• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool v Newcastle (EPL 26/12/2018 3pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Lovren [GOAL 11’]

Votes: 34 21.8%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Robertson [off 80’]

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Henderson

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • Wijnaldum [off 61’]

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Shaqiri [GOAL 79’]

Votes: 19 12.2%
  • Salah [GOAL 47’]

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • Firmino [off 68’]

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Mane [GOAL 31’]

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Fabinho [on 61’, GOAL 84’]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Sturridge [on 68’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clyne [on 80’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeoT

Keys is a buffoon. It is scarcely worth considering the opinions of someone who has never played the game at a high level, nor done a refereeing course....but has managed to get himself fired for saying stupid things about a referee.

Firstly, the FA are not going to overturn a call made on the field where there is no obvious error of judgement - and there was absolutely contact. It was soft, but it is impossible to know how much of it is deliberately going down easy, and how much is a smaller man off-balance getting shoved as he tries to shift his balance. The FA will never overturn a referee's call on that.

Secondly, it was a clear penalty. The only reason it is even vaguely controversial is because of how stupid a foul it was - arms extended into Salah's body, perpendicular to the line of sight of the referee, preventing Salah from completing a move. The referee has a better view of it than any of the camera angles. Salah going to ground is essentially irrelevant to the actual rules violation, though of course we all know that he probably doesn't get it otherwise. A defender who uses his arms to impede an attacker in the box is just inviting the referee to award a penalty.
Salah virtually never goes down when fouled.

I think Salah has learnt that when you are running in one direction, and a defender tries to push your upper arm & shoulder in the opposite direction, just roll with it an go down.
I'm not sure it would be enough to bring me down, however I haven't been struggling for half a season with a shoulder injury.

Well done Mo Salah.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I was surprised JK went so strong in this one. On paper at least it looked straightforward and one where a few could be rested but there is value in turning the screw on City just as they started to show signs of cracking. Screw well and truly turned now.

We are playing without any outward signs of pressure. I keep reading that we're not in top gear etc but we are winning matches without having to work hard because we are just so much better than the teams we are playing. I am not sure how we could have improved much on the second half performance. A few party tricks coming out and a real shame Mane's drive at the end was just a bit too high. What a goal that would have been. Poor Newcastle completely battered. I felt for Rafa at the end there but he knew what he was walking into.

Some debate now about how good this team is in comparison with teams gone by. Fortunately (unfortunately?) I am old enough to have seen better Liverpool teams but certainly not since we last won the title.

FGred

Not that we should count on it, of course but 16 wins and 3 draws gets us to 102. Therefore the best result that City or Spurs could get against us in a head to head would be a draw and a point. Even if one of them goes on to win all 18 of their games they would still get 'only' 100 points.

Not that I think this would happen but it does answer your question :-)
OK then I will settle for that if it ever happens

Alright Now

I'm trying to catch up with yesterday's events and came across this.

A daily pic as evidence is acceptable.:well done:
Well, I’ll be darned! Have I been hacked?lol

In fairness to me, I did look for gravy last night because I am now firmly in the superstition camp (@nobluff starting threads, @Lowton_Red posting about slippery fruits, @jabu with his opening one-liner, and @Scott Jones and @Maria being banished from live viewing). However, we were out of gravy. I will see if my daughter will make some today and pour it over my head.

This does bring up the potential of a new thread: Things I Would Do if the Reds Won the League.

Last edited:

phil smith

Only saw the first hour of the game then lost my link with my provider.
A thoroughly professional performance with no one needing to be outstanding but everyone playing their part.
Gave Dejan my MOM (first time ever) for his stunning goal and a mistake free game.

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
Just went and exchanged some Xmas presents and had TalkSport on in the car (I'm a 16/35 shirt if anyone is struggling for my upcoming bday).

The Utd caller moaning about Mo's blatant cheating put a smile on my face...when he stated that he hated Ronaldo winning all those frees I laughed out loud...when he said he wouldn't have celebrated a win if Mo's penalty was the deciding goal I did a little pee-pee in my underpants.

Also heard at least five Utd fans saying they'd rather anyone else win it...fair to say that if you extrapolate the sample outwards there will be some pretty tasty salt on offer if we keep this up...

Alright Now

Just went and exchanged some Xmas presents and had TalkSport on in the car (I'm a 16/35 shirt if anyone is struggling for my upcoming bday).

The Utd caller moaning about Mo's blatant cheating put a smile on my face...when he stated that he hated Ronaldo winning all those frees I laughed out loud...when he said he wouldn't have celebrated a win if Mo's penalty was the deciding goal I did a little pee-pee in my underpants.

Also heard at least five Utd fans saying they'd rather anyone else win it...fair to say that if you extrapolate the sample outwards there will be some pretty tasty salt on offer if we keep this up...
As far as the protests around Mo's PK, in the immortal words of the great VVD: "Who cares?"

LeoT

Can't believe that this non-story gained traction. As if there haven't been far worse penalties given to certain teams.
Seems there are a lot of butthurt individuals out there.
I don't think its an innocent "non-story", I think of it as a reporter influencing the refs against us for the next couple of games.

Should Salah be in a similar position against Arsenal or Citteh and go down, he will probably not get a pen, but probably a yellow card for diving (regardless of whether he was fouled or not), because "Everybody knows he goes down easy"

I think Benetez used to refer to this kind of stuff as "Fergie man-marking the 4th official", its those small percentages that can cause you to win or lose a title.

Limiescouse

Surprised it was even printed. A complete non-story.
Mark Halsey (former Prem ref) made similar comments (to those of Keyes) on his twitter. Whatever anyone may think about the actual legitimacy of the foul though, this sort of incident is clearly not what the new rule these two baffoons are citing was brought in to address.

Last edited:

FGred

I don't think its an innocent "non-story", I think of it as a reporter influencing the refs against us for the next couple of games.

Should Salah be in a similar position against Arsenal or Citteh and go down, he will probably not get a pen, but probably a yellow card for diving (regardless of whether he was fouled or not), because "Everybody knows he goes down easy"

I think Benetez used to refer to this kind of stuff as "Fergie man-marking the 4th official", its those small percentages that can cause you to win or lose a title.
Now that we are doing so well this sort of thing is going to happen a lot more often and the usual suspects will gain cause because most Refs are ex SAF trainees anyway

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
I saw the highlights. We were still in 2nd gear by the end of that match. Everyone played their part.

Keep calm and carry on Redmen!
2nd gear??! I thought we barely touched 1st!! It was a stroll in the park. I can only recollect two attempts by them!! If mane had his shooting boots, the score line would have been 8-0 something!!

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Keys is a buffoon. It is scarcely worth considering the opinions of someone who has never played the game at a high level, nor done a refereeing course....but has managed to get himself fired for saying stupid things about a referee.

Firstly, the FA are not going to overturn a call made on the field where there is no obvious error of judgement - and there was absolutely contact. It was soft, but it is impossible to know how much of it is deliberately going down easy, and how much is a smaller man off-balance getting shoved as he tries to shift his balance. The FA will never overturn a referee's call on that.

Secondly, it was a clear penalty. The only reason it is even vaguely controversial is because of how stupid a foul it was - arms extended into Salah's body, perpendicular to the line of sight of the referee, preventing Salah from completing a move. The referee has a better view of it than any of the camera angles. Salah going to ground is essentially irrelevant to the actual rules violation, though of course we all know that he probably doesn't get it otherwise. A defender who uses his arms to impede an attacker in the box is just inviting the referee to award a penalty.
It was a clear pull on the arm and if it happened anywhere else on the pitch it would given as a foul, ye Salah made a meal of it so that ref wouldnt try and play the advantage rule, not that there would be any

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Anything more than Zero points and we will still be top! That is a great place to be with very little pressure. Imagine the pressure on City if they go into the Jan 3rd still 7 or more points behind!

BUT………………….

Forget all that, lets just focus on Arsenal for now and see where things stand after that!

We have only conceded 7! AND, 2 of those were our own fault! That is a mad Stat! Allisson and VVD have taken our defence to a place I can barely remember ( late 70's early 80's!)! And our attack seems to be finding that cohesion we were lacking early on! If they click fully like last season we are going to have a hell of a ride until May!
Only conceding 7 in the league is unbelievable especially comparing football now to the 70's & 80's as the pass back rule makes it harder to control a game. Impressive turnaround this last 12 months

Limiescouse

Only conceding 7 in the league is unbelievable especially comparing football now to the 70's & 80's as the pass back rule makes it harder to control a game. Impressive turnaround this last 12 months
In December alone City have conceded 50 % more league goals than we have in the league all season. With a record of only 7 conceded at this stage, anyway you spin it it's going to look nuts, but the one that really jumps out to me is that no one (in the league) has managed to get a second goal against us.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I cannot believe the fuss over the Pen. Just watched it again on the LFCtv highlights and on 5.32 mins the defender definitely grabbed Salahs arm and pulled him off balance preventing the chance of a shot on goal. A very clear Pen yet some stupid ex league Ref and a brainless ex Pro amongst others are trying to suggest it was not. Fortunately the FA it as a clear Pen and after all they make the rules.
Just last week Salah was criticised by some for not going down when fouled. Sometimes you just cannot win.