POST MATCH: Liverpool v Newcastle (EPL 26/12/2018 3pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Lovren [GOAL 11’]

Votes: 34 21.8%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Robertson [off 80’]

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Henderson

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • Wijnaldum [off 61’]

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Shaqiri [GOAL 79’]

Votes: 19 12.2%
  • Salah [GOAL 47’]

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • Firmino [off 68’]

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Mane [GOAL 31’]

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Fabinho [on 61’, GOAL 84’]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Sturridge [on 68’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clyne [on 80’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kwala

TIA Regular
the real test in the next 2 matches
hope we can get full 6 points from them
but yeah enjoy the moment
we're on the top because of our performance
Anything more than Zero points and we will still be top! That is a great place to be with very little pressure. Imagine the pressure on City if they go into the Jan 3rd still 7 or more points behind!

BUT………………….

Forget all that, lets just focus on Arsenal for now and see where things stand after that!

We have only conceded 7! AND, 2 of those were our own fault! That is a mad Stat! Allisson and VVD have taken our defence to a place I can barely remember ( late 70's early 80's!)! And our attack seems to be finding that cohesion we were lacking early on! If they click fully like last season we are going to have a hell of a ride until May!

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Not to much to add that already hasn't been said but I'm not even willing to consider winning the title until April . not looking any futher than the arsenal game.
Results today take the pressure of us big time. City have to go for the win , a defeat will all but basically kill their title chances and even if we lose we still will have at least a 3pt lead (4 to city)

RedinAsia

For me, this was the proverbial 'game of 2 halves'. Thanks to Lovren for taking us into HT with a lead we barely deserved. Then Salah goes down (he doesn't usually) after a firm arm pull by Dummet. A clear cut penalty. I thought Bobby should have been subbed earlier, because his touch, passing and reading of the game were dreadful, which showed in the pained expression on his face. Overall the result was never in doubt. I predicted a 3 - 1 win, but I'm more than happy to be wrong. Sorry for Rafa who deserves to manage a much better run club.

Clive

7 points ahead of City and the GD even. Oh and Spurs have caught up with City so they are 6 points behind us. At this point the league really is ours to lose.
As Stevie said after we beat City in 2014, “nothings our’s yet”.
Edit - interview here, it pays to keep some perspective, however well we are currently placed:

Last edited:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Rafa minding his word in the interview.... I can guarantee you if it was against United on that penalty, he would have gone on his usual rant. With us, he is somewhat reserved with his comment...

And yes, forever will be fantastic.

OK. Repeat the same process and we will be at 102 points in May!
Which means beat United and Spurs, draw against Chelsea, City and Arsenal? Nah, I am not having it. Beat all them fuckers!

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
The change in style of play is reaping results now. The heavy metal all out pressing attack is gone but what we have now is focused, balanced with making good use of possession and winning games. Like one commentator said, he has never seen such a Liverpool side with so much control in the game.

SBYM

Who's the fella owns this shithole?

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league

BigJon

Look I have been incredibly patient, it's not like I am asking for much, but it has been almost 12 hours since the demolition of a very poor Newcastle side. So could somebody please get on and start the pre-match Arsenal thread.
" Why don't you do it yourself, you lazy old git?" I hear you cry. Well due to the fact that I date back to a time when the internet was made of wood, I just don't know how to do it, and being a cantankerous old bugger I really can't be arsed to work it out. So if we could all please pull our fingers out - after all you bloody millennials have had two days off in a row - in my day that would have been two years annual leave combined. Unpaid of course.

C

Caradoc

SBYM

Who's the fella owns this shithole?
Look I have been incredibly patient, it's not like I am asking for much, but it has been almost 12 hours since the demolition of a very poor Newcastle side. So could somebody please get on and start the pre-match Arsenal thread.
" Why don't you do it yourself, you lazy old git?" I hear you cry. Well due to the fact that I date back to a time when the internet was made of wood, I just don't know how to do it, and being a cantankerous old bugger I really can't be arsed to work it out. So if we could all please pull our fingers out - after all you bloody millennials have had two days off in a row - in my day that would have been two years annual leave combined. Unpaid of course.
Calling @nobluff

You have been summoned.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Except one moment where Allison has to make 2 back to back saves, we were in total control of the match. An excellent performance by an excellent team. Long may this continue. With this being done and dusted, it's time to get ready for next game.... I thought Shaq and Mo were very influential in the middle and the final third.

GaryC

Jurgen has imbued this team with leaders across the pitch - Hendo, Virgil, Robertson, Milner, Salah - and we are reaping the benefits now with a relentless, well oiled Red Machine similar to the Reds of the 70's and 80's. The cherry on the cake is we have Jurgen. I wouldn't trade him for any of the other Managers, including Pochettino. So, regardless whether we go on to win no.19, I will enjoy this season without fear. Bring it on!

costared

TIA Reserve Team
A few candidates for MOTM following a great performance . Hendo edged it for me , good to see him getting the credit he deserves now. What powerful competition in our mid field at the moment. Hendo at his best, Fabinho has been brilliant once he found his way into the team, Gini having his best season, Milner incredibly consistent and Shaqu looking good in the 10 role. Looking good but a long way to go.
Let's hope for a happy 2019 for all at LFC and all the supporters.

FGred

OK. Repeat the same process and we will be at 102 points in May!
We should aim for all wins until may and get 108 points greedy or what but I agree even if we drop another 6 points like the first half of the season it should still be enough to win it?

koptician

We'll go again!
Absolutely. If we can keep the gap to even 4 points it will be massive given we are the only contender who will have played 2 of the 'big 6' twice. I've included Manchester United in that for hysterical historical reasons.
Spurs' run atm is pretty easy on paper but with 2 cup games against Chelsea (and possibly a final v City) and the resumption of the CL they are going to have a brutal schedule coming up.
Aren’t they losing Son to the Asia Cup?

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Only thing that concerns me sliiightly going forward into 2019 is Sadio.

He's been ok recently, but his finishing, touch and decision making just isn't quite working out for him at the moment.

That's definitely something I've noticed with him, he's very hot and cold. When it's going well for him, he's deadly. He can come up with the odd goal here or there but rarely puts together a string of man of the match contending performances like Mo can. Hopefully things will start to click again soon and he'll start banging them in again (or getting assists).

At that point we'll then really start putting teams to the sword. Would be great to see now we head towards FA cup, CL fixtures and we need all our goalscorers firing on all fronts. It does say a lot about the squad Jurgen has built that we've been able to have such an amazing start with only Mo really on form (and that's only just started happening recently anyway).

[email protected]

We should aim for all wins until may and get 108 points greedy or what but I agree even if we drop another 6 points like the first half of the season it should still be enough to win it?
Not that we should count on it, of course but 16 wins and 3 draws gets us to 102. Therefore the best result that City or Spurs could get against us in a head to head would be a draw and a point. Even if one of them goes on to win all 18 of their games they would still get 'only' 100 points.

Not that I think this would happen but it does answer your question :-)