• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Monterrey (WCC 18/12/19 17.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 80 76.2%
  • Milner [off 74’]

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Gomez

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Robertson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lallana

• Keita [GOAL 11’]

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Shaqiri [off 68’]

• Origi [off 85’]

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Mane [on 68’]

• Alexander-Arnold [on 74’]

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Firmino [on 85’, GOAL 90+1’]

Votes: 15 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Missed the winner as I was reading Goldilocks to the kids in bed.
We won and that all that matters. Was disjointed in places and Monterey were in full turbo mode but we had a strong bench (unlike last night!) and it turned it in our favour.
Squad players got minutes under their belt and keita and Ox looked lively.
Is that the kids from last night? Didn't think they would be into Goldilocks.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Alisson MoM and that says a lot about our display. Not signing a versatile defender during the summer is a problem for us in the most intense period of the year. Playing with two midfielders in defence is a real risk. And I don't see why people are praising Hendo. Shouting to the referee or the opposition players is not his main job. I know that he played in a new position for a first time, mistakes happen and I have no problem with that. But i have problem with the fact that for 90 minutes our captain made zero tackles and instead of playing the ball from defence, adding another option from defence /like a qarterback in American football/, every time he had a good option to pass the ball forward, he passed to Gomez, letting him have the responsibility.

Lallana as a defensive midfielder is an experiment that must stop. Adam with zero tackles for 90 minutes, always late and letting the Mexicans attack and shoot at Becker every time they went into our half. AOC with a mediocre display, annonymous for the first 40 minutes, then had nice 5 minutes in the first half and somethnig similar in the second half, he needs consistency. It would have been much better to play Williams as a right back /that is his position/ and Millie in midfield, we all know how useful is James in central areas.

Robbo was not at his usual level. Shaqiri and Origi had a great chance today, but did not use it in the best possible way.

Gomez was decent /still has those stupid mistakes in his game - the yellow card was again a wrong choice of an important situation. If it was Lovren, he would have been criticized for the whole night here/, playing with a new partner against new type of opposition.

Salah was also good, but he did not get enough help from his teammates in offensive position. Actually the only offensive player from the starting 11 /bar Salah/ who had a good game was Keita. Naby is playing at a very good level, creating, scoring, tackling, dribbling. We will need him in the coming months, just stay fit.

Other postives from today:

- no new injuries

- we started and played for 65 minutes without VvD, Trent, Matip, Fabinho, Firmino, Wijnaldum, Mane. That is 7 first team leaders.

- winning in regular time is huge, no need to play at least extra 30 minutes in these conditions.

- happy to see players such as TAA, Virgil, Mane, Bobby getting some rest and not playing the full 90 minutes.

And finally reminding that Monterrey are not a good team. They are at the level of a leading team from Spanish Segunda divsion, something like Zaragoza or Malaga, not the best team in Spain's second division, but one of the good ones.
We had a poor game and let them have too many good situations. I don't understand how with less then 2 minutes left and 2-1 up, we gave them two very good chances and one of it was from a counter attack in the 93rd minute /it was 3 vs. 3/???

For Saturday I just want every player being put in his natural position. Play Ki Hoever in central defence, if Virgil is still ill. Play Neco as a full back, if Robbo or Trent needs a rest, play Milner in midfield and Lallana is not the new Pirlo or Xavi, he is a decent option as a number 8, but he is not and will never be number 6.
Bugger me Mate. I’d hate to see one of your posts had we lost. We actually won and with some “second choice” options in the starting line up. As to your remarks per Hendo, I’m glad he wasn’t trying to be the second coming of Zico. He has a lot more experience of playing football than you or me. Over the ninety minutes he did enough to get us through. The same as Joe Gomez, Milly and Robbo. The same as Adam Lallana, Naby and Shaq. The same as Mo, Ox and Big Div.
Once again Jurgen and his staff knew the personnel, formation and tactics to be the job done.
I for one am quite happy for the boss to carry on doing what he’s been doing and just enjoy the ride.

Edited to add Allison Becker to the above.

Dave-D

A win in regular time, I’ll take that over a win in extra time any day.

Was by no means a classic but another final on the horizon and hopefully have VVD back. Time now for some much needed rest for the players before the final

Alisson gets my MoTM but will mention Divock, did you see how wet his shirt was:eek:

RodM

I watched this delayed as I was at my German class being befuddled by future-perfect-past-present-with-dativ-tense-and-another-fucking-variation-of-"the". Seriously, if Klopp mastered that shite then Scouse must have been a doddle.

Anyway, I picked up a couple of cans of Weißbier from the petrol station on the way home and I'm rather glad I did because that was 2 hours of utter bollocks. Gave MotM to Salah, Trent and Bobby for ending the misery before extra time.

Well, we are in another final, I suppose, and have the chance to become the FIFA Contractual Obligation Champions on Saturday. I think I was a bit spoiled watching the kids play last night. We may as well give it a shot and give the cleaner an excuse to buy another tin of Brasso.

alaskared

Kloppite
I thought I'd be all witty and just come on here and say " Si Senor" and nothing else but then on Twitter it looks like Lucas Leiva, VVD and Fab all posted exactly that and nothing else.
Great minds think alike and all that....haha
On to the final, going to have to ramp it up except Allison and Bobby, they can just stay at same level and we'll be fine.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Liverpool really tested my ticker today and so did the chilean ref they were talking to him in Spanish throughout the game and he gave us the bare minimum some of the free kicks he gave were baffling all they had to do was go down and scream and they got it but our B team put up with all of that until we introduced the ringers game over. In the final we will have to use a bit more guile in their box by going down a the mere touch I know I am going to get shouted down about that. With big Virg coming back and even Gini and the 3 musketeers and hopefully a neutral ref we have a chance?
I knew there was something not right about the referee. A Latin American referee in charge of a game involving a Mexican team??? All sorts of things can go wrong there. As you said, Monterrey were constantly berating him in Spanish and feigning injury. Surely a suitably qualified referee could have been found from Asia or Africa.