POST MATCH: Liverpool v Newcastle (EPL 26/12/2018 3pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Lovren [GOAL 11’]

Votes: 34 21.8%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Robertson [off 80’]

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Henderson

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • Wijnaldum [off 61’]

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Shaqiri [GOAL 79’]

Votes: 19 12.2%
  • Salah [GOAL 47’]

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • Firmino [off 68’]

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Mane [GOAL 31’]

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Fabinho [on 61’, GOAL 84’]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Sturridge [on 68’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clyne [on 80’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sms1986

Rafael Benitez paid tribute to Liverpool supporters for the warm reception he received once again at Anfield on Boxing Day.

The former Reds boss, now in charge of Newcastle United, brought his team to Merseyside for a Premier League clash ultimately won 4-0 by the hosts.
It was the fifth time Benitez, who led Liverpool from 2004 to 2010 and lifted the Champions League during his first season at the helm, returned to Anfield as a visiting manager.
His name was sung on several occasions by the home crowd in recognition of his standing among supporters – a gesture appreciated by the Spaniard.
“I have to say thank you very much to our fans, the Newcastle United fans – and also to the Liverpool fans,” Benitez told BBC Sport.
“My relationship with the city, the fans and the club is fantastic and will be fantastic forever.”
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/331852-rafa-benitez-liverpool-fans-anfield

FilthyBloke

I cannot believe the fuss over the Pen. Just watched it again on the LFCtv highlights and on 5.32 mins the defender definitely grabbed Salahs arm and pulled him off balance preventing the chance of a shot on goal. A very clear Pen yet some stupid ex league Ref and a brainless ex Pro amongst others are trying to suggest it was not. Fortunately the FA it as a clear Pen and after all they make the rules.
Just last week Salah was criticised by some for not going down when fouled. Sometimes you just cannot win.
I’m still seething over harry Kane’s blatant dive against karius last season.
And drogba for about four seasons.

Salahs was a soft penalty but contact was made, and enough contact to put salah off balance which is all that matters.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Mark Halsey (former Prem ref) made similar comments (to those of Keyes) on his twitter. Whatever anyone may think about the actual legitimacy of the foul though, this sort of incident is clearly not what the new rule these two baffoons are citing was brought in to address.
I guess we know that Halsey would still have been a crap ref with VAR. I still remember that Shelvey-Evans 50/50 where both went in recklessly on the ball, Evans went in two-footed, and Shelvey got kicked and the red. I recall also that season that sometime fairly early on, October maybe, when there was a bit of an outcry about just how many terrible refereeing performances we had seen, someone compiled a top 10 list of terrible decisions, and Halsey managed to place twice.

sms1986

Salahs was a soft penalty but contact was made, and enough contact to put salah off balance which is all that matters.
It was a penalty for sure, those who say it wasn't are just bitter, I don't think we should care too much about what they think of the penalty.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I cannot believe the fuss over the Pen. Just watched it again on the LFCtv highlights and on 5.32 mins the defender definitely grabbed Salahs arm and pulled him off balance preventing the chance of a shot on goal. A very clear Pen yet some stupid ex league Ref and a brainless ex Pro amongst others are trying to suggest it was not. Fortunately the FA it as a clear Pen and after all they make the rules.
Just last week Salah was criticised by some for not going down when fouled. Sometimes you just cannot win.
Spot on.

There is never any situation in which pulling somebody's arm should not be a foul.

Even a minor pull can put you off balance, why should defenders be allowed to get away with using such tactics to cover for their lack of ability to defend properly?

This isn't about football not being a contact sport anymore, as Phil Neville predictably moaned about, it's about not letting mediocre alehouse footballers like Paul Dummett being given unfair advantages over players like Salah. If you want to knock someone off balance, use your body. If you want to win the ball, tackle. Pulling arms/shirts should always be a foul & a yellow in my book.

Sweeting

He went down easily, but I have no sympathy for defenders who put themselves in stupid situations. If you don't want to concede a penalty then don't pull his arm.

Similar to defenders who "hang a leg". You're asking for it.

Last edited:

jaffod

It was a penalty for sure, those who say it wasn't are just bitter, I don't think we should care too much about what they think of the penalty.
The problem is there are plenty of referees who'll be more determined than ever not to "be influenced by the Kop" and we've seen over the last few years the effect that has had, blatant penalties not given as a matter of routine, especially at Anfield.
It's a fucking disgrace how all these clowns are more than happy to give an opinion when they think we've benefitted somehow even though it was a definite penalty. Where were they when Bobby got shoved into the crowd by Holgate? When Gomez, Henderson and Can were all basically assaulted in various games against Man U? Where were they when we were denied blatant pens at Anfield, OT, the Hawthorns etc last season? Fucking nowhere to be seen.
This is where Klopp needs to be smarter. He needs to front up the media wankers in his pre-game conference and tell them how it is, Salah was fouled in the box so it was a fucking penalty, he felt contact so was 'entitled to go down' as we hear the likes of Shearer and Wright say every week on MOTD.
They can't stop us on the pitch right now so you can bet any money they'll be looking for other ways to stop us the cunts.

Limiescouse

Spot on.

There is never any situation in which pulling somebody's arm should not be a foul.

Even a minor pull can put you off balance, why should defenders be allowed to get away with using such tactics to cover for their lack of ability to defend properly?

This isn't about football not being a contact sport anymore, as Phil Neville predictably moaned about, it's about not letting mediocre alehouse footballers like Paul Dummett being given unfair advantages over players like Salah. If you want to knock someone off balance, use your body. If you want to win the ball, tackle. Pulling arms/shirts should always be a foul & a yellow in my book.
Agreed. Comparing it to the penalty claim Watford had against Chelsea is illustrative.

In that move Deulofeu couldnt quite get ahead of Luiz, so the defender had no need to grab him to pull him back. When they came together that did so side by side, in a genuine 50-50 contest for position on the ball. Deulofeu then created and issue by grabbing the defender's arm and throwing himself on the floor. From 3 sides it looked like a cast iron pen. Only from the side that showed him grab Luiz arm did you see why it wasn't a pen. Great defending from Luiz and shows that defenders are allowed to use their body to challenge for and maintain position on the ball.

For ours, Salah was in behind their defender who decided he had to resort to grabbing his arm/shoulder to try and pull him back and thus gain an unfair advantage. It is one of those sneaky ones defenders do they know is marginal and so know the refs dont like to give them. Well, forwards know that as well and know that it makes it a lot more difficult not to give it if they elect to play up the impact by going down. Let's not kid ourselves with discussions on it being easy to knock over a payer running at that pace - Mo chose to go down. However, he did not look for contact the enable him to win a pen. He did not pretend contact had been made when it had not. He simply understood that he had been fouled and refs only give those ones if you go down.

He went down easily, but I have sympathy for defenders who put themselves in stupid situations. If you don't want to concede a penalty then don't pull his arm.

Similar to defenders who "hang a leg". You're asking for it.
I think that is slightly but importantly different. As a player, you need to concern yourself with what you give the ref the opportunity to blow for. That's why hanging a leg is dangerous, because regardless of what actually happens you are running the risk of thinking something happened. Lovren's pen on the Everton lad last season is a good example of this. No intent. Questionable if it was a foul, but the nature of the contact gave the ref the options. This was different because it was a conscious effort to foul Mo. That is not "putting yourself in a stupid situation". It is choosing to illegally impeed an opponent.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Let's not kid ourselves with discussions on it being easy to knock over a payer running at that pace - Mo chose to go down.
Just to clarify, I agree. He easily could have stayed up.

That said, I don't think that's all that important. Even a slight pull can alter your body shape when striking the ball and cause a mishit, that alone should be enough for a foul to be called. Unfortunately the reality is that referees almost never blow unless a player falls to the floor.

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
I can’t tell you how much I am enjoying watching us this season. I know everyone will rave about the scoreline and our position in the league but this is a special team. Treasure these moments my fellow posters. We will be talking to our grandchildren about where we were when we won the league the FA cup and the CL with Juergen Klopp

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
It's so hard not to get carried away. So so hard.
I have been waiting for 28 years. Can the wait be finally over ?
Watching the team play, it's so so hard not get ahead of myself.

SBYM

Who's the fella owns this shithole?
It's so hard not to get carried away. So so hard.
I have been waiting for 28 years. Can the wait be finally over ?
Watching the team play, it's so so hard not get ahead of myself.
Very true, indeed.

Our secret weapon in this regard is the mgr. He has danced this dance before in the Bundesliga. Admittedly, the decade between Dortmund's last win and 2011 pales in comparison to our three decade wait, but he will be keeping the most important feet planted firmly on the ground.

It certainly doesn't matter so much if we're all losing our shit; all we're risking are our own broken hearts and the mocking of other fans, but fuck 'em...I'd rather follow Liverpool in the National League North than any other club.

Greatest show on earth.