• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Napoli (UCL 27/11/2019 8pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

• Lovren

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Fabinho

• Milner

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Henderson

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Mane

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Salah

• Firmino

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lfc.8

Frustrating not to win this game. It was far from a good performance but there was also a penalty which wasn't awarded. Win the game and qualification secured, top of the group and the ability to rest a few players in the final game. Need to beat RB Salzburg now.

Flobs

FADA
I have read a few posts where posters are eluding to our 'worst' performance in some time. I beg to disagree our 1st half against Crystal Palace was atrocious (yet we won that match) long ball after long ball over and over again. At least in this match we tried to play football, Salah wasn't good and let us down a lot. Gomez was too far forward all the time, Robbo was too far back, Mané looked like he was trying too hard.
Their goal was a big disappointment to me even if VVD had been fouled he had headed the ball reasonably long and high yet we didn't have anyone when Napoli took possesion of it. Robbo unfortuneate to play their striker on side but it really was after the damage had been done.
I think we got back on track showed great heart and some good football. Ok our crossing let us down a bit (as did our corners and free kicks without TAA on the pitch). Salah was poor but that happens occasionally even so we looked more likely to score than we did against Crystal Palace.
Anyway a draw isn't the end so let's keep going.

lfc.8

Please clarify...after listening to last nights commentators....if we draw in Saltzburg..cause they're an iffy team...are we thru'...does it also rely on other results...cheers.
Qualification is secured with a draw. Though we'll likely need to win to top the group. Winning the group will likely result in an easier draw.

Wilkored08

Qualification is secured with a draw. Though we'll likely need to win to top the group. Winning the group will likely result in an easier draw.
Cheers.... Looking at Saltzburgs last few results...could be another nail biting, couch shouting, game....pls no!

Incognito

The Normal One
Please clarify...after listening to last nights commentators....if we draw in Saltzburg..cause they're an iffy team...are we thru'...does it also rely on other results...cheers.
A draw is sufficient. Win puts us on top of the group. Loss puts us on equal points with Salzburg and tie breaker would be in order of points, GD, goals scored and away goals in the H2H games we played.

So we cannot afford to lose by a 2 goal margin. And if we lose by a 1 goal margin, we need to score at least 4 away goals if we have to be through. A 1-0, 2-1, 3-2, 4-3 loss throws us out. This is if Napoli wins or draws. If Napoli loses we are through no matter what.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
A draw is sufficient. Win puts us on top of the group. Loss puts us on equal points with Salzburg and tie breaker would be in order of points, GD, goals scored and away goals in the H2H games we played.

So we cannot afford to lose by a 2 goal margin. And if we lose by a 1 goal margin, we need to score at least 4 away goals if we have to be through. A 1-0, 2-1, 3-2, 4-3 loss throws us out. This is if Napoli wins or draws. If Napoli loses we are through no matter what.
Have you not seen how utter gash Genk are? It would be a bloody miracle for Genk to get anything from that game

Wilkored08

Cheers... But let's hope we win.

jaffod

I know it's been done to death but there were that many half and half scarves in the lower KD last night (block KM) I thought I was sitting among the away fans. Absolute fucking joke.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Either we fix the defence and we start rotating more players into the first XI with good effect, or I fear that this is going to be just the beginning of a very difficult period.
This should be the beginning of an easy period. Plenty of games but the opponents aren't tough, certainly not in the league and it should be the ideal time to start picking up some form. Napoli are a tough team for us. Played them 4 times in the last 2 seasons, won once and we had a miracle Alisson save to thank for that. I didn't have a good feeling about this game going into it. Sometimes a team is just Kryptonite to your way of playing and you always struggle against them no matter what. Napoli are our Kryptonite.

We just need to stop giving soft goals away. 3 clean sheets all season and one of them was MK Dons. The longest run without a clean sheet for 21 years. It's ridiculous for a team of this quality. There was a long Echo article the other day about how we shouldn't be concerned about this. Of course we should be concerned. It saps our confidence and boosts the confidence of the opposition to know we are odds on to let in a goal and, often, it's the first one in the game. Brighton will be thinking they'll nick one on Saturday. Salzburg will be thinking they'll nick 2 or 3.

Performance levels need to go up now. We shouldn't be winning the next few games by having to dig deep. We should be beating the likes of Brighton, Everton, Bournemouth in a controlled and comprehensive way, because we are miles better than them. They shouldn't be getting a sniff.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
The nightmare scenario is, we don’t get out of the group stage and drop into that fuckin Europa League! That will really fuck up the rest of the season.
I just hope Fabinho is ok, he’s one player we can’t afford to lose.

South American Red

Have you not seen how utter gash Genk are? It would be a bloody miracle for Genk to get anything from that game
Not exactly.

Nápoli play like crap very often too. They are my second team and I don't even bother to watch them anymore.

They raised their level today for several reasons (it's Anfield, Ancelotti vs Klopp, etc), they can and they do get beaten by worse teams than Genk xd

LaurazRed

This period is going to be tough, like everyone else I'm worried about injuries. Any news on Fabinho yet?

Magnus

I don't want to say too much about yesterdays game. I am still a bit irritated. I am not happy with this result.
Our previous game against Napoli means that we now can go out against Salzburg and we should not have been in that position. We are still likely to go through, big favorites I guess, but we are now in a precarious position and this is a very bad time to find bad form. I had perhaps naively, thought that we would perform on a much higher level than versus Palace, but now I worry about our form trend.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Thats why last night is bad result. We needed to win so that the kids and ressies could play final CL game. Now its a must win, away, and a game we didnt need to play in a busy schedule.
We could be heading to Qatar out of the cup that got us in the tournament.
Important to note that it is not a must win. A win has us top of the group, a draw has us through. Not ideal, but tactically a very different prospect. Salzburg will have to attack...if we could score a goal on the damned counter sometime, that tactical balance might be an advantage.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I know it's been done to death but there were that many half and half scarves in the lower KD last night (block KM) I thought I was sitting among the away fans. Absolute fucking joke.
Not crazy about half-and-halfs in general, but in particular I would not want a Napoli one. Odious club, largely because of its supporters, but the owner is toxic as well. Ancelotti is the best thing about the place.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
This should be the beginning of an easy period. Plenty of games but the opponents aren't tough, certainly not in the league and it should be the ideal time to start picking up some form. Napoli are a tough team for us. Played them 4 times in the last 2 seasons, won once and we had a miracle Alisson save to thank for that. I didn't have a good feeling about this game going into it. Sometimes a team is just Kryptonite to your way of playing and you always struggle against them no matter what. Napoli are our Kryptonite.

We just need to stop giving soft goals away. 3 clean sheets all season and one of them was MK Dons. The longest run without a clean sheet for 21 years. It's ridiculous for a team of this quality. There was a long Echo article the other day about how we shouldn't be concerned about this. Of course we should be concerned. It saps our confidence and boosts the confidence of the opposition to know we are odds on to let in a goal and, often, it's the first one in the game. Brighton will be thinking they'll nick one on Saturday. Salzburg will be thinking they'll nick 2 or 3.

Performance levels need to go up now. We shouldn't be winning the next few games by having to dig deep. We should be beating the likes of Brighton, Everton, Bournemouth in a controlled and comprehensive way, because we are miles better than them. They shouldn't be getting a sniff.
Didn't see the article, but that is just stupid. Last season was a perfect illustration. There were loads of games where it wasn't working, looked like we were playing in treacle, and then someone (usually Mane) pops up with a goal and we have a 1-0. Many games were that, and then it opened up and the final scoreline makes us forget the long period where it was in the balance.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
On paper yes. But the number of games is ridiculous and the team looks short on ideas and freshness. Last night in particular was wholly displeasing in terms of effort and intensity particularly in the first half and that has nothing to do with Napoli's tactical plan. For such a crucial match, it was a rather disappointing showing across the board. As far as Napoli are concerned, I don't think that they are all that. They have an excellent manager and he manages to limit us to a degree, but at the same time we don't do well the things that are in our control. That one win against them was the one time we played at a high tempo and we should have scored a few more goals. Our best period last night was when we started playing with a bit more urgency and started driving them back instead of settling for crosses. Unfortunately it lasted only until Lovren scored.

Last edited:

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
On paper yer. But the number of games is ridiculous and the team looks short on ideas and freshness. Last night in particular was wholly displeasing in terms of effort and intensity particularly in the first half and that has nothing to do with Napoli's tactical plan. For such a crucial match, it was a rather disappointing showing across the board. As far as Napoli are concerned, I don't think that they are all that. They have an excellent manager and he manages to limit us to a degree, but at the same time we don't do well the things that are in our control. That one win against them was the one time we played at a high tempo and we should have scored a few more goals. Our best period last night was when we started playing with a bit more urgency and started driving them back instead of settling for crosses. Unfortunately it lasted only until Lovren scored.
Napoli aren't 'all that' but they've got a good game plan against us. You have to give them credit. It's not all about us. I don't know that it's reasonable to expect us to play at a high tempo and with high intensity all the time when we've got so many games coming up. I am sure that we are starting games slowly deliberately, trying to control them (and failing last night) and then push on in the second half. Last night was similar to Palace in that respect. It was a pity we couldn't keep the momentum up after we scored. Again there Napoli were clever as there were a few interruptions around that point and we couldn't get going again.

Palace away, Napoli at home are both tough games. We were great against City pre-international break so I am not freaking out about it just yet. If we are still like this against Brighton and Everton then I'll worry as this is usually the time of the season when we really get going. If we stopped conceding goals it would help as we have enough quality to score regardless of how badly we're playing.

Last edited:

donks

TIA First Team
Its only one bad result but let's be honest a result like this has been coming for a while now, we have got away with a few very average performances with late goals but last night wasn't to be one of them.

Negatives:

- Injury to Fabinho
- Team Selection
- Another game without a clean sheet
- Holes in the squad really shown up tonight with Gomez having to play right full and Salah and Firmino labouring through 90 minutes anonymously
- Henderson and Milner in the same midfield, it never works and it's a serious blind spot for Klopp
- Lack of creativity from midfield rears its ugly head
- Missed opportunity to rest key players in a hectic part of the season

Positives:

- Still top of the group with our fate in our own hands
- Possible wake up call that was needed
- Decent performance from Lovren but I still feel he has to track Mertens run from deep for the goal and not stand up looking for offside. Maybe Lovren isn't a positive at all because he still has these brain farts.

I don't want to over react to one poor result and performance but I'm really worried about the lack of form of Salah and Firmino and how irreplaceable our full backs are now. We should have addressed theses issues in the Summer and I really hope they don't come back to haunt us.

Limiescouse

Important to note that it is not a must win. A win has us top of the group, a draw has us through. Not ideal, but tactically a very different prospect. Salzburg will have to attack...if we could score a goal on the damned counter sometime, that tactical balance might be an advantage.
This is all true when viewing it in isolation. However, in the context of a really dense fixture list over the next 6 weeks or so, failing to beat Napoli has lost us an opportunity to turn one of those games into a meaningless exhibition and allowed an opportunity to rest key players.

Limiescouse

I think the increased presence of the half and half scarves is a reflection how fan tourism is also now of a thing. If you have tickets for your 1 game in the next 5 years you want a souvenir that helps you remember that specific game.

Incognito

The Normal One
I am actually a bit confused by the lack of clean sheets. What has changed so much between last year and now? And it's not just Lovren or Matip we are conceding notwithstanding who is playing. I thought Adrian playing in the initial few games might be a reason for some lack of chemistry in the back 5, but Alisson coming hasn't changed us conceding every game.

It's not like the attack has suddenly become more lethal or better than last season. Is it just individual errors off tiredness or the system responsible for us not keeping clean sheets? It's all good as long as the points are added on the board, but is definitely an area to improve upon.

Last season we were so assured after being 1-0 up that we could see the game off, this season it's the assurance that we will pull one back and lead towards the end. I prefer us being in the former position than latter tbh.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Just to put things in perspective a bit: Last year, we lost the fourth matchday of the CL at Belgrade 2-0, and the fifth at Paris 2-1. I remember that the team wasn't in form at all during that time. Our lads had to dig deep in order to beat Napoli in the last game. After that, results started to pick up.

The same seems to happen again. Hopefully, we'll see improvement against teams which are far more beatable than what he have had to deal with until now. Fingers crossed!

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Well, I can complain about VAR. Personally confused about how that goal stood today, given the clear foul by Mertens on Van Dijk, given that VAR ruled out a clear foul/red card/penalty against Real yesterday in basically the exact same situation. But then I remember that United game a few weeks back when Origi was booted off the ball and United went up the other end to score, and it stood.

But that's all okay, because we're apparently LiVARpool, and the FA, media, UEFA, FIFA, and the Illuminati are all involved in a mass conspiracy to ensure we win the league, Champions League, FA Cup, Twenty-20, the general election, and the Tour De France.
The LiVARpool narrative is a convenient way of dismissing the actual truth concerning decisions and biases.
Its the best method of dealing with what is plain to see, try to persuade people that the opposite is true.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
We are but the two players ive mentioned Shaq and Gomez have barely played.
I just wonder why Shaq didnt come on last night? Really odd. Gomez - his performances when he has played shows why he hasnt been picked.
We havent blown a team away this season in League so leaking goals is a slight concern.
I rate Joe but he hasn't played to his potential this year and full back isn't his forte attacking wise, also Shaq has just come back from injury and there is a lot of competition for places in the front 3 and the midfield.

I do think we haven't played particularly well these last few games offensively.