POST MATCH: Liverpool v Newcastle (EPL 26/12/2018 3pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Lovren [GOAL 11’]

Votes: 34 21.8%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Robertson [off 80’]

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Henderson

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • Wijnaldum [off 61’]

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Shaqiri [GOAL 79’]

Votes: 19 12.2%
  • Salah [GOAL 47’]

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • Firmino [off 68’]

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Mane [GOAL 31’]

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Fabinho [on 61’, GOAL 84’]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Sturridge [on 68’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clyne [on 80’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
Great performance today, but I’m not going to get too excited looking at the table until after the next two against Arsenal and City.

I am confident, however, that we’ll continue to perform at a high, high level. Just may the results follow the performance.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
We seemed to be cruising in 2nd gear most of the match, not because we couldnt do more, but because we didnt need to do more. Nerwcastle were chasing shadows most of the time. We are utterly dominant, and play like a top team and true title contents.

A lot of stand out performances today, Bobby was very good Shaq too, hendo had a good day, Van the man was dominant, the full backs lively !

And 7 points up on manc !! and we will need every single one of them !!! But I never expected to be in this position at thze start oif the season... Klopp won the league with Mainz (2nd div) and Dortmund both in his third season... just saying like :-)

jaschwilli

now today is a big test, whether any center back can get a better player rating than Van Dijk. If its not Lovren today, then nobody ever will.

Henderson was the heart and spirit today and both fullbacks have been outstanding - thats what Klopp would say. Shaq the starter today as good as Shaq the sub for the first time.

And Leicester didn't surprise me, the press conference, the body language of Pep after Palace told the story

koptician

We'll go again!
We are now odds-on favourites for the league.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/winner

Caveat: we were 1-5 favourites with three games to play in 2014.
As has been said before, we've not won anything yet. Let's learn lessons from our previous inability to close the deal and keep going in a controlled fashion. The quiet determination and confidence Klopp has instilled in the team is remarkable. And this is the least individual star dependent Liverpool team that I can remember!

C

Caradoc

We seemed to be cruising in 2nd gear most of the match, not because we couldnt do more, but because we didnt need to do more. Nerwcastle were chasing shadows most of the time. We are utterly dominant, and play like a top team and true title contents.

A lot of stand out performances today, Bobby was very good Shaq too, hendo had a good day, Van the man was dominant, the full backs lively !

And 7 points up on manc !! and we will need every single one of them !!! But I never expected to be in this position at thze start oif the season... Klopp won the league with Mainz (2nd div) and Dortmund both in his third season... just saying like :-)

Spelling and grammar both need attention but not a bad effort! B+

:tongue: lol

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
So many concentrate on Man City at the start of the season, nobody gives Spurs who has yet to draw a chance. Now they are the one clipping our heels instead of City, and we should never lose sight on that fucking team. I know Klopp won't, but I can see our fans already celebrating City lost. Relax fellas, they won't lose too many games and I am hoping to see Spurs dropping points sooner rather than later.

As for our match. First half was very wasteful, a lot of chances carved open and Mane especially squandered a few of them. We went ahead with a wonder strike by the best defender in the world (:J), Lovren can't hit it any sweeter. From there you know we are just going to go and rip them apart. Then you remember - Rafa Benitez is their manager. So I expect another goal and shut up shop. At least that's what I thought.

Second half started with a little dirty fall from Salah. A slight pull and trip, left the referee no chance but to give us a penalty which saw Salah tucked it in with power and pace low driving strike. Through the keeper left bottom corner, and we are now 2 goals up. You know if Rafa don't bring in more defenders they are going to get thrash. The one player that kept them alive and respectable till the 70th minute was Diame. He was all over the place, stuck his foot in and win blocks and tackles. Now, no matter how fit you are, there is no way you can keep going playing against us, no battery in the world could last that long.

As soon as Diame losing his grip through fatigue, we started to control and pin them in their own final 3rd. It's only a matter of time before we carve them out. Sturridge pass the ball to Henderson who moved it quickly to the flanks for Alexander-Arnold to cross it in, and Shaqiri - my man of the match, put it away. 3 up and deal is sealed.

Firmino is still not up to his oldself yet. Mane's consistency need to improve and our defenders should be more aware of crosses. Arsenal will give us a much stiffer test. We need to keep our focus, I am getting greedy and I want us to win the rest of the 19! Come on!

Lastly - @nobluff should be the only Pre-Match thread starter. I urge mods to delete anyone else who tries to do it. @Lowton_Red should keep his fine print going.... and @Maria continue to miss the match, while I will stay away until half time and full time (and stay sober)!
City might not drop point's. But guess what, their invisibility cloak is off. Teams will have a go at them. Something which pep got away with last year.
That for me is a big big change. A few more dropped point's and city could be in danger of being out of contention.
I agree with you, spurs are dangerous. Literally a pest, keep winning games silently.
Can't see them dropping point's against weaker teams, which mean it would be a must win against our rivals as the season progresses.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
City might not drop point's. But guess what, their invisibility cloak is off. Teams will have a go at them. Something which pep got away with last year.
That for me is a big big change. A few more dropped point's and city could be in danger of being out of contention.
I agree with you, spurs are dangerous. Literally a pest, keep winning games silently.
Can't see them dropping point's against weaker teams, which mean it would be a must win against our rivals as the season progresses.
City are not the only threat and we don't win title by beating them alone. So I don't care if their invincibility cloak or dagger is off, couldn't give a fuck. I am always concerned about our next match, our next target and who is closest to us.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
City are not the only threat and we don't win title by beating them alone. So I don't care if their invincibility cloak or dagger is off, couldn't give a fuck. I am always concerned about our next match, our next target and who is closest to us.
Of course. Just saying that city are the most dangerous of the two. It's good to see teams not fearing and having a go at them.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Just on my way back from anfield. What a game! I had a great seat.

Managed to get a thumbs up from Rafa when I asked him for a sweet!

Kind of strange atmosphere in that it didn’t get rocking until Leicester took the lead vs city.

Seemed like a hungover atmosphere, but still good!

Really not sure who give motm- I thought hendo was really involved, but vvd did some incredible defending - so probably him.

So great fab scored, and Shaq again. And got a penalty at anfield too. Oh, and another clean sheet.

Fellow reds, it’s happening. Fasten your seatbelts.

C

Caradoc

Watching Rafa’s post-match interview I hate to see him in this situation. He deserves far, far better. He looks shattered and he’s being betrayed and undermined by the Owner and his Board.

Today I think he got it wrong not playing Rondon but with Watford coming up at their place what’s the man supposed to do?

RodM

I've just realised that we are now exactly half way through the league season. So far, so good.

I hope it's not too early to make comparisons but this has a feeling of the 78/79 season (40 years ago) when we were up against a ridiculously good Nottingham Forest side who looked like they would never lose a game again at the start of the season.

In that year we were really strong defensively and just kept notching the points up. Similarly, we also seemed to get progressively better that season.

It is only half way at the moment but, to paraphrase Churchill, we just need to keep buggering on.

SBYM

Who's the fella owns this shithole?
Terrific match. Can't complain about anything of substance. Yes, Firminho not up to his best, nor was Trent and Shaqiri in the first half (in the second half they were amazing!), but the rest of the team was damn solid. The second half? We went into top gear and crushed them. Should have been 5-6. The second half was actually that strong ! All in all, a fantastic match and one that was extremely easy on the eye ! :-) IMO, Salah MotM, he was simply amazing.

Continue to have a merry Christmas, all of you!
To be frank dude, I'm not sure we can complain about anything insubstantial either.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Watching Rafa’s post-match interview I hate to see him in this situation. He deserves far, far better. He looks shattered and he’s being betrayed and undermined by the Owner and his Board.

Today I think he got it wrong not playing Rondon but with Watford coming up at their place what’s the man supposed to do?
He deserves a better club. Newcastle are a mess. It's a miracle they finished 10th last year.
Newcastle team are very very poor.
His team selection I can understand, there next 6 games are a nightmare and he would want their key players fit for them.
He probably knew getting anything from this game was improbable.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
The party in the stands when the Leciester goal filtered through was brilliant.

Love Rafa but I do hope they get relegated and we see the end of them at this level for a while, their fans are the most incredible gobshites going. Back to the Championship for you lot.

SBYM

Who's the fella owns this shithole?
I am sorry if you understood my post as a complaint. It was hardly meant as it. I thought we were amazing, and particularly in the second half.
Not at all...just me and my annoying sense of humour.

The best thing for a bloke telling you his glass is half empty is to point out just how valuable unicorn piss is.