through to the final, lets win this trophy!
Naby continuing his excellent run of form and bagging a sweet goal. Hendo played well, as did Salah.
So a low beat performance delivers the goods!!!

Not Worthy

Missed the winner as I was reading Goldilocks to the kids in bed.
We won and that all that matters. Was disjointed in places and Monterey were in full turbo mode but we had a strong bench (unlike last night!) and it turned it in our favour.
Squad players got minutes under their belt and keita and Ox looked lively.
Kids !!! Selfish, unthinking time-consumers...

MarcusBerglund

Alisson MoM and that says a lot about our display. Not signing a versatile defender during the summer is a problem for us in the most intense period of the year. Playing with two midfielders in defence is a real risk. And I don't see why people are praising Hendo. Shouting to the referee or the opposition players is not his main job. I know that he played in a new position for a first time, mistakes happen and I have no problem with that. But i have problem with the fact that for 90 minutes our captain made zero tackles and instead of playing the ball from defence, adding another option from defence /like a qarterback in American football/, every time he had a good option to pass the ball forward, he passed to Gomez, letting him have the responsibility.

Lallana as a defensive midfielder is an experiment that must stop. Adam with zero tackles for 90 minutes, always late and letting the Mexicans attack and shoot at Becker every time they went into our half. AOC with a mediocre display, annonymous for the first 40 minutes, then had nice 5 minutes in the first half and somethnig similar in the second half, he needs consistency. It would have been much better to play Williams as a right back /that is his position/ and Millie in midfield, we all know how useful is James in central areas.

Robbo was not at his usual level. Shaqiri and Origi had a great chance today, but did not use it in the best possible way.

Gomez was decent /still has those stupid mistakes in his game - the yellow card was again a wrong choice of an important situation. If it was Lovren, he would have been criticized for the whole night here/, playing with a new partner against new type of opposition.

Salah was also good, but he did not get enough help from his teammates in offensive position. Actually the only offensive player from the starting 11 /bar Salah/ who had a good game was Keita. Naby is playing at a very good level, creating, scoring, tackling, dribbling. We will need him in the coming months, just stay fit.

Other postives from today:

- no new injuries

- we started and played for 65 minutes without VvD, Trent, Matip, Fabinho, Firmino, Wijnaldum, Mane. That is 7 first team leaders.

- winning in regular time is huge, no need to play at least extra 30 minutes in these conditions.

- happy to see players such as TAA, Virgil, Mane, Bobby getting some rest and not playing the full 90 minutes.

And finally reminding that Monterrey are not a good team. They are at the level of a leading team from Spanish Segunda divsion, something like Zaragoza or Malaga, not the best team in Spain's second division, but one of the good ones.
We had a poor game and let them have too many good situations. I don't understand how with less then 2 minutes left and 2-1 up, we gave them two very good chances and one of it was from a counter attack in the 93rd minute /it was 3 vs. 3/???

For Saturday I just want every player being put in his natural position. Play Ki Hoever in central defence, if Virgil is still ill. Play Neco as a full back, if Robbo or Trent needs a rest, play Milner in midfield and Lallana is not the new Pirlo or Xavi, he is a decent option as a number 8, but he is not and will never be number 6.

Flobs

FADA
TAA and Firmino made the difference, Salah very good, Keita excellent and rubbish (I mean we are poor at far post defense but not even going for the ball is even worst then again in these 'false rhythm' games he can really make a difference (so good in CL, CWC and against Bournemouth)) ;)

Red Submarine

We've won the fucking lot.
Glad we got this match out of the way with no extra time. It was frustrating at times and the Monterrey team were well drilled and also got their Diploma from the Mexican equivalent to RADA.

Our lads did really well. I am loving Naby at the moment. He is blossoming into what we know he is world class player. Hendo put in a massive shift in his unnatural position, Alisson saved us on many occasions, Salah was brilliant with his passes and Bobby scored a screamer at the end.

It is a good job Monterrey did not injure Salah too much , otherwise the locals would be baying for blood of Monterrey.

What are Flamengo like?

They are dying to play us, as we represent Europe and they want to get one over us by saying South America are world club champions.
They will pay for their insolence.