• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Monterrey (WCC 18/12/19 17.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 80 76.2%
  • Milner [off 74’]

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Gomez

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Robertson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lallana

• Keita [GOAL 11’]

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Shaqiri [off 68’]

• Origi [off 85’]

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Salah

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Mane [on 68’]

• Alexander-Arnold [on 74’]

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Firmino [on 85’, GOAL 90+1’]

Votes: 15 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jaffod

Bugger me Mate. I’d hate to see one of your posts had we lost. We actually won and with some “second choice” options in the starting line up. As to your remarks per Hendo, I’m glad he wasn’t trying to be the second coming of Zico. He has a lot more experience of playing football than you or me. Over the ninety minutes he did enough to get us through. The same as Joe Gomez, Milly and Robbo. The same as Adam Lallana, Naby and Shaq. The same as Mo, Ox and Big Div.
Once again Jurgen and his staff knew the personnel, formation and tactics to be the job done.
I for one am quite happy for the boss to carry on doing what he’s been doing and just enjoy the ride.

Edited to add Allison Becker to the above.
Spot on. Said pre-match I wanted Hendo at CB but wanted him to do the bare minimum. He'll play again Saturday either in midfield or CB again so why anybody wants to see him charging around I do not know.
Shite game though. I actually nodded off a couple of times and tbh lost interest after half an hour. Hope VVD is ok for the final.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Alisson MoM and that says a lot about our display. Not signing a versatile defender during the summer is a problem for us in the most intense period of the year. Playing with two midfielders in defence is a real risk. And I don't see why people are praising Hendo. Shouting to the referee or the opposition players is not his main job. I know that he played in a new position for a first time, mistakes happen and I have no problem with that. But i have problem with the fact that for 90 minutes our captain made zero tackles and instead of playing the ball from defence, adding another option from defence /like a qarterback in American football/, every time he had a good option to pass the ball forward, he passed to Gomez, letting him have the responsibility.

Lallana as a defensive midfielder is an experiment that must stop. Adam with zero tackles for 90 minutes, always late and letting the Mexicans attack and shoot at Becker every time they went into our half. AOC with a mediocre display, annonymous for the first 40 minutes, then had nice 5 minutes in the first half and somethnig similar in the second half, he needs consistency. It would have been much better to play Williams as a right back /that is his position/ and Millie in midfield, we all know how useful is James in central areas.

Robbo was not at his usual level. Shaqiri and Origi had a great chance today, but did not use it in the best possible way.

Gomez was decent /still has those stupid mistakes in his game - the yellow card was again a wrong choice of an important situation. If it was Lovren, he would have been criticized for the whole night here/, playing with a new partner against new type of opposition.

Salah was also good, but he did not get enough help from his teammates in offensive position. Actually the only offensive player from the starting 11 /bar Salah/ who had a good game was Keita. Naby is playing at a very good level, creating, scoring, tackling, dribbling. We will need him in the coming months, just stay fit.

Other postives from today:

- no new injuries

- we started and played for 65 minutes without VvD, Trent, Matip, Fabinho, Firmino, Wijnaldum, Mane. That is 7 first team leaders.

- winning in regular time is huge, no need to play at least extra 30 minutes in these conditions.

- happy to see players such as TAA, Virgil, Mane, Bobby getting some rest and not playing the full 90 minutes.

And finally reminding that Monterrey are not a good team. They are at the level of a leading team from Spanish Segunda divsion, something like Zaragoza or Malaga, not the best team in Spain's second division, but one of the good ones.
We had a poor game and let them have too many good situations. I don't understand how with less then 2 minutes left and 2-1 up, we gave them two very good chances and one of it was from a counter attack in the 93rd minute /it was 3 vs. 3/???

For Saturday I just want every player being put in his natural position. Play Ki Hoever in central defence, if Virgil is still ill. Play Neco as a full back, if Robbo or Trent needs a rest, play Milner in midfield and Lallana is not the new Pirlo or Xavi, he is a decent option as a number 8, but he is not and will never be number 6.
Yeh ok, but apart from all that, we were ok tonight?? Ha ha!!
All joking aside, it wasn’t a perfect performance, but we we had a makeshift back four, which isn’t ideal going into a game of this magnitude. However, we came though it and we’re one win away from being the WORLD Champions!! Just think how that will upset the Blueshite and the Mancs. So. Keep the Faith, trust in Klopp

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I knew there was something not right about the referee. A Latin American referee in charge of a game involving a Mexican team??? All sorts of things can go wrong there. As you said, Monterrey were constantly berating him in Spanish and feigning injury. Surely a suitably qualified referee could have been found from Asia or Africa.
Oh, hell no. Look at the legacy of what European teams have done in these matches. Nothing the South American champions like better than getting some relatively inexperienced referee from outside CONMEBOL or UEFA, and utterly destroying the Europeans' ability to play their game. Year after year it plays out like that, and we are about to see it. Asian and African refs do not get anywhere near the level of cynicism that is everyday in South American footy. In this semi, we were fortunate to have a referee with a sound sense of what the Mexicans were trying to pull. We may not have liked it, but look where the cards went first when they finally came out. He was not taking any nonsense from them, and you could see they were trying it on.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Oh, hell no. Look at the legacy of what European teams have done in these matches. Nothing the South American champions like better than getting some relatively inexperienced referee from outside CONMEBOL or UEFA, and utterly destroying the Europeans' ability to play their game. Year after year it plays out like that, and we are about to see it. Asian and African refs do not get anywhere near the level of cynicism that is everyday in South American footy. In this semi, we were fortunate to have a referee with a sound sense of what the Mexicans were trying to pull. We may not have liked it, but look where the cards went first when they finally came out. He was not taking any nonsense from them, and you could see they were trying it on.
I agree he was quick to blow at the beginning but soon cottoned on and waved stuff away.

Lostmyfunk 3421

Standing on the verge of getting it on
Reminds me when Arsenal apparently used ex- special agents to poison the Spurs team on the last weekend of the season. Maybe someone.put something.on the kofte bbq or in the humus? Though I'm sure our team have that covered.

Plamen

Average performance but we got the win at the end.Flamingo game is going to be very tough.It is one of the biggest games in Flamingo history and I am not exaggerating.

alaskared

Kloppite
The win was great and all but..............., importantly, Bobby is scoring again!

That could be worth far more than the club world cup trophy going forward.......

DStudge

Up the reds!
Mentality giants! I like how the team doesn't loose head and plays calm as if they know they are going to win it.
Naby was spectacular, another great performance and his form is promising! Just wish the injuries are past him and he gets constant playing time to show his qualities on regular basis.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
It would make it harder for the European club to win but I feel like they have to hold this tournament in South America to give it a bit of prestige.

Playing in Qatar in front of a crowd doing Mexican waves is not the look at "World Cup" should have.
It's a shite venue really. The stadium is banal and random, people are soooo far off the pitch, and obviously, there is no atmosphere at all. Same will happen during the world cup unfortunately.

I'd be for a rotation: hold it once in Asia, in Africa, in Europe, in South America and North America. Of course, proper football countries should hold the tournament, not a pseudo-venue like Qatar.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
It's a shite venue really. The stadium is banal and random, people are soooo far off the pitch, and obviously, there is no atmosphere at all. Same will happen during the world cup unfortunately.

I'd be for a rotation: hold it once in Asia, in Africa, in Europe, in South America and North America. Of course, proper football countries should hold the tournament, not a pseudo-venue like Qatar.
Seeing that Champions League is the highest level of football there is - right now @ club level football, why not use the CL winner's home ground for Semi and final.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
There's nothing like a good bit of cutting-edge journalism.....and that was nothing like a good bit of cutting edge journalism.

I'm from Mexico - tell us about how good Monterrey were

I'm from Brazil - tell us about how tough you think Flamengo will be

I'm from BBC Africa - Why was Mané on the bench?

I'm from Egypt - Why isn't Salah captain?

I'm from Japan - Why have you signed Minamino?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Seeing that Champions League is the highest level of football there is - right now @ club level football, why not use the CL winner's home ground for Semi and final.
Yeah, you could imagine doing that, while rotating from one continent to the next. From the European CL winner to the Copa Libertadores winner, then to the African cup winner etc. That could make things far more interesting and would breathe some much needed passion into this tournament.

The current formula is dull and too obviously money-orientated.