• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Norwich (9/8/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson [off]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Gomez

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Van Dijk [GOAL 28’]

Votes: 20 11.6%
  • Robertson

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 31 18.0%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Salah [GOAL 18’]

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • Firmino [off 85’]

Votes: 122 70.9%
  • Origi [GOAL 41’, off 74’]

Votes: 43 25.0%
  • Adrian [on]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mane [on 74’]

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Milner [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Losing Alisson really cast a massive shadow over my joy on winning this game.

Bobby, Hendo and Big Div got my votes. Mo could have gotten one vote from me too.

The corners were woeful again. In fact, I think that the youngsters took better corners in the pre-season, Nevertheless, Virg's goal was from Mo's corner (just when my stream crapped out, so I thought it was Mo whom took the corner).

I think that the defensive lines will pick up fairly quickly, and back to our high standard....at least I hope so.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Okay, honest appraisal of this game: We played an offensively good game in the first half, but we all, or most of us anyway, saw that Norwich could easily have scored 1-3 goals in that half and we failed to dominate the half despite scoring 4. That is a worry against better opposition. Then on to the second half, in this half we were completely complacent, but actually dominated unlike the first half. We were terribly ineffective though, and Norwich created chances and managed indeed, to score a nice goal. In short, we lost the second half and won the first half in a very unconvincing manner.
This display was more than good enough to beat Norwich, and probably a few other teams as well, but this display should worry us, since our midfield and defence were defensively very weak today.
At the same time, I had a fantastic time watching the first half, it was nice on the eye despite the fact that we never dominated and Norwich should have scored (rather because of that it was extra entertaining) . But there is a massive amount of work to be done in training based on this game. It can only be better, so no reason to despair or anything like this. Still, this was a worry. Thankful for the 3 points though !
Decent summary of the game but despite the defence being a bit iffy , its only the first game of the season so teams aren't up to scratch yet so any win is the important thing

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Far too open at the back for my liking, but we can’t be disappointed with the result. Our passing wasn’t good enough at times and yet I know we’ll get better. It was a bit of a strange injury that hit Ally Becker. Was it a twisted ankle?

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Easy win in the end, but is anyone really happy with the 2nd half performance? While there were positives, Firminho was excellent, the back four concerned me. Specifically, TAA and Gomez, together I don’t think it works and I’d prefare to see Matip next to Virgil. Anyway, we got the win and let’s hope Allison’s injury isn’t too serious.

Sweeting

A bit to work on defensively as we seem fairly easy to expose at the moment but I expect that's nothing a bit of tweaking won't fix - and gametime.

Norwich look a lovely team. They steamrolled the Championship last season playing quick passing football and it is going to serve them well at home against the bottom 12 teams in the league. Hopefully they have enough to stay up; not that you have to be anything special to do that with the distinctly not PL level Sheffield Utd and the upcoming disaster that will be Newcastle.

Attacking we looked fairly good but its unusual that all our goals came during periods when we were not playing well (and we conceded when we were absolutely rampant).

Good start, a few tweaks to iron out as the season progresses. Hopefully Alisson isn't serious.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Very impressive in parts and then all over the place defensively. Trent in particular can be got at because he leaves acres of space at times and is sometimes unaware of players running in behind him. He's young of course, an assists machine going forward but I'm not totally convinced he will remain a fullback as he matures.
Bobby mom by miles for me. Please let Alisson be okay.

Flobs

FADA
Neville said Norwich could have had another 4or5 goals, so I guess we should just give them the points.
Funny he said that as I thought we could have had another 10 goals. I just couldn't believe that we didn't score in the second half. We were all over them. Then again Neville is used to that when he played for Utd, the opposition all over them the whole match then a flukey penalty to bail them out. :unhappy:

IndredCold

Difficult to gauge how good we really were tonight. Norwich seemed to suffer from stage fright and from the moment that own goal went in it was all a bit too easy. I can't imagine we will be encountering many defences as inviting as theirs.
I liked the industry and application from Origi and Firmino, the rest were nothing special. Some unusual sloppiness in defence that I'm willing to chalk off as early season rustiness.
Still, 4 goals and 3 points to start off a season, what more can you wish for?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Norwich look like they have a good strategy to stay up. If they are happy to get walloped by most of the top eight, they should beat teams at the bottom.

treboeth

Funny he said that as I thought we could have had another 10 goals. I just couldn't believe that we didn't score in the second half. We were all over them. Then again Neville is used to that when he played for Utd, the opposition all over them the whole match then a flukey penalty to bail them out.
Yeah but Gary said Norwich could have won this if we hadn`t turned up and scored those pesky goals(not an actual quote)

Flobs

FADA
Difficult to gauge how good we really were tonight. Norwich seemed to suffer from stage fright and from the moment that own goal went in it was all a bit too easy. I can't imagine we will be encountering many defences as inviting as theirs.
I liked the industry and application from Origi and Firmino, the rest were nothing special. Some unusual sloppiness in defence that I'm willing to chalk off as early season rustiness.
Still, 4 goals and 3 points to start off a season, what more can you wish for?
We were very good except for Gomez' lapses on alighnment. He looked like a very good young player who hadn't played competitively for a while. oh wait! :D

jimbo

TIA Regular
Alison before injury was good, made some good saves. Hopefully not out for too long.
Hoping more it’s not a torn calf muscle 4-5 weeks out possibly.

back 4 maybe, just maybe a little rusty.

routine win.

3 points. credit to Norwich for trying to play football.

Sweeting

Yeah but Gary said Norwich could have won this if we hadn`t turned up and scored those pesky goals(not an actual quote)
Carragher said "its strange to say of a team winning 4-1 but on another day they would have lost this game".

Which was more than a tad hyperbolic.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Carragher said "its strange to say of a team winning 4-1 but om another day they would have lost this game".

Which was more than a tad hyperbolic.
If we hadn’t been winning 4-0, we might have put a bit of effort into the second half.

We have the super cup on Wednesday. Of course we’re not going to play the second half in fifth gear when the games already won. I wish pundits would grow a fucking brain sometimes.