• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Napoli (UCL 27/11/2019 8pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

• Lovren

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Fabinho

• Milner

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Henderson

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Mane

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Salah

• Firmino

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
If it doesn’t go to plan and we end up in the Europa league then we will just have to find the positives.
We can concentrate on the league and Elliot/Brewster/hoever etc will get more minutes.
Not that I want us to finish 3rd in the group...

jaffod

Disappointing. Bang goes our rest in Salzburg and the Fabinho injury is a big worry.

I thought the team selection was bizarre if I'm honest. Very negative. I thought JK had ditched the Gomez at RB experiment but obviously not.

Lovren was immense all night and Gini and Hendo never stopped running. Ox looked decent when he came on. Where was Keita?

Referee was genuinely one of the worst I've ever seen at Anfield, another one trying to show how big his balls are. Absolute cunt gave us nothing all night.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Very unpleasant game to watch, and felt the ref didn’t do nearly enough to cotton onto their antics. Mane got the living shit kicked out of him again, and couldn’t buy a free kick.

People will say we didn’t get going, and there is some truth in that, but it’s really hard to get going when the referee is letting the other team foul us with complete impunity.

South American Red

Nápoli put so much effort on it and that made It very difficult for us. Di Laurentis told them he would reverse the fine he gave them a couple weeks ago if they won today's match.

In my opinion the referee was not bad. He was consistent with his decisions. At the beginning there was an incidente where Liverpool player didn't jump, resulting in a bad fall of the Napoli player. Somehow similar to the VVD-Mertens incident.

Both teams were agressive with tackles and arguing with the referee. Tight game we could have won, if we had buried the few chances we got. Hendo at right back is a bad idea, as it is throwing so many crosses against a low defensive unit with fecking Koulibaly in it.

On a side note, Chucky Lozano offers nothing. I watch many of Napoli's games and the best I can say about him is he gets fouled several times per match. Don't understand só much hype around him.

Commando

Ad-free Member
I thought that the ref played a blinder.

Sorry, I meant to say like a blind man.

One positive from tonight is that if we'd have had the same score against the same opposition when we played them at Anfield last season we wouldn't have gone through. At least it's still in our own hands. Any drama fans out there must love watching our team this season. Each game is a little thriller in it's own right. Hoping that Fab's knock is not too bad. He played on for a little while to keep our numbers up until Gini was ready to replace him. Just pray that he didn't exacerbate it in any way. I've not seen any replays and haven't read any comments so can anybody clear up for me whether their player was offside for their goal? In real time he looked it to me.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I thought that the ref played a blinder.

Sorry, I meant to say like a blind man.

One positive from tonight is that if we'd have had the same score against the same opposition when we played them at Anfield last season we wouldn't have gone through. At least it's still in our own hands. Any drama fans out there must love watching our team this season. Each game is a little thriller in it's own right. Hoping that Fab's knock is not too bad. He played on for a little while to keep our numbers up until Gini was ready to replace him. Just pray that he didn't exacerbate it in any way. I've not seen any replays and haven't read any comments so can anybody clear up for me whether their player was offside for their goal? In real time he looked it to me.
It was incredibly tight, and I’ve seen some still that look on, and some that look off. I don’t mind that going in favour of Napoli.

I do mind Van Dijk being absolutely cleaned out in the build up. The Napoli lads eyes don’t flick towards the ball for a second. He is fixed on Van Dijk and knows exactly what he is doing. For VAR to look at that and conclude it’s a fair tackle is absolute bullshit.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
We were very weak. I really don't care about the stats, 50 shots to 1, 99% possession, totally irrelevant as out opponent had a game plan. It was 100% obvious before the game that Napoli didn't care about a win, they were always going to play for a draw, so it was 100% up to us to do something about it. We failed miserably as our possession didn't translate to enough quality chances, while our opposition's did. If the first goal would have been disallowed, then our goal would have been disallowed as well. VAR was consistent.

The midfield starting lineup selection, was bordering on fear. It was the return of the bland midfield, which became even more apparent when Fabinho went off injured. Ox should have started.

The midfield issues would have been completely overlooked if Mo had a 50% effective game, he was brutal, which highlighted the unimaginative midfield. To add to that, Bobby was also not passing well, and was not consistently effective. Mane was good, however he was really crowded out of the game.

Napoli have to be congratulated for the game plan, they executed it perfectly. Lots of small fouls to break up the play, but not enough to get yellow carded early on in the game, so purely tactical. Our front three did not get any time on the ball and where double teamed most of the time. This screamed for the introduction of an attacking central midfielder in order to counter this, however we persisted with the layout we started the game with. The introduction of Gini basically did nothing, while Ox did a little better.

The result really, really screws us, we really could have done with a dead rubber, it would have made a huge difference to have the option to rest players that will and do need it. I think Napoli are in the best position with a game at home to Genk, while we have to travel and not lose. We have not played well away from home in the group stages, and while it was better than last year, I have major concerns playing Salzburg at their ground. We really can't really play for a draw, its just not our style. I think its fortunate for us that they have to play for a win as nothing else will help them. This should in theory open the game up for us, which obviously suits us, nevertheless, a dangerous game for us.

I just don't know why we cant do things the easy way. Its stressful to wait for qualification, or to wait for the 85+ minutes to get all three points, or to realize that there is such a fixture congestion for us.

Oh well, lets do something against Brighton please, and FFS, get the fucking midfield to contribute just a tiny bit more to offence. Start with Ox or Keita, please, JUST DO IT (haha made myself smile).

Commando

Ad-free Member
Just to add to my earlier post.

I'm getting fecking sick of Italian fans coming here and causing agro. FFS when are UEFA going to do something about these lot? We(my nephews and me) have a pre match ritual. Park up, go to get our match day badges from Paul the badge fella. Walk along Annie Road to my Brother's stone in 96 Avenue then down to behind the Kop for our hot chocolate.

Tonight as I was getting my disabled Nephew out of the car behind the ARE it kicked off with the Napoli fans. I got my Nephew and Niece back into the car and I ran and got our badges. We skidaddled along the Annie Road stopped quickly at my Brother's stone and went straight in. We were going to get our usual hot chocolate but a lady who looks after our disabled supporters told my nephew to get inside as they were expecting trouble.
I saw my Nephew and Niece in and then went to my seat.

It's the twenty first century. With the technology we have we can do all sorts. A feckin cavemen are roaming around looking for a fight.

I feckin despair.

RedLar

Insipid. Laborious. Uninspired. Did anyone mention to them this was CL game?

Say what you like about the ref and the opposition, but I reckon we've been sputtering along, performance wise for the last 5-6 games at least. Not convincing me of late.

nikz200

This game was basically the worst game this season so far in terms of being unable to break Napoli and losing Fabinho. What did Gomez do today that made him important? People keep saying start Gomez over Lovren , but he has not played up to standard, simple as that.

Losing Fabinho is going to hurt us so much, i hope it isn't serious. Now we need to go Salzburg at a major home ground and try to get a result to get through, draw or win, and who knows the league ramifications....... Brighton and Everton being the next two games, our performances has not been excellent recently.

I don't want to be negative but we are coming to it now. We need to play well.especially against our next two opponents.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Insipid. Laborious. Uninspired. Did anyone mention to them this was CL game?

Say what you like about the ref and the opposition, but I reckon we've been sputtering along, performance wise for the last 5-6 games at least. Not convincing me of late.
Who needs convincing? We're top of the league. Top of our CL group and through to the QF of the League Cup. We're off to the World Club Cup Finals as well. Yes, we're spluttering along.

Oh, the pain.

RedLar

Unfair to expect Gomez to do an attacking wing backs job. I thought Trents crossing particularly shyte anyway, when he did come on. All nabbed by the keeper.

Difficult to pinpoint a MOTM performance from that load a Drivel.

Thought Allison particularly suspect on their goal. Keeper should have been favourite. Far too close to his near post. Poor positioning for me.

Commando

Ad-free Member
This game was basically the worst game this season so far in terms of being unable to break Napoli and losing Fabinho. What did Gomez do today that made him important? People keep saying start Gomez over Lovren , but he has not played up to standard, simple as that.

Losing Fabinho is going to hurt us so much, i hope it isn't serious. Now we need to go Salzburg at a major home ground and try to get a result to get through, draw or win, and who knows the league ramifications....... Brighton and Everton being the next two games, our performances has not been excellent recently.

I don't want to be negative but we are coming to it now. We need to play well.especially against our next two opponents.

Just for @Red_Jedi. I'm sure that Jurgen and his staff will know the perfect personnel, formation and tactics to get us through at the top of our group.

BTW, it really hurts me when posters criticise the team selection. Especially after I've taken the time out of my busy schedule to phone Jurgen with my thoughts.

RedYank

Just to add to my earlier post.

I'm getting fecking sick of Italian fans coming here and causing agro. FFS when are UEFA going to do something about these lot? We(my nephews and me) have a pre match ritual. Park up, go to get our match day badges from Paul the badge fella. Walk along Annie Road to my Brother's stone in 96 Avenue then down to behind the Kop for our hot chocolate.

Tonight as I was getting my disabled Nephew out of the car behind the ARE it kicked off with the Napoli fans. I got my Nephew and Niece back into the car and I ran and got our badges. We skidaddled along the Annie Road stopped quickly at my Brother's stone and went straight in. We were going to get our usual hot chocolate but a lady who looks after our disabled supporters told my nephew to get inside as they were expecting trouble.
I saw my Nephew and Niece in and then went to my seat.

It's the twenty first century. With the technology we have we can do all sorts. A feckin cavemen are roaming around looking for a fight.

I feckin despair.
What the literal fuck? Glad you all are safe.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
Totally don't understand why they let the Italian thugs away with it off and on the pitch. The combination of sly and cynical fouls with histronics about any possible foul (see the reaction to robbo's little push vs the non appealing when they left it in) and I can't say I would've upset if we don't ever have to play them again. And Kudos to Robbo for giving a little back; a title winning team needs a little of that aggression and it's an important part of his game in our current XI. Series A and southern Italy really is sadly a hopeless backward mafia corrupted cesspit these days.

RedLar

Who needs convincing? We're top of the league. Top of our CL group and through to the QF of the League Cup. We're off to the World Club Cup Finals as well. Yes, we're spluttering along.

Oh, the pain.
Season over then, is it? We can come back to this conversation. IMHO, We haven't been overly convincing in games despite results. Finding ways to win. There's a difference. Wouldn't want to see it all unravel.

RedLar

Anyone see the VAR decision which reversed a pen and red card by the ref yesterday in Madrid?

Made the challenge on VVD tonight (before their goal) look like GBH. Lad made no intent to play the ball.

Doesn't forgive the overall dross otherwise mind.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
It was incredibly tight, and I’ve seen some still that look on, and some that look off. I don’t mind that going in favour of Napoli.

I do mind Van Dijk being absolutely cleaned out in the build up. The Napoli lads eyes don’t flick towards the ball for a second. He is fixed on Van Dijk and knows exactly what he is doing. For VAR to look at that and conclude it’s a fair tackle is absolute bullshit.
Isn't this down to the old 'clear and obvious' interpretation? If the on-field ref saw it and decided it was fair, what is VAR to do that is within the rules? On the other hand, we were favoured a ruled out goal on the weekend as the VAR must have decided it was a clear and obvious mistake/miss by the ref. Perhaps the ref even admitted to missing it? But thems the rules imo. Every team wins and loses some. Imo the only way to take advantage is to exaggerate contact. See my boy Degsy on the w/e.

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
Gotta be honest. I never thought I'd see Lovren voted MOTM here with nearly 80% of votes. Would have thought that would take a hat trick and at least two goal line clearances. Wow. Mr. Surplus to Requirements has found new life, and it ain't even Christmas yet.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Plurality of posts in pre match was in Klopp we trust for team selection
Lots of comments post match scratching heads about team selection

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

i didnt think it was a foul.

where in the law book does it state you have to look at the ball?

i could be looking at the seagulls in a tackle, it doesn't make it a foul.

we need to hold ourselves (LFC) accountable, for big virgil to stay down on the deck after a slight collision is a lesson learnt in my mind, play to the whistle, just becuase you are VVD and this is Anfield doesnt mean if someone makes contact with you its a foul. its not a reason to bemoan the inaccuracies of VAR.

ill happily look again tonight as befre i got on the forums i was thinking it was a weak as pish effort from VVD, but with so many claiming a foul, ill happily look again to see if i was imagining things.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Well. It's a wake up call for us. We can't always have a slow start, then expect to rally and make a come back. Sometimes we need to start the game strong and nick a goal or 2. Else all the opponents will attack us heavily in first 20 and shut the shop for the remaining time.
Now we need to react to the pressure/situation/draw in a better way rather than going into the shell.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Tonight's result was all my fault. 100% on me. I wore my Liverpool socks Monday instead of Sunday after the Palace win. In addition, I had a formal holiday work dinner tonight and thus unable to wear my very specific LFC hooded sweatshirt and black pants that I wear every match day and has been 100% win rate.

All kidding aside, Jürgen has a few things he shows way too much respect for. Carlo Ancelotti is one of them, he absolutely adores the man. JK goes ultra conservative instead of going for the kill. He completely let Napoli off the hook tonight. We see the same thing when we visit Old Trafford. Instead of going for the throat of a weakened and inferior opponent, we do this oddly conservative dance. I posted in the match thread, for me it felt a very lifeless match. Napoli got that 1-0 lead and put a sleeper hold on proceedings. Not a revelatory statement, but when our FB's are stifled or struggling, the MF is going to have to be a little more creative. I also didn't at all understand our level of intensity. This was a match that could have sent us through to the final 16 of CL football, allowing us to rest players in two weeks, but instead had the emotion of a pre-season training exercise and now forces us to get a result on the final group matchday. None of this is a complaint, more just a matter-of-fact observation.

Hope Fab is able to get rested and healed up.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Also want to again shout our main man Degsy. He's doing his thing and giving this club top effort. JK wasn't filling him up with empty rhetoric when he told him he wouldn't be leaving and that he would be needed here. I could not be more happy for him.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
i didnt think it was a foul.

where in the law book does it state you have to look at the ball?

i could be looking at the seagulls in a tackle, it doesn't make it a foul.

we need to hold ourselves (LFC) accountable, for big virgil to stay down on the deck after a slight collision is a lesson learnt in my mind, play to the whistle, just becuase you are VVD and this is Anfield doesnt mean if someone makes contact with you its a foul. its not a reason to bemoan the inaccuracies of VAR.

ill happily look again tonight as befre i got on the forums i was thinking it was a weak as pish effort from VVD, but with so many claiming a foul, ill happily look again to see if i was imagining things.
It was a foul. Mertens(?) made no attempt to play the ball, and therefore it was a foul. Otherwise, I don't think you are wrong. In the match thread at the time, I noted that no one covered for VVD.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Disappointing result of course. But Klopp ain't immortal and he won't get every decision and tactics right. Whats key about Klopp is he gets most right and tends to learn over time the wrong ones. We are still in a very good position. But sorry Brighton, we gonna have to take 3 points off you to sooth our pain

macca1970

Well, another typical game against Napoli, where the stars align for the Italians, and they get the lucky stardust sprinkled all over them. Added to that, our lack lustre first half, and this is what you get. With TAA rested, I thought Klopp would start with a more adventurous midfield, and try one of Ox, Lallana or even Shaqiri from the start, to break down the low block team.

Salah pen incident – again, Kane would’ve gone down at the first pull back, and got the decision. The rules allow for impediment to be given as a pen, but this highly depends on the ref. Also, I wished for Mo to be rested a few games to fully recover from the ankle problem, so that he is fit and raring to go for the rest of the season. Would’ve liked Origi to be given a run a three of four games during this period.

Well, the bright side is that it’s in our hands. But we’ll have to play a strong team, and treat it like a two legged game, where we are 4-3 up on aggregate, but the opposition have 3 away goals. If we managed to concede only a goal at home, would’ve been much easier. Never mind, we are still huge favourites to go through if we play to our strengths.

We still limited Napoli to few chances, and most days you would back Allison to save that. But is was placed perfectly across Becker who tried to cover the near post. One of those games where the opposition looks to stifle the life out of the game, garner favour from the ref, and be clinical in their one true chance. Shit happens like this from time to time. Hopefully Fab injury is not serious.

Anyway. I loved Lovren’s goal. Real old school feel to it. Also we can’t expect to be perfect in every game. Need at times to grind things out, which we’ve been doing really well. We go again.